Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

or just turn off all updates and go commando 😎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Last Chance posted:

:rip:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

The computer is running any of the following systems, which are excluded from this reservation offer:

Windows Embedded POSReady 7

they have a special extra POS version of a POS OS

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Last Chance posted:

this is the inevitable result when they move 3035583 and the other one from Recommended to Important and I can't wait

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

pseudorandom name posted:

this is the inevitable result when they move 3035583 and the other one from Recommended to Important and I can't wait

It's going to be XP all over again.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
idiots not letting go of an out of date OS because microshaft is out to get them?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dodoman posted:

idiots not letting go of an out of date OS because microshaft is out to get them?

worked for me my main man

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Dodoman posted:

Or windows 7 is guaranteed not to work, new PCs will disable this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theultimo posted:

Or windows 7 is guaranteed not to work, new PCs will disable this

what that article actually said was that hardware was only guaranteed to work on newer versions of windows

basically microsoft telling oems that they'll take the hit if people at bitch at them for not supporting their 10 year old hardware

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
c w10 s: the wifi drivers simply disappeared. did a fresh reinstall, now there are no network drivers at all. ms support asks me to check update center for updates.

thanks, microsoft

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I just had the misfortune to find out a Text field in Access is limited to 255 characters.

If you want more you the column has to be Memo.

Also that there is no easy way to edit a saved import/export task.

jfc just include SQL Express with Office and take Access out back and shoot it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
access lets people build forms for data entry so that's why it still exists. you also cant easily find and email the sql db + logs like you can an access db

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho... I wonder if u could use sql embedded in office and store the db in the access file instead of using whatever access currently uses.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I just had the misfortune to find out a Text field in Access is limited to 255 characters.

A date field in Excel cannot be before 1/1/1970 as it uses the epoch date, which I guess kind of makes some sense but I'm not sure what someone making a list of historical dates would do. Which can't be that uncommon.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what? I don't think that's right.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the win32 epoch is 1/1/1601

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sorry, confusing 2 epochs.

if you go to excel and type 1 into a cell then convert it to a date, it'll bring back 01/01/1900. not ever going to be a pain for me because i'm a forward thinking kind of dude, but some people are stuck in the past.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

access lets people build forms for data entry so that's why it still exists. you also cant easily find and email the sql db + logs like you can an access db

lol at this whole post

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh. well implicit conversions are always a mess. 01/01/1900 is probably the default for a new date object

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lol at this whole post

?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

altho... I wonder if u could use sql embedded in office and store the db in the access file instead of using whatever access currently uses.

You can link to an SQL database yes. Our office uses a form control through access to query a main database

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I mean using actual sql embedded (which is like sqllite) and storing it in the adb file or w/e.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

theultimo posted:

You can link to an SQL database yes. Our office uses a form control through access to query a main database

i did this once for an r&d solution. it was needs suiting enough :shrug:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Shaggar posted:

oh. well implicit conversions are always a mess. 01/01/1900 is probably the default for a new date object

This isn't really implicit conversion, Excel "dates" are just "number of days since midnight on 31 December 1899" expressed as a floating point number. The only difference between a number and a date is the formatting on the cell.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ah. that makes even more sense

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

PleasureKevin posted:

drat how does Windows 10 handle laptops with external displays that get connected and disconnected

btw i figured out what the problem was last night: i couldn't get control of the mouse until it popped in from the left edge of the screen, and i immediately knew that meant the mouse was trapped on another "display". sure enough, i opened the display settings and windows sees two displays, my TV being the second.

again, this reoccurred after a clean install of Windows, and only actually triggered after an update the required a reboot. i can't be the only person who hit this.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've never understood how windows has always been so bad at multiple monitors, pretty sure even most linuxes can handle "there's a second monitor but it's only on sometimes" better nowadays

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i hooked up a laptop running opensuse with gnome 3 to a tv to do a presentation and it worked great

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my uncle got a surface pro and just asked me to help him set it up

what do i need to know

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

what do i need to know

Run

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Necc0 posted:

what do i need to know

the return policy

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/695298411533193217

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
"The great security reset" :laugh:

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

:)

Phoenixan posted:

worked great

:)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if you don't want to gently caress around with building a gaming system then buy a low end precision mini tower and slap your own video card in it you idiot

the whole point was the size. I don't mind building a PC at all, I've torn this one apart a few times and upgraded the powerboard and video card.

also I built a PC of the same specs on new egg and it came to 800. I'm sure the extreme couponers amongst you could get that down. so it's at most 200 for the case. which also includes LEDs and one of those mini SSD connectors. and built in wifi. to me it's worth it for the size.

also I got mine used for $300 fools, but even new I think it's good.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Necc0 posted:

what do i need to know

it was the inspiration for the ipad pro because tim was frightened by some advertising

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

the terrifying reality of executives breakdancing in a boardroom while holding non-apple hardware. im pissing myself at the very thought

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i have my laptop plugged into a monitor and it has never experienced any issues.

:gitgud: monitors or TVs maybe?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

maybe it is in the SDK, i don't know, but every game is different and controls it's own scaling.

the most extreme scaling tech i know of is in Halo 5, which can scale both horizontal and vertical resolutions on the fly, down to ~800p vertically

yeah halo 5 goes real hard with it but most xbox releases now are using dynamic scaling to cope with the lack of power

halo 5 also dynamically scales down the frame rate on animations so far away enemies stutter around at 10 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
am i to understand that there are people in this very thread over the age of 25 that are still building pcs instead of just going out and buying what they need like a loving adult making 6 figgies?

• Locked thread