Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

nah I cannot deny the thief is my favorite class so I hope that when time rolls around for me to become a daredevil that I will like it

Be prepared to acquire lots of hero points to get to the dd's actual feature (fancy dodge animations). Until then enjoy your 3rd dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

Libertine posted:

2) I have no idea on stat priority, I've seen some guides recommend full Berserker (which is what I have now and have used for awhile); however, if I was group healing and min-maxing should I off-set any of that with Healing Power or other durability stats? I got the Legendary Staff from finishing the first story/quest/point line or whatever, but I haven't stat-assigned it yet because I have no clue what to prioritize.
I'm still a fairly new druid so I'm mostly just marching on with ignorance and poor fashion choices :sparkles: . I figured I'd start off with as much healing stuff as I could get and then switch over to damage bit by bit until I noticed a significant drop-off - pretty sure at the rate I'm going that I'll end up in full Berserker's. And after some Very Serious Scientific Testing, I have concluded that Superior Sigil of Life (25 stacks o' healing) is loving useless.
The Delicious Rice Ball food from the new year event seems good though (and cheap).

quote:

3) Any tips for maximizing Celestial Avatar use? It seems to have a really short duration and I can't even get all the moves off when I pop it, I'm kind of both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by it.
3 for targeted group heal, 4 for group point blank (continuous), Glyph of Rejuvenation for group point blank (immediate). If you're fighting a big group damage-fest like Matriarch Wyvern in Verdant Brink, CA'll be up most of the time anyway. Also Staff 5 makes a water field for comboing so it's worth putting up even if there aren't projectiles to trigger it.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, anyone found some areas in Tyria where gliding comes in handy, either as a shortcut or just reaching some areas unintended?

You can get into the Mordrem Vinewrath's area in the Silverwastes before its event now, although there's nothing to do in there and I'm not sure what happens if the event starts with you there (I wasn't going to wait that long). It probably just kicks you out. Also the jumping puzzle there is much easier with the glider since some of those jumps required a lot of precise aiming before. The main practical value though is in not needing the falling damage trait to be equipped outside of no-fly zone jumping puzzles.

Libertine posted:

3) Any tips for maximizing Celestial Avatar use? It seems to have a really short duration and I can't even get all the moves off when I pop it, I'm kind of both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by it.

Generally start by using Rejuvenating Tides (4) if you are in a group or need significant healing yourself. It's the quickest way to build Grace of the Land on everyone and has a mobile water field while you channel it for others to use finishers in for more healing. Clarion Bond (and/or a drake's Tail Swipe) can be used to trigger a blast finisher in it yourself if need be. Lunar Impact (3) is good for CCing things (also as a blast finisher and substantial heal), and Natural Convergence (5) can be used if you really need to contribute more to a breakbar but 3 is already on cooldown. Keep in mind that 5 will end early if you move (unlike 4) and not inflict immobilize. Usually you won't use 5 since you aren't in CA to do damage and slow isn't that great against regular mobs. Use Seed of Life (2) to help clear conditions and inflict blind on foes. Don't prioritize Cosmic Ray (1) over anything unless there's no conditions to clean and 3+4 are on cooldown (it's a slightly stronger heal than 2 but has no additional effects).

You can use any heal skill that you've traited, although I'd probably avoid Troll Unguent since it isn't nearly as good as Healing Spring, Heal as One, or Glyph of Rejuvenation.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Troll unguent is actually pretty decent if you aren't dealing with burst damage, as it heals for a ton and can't be stripped away. If you are facing burst damage, or you aren't really good at being a spvper and capable of maintaining your own health without panic button-ing, you should go with another heal.

That being said, a reminder to anyone who is interested in trying spvp out to join dorkopotimus's guild. I wish I could remember it's name but my medicine hasn't kicked in yet and yeah that's actually a very bad problem for me. Like I want to try remembering it but I don't even think I can begin to TRY, it's that bad. The guys there will be more than happy to do poo poo and help you figure stuff out. Don't spvp alone or without goons, it's boring as gently caress. The worst you can do by joining is get stuck with other dudes who don't know what's going on, and even then it's still better because you aren't alone.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Generic Octopus posted:

Be prepared to acquire lots of hero points to get to the dd's actual feature (fancy dodge animations). Until then enjoy your 3rd dodge.

Alternatively, ignore using DD and wreck poo poo with dagger autoattack.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Sprite141 posted:

Troll unguent is actually pretty decent if you aren't dealing with burst damage, as it heals for a ton and can't be stripped away. If you are facing burst damage, or you aren't really good at being a spvper and capable of maintaining your own health without panic button-ing, you should go with another heal.

I meant the troll unguent thing as being less useful to a healing role. Healing Spring gets you a field to blast for even more healing and innately has condition removal + area regen (useful for building up CA), Glyph heals in an area and plants a seed with the trait (which has numerous benefits), and Heal as One has the shortest recharge and with the trait grants AoE regen. Unguent can remove 2 conditions from yourself only, if you trait it, and can't heal allies at all aside from the druid trait that creates an AoE heal off of any heal skill.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Toraen posted:

I meant the troll unguent thing as being less useful to a healing role. Healing Spring gets you a field to blast for even more healing and innately has condition removal + area regen (useful for building up CA), Glyph heals in an area and plants a seed with the trait (which has numerous benefits), and Heal as One has the shortest recharge and with the trait grants AoE regen. Unguent can remove 2 conditions from yourself only, if you trait it, and can't heal allies at all aside from the druid trait that creates an AoE heal off of any heal skill.

I can more easily use Troll Ungent while running away.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Troll Unguent is really good in spvp since if gives you a stupid amount of EHP in extended duels

Spec chat: Scrapper is really loving fun, its great to be stupid tanky in addition to being able to res idiots that stood in the fire without getting into it myself. I really like all the gyros, and while the elite gyro is somewhat disappointing (would rather have a gyro that shoots a cluster of rockets or some such) I find myself using it a lot in Magus Falls meta events, since It'll get you out of a pickle should you find yourself in one.

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 3, 2016

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/arenanet/hot-mordrem-singles

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Gliding is just the best thing ever! I was doing one of the maps for a daily events thing that also had a vista view requirement and it was so cute to see a whole load of people complete one event, treck up to the nearby vista and all view at once then all just glide off in various directions it was so cute!

Need more glider skins though. Lots and lots of them. That aren't all birds wings. And that are dye-able.

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

I made a elementalist. Gonna set the world on fire.

Kazoo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 4, 2016

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Man I forgot how much fun thief is to play. Took a longer break after hot came out after burning out slightly. The other day I felt like playing some so I used my extra hot slot to make a thief and had a blast running around stabbing everything! Looking forward to giving daredevil a whirl. Have any of you pvp gurus had success with a staff build in pvp?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kazoo posted:

I made a elementalist. Gonna set the world on fire.

Nice giraffe neck. :mmmhmm:

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Nice giraffe neck. :mmmhmm:

:nyd:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Some fun quotes about Maguuma in there

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/442m6p/wvw_players_what_are_some_stereotypes_you_have/

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I feel this is relevant:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

quote:

Fordalla 1 point 8 hours ago
Smells just like the bloated creepers we constantly train onto the Tequatl chest zerg every day at server reset. Avarice is a sin. Maguuma best server.

the legend of goomteq spreads

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Lyer posted:

the legend of goomteq spreads

:ssh: hes a goon, and in the bird guild

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
We should really get to work cooking up a second gimmick to circlejerk about in public in case they ever actually kill creeper bombing.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

We should really get to work cooking up a second gimmick to circlejerk about in public in case they ever actually kill creeper bombing.

start a Flat Tyria Society

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

I like that the most used description/insulting name for maguuma is just cancer.

Man, first ever goon WvW event (that I can recall) was jerkjerk leading a train of dredge in synchronized dancing around enemy zergs. That's back when they had no real animation and just glided everywhere. Now the only fun poo poo I ever see in WvW is hey lets zerg. It sucks.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I mean we still have coleslaw.

Edit:

Maybe we can do something with the LAPD (lions arch police department) guild?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Now the only fun poo poo I ever see in WvW is hey lets zerg. It sucks.

SFD does a fun WvW event every Wednesday for years now, still going strong, and roaming is very much still a thing especially on the new borderlands. WvW is the most active part of the game these days.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

:ssh: hes a goon, and in the bird guild

loving false advertising, looks like we gotta step up the abomination game

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

SFD does a fun WvW event every Wednesday for years now, still going strong, and roaming is very much still a thing especially on the new borderlands. WvW is the most active part of the game these days.

Well maybe if my wednesdays were ever not busy I'd enjoy wvw more. Till then, it sucks.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

CLAM DOWN posted:

... WvW is the most active part of the game these days.

I'm not on Maguuma, but if this statement is generally accepted as true across most servers, it's a horrible condemnation of the game as a whole.
On Fort Aspenwood (Fapspinwood) I only ever see other pubs zipping in to get the easy dailies and then zoning out, even though we hold the majority of all three borderlands at nearly all times. Either there's some serious zergs out there that I simply never see (even enemy ones!) or it's a dead game mode.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Well maguuma is more of a roaming server to begin with. And also it's really the time of day and guilds when you'll see more people.

Also goon squad needs to do some voice communications. I just remembered SFD does that for wvw wednesdays and that actually sounds fun as poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ we use Mumble for literally everything and it's very fun, join in any time you want

Sprite141 posted:

Well maybe if my wednesdays were ever not busy I'd enjoy wvw more. Till then, it sucks.

We do a bunch of WvW not on Wednesdays too, and WvW reset on Saturdays is a super busy and awesome active time. You're more than welcome to tag along with SFD then, if you don't want to join. I recommend adding both Xushin and The Bee Man Of Sfd to your buddy list, so you can find someone to follow during those times.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just wish there was a non-pricey way for me to switch over to Maguuma. I joined to Maguuma 2.5 years ago then my idiot friend convinced me to go to Sea of Sorrows. I'm not swapping back for $25 especially before the big changes, but drat if I don't miss the SFD events.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ we use Mumble for literally everything and it's very fun, join in any time you want

We do a bunch of WvW not on Wednesdays too, and WvW reset on Saturdays is a super busy and awesome active time. You're more than welcome to tag along with SFD then, if you don't want to join. I recommend adding both Xushin and The Bee Man Of Sfd to your buddy list, so you can find someone to follow during those times.

Xushin is pretty sweet, and this is solid advice for anyone playing on maguuma as well.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Maguuma is actually medium pop right now. 500 gems.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Blasphemeral posted:

I'm not on Maguuma, but if this statement is generally accepted as true across most servers, it's a horrible condemnation of the game as a whole.
On Fort Aspenwood (Fapspinwood) I only ever see other pubs zipping in to get the easy dailies and then zoning out, even though we hold the majority of all three borderlands at nearly all times. Either there's some serious zergs out there that I simply never see (even enemy ones!) or it's a dead game mode.

As of this week's reset, I'd tell you to look harder, given this is Dragonbrand's first attempt at Tier 2, and we are keeping up (and beating you guys as of last night). WvW is quite alive, as expected, once more guilds finished their guild hall PvE bullshit gating and unlocked the good WvW upgrades. Fights, offence, and defence are even more plentiful than they were on Tier 3, especially for those queue locked out of EBG. Granted this could all change once the Coalescence of Ruin "fix" is done, but right now it's been good.

tl;dr: WvW is in fact, fun and alive.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Maguuma WvW has a rich and storied history, such as back when in the Maguuma WvW mumble channel there was at least one pubbie commander who would mute any girl who talked, because the mere presence of a girl's voice was too distracting! When there's a war effort on we can't afford to let our pure and wholesome boys get distracted by the filthy sinful voices of girls and their helpful input.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got banned from the maguuma mumble back in the day because I couldn't sustain myself during a marathon siege on hopes and dreams alone and just had to eat some crackers with an open mic so I could share

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

HUGS

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

when's the drat wvw revamp happening

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Johnny Joestar posted:

when's the drat wvw revamp happening

right after SAB

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

right after SAB

Which is coming after them making ranger sword auto-attack not root you in place.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ApeHawk posted:

Which is coming after them making ranger sword auto-attack not root you in place.

So never?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sair posted:

Maguuma is actually medium pop right now. 500 gems.

Expansion success :v:

Alteisen posted:

So never?

:thumbsup:

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I installed this game recently and have been mucking about on a Warrior. My mind has been blown. I cannot wrap my head around this game (in a good way), it is like no other MMO I've ever played. Are there no standard ranged vs. melee classes? Like my Warrior can use a 2-hander and then slap on a huge bow and fight at range!! It is incredible. I'm so used to making ranged and melee class and playing both, but GW2 is taking that and saying gently caress you why not have both in one class????!!!!! I made a Warlock as well, only to find out he could equip a 2H broadsword. I think the hardest part about this game is figuring out what to use my second character slot on since the classes all sound like such fun!

• Locked thread