Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You're loving stupid if you offer to ship anything out of country on eBay. Too many scammers being shielded by eBay's buyer protection to make it worth it.
I'm going to be honest with you. As someone living in a teeny island nation your position on this makes you sound like a bad stereotype. As someone who has had American sellers scam him with casts of miniatures rather than the miniature in the picture and for Ebay and Paypal to play "not my problem" keepaway... "bad stereotype" doesn't cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I've purchased plenty of stuff on eBay from UK, Poland, Russia, China etc and haven't had a problem. Paypal has resolved a few disputes. I won't sell my stuff outside the lower 48 USA tho because it costs too much to ship and paperwork sux

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm going to be honest with you. As someone living in a teeny island nation your position on this makes you sound like a bad stereotype. As someone who has had American sellers scam him with casts of miniatures rather than the miniature in the picture and for Ebay and Paypal to play "not my problem" keepaway... "bad stereotype" doesn't cover it.

There are a huge amount of eBay scammers, I wasn't saying it was limited to foreign countries, but once your package leaves the US as a seller it's basically impossible to resolve a eBay or Paypal dispute in your favor. IDK what you did but I've never had an issue resolving issues with Paypal as a buyer, especially when it comes to bootlegs

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I exist outside the USA, where they are content to use us as a tax haven but not actually otherwise pay attention to our laws. It is a running trend.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So hey, I was reading the GW Death Thread and saw mention of some game called Tanks! that looked like a cross between XWang and World of Tanks. Is there any more information on that? Sounds p cool.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Archenteron posted:

So hey, I was reading the GW Death Thread and saw mention of some game called Tanks! that looked like a cross between XWang and World of Tanks. Is there any more information on that? Sounds p cool.

Flames of War lite, and yes, that's exactly what it sounds like. Two Shermans vs. a Panther, basically the reason why I won't buy it. I hate Panthers.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Archenteron posted:

I'm curious to look at how playable it is in 28mm scale, since we've gone tank crazy at the club, but there's rarely a need for more than 1 or 2 tanks in a normal platoon level skirmish game. It would be fun to get to put parts of my German car pool on the table and still finish a game in an evening:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JcDent posted:

Flames of War lite, and yes, that's exactly what it sounds like. Two Shermans vs. a Panther, basically the reason why I won't buy it. I hate Panthers.

That's just the starter set, you realize? Germans will also be getting cards for Panzer IVs, StuGs, and Jagdpanthers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I can't imagine it being anywhere near as good as X-wing, but we'll see.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That's just the starter set, you realize? Germans will also be getting cards for Panzer IVs, StuGs, and Jagdpanthers.

I imagine I'd need to get the starter for rules, movement lines, dice, poo poo like that, just like in xwing. Besides, it would be more fun with Pz III and a Matilda.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Panzeh posted:

I can't imagine it being anywhere near as good as X-wing, but we'll see.

The biggest problem already is that they're using their existing plastic kits instead of having preassembled and prepainted models. One of the biggest benefits about X-Wing is the low barrier to entry, but if I've already got to build and paint my models for Tanks, why not play Actual Flames?

JcDent posted:

I imagine I'd need to get the starter for rules, movement lines, dice, poo poo like that, just like in xwing. Besides, it would be more fun with Pz III and a Matilda.

Fair enough, and no arguments there. What I personally find funny is the fact that the only options so far are for Battlefront's plastic kits, which means that in their casual tanks game they've got the one-off Super Pershing that blue people who've played World of Tanks will recognize, but no Tigers or King Tigers :downs:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

No tiger? poo poo game, would not play, 5/10 (points awarded for StuG only)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Acebuckeye13 posted:

no Tigers or King Tigers :downs:

:psyduck:

I'm generally a little cautious on Tanks!, but everyone already knew that. I figured it'd lead to more plastic tanks, though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

No tiger? poo poo game, would not play, 5/10 (points awarded for StuG only)

But the game is not even released yet, right? It's like making GBS threads on X-wing because it didn't have any B-wings at release.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
My prediction is it will be good. And I say that as someone who thinks FoW is bad.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

But the game is not even released yet, right? It's like making GBS threads on X-wing because it didn't have any B-wings at release.

Excuse me, sir, but I think you'll find that it is the Tiger that is closer to X-Wing icon status, rather than the Panther, which barely rates an Y-Wing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really want Tanks! to cover the whole range of WW2 armored fighting vehicles, but it looks like it's just the big four in the starter.

(I say this as someone with more French and Polish tanks than I'll ever otherwise use.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Excuse me, sir, but I think you'll find that it is the Tiger that is closer to X-Wing icon status, rather than the Panther, which barely rates an Y-Wing.

Nerds were whining all over the net when the first wave of X-wing didn't have their favourite poo poo (A-wings and B-wings especially, IIRC), so I sure won't judge the line-up of a game that seems to follow the same release pattern until a year or so in.

And making your own cards or whatever for unreleased tanks should not be that hard, WW2 tanks are more similar to each other than laser-pew-pewing spaceships with energy shields and poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The game certainly has potential, but I think it'll be lacking many of the factors that made X-Wing so successful. We'll see what happens when they release it, but I'm not hugely optimistic.

Also IS-2s better not be garbage when they get into the game :argh:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The game certainly has potential, but I think it'll be lacking many of the factors that made X-Wing so successful. We'll see what happens when they release it, but I'm not hugely optimistic.

Also IS-2s better not be garbage when they get into the game :argh:

IS-2s are always garbage in literally everything for some utterly bizarre reason.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's Battlefront, so I don't have high hopes for Soviet anything.

E: Their info (as is much outdated intelligence about the Soviets) is rooted in defeated Nazi debriefings, so it's equal parts wrong and misleading.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 4, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If they don't just sell a big box of "here is what you need to use the tanks you already own" I'll be a sad panda.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

If they don't just sell a big box of "here is what you need to use the tanks you already own" I'll be a sad panda.

I think they've gone with this format for exactly that reason, i.e. making you buy the tanks with the cards to actually use them. They know they're competing with everyone else's WW2 figures, so the only way they can guarantee sales for their own game is by making the cards indispensable. I was honestly a little surprised they didn't do that with TY but I guess they actually have a pretty firm grip on the cold war era with their plastic kits.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They'd be shutting the door on their existing base, but it's not like that's ever stopped a game company.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

I think they've gone with this format for exactly that reason, i.e. making you buy the tanks with the cards to actually use them. They know they're competing with everyone else's WW2 figures, so the only way they can guarantee sales for their own game is by making the cards indispensable. I was honestly a little surprised they didn't do that with TY but I guess they actually have a pretty firm grip on the cold war era with their plastic kits.

Only because Zvezda whacked themselves over the head with a length of pipe before sitting down to do T-72 (the tank on the box is not the same as the model inside, and neither of them is stated T-72 model) and Abrams (it's basically an abstraction in plastic). Their Shilka is amazing, I tell you, same probably goes for Gvozdika, too.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Arquinsiel posted:

I'll probably pick up the new starter kit even if they don't. I mean I've already got 50 Shermans, what's two more to the pile? :suicide:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

Only because Zvezda whacked themselves over the head with a length of pipe before sitting down to do T-72 (the tank on the box is not the same as the model inside, and neither of them is stated T-72 model) and Abrams (it's basically an abstraction in plastic). Their Shilka is amazing, I tell you, same probably goes for Gvozdika, too.

Zvezda actually work out more expensive than TY models, though (They're £7 or £6.50 here, which is £35-32.50, vs a TY box at £30, and £27 from most retailers). On the other hand, it's way cheaper to get shilkas and gvozdikas from Zvez.

Also I know they're great I have four sat in front of me right now :ussr:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm curious which island nation you live in. I, too, live in/on an island nation, and the cost of shipping things here is the sole reason I haven't shipped all my war-gaming stuff here, or purchased stuff to ship here (perhaps in part because the American government through certain foreign policies recognizes the independence of this nation, but at the same time does not recognize it as being it's own nation). Also, mail doesn't go straight here, it has to route through a freight hub in Hong Kong.

It's hard to find people who will ship to me (most companies that have a web store won't ship direct here), and most online retailers that offer international shipping will also tend to inflate rates, and I'm not taking up my old LGS's offer to ship me stuff.

My only other choice is ordering through the LGS (actually a board game cafe) which can get cheaper shipping by having things shipped bulk freight. Unfortunately bulk freight means shipped on a literal ship. I received my order of Netrunner last week. I ordered it in October, and even with my loyalty discount I'm still paying retail. Amazon + shipping would not have been that much more expensive.

When I go back to the states I'll probably look to pick up a bunch of 28mm stuff, just because sometimes big toys just look cool (an it'd be easier to justify as a model collection in case I can't find fellow players; really I'm just jealous of lilljonas and his club).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

; really I'm just jealous of lilljonas and his club

I've never been around these kinds of enablers before. Our "shouldn't we get some Brits?" Has already led to a platoon of BEF, a platoon of Home Guard, close to a company worth of Commandos and Airborne, eight tanks and now they're adding French Legionnaires and talking about German Fallschirmsjägers and DAK to oppose them. It took us mere weeks to reach this mission bloat. When will this poo poo get painted?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

YF19pilot posted:

I'm curious which island nation you live in.
I'm in Ireland. I've shipped things to Taiwan goons before, and it was reasonably cheap and crazy fast. If you're desperate to get stuff we can work out shipping stuff to me and I can pass it on for you.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Speaking of the IS-2 being trash, what games are there where the IS-2 is actually pretty good?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

spectralent posted:

Speaking of the IS-2 being trash, what games are there where the IS-2 is actually pretty good?

Its pretty good in bolt action because its got a heavy AT gun that hit infantry like a medium howitzer, hull mg, coaxial mg, turret rear mg and an option for a pintle mounted HMG.

It can't be the first unit to activate on your turn if it fired the main gun last turn, which is awkward but can be worked around.

Still a huge points investment but much more versatile than the :hitler: heavies. (Its actually slightly cheaper than a Panther)

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 5, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

In CoC it's pretty much a wash between the IS-2 and the Tiger II, with the Tiger having slightly higher armour and armour piercing, but the IS-2 having a higher High Explosive value (so causing more hits on infantry). Both of them are in a league of their own , being so expensive that you're very unlikely to ever have enough support to field one.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

I'm curious to look at how playable it is in 28mm scale...

I'm in the same camp as this, but if it uses the pre-measure movement sticks like Wangs that could complicate the 28mm conversion.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Springfield Fatts posted:

I'm in the same camp as this, but if it uses the pre-measure movement sticks like Wangs that could complicate the 28mm conversion.

You mean simplify. Just convert the scale and lasercut custom ones.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
My favorite thing about Bolt Action is that a Veteran Tiger II costs 666 points. :hitler:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Polikarpov posted:

Veteran Tiger II costs 666 points.

Sexy hun turret; sexy sex.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Operation Rebase all Lilljonas' Samurai poo poo is progressing. Phase 2: continue to rebase poo poo, and paint more infantrymen to fill out the woefully undersized units that are not up to par to our insanely big FoG:R units.

I'm trying a new painting method where I start out with a light grey primer, and then use washes to get the shadows. Compared to how I painted the old stuff, with a black primer, it comes out a bit more colorful, but also with less contrast. I'm not sure which one I prefer. Here's six new pikemen that I painted up (left), compared to a base of old ones (right):

At least that makes that unit six bases strong. I also took a bunch of Black Hat figures that I painted up as bandits for a Ronin scenario, and based them. Two bases got most of the spears, and the other two got most of the swordsmen. I can either go for increasing the size of this unit later, or use them to fill out other infantry units where I'm missing a base or two. I found some other odds and ends to fill out the bases, including a spearman from Museum Miniatures and a ninja from Dixon!

Speaking of unit fillers, I had some naginata warrior monks from The Assault Group as well. If I ever decide to make a separate unit of these, I'll have a head start. Otherwise, this base will serve as a unit filler as well.

Same goes with these naginata-wielding ashigaru. The purple armour is extremely non-historical, but I liked the yellow and purple combination, and actualy re-used it on a part of my 6mm samurai army.

One of the few additions that includes new painted miniatures is this unit of samurai with arquebuses. I already had six painted up, and the Japanese army in Field of Glory: Renaissance can have a unit of 2-3 bases of them. So with a second pack of 6 painted up, we have our third missile unit..

With these 10 new bases, the army is looking a lot bigger. Now that I have quite a lot of the light infantry in place, I should start to focus on heavier infantry and cavalry. Oh, all that lovely cavalry.

​Pictured below: a roughly half of what the finished army should look like.

Now I'm off to cut out bases for my cavalry, as Renedra doesn't sell 60mm x 50mm bases.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Off to play first proper game of Bolt Action tomorrow. My friends have all recently bought in to it despite my reservations. Happy to give it a go though.
Dug out my very old US 82nd Airborne force and managed to put a 1000pt all painted force together which is nice.

Forgotten how much I like these older Artizan sculpts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Nice! Give it a try and let us know what you think. It is definitely ww2 arcade which is what some want.

I ran a BA participation game based on 22nd Panzer and Slovak Rapid Brigade assaulting Rostov vs 56th Army soviets in summer 1942. It went well, lots of fun, both boards were close. In history it was never really in doubt but I gave the Soviet players the mission of inflicting as many casualties as possible.

Bolt Action battle of Rostov http://imgur.com/gallery/2ixO2