Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Forget about the damage, your character is huge! He should be a boss in his own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

:doh:

And yeah, that's like 3 or 4 "One Makes you Larger" pills. I couldn't see anything on the screen in regular-sized rooms.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, Prop works badly with Brim in Afterbirth, I really hate it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Wiki down for anyone else?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's amazing how many times in a row Eden can row low damage and slow starting speed at the same time.

e: There are way too many rooms where enemies spawn inside Isaac. And too many enemies that can just teleport in you with no recourse.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 4, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Soooo...Soy milk and Proptopsis + Polyphemus..is that a good combination? Anyone able to test it out?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It involves Soy Milk so almost certainly not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of items is it ever a good idea to pick up the cursed eye? It doesn't seem like it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

If you have black candle, or are playing the Lost, it can be worth it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If it gives you five brimstone shots in a row, then I guess then it'd be good there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of items is it ever a good idea to pick up the cursed eye? It doesn't seem like it.

Generally no but since it only teleports you if you're hit while it's fully charged, it can be good for items that give you huge tears but a slow firerate like polyphemus. It's also useful if you happen to have 20/20 at the same time.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 4, 2016

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

CJacobs posted:

Generally no but since it only teleports you if you're hit while it's fully charged, it can be good for items that give you huge tears but a slow firerate like polyphemus.

You have it backwards, it only teleports you if you're hit while it's charging.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whoops, never mind then. Continue not ever picking up cursed eye.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Cursed Eye is fine, if a bit situational. The increased burst damage is great against bosses, since you only certain windows to hit them for most of them. It also has some nice synergies with dead eye and tear status effects.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
I've grown to appreciate Cursed Eye since they added a ton of synergies to it in Afterbirth. It's not always a guaranteed pick-up, but those times when you have the right items (piercing is definitely number one priority) it's really fun. If you have enough tears up, the teleport hardly matters because your charge is so fast, and you can abuse it to get out of certain situations.

Also having that mod that adds charge bars really makes a huge difference to its usability, I don't know how I played without it.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

The teleportation in cursed eye can be removed with anti-curse items like black candle, can't it?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I don't think so, but man that should work.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Black Candle works. Marked also removes the effect and basically turns Cursed Eye into a free Tears Up.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Black Candle didn't always block Cursed Eye but it does now. On the other hand I still don't think there's any situation in which cursed eye would be straight-up superior to good old tear firehose, and it screws up a couple of fun synergies. It's ok to pick up if you like using it, but I don't think you're missing anything by skipping over it.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Black Candle Cursed Eye is an Afterbirth change after rumours of it working came about in Rebirth

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IMJack posted:

The Brains! challenge totally disables both Maw of the Void and the Spear of Destiny.

This sucks.

Edit: At least it doesn't disable the death field from the Succubus.

All Blindfold challenges do this. I learned the Spear of Destiny one firsthand a while ago.

E:

Power of Pecota posted:

Maw of the Void and whatever the guardian sword item is called not working in a blindfold challenge is dumb.

deja vu

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 4, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This has been bugging me for a bit, what does the rock symbol on the map in the in-between level loading screens mean? It's always right in front of Isaac on it.

e: Becoming Bob while having the lucky rock and bumbo is hilarious

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 4, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

This has been bugging me for a bit, what does the rock symbol on the map in the in-between level loading screens mean? It's always right in front of Isaac on it.

e: Becoming Bob while having the lucky rock and bumbo is hilarious

It's a clock and basically shows you the pace of getting to the boss rush.

It kind of evenly spreads the time across all levels leading up to Mom though so it's not entirely accurate with how much longer Depths levels take than Basement levels.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's why I liked the Undefined + Chest/Dark Room combo so much. Sometimes you just don't want the fun to end. It's a shame they took that from us.

I didn't realize that was removed. I've only gotten undefined in the chest once since afterbirth came out since I usually have something better and thought I was just unlucky after sharp plugging myself with it four times in a row.

I think it was a huge mistake for them to wait until afterbirth to fix so many things like this or book of belial. When a bug's in the game from day 1 and you don't fix it for a full year despite people pointing it out all the time it kinda comes off as working as intended instead. Especially when you're actively doing patches during that time and fixing other bugs.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wrist Watch posted:

I didn't realize that was removed. I've only gotten undefined in the chest once since afterbirth came out since I usually have something better and thought I was just unlucky after sharp plugging myself with it four times in a row.

I think it was a huge mistake for them to wait until afterbirth to fix so many things like this or book of belial. When a bug's in the game from day 1 and you don't fix it for a full year despite people pointing it out all the time it kinda comes off as working as intended instead. Especially when you're actively doing patches during that time and fixing other bugs.

Yeah but when they put stuff like this in patches they get people complaining about where their priorities lie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jibo posted:

It's a clock and basically shows you the pace of getting to the boss rush.

It kind of evenly spreads the time across all levels leading up to Mom though so it's not entirely accurate with how much longer Depths levels take than Basement levels.

Oh cool, I've done it a few times and was wondering what triggered it.

Also I got the item that turns tears to coins, ipecac, and bob, so I was firing explosive coins and basically one-shot Satan.

9hotonic
Jan 29, 2016

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"
on yesterday's daily run i got mom's knife and ludovico. that was a very interesting game and i would have won but holy poo poo it was so slow i died in the cathedral and now im sad :c

i wish i could come across that in a normal run and a shot speed upgrade or two. that would be so much fun

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

9hotonic posted:

on yesterday's daily run i got mom's knife and ludovico. that was a very interesting game and i would have won but holy poo poo it was so slow i died in the cathedral and now im sad :c

i wish i could come across that in a normal run and a shot speed upgrade or two. that would be so much fun

That combo was brutal and didn't work for me at all. I ended up finishing the run but it would've been way easier without ludovico.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
doing the guardian challenge. managed to kill it lives but died because the punching bag was struck by its final attack. :fuckoff:

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
So I was doing the pay to play challenge (that ends at Isaac) when this happened. Can't you use sacrifice rooms to teleport at all or was my game just bugged out?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
You ran out of money, and in Pay to Play that kills you.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Poonerman posted:

doing the guardian challenge. managed to kill it lives but died because the punching bag was struck by its final attack. :fuckoff:

car battery + guppy's head saves the day.

now im on to brains and jesus christ is it supposed to be this tedious

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Poonerman posted:

now im on to brains and jesus christ is it supposed to be this tedious

Yep, Brains is just really terrible and boring.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

IMJack posted:

You ran out of money, and in Pay to Play that kills you.

It does? thought it only decreased the amount of damage you do.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It's part of the challenge. In addition to all doors costing a penny to open, all damage taken robs you of money like Greed hits, and if you reach 0 pennies you die.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Anyone else noticing lately that the same item will show up in shops on more than one floor? I'll see Jar of Flies or Starter Deck two or three floors in a row. Once I even rerolled the items in the room and it stayed there. It's not just on one run, either; it's somewhat regularly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eclipse12 posted:

Anyone else noticing lately that the same item will show up in shops on more than one floor? I'll see Jar of Flies or Starter Deck two or three floors in a row. Once I even rerolled the items in the room and it stayed there. It's not just on one run, either; it's somewhat regularly.

Something seems up with the rng to me, I don't think I've ever not seen the mask of infamy or ball of bandages for example. Tech .5 is pretty common too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Does Lilith have a greater chance of Cursed floors? I seem to get them a lot more often as her but I guess it could just be RNG coincidence

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Are you playing on Hard Mode? Those cause cursed floors to show up more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Got Polyphemus, Quarter, and an on-sale Steam Sale on Floor 1. Mutual kill to It Lives! as the Hush door opens.