Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought I read it was originally a paintball game with Mario characters or something

No. They considered at one point if they should use Mario characters, but decided it made no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rexroom posted:

No. They considered at one point if they should use Mario characters, but decided it made no sense.

Yeah, at some point they got hung up on concept, and Miyamoto basically said "We can use Mario characters if it comes to that, but keep trying."

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the koopa kids need their own game

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Help Im Alive posted:

I thought I read it was originally a paintball game with Mario characters or something

Nah, it went from tofu to rabbit characters to weird toony squid-men to inklings.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

the koopa kids need their own game

Some sort of party game even

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bowser has only one child and his name is Morton Koopa Jr.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Morton is a idiot and does not deserve that spot.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Roy's his boy.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

All of this parent chat is making me feel old because some of your stories reflect exactly how I game with my kids and by myself.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My parents play Tetris on some type of on-demand cable thing with the cable remote. They came to my place when Beatles Rock Band came out and played through the main campaign with my brother and I, that was cool. :3:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Xavier434 posted:

All of this parent chat is making me feel old because some of your stories reflect exactly how I game with my kids and by myself.

I don't have any kids, but I do play games with my husband's much-younger brother, who is 10.

We got him addicted to Pokemon at the age of 8. He loves Mario, and Splatoon. Though all he does in Splatoon is play the single player, hide in the ink, and toss bombs when his ink is full. He begs us to play Smash Tour with him whenever we visit. His favorite character in it is Pac-man. He also likes Hyrule Warriors, his favorite character there being Wizzro.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, at some point they got hung up on concept, and Miyamoto basically said "We can use Mario characters if it comes to that, but keep trying."

pretty cool that they actually were afforded time to flesh it out instead of immediately falling back to "another mario joint." If anything, the popularity of splatoon vs how badly mario party + tennis games were received last year speaks volumes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was afraid of everything growing up and my dad would ask me what scared me then find a game featuring it and force me to play it so he could laugh at me.

Good times.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

He begs us to play Smash Tour with him whenever we visit.

Sever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MinibarMatchman posted:

pretty cool that they actually were afforded time to flesh it out instead of immediately falling back to "another mario joint." If anything, the popularity of splatoon vs how badly mario party + tennis games were received last year speaks volumes.

I don't think Mario Party 10 would've been received so badly if it didn't have that stupid "everyone in one car" gimmick. I think that turned a lot of people off cause there was really no reason to change up a formula that worked perfectly fine (and yes I know that gimmick came before 10). Well and also I think a bunch of clear mini stars instead of getting one big gold star was too weird and unsatisfying.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

He's 10. :raise: I mean I find it to be rather boring to play, same with watching him hide in the ink in Splatoon and throw bombs all the time, but it makes him happy and keeps him out of his parents' hair for awhile. :shrug:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope VR technology gets advanced enough that I can have kids

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

If you are the way a lot of these stories are going, then please smile for you are a good gaming dad!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My Dad basically sneers at my games whenever he sees me play them, but bought the for me anyway because I got good grades.

He only plays Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, and Galaga. He's v. good at Galaga

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don't watch sitcom TV anymore, but when they show kids playing video games, do they still have them use N64 controllers while Atari 2600 Pac Man sound effects play in the background?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Morton is a idiot and does not deserve that spot.

Morton is my perfect Juggalo son, and I won't hear you bad mouth him :mad:

Koopa Kids would be amazing in the following spinoff games:
Weird Fire Emblem clone where Ludwig is your prince;
Low-effort Tetris Attack sequel;
Weird exploration-platformer like Chibi-Robo, where you play as the Koopaling of your choice in Bowser's hilariously oversized castle;
Inevitable Mario Musou;
Sid Meier's Pirates clone, with koopa airships.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been using Toad in Mario Kart for like 20 years and find the new thread title extremely offensive

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

VideoGames posted:

If you are the way a lot of these stories are going, then please smile for you are a good gaming dad!

My older son loves my hobby for many reasons, but the top two are definitely these:

1. I am a sucker for buying a console just to play a few "must have games". This means he doesn't have to beg us for them and he can even sometimes get away with not making those his "big" present at Christmas because Dad wants it anyways.
2. We are both PC gamers primarily and while I don't upgrade as often as many enthusiasts with deep pockets I still upgrade fairly often. He gets all of my hand me down parts for free and they are usually pretty darn good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

I don't watch sitcom TV anymore, but when they show kids playing video games, do they still have them use N64 controllers while Atari 2600 Pac Man sound effects play in the background?

It's not usually that particular combination, but yeah; stuff like that happens ALL THE TIME. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. had two characters playing couch co-op Halo 5; which was criticized for lacking that very feature.

And I've seen so many stock images of mismatched controllers/systems/games.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Weird Fire Emblem clone where Ludwig is your prince;

Ludwig von Koopa will always be my prince.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

They really should make a video game for dads.

We really don't need any more golf games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Xavier434 posted:

My older son loves my hobby for many reasons, but the top two are definitely these:

1. I am a sucker for buying a console just to play a few "must have games". This means he doesn't have to beg us for them and he can even sometimes get away with not making those his "big" present at Christmas because Dad wants it anyways.
2. We are both PC gamers primarily and while I don't upgrade as often as many enthusiasts with deep pockets I still upgrade fairly often. He gets all of my hand me down parts for free and they are usually pretty darn good.

God bless you, My Dad of The Future. I used to think my dad was spoiling the poo poo out of me, giving me shoeboxes full of 1.44" disks of pirated Amiga games, and buying me any console I wanted each Christmas (but we were decidedly middle class, so only one per generation!) but looking back, he just wanted to play pinball and flight sims on my poo poo. Buying me hundreds of dollars worth of my own games was just a ruse.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

enojy posted:

God bless you, My Dad of The Future. I used to think my dad was spoiling the poo poo out of me, giving me shoeboxes full of 1.44" disks of pirated Amiga games, and buying me any console I wanted each Christmas (but we were decidedly middle class, so only one per generation!) but looking back, he just wanted to play pinball and flight sims on my poo poo. Buying me hundreds of dollars worth of my own games was just a ruse.

My son figured out the ruse a few years ago and is totally okay with it. What happens now is that him and I sorta "wink wink nudge nudge" each other in order to convince my wife that I am buying this "for the children".

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I just bought bayonetta in smash and they have like 12 songs and no final boss music from Bayonetta 1 are you serious

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

deadly_pudding posted:

Low-effort Tetris Attack sequel;

I would settle for any Tetris Attack sequel.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok I just bought bayonetta in smash and they have like 12 songs and no final boss music from Bayonetta 1 are you serious

The instrumental version of Tomorrow is Mine? Instrumental!? What a botch.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's ok, Let's Dance Boys, Afterburner Infinity Climax mix and Let's Dance Boys made it in.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My dad bought me him a Nintendo when I was a child. It was great! We had SMB, Ikari Warriors and Tiger Helix. Then next year he let my grandparents adopt me and I never saw him again. He also took the Nintendo, thanks dad!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Nintendo just confirmed that Peach is Rosilina's mom. :psyduck:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Red posted:

We really don't need any more golf games.

This is incorrect.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
We need more fishing games because the genre has been dead as hell since the Dreamcast.

Sega Marine Fishing was the high water mark with Sega bass Fishing 1 and 2 being slightly beneath it and then there was Reel Fishing Wild.

Also where the gently caress is Endless Ocean 3? Granted I could go scuba diving IRL since I live in a beach front condo, but a videogame takes a whole less lot of effort to do and videogame whales are unable to eat you IRL.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fix posted:

This is incorrect.

Listen, when you call a game FIGHTING GOLF, you better have something going on besides plain old golf, or you're going to have some disappointed kids asking the video store for a refund of this bullshit game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Red posted:

Listen, when you call a game FIGHTING GOLF, you better have something going on besides plain old golf, or you're going to have some disappointed kids asking the video store for a refund of this bullshit game.

That game is old enough to have golf game children of its own.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fix posted:

That game is old enough to have golf game children of its own.

Time has not softened my bitterness for that or NES Bigfoot.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nintendo just confirmed that Peach is Rosilina's mom. :psyduck:

Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar