Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

My nerves are running high like a kid on christmas. Can't wait to shoot aliens with my squad of native americans and k-pop idols.

I'm just gonna fiddle with the character pool for the first hour or so. I love that you can designate certain characters as scientists/engineers only, gonna build myself a science team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm just gonna fiddle with the character pool for the first hour or so. I love that you can designate certain characters as scientists/engineers only, gonna build myself a science team.

First hour? Man, I hardly ever cared about customization in EU/EW but god help me if I don't see myself losing hours to just messing around with XCOM2's soldier dolls.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What the hell is an alien codex?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Lunethex posted:

What the hell is an alien codex?

firewall/data nexus for alien psychic communications, kinda outsider equivalent

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm facing my greatest dilemma of my life to date: whether to make my planned David Bowie XCOM soldier into a Sword Ranger or a Psy-Operative.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Definitely psy-ops.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He's the Man Who Fell To Earth, naturally.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Christopher Odd made a video showing how to export/import character pools and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_AlvNvfa8

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so apparently steam changed the way you change your billing address from when people were vpning for fallout 4. you now have to put in actual information to change it.

Please enter a first name for your billing information.
Please enter a last name for your billing information.
Please enter your billing address.
Please enter your billing city.
Please enter a State or Province.
Please enter your zip or postal code.

thats the information you need. so rip vpning to play earlier i guess.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 4, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

so apparently steam changed the way you change your billing address from when people were vpning for fallout 4. you now have to put in actual information to change it.

Care to expand on this?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So what, Steam requires you to change your billing address if you log in from a different region, even if you aren't buying anything? :psyduck:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

While the game may not have regular controller support, it looks like it has pretty good Steam Controller support.

Like Kerbal Space Program, it'll dynamically change bindings depending on what screen you are on in the game.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

What are you talking about, you don't need to change anything except turn off steam, turn on vpn, turn on steam.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Vodos posted:

What are you talking about, you don't need to change anything except turn off steam, turn on vpn, turn on steam.

check the release date while vpning. if you dont change your billing address, it stays the same for your actual time zone. when you change your billing address and restart steam, the release date then changes.

i dont know if the store release date actually matters, but people seemed to think it did for fallout 4.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So you need to put in an aussie address fitting your VPN's general region? What's the australian equivalent of 1060 West Addison?

E: are you looking at the page in steam or firefox/chrome? That reddit post said to eye the clock with a browser, not steam, and that so long as you were VPN'd at the time of the release it'd start the unpacking.

Related: is there a convenient way to have my phone get pinged when this poo poo is Ready To Play? I plan to go run some errands while I wait for it, and knowing when exactly I could come home would own.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 4, 2016

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Just google a McDonalds or something in Australia, it's not that hard.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Roobanguy posted:

You don't need to do this, don't change your steam billing information unless you want to actually risk a ban.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Everyone vpning use the address on this page here

http://www.pipalyatjara.sa.edu.au/contact.htm

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

You don't need to do this, don't change your steam billing information unless you want to actually risk a ban.

are you 100% sure? because everyone in the fallout 4 thread seemed to think you had to before release. also i did that for fallout 4 and didnt get banned.

i honestly don't know if changing the billing address actually matters for the unlocking, but if you don't change it, the timers on the store page don't change.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You've never had to change your address. You just logged in through a VPN and Steam would go "Oh you're in Korea now, cool, here's this game that you can play since you're obviously definitely in Korea and not California."

Like that's the entire point of using a VPN.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Veotax posted:

While the game may not have regular controller support, it looks like it has pretty good Steam Controller support.

So uh, I've kept dark on this game... why the gently caress did they remove controller support :psyduck:

I loved using a gamepad in XCOM, the controls were perfect and I chilled on my couch zapping aliens for several weeks.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

VDay posted:

You've never had to change your address. You just logged in through a VPN and Steam would go "Oh you're in Korea now, cool, here's this game that you can play since you're obviously definitely in Korea and not California."

Like that's the entire point of using a VPN.

ill take your word for it then.

just another reason why the fallout 4 thread is bad.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

VDay posted:

Just google a McDonalds or something in Australia, it's not that hard.

But then I wouldn't be making an oblique Blues Brothers reference.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

victrix posted:

So uh, I've kept dark on this game... why the gently caress did they remove controller support :psyduck:

I loved using a gamepad in XCOM, the controls were perfect and I chilled on my couch zapping aliens for several weeks.

Apparently they didn't think it was important since the game isn't coming out on consoles.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
1 hour left on preload, working tonight, finishing at 4:45 in the morning, will get home just in time for unlock. Things are shaping up nicely!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

Apparently they didn't think it was important since the game isn't coming out on consoles.

thats RETARDED

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

victrix posted:

Yeah first I was shocked this wasn't coming for PS4, and now no controller support when it was by far my most preferred input unit. The weird thing is I hate using the controller for pretty much anything else, FPS on a controller? blergh.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
WTf ?!?!?! why can't they use the same scheme as before? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Steam will gently caress you if you try to buy games for a different currency. I live in Iceland right now but I still have my steam account tied to my Danish card with my home billing address, I'm paying in Euro's which is fine. But if I were to try and VPN myself to Mexico and pay in Mexibucks (with an EU card) they'd take issue with that. All you need to do is log in, Steam checks the game against your location and unlocks and you log off, turn off the VPN and download the day 1patch. It takes all of 10 seconds.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So you're saying if you log into steam right now, with Australia set as your vpn location, it'll tell you to update your home address? And you've seen this screen/prompt? Has anyone else?

edit: I re-read this page of the thread. Apparently it'll probably just work as normal, according to other posters.

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 4, 2016

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Steam will gently caress you if you try to buy games for a different currency. I live in Iceland right now but I still have my steam account tied to my Danish card with my home billing address, I'm paying in Euro's which is fine. But if I were to try and VPN myself to Mexico and pay in Mexibucks (with an EU card) they'd take issue with that. All you need to do is log in, Steam checks the game against your location and unlocks and you log off, turn off the VPN and download the day 1patch. It takes all of 10 seconds.

Actually nowadays the game will re-lock itself if you turn off the VPN. You need to go into Steam's offline mode to circumvent that, or just leave the VPN running until it's unlocked in your region.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vodos posted:

Actually nowadays the game will re-lock itself if you turn off the VPN. You need to go into Steam's offline mode to circumvent that, or just leave the VPN running until it's unlocked in your region.

Really? I didn't have that issue with Fallout 4.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I remember having to manually change store region for Fallout 4, but I didn't need to change my billing address.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Really? I didn't have that issue with Fallout 4.

Interesting, so that would be something the developers can control? I definitely had that issue with a game, I can't remember which game it was though, something in November 2015 I guess.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vodos posted:

Interesting, so that would be something the developers can control? I definitely had that issue with a game, I can't remember which game it was though, something in November 2015 I guess.

No I'm misremembering, I didn't unlock Fallout 4 early, it was The Witcher 3 which is almost a year ago now so it could easily have changed.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I tried to VPN Fallout 4, but ended up loving my poo poo over so much that I lost my pre-load and had to wait nearly a day extra just to redownload the game from start again.

Basically, I'd only do the VPN if I had a substantial gain from it and being forced to redownload the entire thing because it got corrupted tells me I just want to do it normally this time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Mordaedil posted:

I tried to VPN Fallout 4, but ended up loving my poo poo over so much that I lost my pre-load and had to wait nearly a day extra just to redownload the game from start again.

Basically, I'd only do the VPN if I had a substantial gain from it and being forced to redownload the entire thing because it got corrupted tells me I just want to do it normally this time.

Is that because you have a slow connection, or some other reason? I'm on 120mb/s (terrible awful comcast) so I downloaded the pre-load in under an hour, wasn't really paying attention to the exact time.

Or is it because you couldn't log in for a day, or something?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Luckily I have ice hockey practice tonight so i'm fairly sure i'm going to get home and sleep through until it unlocks.

Go faster time dammit!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Mordaedil posted:

OTOH I did the same with Fallout 4 and never had any trouble (besides its inherent bugginess). I really don't know how you'd messed up so bad you need to redownload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

VDay posted:

I don't know much about this stuff but I am literally in Korea and my steam client lists the game as being available at North/South America's release time, and not Korea's.

However, if I view it through the browser it lists the game as being available at Asia/Australia's release time so I don't know what the gently caress