Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure she basically just went "do what I say or I expose you" which he wasn't expecting because she's Kudelia.

And people are going to take her word over his because

Not to mention that, as shown by the fact that her broadcast got through, he can apparently suppress or allow whatever the hell he wants, when he wants. Who's she going to tell? Gjallerhorn? The corrupt as gently caress guys who just set up a riot among the lower class so they could justify massacring them without looking bad to the public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They have literal actual evidence in the form of the paperwork

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Green Intern posted:

I'm kind of astonished that Ein hasn't been killed by Mika yet.

He's not important enough or enough of a threat to bother. :smug:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

This is legit the best gundam show I've seen since War in the Pocket by a huge loving margin. It's kind of amazing how massively better it is than the last decade or so of the franchise. And the fact that it has been consistently good with barely any characteristic gundam filler is even more surprising.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So where was Mr. Mask watching all the action from?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

And people are going to take her word over his because

Not to mention that, as shown by the fact that her broadcast got through, he can apparently suppress or allow whatever the hell he wants, when he wants. Who's she going to tell? Gjallerhorn? The corrupt as gently caress guys who just set up a riot among the lower class so they could justify massacring them without looking bad to the public?

Because, ironically, they set it up so people would take her word seriously.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Really hoping that the news crew self-embeds with Tekkadan, and tells their side of the war as it progresses. It'd be nice to have them complete the face-turn after they impassively watched an entire street full of people get mulched by heavy weapons fire.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Green Intern posted:

So where was Mr. Mask watching all the action from?

His personal ship, with a crew that is presumably more family loyal than they are to gallahorn. Also the easy bake Guison remix model kit gave away fun gimmick that's gonna ruin at least a couple of graze pilot's day.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I insane in thinking there are so many comparisons to the Expanse series of books in this series to start making me wonder if it's no coincidence?

* Newscast team playing a pivotal role for escape/information control.
* A guy who seems to be without a moral compass, who uses a person he trusts to work as one.
* Non-earthers being oppressed.
* Non-earthers having physiological differences compared to earthers.
* A female politician being underestimated.

There's one other pivotal piece that's kinda uncanny but that'd go to spoiler territory for the books.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dessel posted:

Am I insane in thinking there are so many comparisons to the Expanse series of books in this series to start making me wonder if it's no coincidence?

* A guy who seems to be without a moral compass, who uses a person he trusts to work as one.

There's one other pivotal piece that's kinda uncanny but that'd go to spoiler territory for the books.

These are almost all incredibly common plot beats even within the Gundam franchise itself and discounting other anime or science fiction. The only one of those that isn't an incredibly commonplace feature is a news team, and even then you've had bits and pieces of it(Kai was a news guy/super spy in Zeta and Saji's sister was an investigative reporter in 00).

I mean, poo poo, the entire concept of Newtypes are physiologically different spacenoids oppressed and used as weapons by oldtypes, and underestimated peace princesses are a dime a dozen in AU Gundams.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 2, 2016

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Dessel posted:

Which character from the expanse fits this role? It's been awhile since I read any of the books.

Also agree with Kanos, most are pretty common they might as well be tropes.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Dessel posted:

Others have mentioned how the other plot elements you mentioned are kinda common in the Gundam franchise alone, but I'm curious about this one. Could you mention it in spoilers for people who've read the book (or, like me, probably never will)?

Kanos posted:

The only one of those that isn't an incredibly commonplace feature is a news team, and even then you've had bits and pieces of it(Kai was a news guy/super spy in Zeta and Saji's sister was an investigative reporter in 00).

Kai in Zeta is a bit of stretch; he was more of a cameo, and his place in the plot was (iirc, it's been years) being the final straw in convincing Quattro to admit that he's Char.

I don't remember 00 enough to comment on the other character. What a forgettable show that was.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 2, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Reporters being recurring characters in war stories is a ridiculously common plot point, to the point that stories about war correspondents are a genre unto themselves.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dessel posted:

Yeah, better drop the spoiler on us because you're going to need to be a bit more specific than that.

That list consists of stuff that's either common in the Gundam franchise or common in general.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Also how are martians physically different in IBO or anyone for that matter? Unless I have forgotten a line of dialogue, they seem to not really give a poo poo about environment affecting people.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sazabi posted:

Also how are martians physically different in IBO

More emaciated. :v:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

More emaciated. :v:

Laugh now, wait till they bulk up.

AVS maybe.

But no Newtypes so far thank goodness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
"Hey, Orga? I don't have enough nightmarish ways to kill people yet. Let's fix that."

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That looks painful.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaws of lifedeath.

Kar
Dec 29, 2004

Dessel posted:

The same thought had occurred to me. I got caught up on the show last week (haven't read the books) and definitely noticed some parallels. I appreciate that individually these are all relatively common plot points, but I don't think you could peg any other Gundam show to being quite so similar to The Expanse. The situation surrounding Mars gaining independence and how the workers/belters are treated on the space stations are a couple of other things I noted. I'm sure it's all coincidental, but the overall tone and feel of the show had a definite similarity.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
These shows aren't the first solar system based sci fi stories with a big focus is on class warfare you know.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr. Belpit posted:

Kai in Zeta is a bit of stretch; he was more of a cameo, and his place in the plot was (iirc, it's been years) being the final straw in convincing Quattro to admit that he's Char.

I don't remember 00 enough to comment on the other character. What a forgettable show that was.

Kai in Zeta had a far more major role than the reporters in IBO have had so far. They don't even have names yet, as far as I'm aware.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Kai in Zeta had a far more major role than the reporters in IBO have had so far. They don't even have names yet, as far as I'm aware.

On the other hand, they do seem to be imitating Beltorchika's role of exposing the sins of the Titans to give weight to a speech by a heroic politician - and at roughly the same point in the story, too.

Kar
Dec 29, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

These shows aren't the first solar system based sci fi stories with a big focus is on class warfare you know.

No, but they are two shows that are airing concurrently. I wonder why that would make them more likely to be compared.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

The better to latch onto a Graze's arm with, so that Mika can hit a mobile suit with another mobile suit.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Spinner Rodi needs and MS Converge figure and to have that little word balloon as it's accessory

also any one else seeing a
T-Rex head shape in the design of the Chainsaw Club Barbatos has?

I kind of want to see a customization that takes that to a ludicrous but logical end

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lanz posted:

Spinner Rodi needs and MS Converge figure and to have that little word balloon as it's accessory

also any one else seeing a
T-Rex head shape in the design of the Chainsaw Club Barbatos has?

I kind of want to see a customization that takes that to a ludicrous but logical end

its just an alligator lopper, that already exists.

Theyre good for cutting branches and logs.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 4, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/nnn_2nd/status/694206419789152256

A more important looks like.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was just thinking - how would Ein react if Norba killed Gaelio with the Ryusei-Go?

Can... can the human body even contain that much rage?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You mean Gully gully?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I was just thinking - how would Ein react if Norba killed Gaelio with the Ryusei-Go?

Does the show even have enough budget for thermonuclear butthurt?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Darth Walrus posted:

He'd finally achieve it: the legendary Super Salty.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That'd turn Ein into IBO's Jerid, only replacing "girlfriends" with "bosses" in the "constantly killed by protagonist" category.

Admittedly, that'd be really fun to see. Have him inherit the Kimaris so he can actually give Mika a fight too.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Ein would be a decent Jerid if we ever got to see him to anything other than swear revenge over Crank. Jerid had dreams and even some piloting skills (for much of the series he keeps getting very close to landing killshots on Kamille, only to have one of Kamille's buddies interfere at the last second) and had a gradual degradation from a flawed but not one-dimensional character into the pathetic thing he became at the end.

Ein so far hasn't had that. If they're going for a Jerid arc, then they went too fast and already have a character self-destructively obsessed with revenge. I hope it's because they're going a different direction entirely, but he's been relegated to such background status that the last ep had him talking about stuff from the first two eps. He's so far a deadweight in the cast, so I hope the writers have something in store to make his presence worthwhile.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mr. Belpit posted:

Ein would be a decent Jerid if we ever got to see him to anything other than swear revenge over Crank. Jerid had dreams and even some piloting skills (for much of the series he keeps getting very close to landing killshots on Kamille, only to have one of Kamille's buddies interfere at the last second) and had a gradual degradation from a flawed but not one-dimensional character into the pathetic thing he became at the end.

Ein so far hasn't had that. If they're going for a Jerid arc, then they went too fast and already have a character self-destructively obsessed with revenge. I hope it's because they're going a different direction entirely, but he's been relegated to such background status that the last ep had him talking about stuff from the first two eps. He's so far a deadweight in the cast, so I hope the writers have something in store to make his presence worthwhile.

Just want to say Jerid was a great character that got to fly mostly really cool MSes (not a fan of the Bound Doc) and I'm glad he good a good story in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 with Shin and Lunamaria.

So far I'm not sure I see the point of Ein right now, besides possibly so Gaelio has someone to talk to since McGillis hasn't been in the show for a while.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So ridiculous kabuki lady is actually slightly more ridiculous than expected. I approve. Looks like we'll be seeing the Turbine girls' new suits next episode, too. Meanwhile, Atra's harem plan status: still on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the mech designer from took hints from Mamoru Nagano. A lot of the designs look really Five Star Stories-ish, what with the wasp waists, high heels and big shoulders.

• Locked thread