Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Just watched this weeks episode and it was great, definitely felt like a Darin episode and everyone was on point. I'm glad the season is on an upward swing 'cause I thought the first episode was pretty lifeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

They should go the movie franchise route so we can have two hour Darin Morgan adventures.

I'm all for more movies, but not written by Darin Morgan. I know that sounds like sacrilege, and I love the guy's episodes, but 42 minutes is exactly how long he needs to tell a good story. I can't imagine stretching his writing style to feature length. It's quality over quantity. X-Files movies should be...well, what Fight the Future was. A big-budget version of the mytharc stuff where you can indulge the dumber aspects and give the audience a ride. Leave the more intimate side of the show on the television screen.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, aside from Carter episodes, if we're staying on the quality uptick they might have hit creative alchemy with this miniseries format.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, aside from Carter episodes, if we're staying on the quality uptick they might have hit creative alchemy with this miniseries format.

If you exclude Carter's episodes this season is three episodes long.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh goddammit I didn't realize he penned the last 2.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Oh goddammit I didn't realize he penned the last 2.

But as someone else pointed out, Carter is capable of good writing. The Duane Barry episodes are among my favourites.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm all for more movies, but not written by Darin Morgan. I know that sounds like sacrilege, and I love the guy's episodes, but 42 minutes is exactly how long he needs to tell a good story. I can't imagine stretching his writing style to feature length. It's quality over quantity.

I'm not for more movies. I feel that what you are saying is true for the show in general. I'd be happy with half a dozen MotW episodes per year from now until infinity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

JetsGuy posted:

Skinner vs X is my favorite.

I like X as a character, but I never quite understood his deal. He was apparently Deep Throat's successor and had ties to the Syndicate, but he often seemed like he hurt more than he helped. While Deep Throat would show Mulder what he needed to see, X was just kind of an unhelpful dick and got in the way a lot of the time. Was his purpose mostly to waste Mulder's time? He led Mulder to Marita, but only in his dying minutes.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

sticklefifer posted:

I like X as a character, but I never quite understood his deal. He was apparently Deep Throat's successor and had ties to the Syndicate, but he often seemed like he hurt more than he helped. While Deep Throat would show Mulder what he needed to see, X was just kind of an unhelpful dick and got in the way a lot of the time. Was his purpose mostly to waste Mulder's time? He led Mulder to Marita, but only in his dying minutes.

His deal was supposed to be that he was unwilling to endanger himself and his own position to help Mulder, so that required doing stuff for the Syndicate at times. I didn't feel like it was ever properly articulated why he wanted to help Mulder at all, though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm pretty sure if you hated that episode you just hate fun. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
X seemed to help Mulder only out of obligation to Deep Throat. I don't think X ever thought Mulder was capable of doing what needed to be done, so he never gave Mulder the full measure of help he could have. Plus X seemed way more concerned with his own self-preservation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

evenworse username posted:

His deal was supposed to be that he was unwilling to endanger himself and his own position to help Mulder, so that required doing stuff for the Syndicate at times. I didn't feel like it was ever properly articulated why he wanted to help Mulder at all, though.

Wasn't Marita also working for the Syndicate the entire time?

I also remember that she was originally the aide to the Special Representative to the Secretary General but then later episodes forgot that and had her be the SRSG herself.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Chairman Capone posted:

I also remember that she was originally the aide to the Special Representative to the Secretary General but then later episodes forgot that and had her be the SRSG herself.

I think so? I remember there was at least one episode where she's revealed to be taking orders from the hoarse-voiced dude to 'tell Mulder what he wants to hear'.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Octy posted:

But as someone else pointed out, Carter is capable of good writing. The Duane Barry episodes are among my favourites.

Carter was capable of it. His mythology episodes really got out of hand after season 4. I can think of maybe two Carter-penned episodes after 4th season that were pretty good - Postmodern Prometheus and How the Ghosts Stole Christmas.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Soulwrangler posted:

I liked the episode a lot but my favorite part was this:

oh gently caress

That was pinging something deep in my brain, and there it is.

So good.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Sorry if this was already pointed out or is blindingly obvious, but some people might want to take another look at the title of the episode: "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster."

Etymologically, the "were-" in constructions like "werewolf" comes from an Old English word which literally means "man." (Thus, "werewolf" quite simply just means "man-wolf.")

So the title of this episode is, literally translated, "Mulder and Scully Meet the Man-Monster."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darin Morgan, you awesome mother fucker.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Soulwrangler posted:

I liked the episode a lot but my favorite part was this:

The 6 year old boy in me was crying from happiness and couldn't articulate why to anyone in the room.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ravane posted:

Omg, this is young old Alec Sadler from Continuum.

Brilliant casting as well - he and Young Alec really do look similar.

So far, this season has been everything I wanted from a return of the X-Files. The first episode was understandably slow, as they had to essentially give an elevator pitch of the show to new viewers and people who haven't seen an episode for 20 years. The second episode was both a bit disturbing (the way he slides that latter opener into his ear, so slowly and methodically...) And the latest episode was absolutely wonderful. I always loved that fact that the X-Files was a show that could occasionally make fun of itself, and this episode just reinforced that in my mind. I laughed the entire way through (though the psychologist scene was a bit strained.) Even Gillian Anderson seemed more relaxed this episode - in the previous two, she seemed really wooden and acted like her jaw had been wired shut most of the time. My wife, who tends to spend entire shows buried in Facebook ("Wait, what happened? I missed it.") closed the laptop after a few minutes and was engrossed the entire time. Honestly, with the previous episodes, and the preview of next week's ep, I have to say they are hitting it out of the park - it looks like they are going to have individual episodes devoted to each of the things that made the show great - Conspiracy, unethical science, comedy, supernatural horror, etc.

A++, would watch again.

EDIT: Oh and one thing which I noticed (that's more than likely coincidence) is the fact that Mulder and Scully were dealing with a lizardman in Oregon. The band Clutch has a song called "Oregon" which is about a lizardman (specifically a "dragonman") fleeing west to Oregon, because things weren't weird enough out east. I'm pretty sure the Oregon plates were used to justify the Vancouver location, but my inner Mulder thinks the reference was intentional.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 4, 2016

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i appreciated the meditation on the terror of human existence in this funny episode of the xfiles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i appreciated the meditation on the terror of human existence in this funny episode of the xfiles.

I sympathies with Guy Mann w/r/t my own alarm clocks and also at the idea of alarm clocks in general.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
There are so many work-related gifs I want from that episode. I hope some start turning up soon.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

COOL CORN posted:

There are so many work-related gifs I want from that episode. I hope some start turning up soon.

via tumblr, so the quality blows.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

zoux posted:

I sympathies with Guy Mann w/r/t my own alarm clocks and also at the idea of alarm clocks in general.

https://youtu.be/-jlngD3OIXc?t=52s

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like the fan theory that Deep Throat and X were a couple, and that's why he so reluctantly came to Mulder but helped in such a limited way anyway.

Chairman Capone posted:

Yes and no. Marita was something like a quadruple agent working 'for' everyone but had her own self-interests. There's a two-parter in season 5 that has her manipulating Mulder, Krycek, and the Syndicate in order to have a bargaining chip, but betrays all of them and it backfires on her.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 5, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

sticklefifer posted:

I like the fan theory that Deep Throat and X were a couple, and that's why he so reluctantly came to Mulder but helped in such a limited way anyway.

Where are fans getting this from? X and Deep Throat are pretty clearly colleagues or mentor/mentee. X just doesn't place as much faith in Mulder as DT did.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I don't care if every other episode of this season sucks horribly, this episode was so good that it was all worth it if just for this.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

There's a fan theory that hypothesizes a homosexual coupling between two characters despite nothing in the show itself ever remotely suggesting anything of the sort? How surprising.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Where are fans getting this from? X and Deep Throat are pretty clearly colleagues or mentor/mentee. X just doesn't place as much faith in Mulder as DT did.

The idea that loyalty so fierce so as to endanger your career and life many times by leaking sensitive information against your better judgement could be more than professional isn't really a novel concept. I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea, but it's fun to watch X's scenes with that in mind.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

sticklefifer posted:

The idea that loyalty so fierce so as to endanger your career and life many times by leaking sensitive information against your better judgement could be more than professional isn't really a novel concept. I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea, but it's fun to watch X's scenes with that in mind.

But there's nothing in the show to lend evidence to that theory. Why isn't "not wanting a secret cabal of sinister alien collaborators to continue unethical experiments and child abductions for a project that will result in slavery or death for the entire human race" motivation enough for that character? I don't understand fandom sometimes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like that in the dumb horrible video game you saved at places with X's little X taped on a door or window or whatever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They killed off X way too soon. They could have done so much more with him. And what's even worse is they replaced him with Marita Covarubius who was a poo poo character and mediocre actress. Steven Williams was so good.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

You know I'm watching Theef and I think I just really hate episodes with a subject that is just straight up evil, aside from the syndicate and mytharc where their intentions are ambiguous and shrouded in mystery.

Like this guy's daughter is involved in an accident that leaves her with a very small chance of surviving -- also he's Appalachian so if this was anywhere near his home she would have been dead anyway -- so he decides to kill the father of the doctor who treated her, his wife, kills this woman who was renting him a room, blinds an agent protecting a person who someone is trying to kill, and attempts to kill the doctor himself. I hate watching 40 minutes of someone who is straight up a terrible person doing terrible things and getting away with it because of the supernatural.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
My wife was talking about a co-worker of hers mentioning that they need to go back and watch the original series episodes so they can talk about them after the mini-series is over. They don't want to watch from the beginning, so I know there is a definitive list of must watch episodes out there. Where can I find that list? I don't want to cut all the mytharc or all the MOTW episodes, I just want to cut it down to the eps that they will really be able to discuss.

Personally? I'm cool with rewatching the entire series, episode by episode, cause that's how I roll. :clint:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ginette Reno posted:

They killed off X way too soon. They could have done so much more with him. And what's even worse is they replaced him with Marita Covarubius who was a poo poo character and mediocre actress. Steven Williams was so good.

They should have at least let people stew over what SRSG meant for a few months before revealing what it menat. Setting that up then spoiling it immediately afterwards was such a wet fart of an ending to that storyline.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

My wife was talking about a co-worker of hers mentioning that they need to go back and watch the original series episodes so they can talk about them after the mini-series is over. They don't want to watch from the beginning, so I know there is a definitive list of must watch episodes out there. Where can I find that list? I don't want to cut all the mytharc or all the MOTW episodes, I just want to cut it down to the eps that they will really be able to discuss.

Personally? I'm cool with rewatching the entire series, episode by episode, cause that's how I roll. :clint:

The mytharc is kinda all or nothing, I've done rewatches where I only watched mytharc episodes, or only MotW, but it would be tough to figure out which mytharc episodes to cut out.

Best bet is probably every mytharc episode, which isn't as many as you might think, then pick the best two or three MotW episodes from each season. There's a thousand "Best MotW Xfiles episodes" lists out there to reference.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

piratepilates posted:

You know I'm watching Theef and I think I just really hate episodes with a subject that is just straight up evil, aside from the syndicate and mytharc where their intentions are ambiguous and shrouded in mystery.

Like this guy's daughter is involved in an accident that leaves her with a very small chance of surviving -- also he's Appalachian so if this was anywhere near his home she would have been dead anyway -- so he decides to kill the father of the doctor who treated her, his wife, kills this woman who was renting him a room, blinds an agent protecting a person who someone is trying to kill, and attempts to kill the doctor himself. I hate watching 40 minutes of someone who is straight up a terrible person doing terrible things and getting away with it because of the supernatural.

He can probably make you a poultice for that

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But there's nothing in the show to lend evidence to that theory. Why isn't "not wanting a secret cabal of sinister alien collaborators to continue unethical experiments and child abductions for a project that will result in slavery or death for the entire human race" motivation enough for that character? I don't understand fandom sometimes.

To be fair this was before every single fandom in the world shipped literally every single possible pair of characters together. This wasn't a "fandoms lol" thing. We're talking about a small group of people on old school mid 90s internet Fox forums who literally invented "shipping" specifically for the two main characters, so you can't really compare it to today's fandom standards. I don't even think fandom was a word back then, or at least not commonly in use. People came up with unsupported theories all the time in the early days of the show. I didn't say I believed it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

sticklefifer posted:

To be fair this was before every single fandom in the world shipped literally every single possible pair of characters together. This wasn't a "fandoms lol" thing. We're talking about a small group of people on old school mid 90s internet Fox forums who literally invented "shipping" specifically for the two main characters, so you can't really compare it to today's fandom standards. I don't even think fandom was a word back then, or at least not commonly in use. People came up with unsupported theories all the time in the early days of the show. I didn't say I believed it.

What about Star Trek? Shipping and fandom was definitely a thing back then and before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Kirk and Spock "slash" fanfic was around long before the X-Files.

Edit: God dammit.

• Locked thread