Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the reinforcement pack is all future season pass stuff right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

DrManiac posted:

So is the pre load the whole game compressed or will we still have to download ~20 gigs?

It should be fully downloaded; it's about 21 GB compressed.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
So before XCOM2 releases, let's revisit one of beagle's first I/I EU videos. That intro. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

When I first played XCOM: EU I played on Classic Ironman and restarted the game like five times before accepting I'd have to play Normal, then I found it too easy and went back to Classic and the game flowed from there, so I'll probably do the same. Not doing Ironman on a new release though, I'd hate if some bug came in and broke my save or whatever, so Bronzeman it is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah if you want to play the high difficulties that is fine, but self-impose Ironman rather than do it officially. The game is likely to be pretty buggy

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

When I used a VPN to unlock FO 4 I never changed my billing address, I don't recall changing my region in settings but I might've done that.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah if you want to play the high difficulties that is fine, but self-impose Ironman rather than do it officially. The game is likely to be pretty buggy

This is good advice here.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

My only problem with this game is that it makes me really wanna skip work on Friday. It's gonna be like six straight hours of meetings. But I need the hours. But I wanna kill aliens.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's pretty certain that Veteran difficulty will have the same hidden modifiers stuff that Normal had in EU. Every miss will stack an accuracy bonus until you hit something and aliens will just randomly do retarded poo poo to help you out. Besides, losing is Fun you guys, play on Commander.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Fixed the internet JUST in time, preloading and should be done exactly by the time it unlocks at midnight here. :3:

Until then, I shall rewatch this magnificent video, in remembrance of the original's beauty.

Finally, I am torn between the first game being either Commander Ironman or Legendary Ironman. The former done as a speedy run would definitely prepare me better for multiplayer (which I am very big on!) but the latter is just...a lot more the kind of difficulty I'm looking for from singleplayer. Opinions?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DreamShipWrecked posted:

What convinced me to never turn Ironman on was getting to the Uber Ethereal room, getting a soldier in, then realizing that I can't move the rest of my guys in. The game locked the door.

e: If Commander is Classic mode I will play on that first.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Going to play on the highest, non-time changing difficulty at first to get a hang of combat and the tech tree. I don't want to develop any "lazy" habits as I plan to do a marathon campaign once I get used to things.

Of course I will throw a tantrum and go down to medium, but still. :v:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

poptart_fairy posted:

Going to play on the highest, non-time changing difficulty at first to get a hang of combat and the tech tree. I don't want to develop any "lazy" habits as I plan to do a marathon campaign once I get used to things.

TBH, this is also a good point for me. Legendary adds time to building things at the base, right? I might not play it just due to that, cuz I really want to ace the game quick first...I guess Commander it is then and I get to see the story mission/sequences too, without any jumping inbetween saves.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 31, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

splifyphus posted:

Ironman is totally mandatory. It's a totally different game when you can't gently caress up.

While admittedly I am terrible at holding myself to it, I'd rather give in and reload now and then instead of be hosed out of winning the game because of some bug like in EU. v:shobon:v

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Spekaing of bugs, I wonder if they ever figured out how to make multiple stories work without requiring me to spin the camera 30 times.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

splifyphus posted:

Ironman is totally mandatory. It's a completely different game when you can't gently caress up. The tension and attachment to your soldiers goes through the roof.

After a crash wiped my ironman save in XCOM, I'm never playing that mode again :P

The 'oops, clicked wrong, gently caress you' aspect is also deeply unappealing.

I wound up doing a save every mission and accepting the consequences, that was iron man enough for me.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, I just poked around for a little detail on the difficulties, and I'm going for Commander/Ironman for my first couple of attempts. I may move on to Legendary before a first successful playthrough. Tutorials are dumb, but I'll at least check it out once, and I'd like to get a look at a lot of the research tech sooner than later.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Anything that could provoke the bee's nest that is Steam scares me, using a VPN included, but the wait is trying to off me, and what good is Steam to a dead man? :ohdear:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Anything that could provoke the bee's nest that is Steam scares me, using a VPN included, but the wait is trying to off me, and what good is Steam to a dead man? :ohdear:

No one has ever been banned for unlocking a game early, only skirting around region pricing

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Just a reminder in case any Ozzies (or fake Ozzies) want to send me their character early. I'll post the first version of Goonpool as soon as I get into it. (Likely won't have time until after midnight eastern U.S. anyway.)

idonotlikepeas posted:

Based on this video, it seems like it can be done relatively simply. Tell you what, if anybody wants to make themselves (or something they'd like us all to imagine they look like) in game and then export it as a file and send it to me, I'll put them together and throw the file up somewhere for people to grab.

Rules:

1) Give the character an actual human goddamned name. It doesn't have to be YOUR name, since I have no way of checking, but it shouldn't be like "Buttass McDongs" or anything.
2) Make the nickname your SA username so people know who they're getting viciously murdered by snake ladies.
3) Export the soldier as a new pool that's just for it named with your username.

E-mail address is [my username]@gmail.com, just attach the file or put it somewhere and send me a link.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 31, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Just a reminder in case any Ozzies (or fake Ozzies) want to send me their character early. I'll post the first version of Goonpool as soon as I get into it. (Likely won't have time until after midnight eastern U.S. anyway.)

I'll send you my character Dicklord "Weedmaster" McTitsCock as soon as I can

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Also, in case someone didn't watch Christopher Odd's video about it; You can create characters in the character pool with all customizations unlocked right off the bat. Whatever rank restrictions or whatever there is only apply to customizing existing characters in-game.

Watch the video if you didn't, it's quite informative and doesn't really spoil any game stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_AlvNvfa8

I'm gonna make my Goonpool avatar first thing, though I might just anglicize my name. I'm a tiny bit salty that Firaxis didn't include Finnish as a nationality eventhough Swedes and Norskis are in. :argh:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 4, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'll send you my character Dicklord "Weedmaster" McTitsCock as soon as I can

I'm afraid this and Weedlord Bonerhitler are already reserved.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

No one has ever been banned for unlocking a game early, only skirting around region pricing

Sure didn't take much to convince me, thanks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nordick posted:

Also, in case someone didn't watch Christopher Odd's video about it; You can create characters in the character pool with all customizations unlocked right off the bat. Whatever rank restrictions or whatever there is only apply to customizing existing characters in-game.

Watch the video if you didn't, it's quite informative and doesn't really spoil any game stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_AlvNvfa8

I'm gonna make my Goonpool avatar first thing, though I might just anglicize my name. I'm a tiny bit salty that Firaxis didn't include Finnish as a nationality eventhough Swedes and Norskis are in. :argh:

Is the one on the left wearing a snaketitskin cloak?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao if you aren't going to replace the soldier name list with the names from the Key and Peele college football sketches.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pwnstar posted:

Lmao if you aren't going to replace the soldier name list with the names from the Key and Peele college football sketches.

Earth puts its faith in Blast Hardcheese.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

You read my mind. :allears:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I tried to VPN Fallout 4, but ended up loving my poo poo over so much that I lost my pre-load and had to wait nearly a day extra just to redownload the game from start again.

Basically, I'd only do the VPN if I had a substantial gain from it and being forced to redownload the entire thing because it got corrupted tells me I just want to do it normally this time.

You seem like that guy that's in every infomercial. The one who's hands shake when he opens a jar of pickles then his house explodes or something while some guy on a voice over makes mundane tasks sound hard "Ever opened a pickle jar? Then you know how hard it is! Introducing the Pickle Master!"

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Can you choose which class rookies promote to this time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You read my mind. :allears:

Speaking of which it's just a .txt file right? Or at least that's how EU did it? I can just clean that up in notepad then copy it onto the end?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Back To 99 posted:

Not when they get promoted in a mission, but you can stick one rookie into the tactics school for some days and he'll train into the class you chose.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I wouldn't worry about playing Ironman in your first game. I only saw one crash mentioned in the reviews I read, and it sounded like a fluke. Some of the reviewers thoroughly played the game before reviewing it, for once. The guy that wrote the Eurogamer review is a huge XCOM and Long War fan and played the game for 50+ hours before writing the review.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Back To 99 posted:

Yeah it just takes some time to put them through class training. So it's a bit of a strategic consideration, whether you want a random class squaddie sooner or a certain class squaddie later.

koolaidconvoy
Jan 3, 2002
A plastic sock mating.
Can anyone recommend a decent free VPN service for us east coasters?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm going to play on easy for my first game and it'll be great. I'd like to see the game and story in the very limited time I have to play, and really don't want to have to throw away two weeks worth of free time whenever I gently caress up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nordick posted:

Yeah it just takes some time to put them through class training. So it's a bit of a strategic consideration, whether you want a random class squaddie sooner or a certain class squaddie later.

That is a pretty neat feature, I hated protecting rookies through a mission just for them to turn into my sixth sniper while I had no supports

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Four keys in the same email? That is...weird. even the deluxe edition has only 2

4 Keys between 2 emails. It looks like GMG sent me Regular + Digital Deluxe. It appears that 1 key activates them all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

4 Keys between 2 emails. It looks like GMG sent me Regular + Digital Deluxe. It appears that 1 key activates them all though.

Fancy, you might give it to one of your friends to try then because you might have accidentally got a two-for-one if it isn't the same key