Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TinTower posted:

This is despite the fact that any extradition to the US while he's in Swedish custody would require a trilateral agreement.

one imagines that the legalities of such an extradition would not likely phase any of the authorities involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He died fairly suddenly at the age of 25
Ugh, that sucks. Poor guy :(

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean, the man's a massive prick, but i think his paranoia at getting thrown into some american black site is almost entirely understandable

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean, the man's a massive prick, but i think his paranoia at getting thrown into some american black site is almost entirely understandable

Assange has actually made such a name for himself that if he mysteriously disappeared, everybody would instantly figure out what happened. He's bizarrely safer than many of his whistleblowers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

Inert gas asphyxiation is the way forward for everything imho
Including humanity. We should work to reverse the Oxygen Catastrophe. :black101:

On the downside, it would mean that Assange never gets his day in court. On the plus side, it would have a positive effect on future rates sexual assault.

On a serious note it'd seem like a fairly good way for state assisted suicide, as these things go. Until then there's always Max Dog Brewing.

I think they showed that argon has less of an adverse reaction than nitrogen in birds. Sometimes nitrogen or carbon dioxide are used. Humans have no low oxygen reflex, but a high carbon dioxide reflex, so 'anything inert that isn't CO2 works', but that varies between species.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TinTower posted:

Assange has actually made such a name for himself that if he mysteriously disappeared, everybody would instantly figure out what happened. He's bizarrely safer than many of his whistleblowers.

litvinenko, too, was pretty famous when he was assassinated. it's not a shield i'd be comfortable with relying on, and i'm nowhere near as egotistical as assange evidently is

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

yeah, but would anyone actually do anything even if he did disappear? I mean Russia assassinated a man with radioactive poison in the middle of London and everyone knows who ordered it but jack poo poo is gonna happen because of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You philistine.

Seriously though, what did you expect it to be?
Scottish folk music.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

litvinenko, too, was pretty famous when he was assassinated. it's not a shield i'd be comfortable with relying on, and i'm nowhere near as egotistical as assange evidently is

Russia doesn't have a flaky reputation to attempt to uphold with its allies.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You philistine.

Seriously though, what did you expect it to be?

I don't know a lot of Russian music beyond Stravinsky and Mussorgsky, so I was misled into believing I'd be hearing an orchestral work. My friend, who is a big Rimsky buff, forgot to check exactly which piece would be performed and was also displeased at sitting through an hour and a half of chorals.

Especially because Black Label Society were playing that night as well and we missed it. St Isaac's was nice though, even though the old woman behind me would NOT stop rummaging around in her plastic bag for food.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Coohoolin posted:

I don't know a lot of Russian music beyond Stravinsky and Mussorgsky, so I was misled into believing I'd be hearing an orchestral work. My friend, who is a big Rimsky buff, forgot to check exactly which piece would be performed and was also displeased at sitting through an hour and a half of chorals.

Especially because Black Label Society were playing that night as well and we missed it. St Isaac's was nice though, even though the old woman behind me would NOT stop rummaging around in her plastic bag for food.

B.b.b.but choral music is awesome! Is having an instrument essential to your enjoyment?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Did she offer you any?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

How did you come up with this from my post?

Either the person is guilty of the crime, or they are a victim of libel. To assume innocent until proven guilty means the accuser is guilty of libel until proven innocent.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Prince John posted:

B.b.b.but choral music is awesome! Is having an instrument essential to your enjoyment?

Not essential, but an hour and a half is way over my tolerance threshold. Especially because the Vespers aren't the most exciting choral pieces.

Guavanaut posted:

Did she offer you any?

No but she left a banana peel in the bag under her seat when she left. Russians are weird.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Either the person is guilty of the crime, or they are a victim of libel. To assume innocent until proven guilty means the accuser is guilty of libel until proven innocent.
Innocent until proven guilty applies to the accuser as well as the accused.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

don't be ridiculous

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

lol I am not sure that's strictly how it works.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Of course that's not how it works but if he's going to leap to a rapist's defence I'm going to be difficult with him.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

So people are guilty unless they can conclusively prove they didn't commit the crime?

Tesseraction posted:

Of course that's not how it works but if he's going to leap to a rapist's defence I'm going to be difficult with him.

Watch me leap to a rapists defence by upholding part of the declaration of human rights! gently caress off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Why bother to choose, under UK libel law it can be both!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TinTower posted:

Russia doesn't have a flaky reputation to attempt to uphold with its allies.

putting the (in my opinion rather dubious) merits of this argument aside, do you really not see how a man like assange might be reasonably terrified of something like this playing out, as separate from the rape charges? relying on american respect for international law as a figure heavily involved in exposing the absence of such respect seems like a tough sell

which is not to say he shouldn't absolutely be going through the legal process in sweden up to and including any legal detainment, of course, simply that his stated reasoning is probably sincerely held, and that this is eminently understandable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

nobody is really defending him i think you should calm down

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
But in this case there's no he said she said, they both (all) agree on what happened just not about whether the events constitute a crime?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doesn't libel specifically require your reputation to have been defamed in such a way that it actually affects your livelihood?

Which I guess applies to Assange, but not to every single person that has been accused of a crime.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Not your livelihood: your reputation.

I imagine how it has affected your livelihood would be taken into account when and if damages are awarded.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

nobody is really defending him i think you should calm down

Mmmm, and yet him wringing his hands and going "BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY" after all the things people have posted strikes me as a little disingenuous, hence my disingenuous retort about libel.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Has there been any undertaking regarding extradition by either the Swedes or the Americans?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Not your livelihood: your reputation.

I imagine how it has affected your livelihood would be taken into account when and if damages are awarded.

That is correct.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In extremely tangentially related news, any of you who'd planned on getting to rough up some turbosexists this Saturday will have to find something else to do, because that mass MRA meet has been cancelled.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

putting the (in my opinion rather dubious) merits of this argument aside, do you really not see how a man like assange might be reasonably terrified of something like this playing out, as separate from the rape charges? relying on american respect for international law as a figure heavily involved in exposing the absence of such respect seems like a tough sell

which is not to say he shouldn't absolutely be going through the legal process in sweden up to and including any legal detainment, of course, simply that his stated reasoning is probably sincerely held, and that this is eminently understandable

If America offs him, he dies a martyr. If he stays in Knightsbridge, he dies a rapist.

Knowing Assange is a classical narcissist, one must wonder why he's going with the latter option.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

In extremely tangentially related news, any of you who'd planned on getting to rough up some turbosexists this Saturday will have to find something else to do, because that mass MRA meet has been cancelled.

DoucheV's bravery is legendary. :laugh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't want to die of having his nuts slowly screwed off by an angry army man in gitmo?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

it did get him international recognition though so mission accomplished

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TinTower posted:

If America offs him, he dies a martyr. If he stays in Knightsbridge, he dies a rapist.

Knowing Assange is a classical narcissist, one must wonder why he's going with the latter option.

one imagines that "not wanting to die" plays a part

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

it did get him international recognition though so mission accomplished
Yeah, none of his stunts have been about achieving anything but his own fame, site traffic, and book sales. He doesn't care about anything else, not even 'men's rights'.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Mmmm, and yet him wringing his hands and going "BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY" after all the things people have posted strikes me as a little disingenuous, hence my disingenuous retort about libel.

Might want to check the timestamp on DesperateDan's post that actually explained what happened and see that he posted while I was typing out mine before you start acting like a prick.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

Might want to check the timestamp on DesperateDan's post that actually explained what happened and see that he posted while I was typing out mine before you start acting like a prick.

Nah.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

one imagines that "not wanting to die" plays a part

He's going to end up dying sooner rather than later cooped up in the embassy; he's incredibly ill these days.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Phoon posted:

Who's counter protesting pegida this weekend?

Hello! Which counter-protest are you attending (UAF or Midlands Antifash)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But not as painfully as the US would kill him.

• Locked thread