Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Defian Downfall is basically "hey you remember how you killed things on the ground the first 30 hours of the game? well....."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On the other hand, leveling up my allies' abilities (and a lot of button-mashing) was enough for me to get Rexoskell down.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I love orphan armor. I feel like a Kamen rider

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Internet Kraken posted:

No matter how many times I hear that line it still makes me laugh.

I'm actually starting to enjoy the ridiculous night theme for NLA though.

I enjoyed all the themes from the start.

Uh. Uh. Uh. Uh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The percussion for NLA's night theme sounds enough like a hard drive failure to make me nervous.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone made themselves a custom level 60 mech?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

many johnnys posted:

Yeah, you can come back to it any time afaik.

I finally found one, after installing most of the probes on the map. gently caress that rockmole cave or whatever, all lv40+ dudes that you can't avoid. I'll have to wait on that one.

I had fun exploring, at least! On to the next quest!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Safety Scissors posted:

Yes. A Masterma that I use for general farming, based on that guide linked earlier that relies on missiles. Since the Masterma has a beam boost armor set it does good damage, and allows me to get almost all the drops from something at once. And by swapping to the other heavy armor and a Zenith Cannon I could potentially outdamage the Ares 90 thanks to all the slots I have. I just want to get reflect augments so I can be invincible in overdrive.

If you want to know why you should get a level 60 skell, think of the power jump going from a level 30 one to a level 50 one, and that's what you get going from a level 50 to a level 60.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Safety Scissors posted:

I made a lv 60 Amdusias, but I haven't bothered tricking it out yet. Maybe when I'm bored one of these days.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bruceski posted:

On the other hand, leveling up my allies' abilities (and a lot of button-mashing) was enough for me to get Rexoskell down.

You played the whole game without levelling your companion's abilities? It's one of the few things that the game tells you outside of the manual!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taear posted:

You played the whole game without levelling your companion's abilities? It's one of the few things that the game tells you outside of the manual!

I knew I COULD, but I didn't know they had their own BP pool so I was being greedy.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, after getting my Ares 90 that was tricked out with a dozen slayer Ultrfauna XXs taken down by Telethia without doing more than like 30% damage I checked how to actually beat it.

A second superweapon, 9 more slayer augs, maxing out as many phys boosts as I can, and five ranged attack drives. Each level of phys boost takes like 5 items only found in time attack. You need to get like fourty levels of it. I want to take down the ultrafauna, but so much grind...:negative:

...Well, at least some parts aren't that bad. Once I've got the slayer augs I can probably break all zero's parts in one or two shots, so that will speed things up a bit. And there are still a few other things I can do to take my mind off of it. And I'm definitely not getting more than a couple things in one sitting.

I can do this.

Right now I want to do it so I get the other ending for a quest where I need to kill Telethia. After that, probably a cathartic half dozen times to just prove I can.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Whoops, just took this affinity mission that requires going to Cauldros.

Ummmm I can swim there, right?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
What am I doing wrong? The story missions all wreck my poo poo.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

What am I doing wrong? The story missions all wreck my poo poo.

If you and your party members don't all have Skells, but you're able to get them, do it. Otherwise... you're leveling up your arts and skills? Your party members' arts and skills? Do you have gear around your level? Maybe try a different class? If the missions take you to places with lots of higher-level enemies, you are trying to sneak around instead of bull-rushing it?

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do yourself a favor and look for the island chain that leads north from Primordia. Even if you have to swim around the central island it's still a lot faster than swimming there the full way like some other goons did. From there you'll have to either make your way through Sylvalum* or take the rather long swim around it**.

*Not as bad as you might think, so long as you avoid any terrain features that look like they might pop up out of the ground to kill you, because they'll pop up out of the ground and kill you. Also avoid any terrain features that don't look like they'll pop up out of the ground to kill you, because those will pop up out of the ground and kill you. Other than that, it's an easy run.

**Really long, really slow, really boring. But if you manage to do it, most of Cauldros' beaches are populated by really low level mobs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much do you have to use skells after you get one anyways? I know people are gonna find this crazy but I think the skell combat looks boring compared to the ground combat.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Internet Kraken posted:

How much do you have to use skells after you get one anyways? I know people are gonna find this crazy but I think the skell combat looks boring compared to the ground combat.

You never HAVE to use a Skell but it makes things so much easier, especially with the limited options you have when you first start getting them. And literally everybody shares that opinion, don't worry.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Unoriginal One posted:

*Not as bad as you might think, so long as you avoid any terrain features that look like they might pop up out of the ground to kill you, because they'll pop up out of the ground and kill you. Also avoid any terrain features that don't look like they'll pop up out of the ground to kill you, because those will pop up out of the ground and kill you.

gently caress all of those, in any area. Even ones 30 levels below me. I just want to run around and explore and pick up blue shinies.

Seriously, why do ones that are low enough level that they wouldn't aggro if they were normal creatures wandering around still jump out of the ground at you? :fuckoff:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like the story mission that makes you walk across an extremely narrow cliff covered in enemies hiding under the ground. They are pretty obvious but its easy enough to kill them so its not a big deal. Then at the end of the cliff there's a level 40 tyrant hiding next to the entrance to the cave you need to go through because gently caress you.

Stuff like that wouldn't annoy me so much if running away actually worked. Instead I get oneshot by a projectile it fires from 50 feet away that passes through the terrain.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

So, after getting my Ares 90 that was tricked out with a dozen slayer Ultrfauna XXs taken down by Telethia without doing more than like 30% damage I checked how to actually beat it.

A second superweapon, 9 more slayer augs, maxing out as many phys boosts as I can, and five ranged attack drives. Each level of phys boost takes like 5 items only found in time attack. You need to get like fourty levels of it. I want to take down the ultrafauna, but so much grind...:negative:

...Well, at least some parts aren't that bad. Once I've got the slayer augs I can probably break all zero's parts in one or two shots, so that will speed things up a bit. And there are still a few other things I can do to take my mind off of it. And I'm definitely not getting more than a couple things in one sitting.

I can do this.

Right now I want to do it so I get the other ending for a quest where I need to kill Telethia. After that, probably a cathartic half dozen times to just prove I can.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/73240088/843365257

I found that build yesterday and already had a lot of the necessary augments so I went ahead and put it into practice myself. I killed the Endbringer twice tonight and I didn't have everything the build lays out. I only used 3 Ultrafauna XX and 3 Max GP Drive. A number of my slots really didn't have anything useful on them (they had things like potential +10 or critical chance +7). I did have an opening damage 100% on. I found the important thing was to have an overdrive ready when you can damage it in the second phase, and then hopefully kill it before it goes into the third. If it does get to the third phase make sure you have an overdrive ready before you engage.

CGH fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 5, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ashsaber posted:

I can do this.

Just keep in mind you can't change the loadout of the Ares90. If you want to get that second super weapon, you'll need a lv 60 Skell frame to put it on.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I swam to Cauldros and put a probe in the little island to the west. And I'm glad I did, because as I tried to enter the main island, fire rained down from the sky and killed me. If I had been sent all the way back to Sylvalum I would have screamed.

PS Nopon are assholes, wtf

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Goddddddddd this 'select squad' screen has good music. Like boss music good. I just sit here smoking and imagine my animeblade fight sequences.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
EVERYTHING WILL NEEVER CHAANGE.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a guide to a bunch of stuff.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g0YR4M8RAHiRhCbAvV4tjXXHLEhRMrARzZMYAUGmyZ4/htmlview?sle=true

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Anyone have any advice for someone considering a second playthrough? I wasn't planning on doing one, but when the Smash DLC dropped I had to move everything off the WiiU onto the external to make room and accidentally ended up copying a blank xenoblade save over my actual post-game file. :suicide: At least I played through the story, even if I couldn't get to any of the post-story stuff.

I guess Ill play a different class maybe? Are there any that give you Skell buffs? I did the longsword class on my first playthrough and it really didn't matter much once I got Skells, even for the final boss.

edit: Advice to spice things up and maybe make it go a bit faster this time, I mean

edit: Final boss spoilers Who else saved up just enough fuel to melt Lao's face with the Hexad after whittling him down on foot? :v:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 6, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm 60 hours in, all set to get into chapter 11, and have lost absolutely all drive to continue with this game. Are the character quests worth doing, story-wise, or are they all boring power of friendship schlock?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

THE loving MOON posted:

I guess Ill play a different class maybe? Are there any that give you Skell buffs? I did the longsword class on my first playthrough and it really didn't matter much once I got Skells, even for the final boss.

How did you only play one class? I had at least three mastered by the time I finished. Are you aware that after mastering a class line you can equip its weapons when you're a different class? You're kind of expected to master a few and then mix and match weapons to try out different art combinations.

Galactic Knight gives you the skills Synchrony (increases melee and ranged attack and accuracy, evasion, and potential while piloting a skell) and Stellar Entry (increase your GP when you enter a skell while in overdrive), I think that's about it for skell buffs from classes.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Not a Children posted:

I'm 60 hours in, all set to get into chapter 11, and have lost absolutely all drive to continue with this game. Are the character quests worth doing, story-wise, or are they all boring power of friendship schlock?

Grinding affinities is terrible, I'd pretty much stick to affinity missions for Elma, Lin, and whoever you bring along as your 4th most of the time. I recommend Alexa so you can get the lv. 60 skell at the end of her track.

Gwin too I guess, I think you need 2 hearts with him to get all the way through the story. :shrug:

^edit: lol WHAT. I had no idea, I guess I'll get more in depth this time

I just used longswords, and focused on fire arts/skills. it worked pretty much okay until I got Skells. Then I just did that.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 6, 2016

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Don't try to grind out everyone's levels or affinities before beating the game. Beating the final chapter unlocks support missions, which give you big chunks of XP/BP/affinity/etc. Just pick whoever you like and finish the game with them, and worry about maxing everyone else later if you feel like it.

Edit: although having said that, it's probably quicker to level everyone up by getting an Amdusias and a Phoenix and killing Joker over and over again than it is with the support missions, it's just affinity (and BP for yourself) that you'd be insane to try to grind before beating the game

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 6, 2016

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Suaimhneas posted:

Don't try to grind out everyone's levels or affinities before beating the game. Beating the final chapter unlocks support missions, which give you big chunks of XP/BP/affinity/etc. Just pick whoever you like and finish the game with them, and worry about maxing everyone else later if you feel like it.

I saw the message for the support missions, but I never got to try any of them. :(

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, it appears I vastly overestimated how much of a grind it would be to kill telethia. I had based my calculations on Deva Calder's Red Right Ear, a 210 ticket item. Most of the materials I need are 30 or 90 tickets each. I'm basically down to just boosting my phys damage a bunch, probably taking maybe 5-10 minutes a weapon to get the materials. Suddenly everything looks much less intimidating.

...Except maybe getting BP for experimenting with other weapons. The support missions for that feel way too tedious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE loving MOON posted:

edit: Final boss spoilers Who else saved up just enough fuel to melt Lao's face with the Hexad after whittling him down on foot? :v:

Kinda. I flunked the first attempt, so I waited at the respawn point a little to get some fuel and then bushwhacked him with a G-Buster. Stunned him into a Bind and held him down while the rest beat his rear end like a drum. Repeat with the Gravity Shot, Bind again, and by the time he actually pulled his fuel-drain move he had about a quarter of his health left

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 6, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Suaimhneas posted:

For me once a game is done there's no point doing the post game stuff. I don't understand why they'd put the support missions there at all!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To make doing post game content a lot less meticulous or at least mitigating that as much as they can

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised how much of a focus people are putting on missions. The game is way better if you just focus on the planet and see what it has to offer. Look at it this way, "you're stuck on a different planet." There's no need to completely ignore that in favor of horrible anime tropes. The story would have been better if it turned out the Ganglion wanted to kill humans because animes are bad and ruin everything they touch. Then you would be like "Yeah, I can see that. They certainly made this game worse."

I would love to see Miyazaki make this kind of game. He said he wanted to move on from Souls, so I hope this is what he had in mind. The whole don't hollow concept would transfer very nicely into the don't go extinct concept, while allowing him to make a completely different game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone mixed Uncontrollable and Wake Me Up Inside together yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Safety Scissors posted:

I would love to see Miyazaki make this kind of game. He said he wanted to move on from Souls, so I hope this is what he had in mind. The whole don't hollow concept would transfer very nicely into the don't go extinct concept, while allowing him to make a completely different game.

soul of the mind, key to life's anime~
soul of the lost, withdrawn from its VHS

• Locked thread