Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Imapanda posted:

So is the export number bug just a cosmetic glitch in the UI? Or does the game not recognize that you're exporting wealth at all?

Judging by what other goons posted, it's not just cosmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

He nailed the bug right after the previous release, though. Should be fine again in the coming version.

e: and yeah it's pretty bad. No humans with their trade-value-only requirements or other wealth prequisites either. Apparently has something to do with how fort liaisons hang around after the caravan leaves and don't send the news back with the embarking wagons.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 30, 2016

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

The weather effects had potential to be cool, unfortunately the reality is its unfun instadeath mechanics. Iirc bad weather also doesn't effect invaders right? I recall embarking in a biome that had rain that randomly made people become stunned, it was funny watching birds and birdmen plummet to the ground randomly after being covered in the rain. What wasn't funny was the human trader caravan's horse getting stunned right on top a trap and setting it off. What really wasn't fun was the ambush party that followed them being completely immune to the rain's effects.
Bad weather does murder the poo poo out of invaders. I have watched it do so to entire goblin sieges on my forts. It is hilarious. All you need to do is shut the doors to gently caress up their pathing and then ignore them until the horrible ooze begins falling from the sky again.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The only possible "immunity" you can have from terrorweather is shoes protecting you from the gunk on the ground, this is why wildlife is hosed by default. Nothing stops the stuff that wafts* or rains on you.

* there's some evidence to suggest that you can only inhale contaminants with a chance of introduction once every so many ticks, so you could potentially dodge the effect and duck out of the cloud holding your breath before it gets to you

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 30, 2016

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I just had my entire fortress wiped out by a glass forgotten beast with web attacks. I figured web attacks meant that like, one dwarf might get caught in a web occasionally and I could just swarm it with my entire military and it would die. Instead it spewed webs rapid fire webs everywhere killed all 30 of my military dwarfs in a few seconds and then finished off the rest of my 170 dwarf fortress. Will it still be wandering around if I try to reclaim? I'm not sure if it's even possible to kill something like that without some sort of elaborate trap.

scamtank posted:

He nailed the bug right after the previous release, though. Should be fine again in the coming version.

e: and yeah it's pretty bad. No humans with their trade-value-only requirements or other wealth prequisites either. Apparently has something to do with how fort liaisons hang around after the caravan leaves and don't send the news back with the embarking wagons.

You can also work around it for now with a memory editor. There are instructions here. (only thing I would add is that if you do the initial search in Cheat Engine you don't need to convert your initial value for your search)

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I just had my entire fortress wiped out by a glass forgotten beast with web attacks. I figured web attacks meant that like, one dwarf might get caught in a web occasionally and I could just swarm it with my entire military and it would die. Instead it spewed webs rapid fire webs everywhere killed all 30 of my military dwarfs in a few seconds and then finished off the rest of my 170 dwarf fortress. Will it still be wandering around if I try to reclaim? I'm not sure if it's even possible to kill something like that without some sort of elaborate trap.

A drawbridge with some fortifications near it is useful for a fort that connect directly to cavern layers.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

A thing I like a lot that's brought up relatively seldom because it hasn't changed in a long time is the default DF music. In my opinion it's a very good and surprisingly long-lasting song, and it's cool that Toady composed & played it himself.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I haven't played DF since v0.40.19.

How is everyone enjoying 0.42.05? Do things seem stable? Is it safe to start generating some big worlds?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I regularly generate max size worlds with max embark sites and whatnot. Although I have yet to do it beyond SHORT time length.

edit: How fast do all of you usually burrow for the caverns? I wanna try embarking on a site with no above ground wood but I'm scared of the caves :ohdear:

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 31, 2016

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kitfox88 posted:

I regularly generate max size worlds with max embark sites and whatnot. Although I have yet to do it beyond SHORT time length.

edit: How fast do all of you usually burrow for the caverns? I wanna try embarking on a site with no above ground wood but I'm scared of the caves :ohdear:

You can burrow down immediately and just plug up the hole. Underground mushrooms don't need a connection to the caverns, just for the caverns to have been discovered.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dilkington posted:

I haven't played DF since v0.40.19.

How is everyone enjoying 0.42.05? Do things seem stable? Is it safe to start generating some big worlds?

It's good! Stable as DF ever is, might as well start playing.

Kitfox88 posted:

The most fun game I ever played I did 4 dwarfs skilled and outfitted as soldiers, 1 farmer, and 2 skill-less miners. Dove straight for the caverns and started carving rooms out of the stalagmites and stuff. Tried to wall off a section of the caverns to be secure. It was a blast.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Kenning posted:

It's good! Stable as DF ever is, might as well start playing.

The most fun game I ever played I did 4 dwarfs skilled and outfitted as soldiers, 1 farmer, and 2 skill-less miners. Dove straight for the caverns and started carving rooms out of the stalagmites and stuff. Tried to wall off a section of the caverns to be secure. It was a blast.

Are you able to get migrants and dwarven merchants via deep roads? Setting up an outpost sounds like fun

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Robot Randy posted:

Are you able to get migrants and dwarven merchants via deep roads? Setting up an outpost sounds like fun

I've had them leave that way before, not sure about them coming in that way.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Written on the item is a Manuel entitled Never Underestimate Completing the Square. It concerns the solving of Quadratic Equations by completing the square. The writing has a hint to viciousness to it. Overall the prose is splendid"

Art imitating life. This guy knows how to be angry at math.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I had an animal reproduction thesis that was tactlessly riddled with asides into the author's personal fancies and preferences.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've got some cabinets in my tavern – why isn't anyone storing goblets in it? Do I just need more goblets? I've got a tavern keeper and an alcohol stockpile in the tavern.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Kenning posted:

I've got some cabinets in my tavern – why isn't anyone storing goblets in it? Do I just need more goblets? I've got a tavern keeper and an alcohol stockpile in the tavern.

cabinets are for clothes, you need coffers or bags for goblets.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Okay that's good to know. Now another one: I downloaded DF Hack from here, but when I try to run dfhack-run from the folder it opens a screen which then closes immediately and I have no DF Hack. This is while DF is running. What do I need to do to get this to work? I've only ever used it with a nice integrated LNP.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

You don't run DFHack. As long as all the right bits are in the right place, the console window will pop up automatically.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I guess my next question is: what are the right bits, and where do they go.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I can only speak for Windows, but it's "installed" by just throwing the entire .zip into the the \Dwarf Fortress\ folder. The most important thing is that sdl.dll gets overwritten, that's the back door it uses to access the memory.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Friends!! A log!!!!

Toady One posted:

Since we have an image-specifying interface now, I went ahead and let you set your official group symbol now when you embark. You can let the computer continue doing it if you want (and you'll continue getting "a shirt" and so forth). The new specifications for individual jobs and engravings are more or less ready now (a few loose ends left). The next major step along that branch of development is going to be allowing you to set details in the manager and otherwise improving the manager/workshop profiles, though I think in the interest of getting the finished bug fixes out we'll squeeze in a release before we start in on that, since there are possible time sinks lurking there.

Here's a video of Armok Invaders in DF courtesy of BaronWable. It's always fun to see the DF computer projects.

Looks like it was my turn to have Tarn telepathically nick my ideas before I could open a suggestion. Screaming horses on every sigil

Also, Deon successfully injected some sense into the naming conventions

e: and that sure is a playable version of space invaders in Arena mode, holy gently caress

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Dear Dwarves,

During a siege, could you guys NOT climb over the fortifications and jump into a crowd of goblins? Especially you, marksdwarves.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm pretty sure when creatures dodge attacks, they can move in any direction including up, down, diagonal forward/down etc. I like it when random dudes dodge up onto walls and I don't notice and they die of thirst up there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Isn't smooth brickwork immune to climbing actions, though?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Just in case people didn't click the link for the "Armok Invaders" video in the last DevPost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2cMHwo3nAU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It still amuses me that Toady spends a year making sure the world's scholars properly exchange and develop technologies and ideas, then quickly cranks out the power to make specific item orders during the bugfixing stage. He's done that before too with minecarts...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I don't expect it to come in the next release, but in a Future of the Fortress post he mentioned that he at least thinks the "broken toe->KO from pain" thing is a problem to be addressed.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lareine posted:

Dear Dwarves,

During a siege, could you guys NOT climb over the fortifications and jump into a crowd of goblins? Especially you, marksdwarves.

This is why you build a second layer on top. And a possible overhang.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

PublicOpinion posted:

I don't expect it to come in the next release, but in a Future of the Fortress post he mentioned that he at least thinks the "broken toe->KO from pain" thing is a problem to be addressed.

YESSSSS

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I wish DFHACK had better documentation. Does any one know the EXACT command to spawn some leather or a resource that gives examples of ALL the commands you can use with DFHACK? For example you type "createitem help" you get "instructions" for createitem <item> <material> [count] and then it lists what item material and count are. Great... except then it says "Item token for what you wish to create, as specified in custom reactions. If the item has no subtype, omit the :NONE. ???? Are you kidding me? What the gently caress does that mean? I'm not a god drat programmer I'm a jackass trying to enjoy a game. I need an exact command to spawn some leather to keep a moody dwarf from loving my fortress....

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

FalloutGod posted:

I wish DFHACK had better documentation. Does any one know the EXACT command to spawn some leather or a resource that gives examples of ALL the commands you can use with DFHACK? For example you type "createitem help" you get "instructions" for createitem <item> <material> [count] and then it lists what item material and count are. Great... except then it says "Item token for what you wish to create, as specified in custom reactions. If the item has no subtype, omit the :NONE. ???? Are you kidding me? What the gently caress does that mean? I'm not a god drat programmer I'm a jackass trying to enjoy a game. I need an exact command to spawn some leather to keep a moody dwarf from loving my fortress....

After you've clambered past the starting Dwarf Fortress threshold? lmao

Here's one that works, try createitem SKIN_TANNED CREATURE_MAT:TIGER:LEATHER 1

scamtank fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 5, 2016

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Item tokens are found on the wiki here, the item token for leather is SKIN_TANNED. The material it'd probably be looking for would be something like DOG:SKIN.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 5, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah having some familiarity with standard DF modding would help with DFhack; I went over the documentation a bit and it assumes you're already very familiar with it, since most mods are going to have to involve mucking with raws anyways.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

PublicOpinion posted:

Item tokens are found on the wiki here, the item token for leather is SKIN_TANNED. The material it'd probably be looking for would be something like DOG:SKIN.

Dog Shells. Yeah, that's the last material I magic'd into existence. loving canine crustacean exoskeletons 'cause my fisherdorfs caused a mass extinction of every water critter. Whole lot more complicated than "This floor is rubies now because I'm sick of dealing with the gem cut/set menu spam." Sidenote: the new DFHack is supposed to have Gem Cut automation in it, I hear:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11309 http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=11309&f=PeridexisErrant%27s+Starter+Pack+0.42.05-r01.zip

0.42.05.r01 LNP for windows. Has DFHack/Dwarf Therapist, etc. Haven't had a chance to test it.

DFHack is "pre-release" in that pack, everything else should be fine.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 5, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

If Peridexis is comfortable releasing the pack, it means that Lethosor is comfortable releasing the DFHack base, which means that you can expect it to work better than my unreliable compiles, which have worked pretty much without problems up to this point.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Dwarf Fortress: Become a Boner

https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/695408810995744768
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/695422058302275584
https://twitter.com/Bay12Games/status/695502027900604417

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Tried that new pack with DFhack but I keep having the problem of the graphics being reset to ASCII when I try to open it with DFHack enabled.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Thanks for the feedback folks. I was being moody after having a couple of beers and on my 3rd fort restart of the day. I enjoy challenging games but drat sometimes you just want to get a little further than you did last time before having to restart. Crisis was averted and the dwarf got his leather before he tantrum spiraled everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Lareine posted:

Tried that new pack with DFhack but I keep having the problem of the graphics being reset to ASCII when I try to open it with DFHack enabled.

Yeah, TWBT does that. Did you actually play further than the main menu?