Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never had prosciutto, i'm guessing that pizza tastes like a hot hawaiin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not at all, prosciutto is very creamy and salty, and the cantaloupe balances that perfectly. It also has arugula to add some crunch, and the Via Napoli crust is to die for. Just look at this thing. That's a personal sized pizza, for reference.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

It turns out the real magic in "magic hours" is that half the cast disappears and they close most of the rides.

Edit: Dole whip stand open in MK. Between that and the grouper at BOG night redeemed.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 4, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
If the Dole Whip stand is open, it's all good.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Vegas.. adult Disney.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Loucks posted:

It turns out the real magic in "magic hours" is that half the cast disappears and they close most of the rides.

Edit: Dole whip stand open in MK. Between that and the grouper at BOG night redeemed.

EMH tonight was kind of silly. The park was basically empty by the time I left and that was an hour before "Park" Close and the start of EMH.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Why is Peter Pan's Flight at 35 min wait and Haunted Mansion 10 min? I didn't ride PPF because the waits were always horrendous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

Why is Peter Pan's Flight at 35 min wait and Haunted Mansion 10 min? I didn't ride PPF because the waits were always horrendous.

Horribly slow and inefficient throughput and frequent stops/breakdowns.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Is there any good reason to ride it other than just because? I watched the YouTube ride through and wasn't impressed.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anya posted:

Is there any good reason to ride it other than just because? I watched the YouTube ride through and wasn't impressed.

Nostalgia and that's about it. As someone with:

0 nostalgia for peter pan or the ride

it was really bad and not anything better than a dark ride at your local amusement park except that it runs off of a ski lift system.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Peter Pan is sort of a victim of it's own success. It was popular because of the novelty of flying above the scenes, then with the advent of Fastpass, it became even more popular, meaning they run out of fastpasses early. This ensures a full fastpass line at all times, slowing the standby wait, making the waits longer, thus making people think its great, and then fastpasses run out.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Gotcha. Maybe someday then I will check that one off.
As for a birthday trip, looks like my husband is ehh about coming down in November so I think this means a baller selfie trip for me! I'm cool with running around by myself so I'm stoked.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most underapprecaited ride it seemed to me at Disney World, atleast the one that isn't PeopleMover, is Winnie the Pooh. :3:

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I wish there were more dark rides at Magic Kingdom! Peter Pan's line is way too long but it's really pretty and the suspension is still fun for me. I also like Winnie the Pooh a lot, especially the bouncing section with Tigger! I like the animatronics in a Little Mermaid too, especially Ursula. I guess that's why I'm looking forward to the new Frozen ride, even if it's technically a boat ride. I just like leisurely riding past movie scenes in dayglo paint with the soundtrack on a loop?

It does seem difficult to have a dark ride with high capacity unless it's an omnimover like Haunted Mansion though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Splash Mountain seems to do it fine :shrug: If you consider that a dark ride

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Edna Mode posted:

I wish there were more dark rides at Magic Kingdom! Peter Pan's line is way too long but it's really pretty and the suspension is still fun for me. I also like Winnie the Pooh a lot, especially the bouncing section with Tigger! I like the animatronics in a Little Mermaid too, especially Ursula. I guess that's why I'm looking forward to the new Frozen ride, even if it's technically a boat ride. I just like leisurely riding past movie scenes in dayglo paint with the soundtrack on a loop?

It does seem difficult to have a dark ride with high capacity unless it's an omnimover like Haunted Mansion though.

Omnimoviers and Boats both have high capacity (Mansion and Pirates are the two biggest capacity rides in the park)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Pirates and Little Mermaid were both good for me but I would give Mermaid the higher rating because I am actually six years old at heart. Though, I did love the retrograde tilt in HM.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I guess I was referring mostly to the movie based rides like Snow White, Mr. Toad, etc.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Abu Dave posted:

Most underapprecaited ride it seemed to me at Disney World, atleast the one that isn't PeopleMover, is Winnie the Pooh. :3:

The only downside to the MK version of Pooh is that is lacks the heads of Max, Melvin and Buff

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I still wished they had made the Little Mermaid ride suspension like Peter Pan like they showed in the dvd one of the the films. There was suppose to be a mist of fog(like the Mermaid show) that you dive below to simulate going under the sea.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Update on honeymoon trip: we've moved the trip date to "after Labour Day" on the advice of our travel agent, and he's suggested upgrading to the Port Orleans Riverside since (allegedly) there's supposed to be a discount going up in April that'd give a free dining plan for anyone who's booked to a Moderate resort. Fiance is enthused, and I'm cautiously optimistic on that last point, considering all that Braks has said about no one knowing when free dining is coming out. Maybe this is different, maybe it isn't - but we're booked to a nicer hotel and we'd need the dining plan anyways.

Fiance is mildly concerned that 10 days won't be long enough for us to fully explore all the parks, but everyone he's asked this of so far (including me!) has assured him that yes, that's plenty of time. And that should give us lots of time to explore each park at a reasonable pace, right? I mean, sure, there's going to be a lot of walking, but we won't need to meticulously plan out each day in order to make sure we don't miss out on anything, will we? (I don't think we will, from what I've read here, but now I'm actually a little worried about it.)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first time I went was in December and we had 7 days I believe. 3 at MK, 2 at Epcot, 1 at AK and 1 at MGM. We saw mostly everything we wanted, the only stuff we missed out on was because we were too tired. I think 8 days would be the perfect amount as the only park I feel like I missed stuff on (atleast stuff I wanted to see) was AK.

MGM is barren if you're a adult so we were done with that park at like one o clock if we didn't want to just ride Tower of Terror and Rock N Roller coaster non stop.

Park Hoppers are worth it though imho, because by day 4 we would just go to a park in the morning, leave at about 4, take a nap for a few hours then go to another park to eat and ride rides. I would suggest that doing Epcot 1.5 days and AK 1.5 days would work the best. There wasn't much to do in Future World when we where there other than wait in the lines for Soarin (not worth it) or Test Track (worth it)

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 4, 2016

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I disagree about park hopper. If you're going for 10 days, especially in a more dead period, I don't think they are necessary at all especially given how expensive they are these days.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
To be fair, it's $65 to add park hopper and it's not a per day thing, but a one time cost. $6.50 a day times 10 for going to multiple parks is pretty awesome.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I guess it just depends on what you want out of the parks. If i'm not at a park I feel like i'm not getting my moneys worth. So Park Hopper is worth it for my stupid brian. I wouldn't spend a "rest day" or a "disney springs day" because it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I can see that. But, with the sheer amount of walking that you do, I do wish I would have taken an afternoon to do nothing but drink by the pool, or explore the resorts. If you are there for 6+ days, you can slow your pace down and enjoy everything. A 2-4 day trip, maybe not, unless you've been there a bunch and you know what you like to do. I think that's why I want my next stay to be about a week. More expensive, but 12-14 hour days of hitting the pavement is tiring and dang it - it's called a vacation for a reason.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

tinytort posted:

Update on honeymoon trip: we've moved the trip date to "after Labour Day" on the advice of our travel agent, and he's suggested upgrading to the Port Orleans Riverside since (allegedly) there's supposed to be a discount going up in April that'd give a free dining plan for anyone who's booked to a Moderate resort. Fiance is enthused, and I'm cautiously optimistic on that last point, considering all that Braks has said about no one knowing when free dining is coming out. Maybe this is different, maybe it isn't - but we're booked to a nicer hotel and we'd need the dining plan anyways.

Fiance is mildly concerned that 10 days won't be long enough for us to fully explore all the parks, but everyone he's asked this of so far (including me!) has assured him that yes, that's plenty of time. And that should give us lots of time to explore each park at a reasonable pace, right? I mean, sure, there's going to be a lot of walking, but we won't need to meticulously plan out each day in order to make sure we don't miss out on anything, will we? (I don't think we will, from what I've read here, but now I'm actually a little worried about it.)

I hate hate hate HATE when agents tell you they KNOW any discount will be available. I am very suspicious of agents that do that because we don't know what discounts will be available at any time until they are released. In fact, just within the past few months has Disney started telling us the day before a discount will be released that one's coming. They don't tell us what it is, just that one is imminent. So, if that guy is telling you that he knows a free dining promo is coming, he's lying to you. No one knows that but Disney. And, to be perfectly honest with you, and like I've said several times in this thread, I'm pretty sure free dining is being phased out entirely. Based on the promo they did for spring with the one free quick service meal a day, I think I'm 100% right on that point.

Also, moving now to a resort that you suspect will have a discount is stupid. You'll still have to apply the discount and that is still based on what availability is like for the promo. So, let's say that Riverside has 1000 rooms blocked off for the promo and you're booked in one of the 1000 rack rate rooms. You still have to manage to grab one of the 1000 that is included in the promo. If 1000 people get there before you, you're stuck at rack rate. Does that make sense? So it really doesn't matter where you start, you still have to manage to grab that one room blocked off for the promo. You don't automatically get the discount because you were booked at Riverside to start with. I'm honestly very suspicious of your travel agent.

Ten days IS plenty of time to do a lot at Disney and with a trip that long, I don't think park hoppers are a necessity. They are pretty awesome if you like moving around a bunch between parks daily, but with a trip that long you can pace yourself pretty well.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 4, 2016

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Talk to me about marathon weekend at WDW. The soon-to-be-wife and I are thinking about signing up for the half marathon as an excuse to go and I'm wondering what to expect from the parks (crowds, weather, etc.). I've been to WDW a bunch, we used to go for three weeks and stay off-site at a condo, with probably seven park days in there. I haven't been since 2006, though.

I would love to stay at Boardwalk Inn since it seems close to the finish in EPCOT, and it's just a cool place from what I remember.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm pro park hopper. To me the cost is negligible when you think about the total cost of a trip to WDW. With AK and HS closing earlier in the day it's nice to be able to hit up Epcot or MK for the fireworks show on those days. There's plenty of stuff to do otherwise, but I like the flexibility the park hopper gives us.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's a good point, AK closes at like 5, 6 at the latest. The other parks close 10-12 or even later sometimes. That's a whole other day!!!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody know if the Star Wars fireworks are hanging around? I'll be there early April.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

As far as I know they have no plans to stop them. Something may change in 2 months, but I haven't heard anything to imply that they weren't sticking around for awhile.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

skipdogg posted:

I'm pro park hopper. To me the cost is negligible when you think about the total cost of a trip to WDW. With AK and HS closing earlier in the day it's nice to be able to hit up Epcot or MK for the fireworks show on those days. There's plenty of stuff to do otherwise, but I like the flexibility the park hopper gives us.

I'm perfectly fine not seeing fireworks every day. And we usually couple an AK or HS day with a resort type dinner/trader sams/downtown Disney/boardwalk. If you're going for 10 days, I think the usefulness of a park hopper is pretty low. You're gonna have plenty of time to do everything more than once. And $65 times how ever many people you have going can add up to a good night at trader Sam's, so I'd take that trade any day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Omne posted:

Talk to me about marathon weekend at WDW. The soon-to-be-wife and I are thinking about signing up for the half marathon as an excuse to go and I'm wondering what to expect from the parks (crowds, weather, etc.). I've been to WDW a bunch, we used to go for three weeks and stay off-site at a condo, with probably seven park days in there. I haven't been since 2006, though.

I would love to stay at Boardwalk Inn since it seems close to the finish in EPCOT, and it's just a cool place from what I remember.

Weather is a complete crap shoot. The half marathon was high 50s at the start, then the next day got up to 70 something during the full marathon, but by noon was back down to the 50s. Crowds aren't bad, It's a slow time of the year but there are about 20-30k people there for the races, so it's a slightly more crowded weekend during a really low crowd time.

The race itself is kind of nuts, I ran the majority of both races in the grass because running on the roads is like being in a herd of cattle and people like to just stop and walk with no warning. That said, they're a blast and running through the parks is an amazing experience. Disney goes all out with the entire experience, the swag is great, the in-race support is the best I've ever seen (water/powerade every mile, first-aid every 2, snacks, etc).

Also, if you haven't been since 2006 there is a ton of great new stuff for you guys to enjoy. Definitely do it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

couldcareless posted:

I'm perfectly fine not seeing fireworks every day. And we usually couple an AK or HS day with a resort type dinner/trader sams/downtown Disney/boardwalk. If you're going for 10 days, I think the usefulness of a park hopper is pretty low. You're gonna have plenty of time to do everything more than once. And $65 times how ever many people you have going can add up to a good night at trader Sam's, so I'd take that trade any day.

To each their own. We're going for 13 days/12 nights next month and plan to use the park hoppers to the fullest. We generally spend every night at Magic Kingdom, even if it's just my wife and I walking around Frontierland or Fantasyland at night.

We didn't get AP's, so we're not seeing the parks the first day we come in (We won't get in until 9PM or so anyway), the last day we leave (early flight), and we're taking an off day in the middle of the trip since you can only buy 10 day tickets. I don't want to limit ourselves to only 1 park per day on our trip, and as expensive as this trip is going to be, the extra money wasn't even a thought.

That's why it's an option though. If there's one thing I've learned is people like to vacation differently. I like lots of options, flexibility and to move at my own pace.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I love Park Hopper.

Even though we originally planned our trip to hit one main park per day, it was really nice to be able to say "It's 2pm and Magic Kingdom is crowded as balls. Screw this, let's go to Animal Kingdom and ride Everest until we throw up."

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I love park hopper too but some folks don't think it's worth the extra cost, my husband included. I love the flexibility of being able to go to one park in the morning and another in the evening. My husband prefers to give Disney as little of our money as possible so we don't typically get them. It doesn't really detract from our vacations not to have them, but it would add a layer of flexibility we don't usually have.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Back when we visited we would do either a 4 day trip with no park hopper and carefully choose which park we did each day, or longer trips up to 9 days with park hoppers and do everything more freely as we felt like doing it. We liked hopping on longer trips because we'd go back to the resort for a nap and stuff, but on 4 day trips we could go non-stop without getting worn out. I would say they're both great ways to experience WDW, but shorter trips are better spent focusing on single park days as opposed to hopping around since that does take time.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just booked an actual vacation instead of a business trip for a change. Decided to indulge and book the family into Animal Kingdom Lodge with Savannah view. April can't come soon enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Braksgirl posted:

My husband prefers to give Disney as little of our money as possible

This sounds like there might be a story behind this.

tomapot posted:

Just booked an actual vacation instead of a business trip for a change. Decided to indulge and book the family into Animal Kingdom Lodge with Savannah view. April can't come soon enough!

That's awesome. It's on my bucket list of places to stay. With my kids being young I'm valuing proximity to the parks right now, when they're older though definitely want to stay at AKL in a Savannah view room