Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

When resuming play on Bluetooth with Google Music, does it start at the beginning of a song, or where you paused it? I usually use a different music player, but I'm seeing it start at the beginning of a song instead of where I paused it and that's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Daily Forecast posted:

Look at all these people, living in the 21st century, and not just using an aux cable like a neanderthal would.

Some of us still use 3.5mm headphone jack on the phone outputting to FM station thing. Car is from 1999 so yeah not like I got any other choice and I'm not putting anything new in there at this rate since I've had the car for 12-13 years.

edit: I tried out google play music once and it would forget the song position if you left it paused for an hour or two on my htc one m7. The basic music app, probably htc music, doesn't have this problem so I've just been using that.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2016

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I use Bluetooth and aux cable at once (this awesome device)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grumpwagon posted:

When resuming play on Bluetooth with Google Music, does it start at the beginning of a song, or where you paused it?

yes

(usually where I paused it)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I would say 85% of the time it was where it was paused. Other times it restarts the song.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

After saying forever that I didn't have an issue with Play Music playing randomly when connecting to Bluetooth, the bug finally hit me.

About 70% of the time when my phone connects to my car (it doesn't even need to be on the Bluetooth input) Play Music will start an alphabetical queue of every song in my library. I can clear the queue, clear the cache in the app, force close, restart the phone, it doesn't matter. New queue with every track, in ABC order, spontaneously.

Congrats, welcome to Hell with the rest of us.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ninmeister posted:

In both of my Fords (as I type this, yes it might be a Ford Sync problem I guess), it will randomly disconnect and refuse to reconnect until a reboot. This didnt happen with any other phones I've used with it.

Also, it will not connect to my Sena SMH10 Motorcycle communicator 90% of the time, yet my cheapo Moto E will connect perfectly, as did my previous Droid Turbo.
Sync3 / 6P does this occasionally for me as well. No solution, just frustrating.

I get really crappy reception on my BT earbuds too, but I think that is more "phone is made of metal, you idiot" than anything else. I liked plastic phones. :(

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My favorite Bluetooh+Android experience is every time I'm listening to Pocket Casts and then hop in the car. Upon ignition GPM starts playing over Ford Sync and I have to pause it before I restart the podcast. And if I dismiss GPM from the notification shade because it's no longer needed, the audio cuts out and starts playing over the phone instead. It's not until I start back up GPM and tell it to cast audio to Sync that I hear the podcast over the car's stereo. :wtc:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Karthe posted:

My favorite Bluetooh+Android experience is every time I'm listening to Pocket Casts and then hop in the car. Upon ignition GPM starts playing over Ford Sync and I have to pause it before I restart the podcast. And if I dismiss GPM from the notification shade because it's no longer needed, the audio cuts out and starts playing over the phone instead. It's not until I start back up GPM and tell it to cast audio to Sync that I hear the podcast over the car's stereo. :wtc:

This also happens to me in my Dodge, so it's definitely an Android thing.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Karthe posted:

Does the same thing to me on my N5X. I've found that if I turn BT off and turn it back on, it resets and everything works fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This also happens to me in my Dodge, so it's definitely an Android thing.

Happens on Subaru as well (at least with my WRX, the BRZ seems more tolerant of Android's eccentricity's.)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Grumpwagon posted:

When resuming play on Bluetooth with Google Music, does it start at the beginning of a song, or where you paused it? I usually use a different music player, but I'm seeing it start at the beginning of a song instead of where I paused it and that's annoying.

I mostly have had it start from the beginning. One of my many pet peeves about Play Music.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Make sure to buy the right USB A to C cables my friends

http://www.androidauthority.com/bad-usb-cable-671023/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bronin posted:

Reminder that this is because OnePlus made the first ones and were bad and everyone copied them without bothering to read the spec.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have a Dodge with uConnect and the easiest way to deal with Bluetooth is to disable any automatic play over Bluetooth options on your phone (such as the Motorola 'driving' assist). Because there's a big variation between when the car's Bluetooth is 'on' and when it can actually connect to devices.

Typically, after starting the car, I have to wait about 10-20 seconds before Bluetooth reliably connects to the phone to receive audio.

For instance, if I have Bluetooth audio playing when I leave my car, the car will default back to Radio audio when I start the car again (Unless the phone is magically in range in certain situations after a few minutes of Remote Start).

After I am in the car and start it, if I hit the button to change audio to USB/Bluetooth, it will first go to USB and if I hit it again to try to go to Bluetooth, it won't connect because it doesn't detect the paired device.

After about 10-20 seconds I can hit that button again and it will play music over Bluetooth.

So, other than having to manually start playing a song on my phone, it works fine that way.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Question for the thread: Does anyone else that uses the gmail app on their phone get repeat notifications for emails? Like I'll get the notification and see the summary and if I ignore it it'll just chime / vibrate again a few minutes later over and over again until I dismiss it.
It's starting to drive me mad as I can't find anything about it online and I swear it must be a change in a recent update to the gmail app. Also there's seemingly no way for me to stop this behavior from happening as far as I can tell.

Note: I'm using a Nexus 6 on MMB29S which should be the latest stock rom.

I don't know if this is because I'm running android wear or because I've been dirty flashing my phone but I'd like to at least know if it's something google has added for some dumb reason and not just affecting me.

Edit like for example: it chimed at 10:22 for a new email and then it chimed again at 10:30. At once I had feel the wear installed and I was seeing in the logs that it was seeing the same notifications pop up at random intervals like 2 minutes to 5 minutes up to 15 minutes. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

w00tazn posted:

Question for the thread: Does anyone else that uses the gmail app on their phone get repeat notifications for emails? Like I'll get the notification and see the summary and if I ignore it it'll just chime / vibrate again a few minutes later over and over again until I dismiss it.
It's starting to drive me mad as I can't find anything about it online and I swear it must be a change in a recent update to the gmail app. Also there's seemingly no way for me to stop this behavior from happening as far as I can tell.

Note: I'm using a Nexus 6 on MMB29S which should be the latest stock rom.

I don't know if this is because I'm running android wear or because I've been dirty flashing my phone but I'd like to at least know if it's something google has added for some dumb reason and not just affecting me.

Edit like for example: it chimed at 10:22 for a new email and then it chimed again at 10:30. At once I had feel the wear installed and I was seeing in the logs that it was seeing the same notifications pop up at random intervals like 2 minutes to 5 minutes up to 15 minutes. :(

Are you talking about GMail or Exchange mail?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The Gmail thing happens to me as well. It's an Exchange work account and I sometimes get multiple notifications for the same mail. Also, I sometimes get notifications and it's pulling in mails even though it's set to "refresh manually".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Everything I can find about this says it's either an OEM change (HTCs and Samsungs apparently have a setting in Accessibility that you can disable but it's not on my Nexus) or an Exchange issue. Some reported success with resetting up the Exchange account in question but it seems to be a problem without a resolution that I can find.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Is there any way in Android to have a phone number saved in my contacts (so that I know it's that person when/if they call) but also have it "blocked"? Long story short I have a psycho ex and his 3 different numbers (and his family members) stored in my phone so that if any of them call I know not to pick up. But I am also worried about accidentally texting them or accidentally calling them while scrolling through my contacts or something.

I don't know if what I am saying makes sense. Basically I want these numbers saved in my phone, but I don't want them having even a 0.1% chance of showing up as I choose text contacts or whatever.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Melmac posted:

Is there any way in Android to have a phone number saved in my contacts (so that I know it's that person when/if they call) but also have it "blocked"? Long story short I have a psycho ex and his 3 different numbers (and his family members) stored in my phone so that if any of them call I know not to pick up. But I am also worried about accidentally texting them or accidentally calling them while scrolling through my contacts or something.

I don't know if what I am saying makes sense. Basically I want these numbers saved in my phone, but I don't want them having even a 0.1% chance of showing up as I choose text contacts or whatever.

why not just change the name so it always at the end of the list. zzz(Name) or whatever. i think you're overthinking this

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Are you talking about GMail or Exchange mail?

Mine seems to happen for both my personal gmail inbox and my exchange mail :(

n.. posted:

why not just change the name so it always at the end of the list. zzz(Name) or whatever. i think you're overthinking this

I just have a contact named "Blocked List" with a billion different saved numbers on it that goes straight to Voice Mail

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

n.. posted:

Because that doesn't make me accidentally hitting that contact any less likely; same with accidentally hitting it when texting someone named Zach, for instance.

I'm not over thinking it. I've texted and called people accidentally several times.

w00tazn posted:

Mine seems to happen for both my personal gmail inbox and my exchange mail :(

I just have a contact named "Blocked List" with a billion different saved numbers on it that goes straight to Voice Mail

This is a pretty good idea (though I assume their names will still come up when the phone is looking for contacts to send a text to). How do I do this on Android? Or is this a feature of Google Voice or something?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Well the name would come up as "Block List" and not "Zach" if you used my method.

In the stock Google Contacts app, you can go to edit contact and click the extras menu and there's a checkbox for "all calls to voicemail"

There's nothing that would actually prevent you from texting or calling "block list" though.

I think you could also give the phone number a custom designation besides "home or mobile" so it could be the person you're blocking's name and you'd maybe see that in the caller id.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 3, 2016

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Melmac posted:

Because that doesn't make me accidentally hitting that contact any less likely; same with accidentally hitting it when texting someone named Zach, for instance.

I'm not over thinking it. I've texted and called people accidentally several times.

This is a pretty good idea (though I assume their names will still come up when the phone is looking for contacts to send a text to). How do I do this on Android? Or is this a feature of Google Voice or something?
Make a contact called BLOCKED ALSO DON'T TEXT THIS NUMBER or whatever. Then edit that contact, add all the numbers of your crazy ex, press the ... menu and tick the "all calls to voicemail" box.

Or alternately use Truecaller

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Most carriers will block numbers for you if you tell them to. Just do that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't know if people know, but the Google Wallet Card works with Android Pay. I don't think it's grandfathered in, I just think it's supported.

Just used it to pay for printer ink at Best Buy.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bronin posted:

goodnight sweet(pixel)prince

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I had a weird thing happen to my Motorola X Pure camera, and I can't figure out how to undo it. A few days ago, I was fumbling with the phone to take a photo of a serial number sticker on a PC, and ever since then, I've had the Control Focus and Exposure on the screen and I can't get it to go away. The camera dial used to have an icon with a finger pointing to a focus box, but I no longer have it.

I rolled the camera back to stock, and reinstalled the update, but the camera didn't fix itself. On my wife's Moto X Pure, she has the icon on her dial and does not have the Tap to Focus, so whatever happened to my camera was not the result of an update.

Has anyone had a problem like this? Can you drag features out of the dial somehow? I can't seem to replicate this with any other feature on the camera...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 3, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

berzerkmonkey posted:

I had a weird thing happen to my Motorola X Pure camera, and I can't figure out how to undo it. A few days ago, I was fumbling with the phone to take a photo of a serial number sticker on a PC, and ever since then, I've had the Control Focus and Exposure on the screen and I can't get it to go away. The camera dial used to have an icon with a finger pointing to a focus box, but I no longer have it.

I rolled the camera back to stock, and reinstalled the update, but the camera didn't fix itself. On my wife's Moto X Pure, she has the icon on her dial and does not have the Tap to Focus, so whatever happened to my camera was not the result of an update.

Has anyone had a problem like this? Can you drag features out of the dial somehow? I can't seem to replicate this with any other feature on the camera...

I pulled out my phone to take a look, and discovered that you can spin the options wheel to show more buttons by dragging up/down on the screen. :aaaaa:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

grack posted:

Woke up this morning to find that my LG G4 installed Marshmallow while I was sleeping. Didn't even have to wipe which is nice.

But gently caress Canadian carriers for delaying it this long.

Given that 1.2% of phones are currently running Marshmallow, are they really delaying it or does Google just need to start pushing it to phones.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sbaldrick posted:

Given that 1.2% of phones are currently running Marshmallow, are they really delaying it or does Google just need to start pushing it to phones.

Google only pushes updates to Nexus phones. The rest get updates from the manufacturer and/or carrier.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

I was responding more to his statement that in general tech bugs aren't so bad:

Yes, even without that the power adapter on my MagSafe MBA is the best and most reliable I've had on any laptop but it's irritating that for want of a little bit more rubber I wouldn't be on my third one.

Which generation of MBA do you have? My circa 2007 white macbook came with a noticeably stronger magsafe cable than the one on my 2013 rMBP. It was so noticeable that from the day I got it I've gone out of my way to be even more careful with it.

I think they just cheaped out a little bit on magsafe 2.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

sbaldrick posted:

I have a carrier branded G4 - the update was handled by my carrier and LG.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

isndl posted:

I pulled out my phone to take a look, and discovered that you can spin the options wheel to show more buttons by dragging up/down on the screen. :aaaaa:

Yeah, I knew that. Unfortunately, that doesn't help me, as I've spun that wheel from one end to the other without seeing the missing icon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Which generation of MBA do you have? My circa 2007 white macbook came with a noticeably stronger magsafe cable than the one on my 2013 rMBP. It was so noticeable that from the day I got it I've gone out of my way to be even more careful with it.

I think they just cheaped out a little bit on magsafe 2.

It's MagSafe on my 2011. You're right though, MagSafe 2 has a way weaker magnet.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Thanks all for the replies. I just wanna give an endorsement for TrapCall. The drat thing actually does unblock the numbers of people who call from blocked numbers! I thought it was horseshit until I figured out how they do it (redirects the caller to their 800 number which gets the info because *67 does not work on 800 numbers, then it forwards the call back to you with all the info). Yeah it's expensive as hell but it is the only thing that actually works. It's awesome.

Syrinxx posted:

Make a contact called BLOCKED ALSO DON'T TEXT THIS NUMBER or whatever. Then edit that contact, add all the numbers of your crazy ex, press the ... menu and tick the "all calls to voicemail" box.

Or alternately use Truecaller

Thank you, I will try this. I am currently using WhitePages Caller ID. Is Truecaller better in your opinion? It seems like I have to setup a call forwarding thing for it and I don't want it messing up my TrapCall.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

nimper posted:

Google only pushes updates to Nexus phones. The rest get updates from the manufacturer and/or carrier.

What I meant is Google needs to talk over pushing it to phones and cut out the manufactures and carriers

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

What I meant is Google needs to talk over pushing it to phones and cut out the manufactures and carriers

Which is unpossible because a) Google don't make the hardware, so they don't have the right drivers for it and b) the manufacturers like to customise the OS so they can stand out. This sort of thing only works if you're Apple and control the whole shebang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Melmac posted:

Thank you, I will try this. I am currently using WhitePages Caller ID. Is Truecaller better in your opinion? It seems like I have to setup a call forwarding thing for it and I don't want it messing up my TrapCall.
In my opinion Whitepages Caller ID is the better app. It just works better.