Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Our Lord and Saviour, Rees Preistland is getting a start against the forces of darkness today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He seems to be winning.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
loving Priestland. One poo poo kick and Sarries turn the field round and score.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat, that comeback rush.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Once the try went over Bath broke

loving Priestland

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Edinburgh are a raging dumpster fire and the only reason they're not being worn like a hat by Cardiff is because the Gods have decided to shaft Cardiff hard.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

No matter how poo poo your team is, you can always rest easy knowing that they're probably being better run than the Southern Kings Super Rugby franchise. Good god, what a mess.

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2016/rugby/story/285249.html

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tarbrush posted:

Once the try went over Bath broke

loving Priestland

Who thought signing Priestland was a good idea?!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Plucky Brit posted:

Who thought signing Priestland was a good idea?!

Apart from him and his mum?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
The Pro 12 table is so messed up after today's "top of the table" fixture in Galway, that even after Ulster and Munster catch up on points, we're still guaranteed at least one Comedy Team in the top 4 :

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

Vaders Jester posted:

Edinburgh are a raging dumpster fire and the only reason they're not being worn like a hat by Cardiff is because the Gods have decided to shaft Cardiff hard.

How was the game? I didn't get to see it, and reading that Cardiff scored all 10 of their points inside the first 15 minutes, it sounded pretty poo poo. I'm a delusional Cardiff apologist, but even I'd admit that losing to us recently is embarrassing.

Plucky Brit posted:

Who thought signing playing Priestland was a good idea?!

Everybody in Wales had had the same question for years

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

tarbrush posted:

Apart from him and his mum?

Maybe he was signed so Ford would look like Carter by comparison.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

The Pro 12 table is so messed up after today's "top of the table" fixture in Galway, that even after Ulster and Munster catch up on points, we're still guaranteed at least one Comedy Team in the top 4 :

Heh, didn't Priestland used to play for the Scarlets?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They might as well send him to an Italian side.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
As an Ulster fan I'm making GBS threads myself. We have Charlie Piutau joining next year in what could be a challenge cup side. Hope we can slime our way in front of Munster before the end of the season though.

Our coach did say we had two big name signings to announce this week, it'll probably be someone I've never heard of and a Leinster substitute though.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

stavros880 posted:

How was the game? I didn't get to see it, and reading that Cardiff scored all 10 of their points inside the first 15 minutes, it sounded pretty poo poo. I'm a delusional Cardiff apologist, but even I'd admit that losing to us recently is embarrassing.

Awful. Basically Cardiff butchered 3 possible tries and the Edinburgh backs were as fuckawful as they always are, just without the usual set piece and break down dominance that Edinburgh work off due to the 6N. The ref also let Cardiff away with at least two dangerous tackles without any yellow card being shown, including one by Ma'afu that was a very blatant no arms tackle against a player without the ball. (Not that Edinburgh would have made anything of it, they were utterly shite and deserve the loss.).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think Quins are playing their junior team.

zzttaozia
Aug 26, 2009

suck it down

goatface posted:

I think Quins are playing their junior team.

loving shocking. Gonna slip down a few places in the premiership over the next few weeks I reckon. Mind you Saints next weekend and they haven't been looking sharp recently.

When's Super Rugby starting?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Friendlies are starting this weekend in Australia, Tahs v Brumbies, so not very friendly. I'd imagine it's the same all around.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
:siren: It's Here!!:siren:

Also linked it in the OP.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Tyma posted:

:siren: It's Here!!:siren:

Also linked it in the OP.

people are going to DIE.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
After reading the bonus rules, I think a whole lot of people are about to embark on a life of sobriety.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

zzttaozia posted:

loving shocking. Gonna slip down a few places in the premiership over the next few weeks I reckon. Mind you Saints next weekend and they haven't been looking sharp recently.

When's Super Rugby starting?

Later this month. 26th or thereabouts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So Cooper's playing for the Aussie 7s team? I don't understand this apparent obsession with selecting him when he's proven every time that he lacks the temperament for the big occasions.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

So Cooper's playing for the Aussie 7s team? I don't understand this apparent obsession with selecting him when he's proven every time that he lacks the temperament for the big occasions.

If it leads to him getting sent off in a gold medal match v NZ for a foot-trip or something dumb I'm all for it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

The mainstream interest in watching Cooper fail at something is far greater than the mainstream interest in Rugby 7s?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Wales to play Ireland

15. Gareth Anscombe
14. George North
13. Jonathan Davies
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Tom James
10. Dan Biggar
09. Gareth Davies

01. Rob Evans
02. Scott Baldwin
03. Samson Lee
04. Luke Charteris
05. Alun Wyn Jones
06. Sam Warburton
07. Justin Tipuric
08. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements: Ken Owens, Gethin Jenkins, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Dan Lydiate, Lloyd Williams, :siren:Rhys Priestland:siren:, Alex Cuthbert.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
So I'm as pro-England and pro-Bath as they come, but I don't really understand in what universe Ollie DeVoto warrants an England place and Kyle Eastmond or any number of other promising centers don't.

Don't get me wrong, he's perfectly acceptable, but he's just not outstanding at anything.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Scotland side has been announced. John Barclay is back and Mark Bennett seems to have recovered from his shoulder injury. It might not be a total humiliation after all.

1. Al Dickinson
2. Ross Ford
3. WP Nel
4. Richie Gray
5. Jonny Gray
6. John Barclay
7. John Hardie
8. Dave Denton
9. Greig Laidlaw
10. Finn Russell
11. Tommy Seymour
12. Matt Scott
13. Mark Bennett
14. Sean Maitland
15. Stuart Hogg

16. Stuart McInally
17. Gordon Reid
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Blair Cowan
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22. Duncan Weir
23. Duncan Taylor

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
England: Mike Brown, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell, George Ford, Danny Care; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (captain), Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, George Kruis, Chris Robshaw, James Haskell and Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes, Jack Clifford, Ben Youngs, Alex Goode and Ollie Devoto.

Farrell at centre. DeVoto on the bench. We're going to kick EVERYTHING.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

England side looks about what I expected. Even with dad out of the picture, Farrell was always going to get into the side. I hope England do kick everything, Hogg plays best when he's allowed to run at the opposition (and not diving like a twat).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
We're going to be utter rubbish. The team isn't very creative and will again get hosed at the breakdown by anyone with a competent back row. We will lose a lot of boring shitfests 15-12

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

tarbrush posted:

We're going to be utter rubbish. The team isn't very creative and will again get hosed at the breakdown by anyone with a competent back row. We will lose a lot of boring shitfests 15-12

Never rule out Scotland's ability to piss a game away in the last minute of a match. Though Hardie and Barclay are going to beat the piss out of the England backrow in the breakdown.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Oh sure, but who wants to watch a game of kick tennis decided by whichever side happens to upset the ref at the deciding moment.

If my teams are going to be bad, I expect them to be fun or funny. This England side will be mediocre and very boring.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Farrell might throw a tantrum, that's at least funny to watch but yeah. It doesn't look like the most exciting team selection and sadly Rees Preistland is Welsh so they have the monopoly on comedy this year.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I suppose there is plenty of potential for comedy cards and aggrieved toddler faces

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
After all the talk of picking a proper 7, they end up with Haskell :confused:
Good to see Tom James back for Wales, not spectacular, but has been fairly solid recently. Weird seeing Cuthbert on the bench though, doesn't cover any other positions so will force a reshuffle if he had to come on.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Vagabundo posted:

Cooper's crab-like preference for running sideways at the slightest provocation makes him a natural Sevens player. I just want to see him get flattened by SBW like the jobber he is.

tarbrush posted:

England: Mike Brown, Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell, George Ford, Danny Care; Joe Marler, Dylan Hartley (captain), Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, George Kruis, Chris Robshaw, James Haskell and Billy Vunipola.

Replacements: Jamie George, Mako Vunipola, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes, Jack Clifford, Ben Youngs, Alex Goode and Ollie Devoto.

Not as new-look as I had hoped, to be honest. I thought Eddie Jones was going to bring a more interesting team to this one - for example, Itoje and Eastmond would make this a much more interesting side to watch.

Meanwhile, voici la composition équipe XV de France!

There's very little chance of them losing to Italy, obviously, but it will be interesting to see how Guirado fares as captain.

edit: Wales has 3 guys named Gareth and two Davies, but only one Jones...not sure about this one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Farrell at 12. Hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Yeah but who the hell else would you pick? Slade would be the 12 but he's injured. Kyle Eastmond is five foot seven and you can't have him next to George Ford in an international defense. He gets run over at club level already. Meanwhile we have a creative fly half and the most exciting 13 in the tournament. Wings are decent, full back is solid to great. I don't know what else you can ask for with who's available.

At 7 there just isn't a good fetcher in England (and Armitage aint coming back just now). Doesn't matter how much you want a proper number 7, Matt Kvesic just isn't that good and Haskell is leagues ahead of him as a rugby player.