Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Robhol posted:

Nope, doesn't work. Changing store region doesn't work because it just says my region is detected as the UK.

Then your VPN isn't on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Well maybe they should let the boat people in

they let them into concentration camps

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Decryption should be done in 5 minutes. God bless the SSDs.

15 minutes on my lovely little Macbook Air, SSDs are the best loving thing.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Then your VPN isn't on.

It is because checking the store page in a browser makes all the prices show up in yen.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Robhol posted:

Nope, doesn't work. Changing store region doesn't work because it just says my region is detected as the UK.

exit steam, restart your VPN, and check a whois site to see that you are loaded properly. Once it shows the correct spot, reload steam.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Robhol posted:

So when you do google searches you get japanese characters, right? And the steam store page doesn't have a countdown timer?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I'm on an SSD but still taking a half hour to decrypt :/

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Hey folks. Is this is a game I can use a PC Controller for? Due to having a newborn I don't have a lot of time sitting in front of my computer. I do, however, have ample time in my rocking recliner to play something on tv. Will this game work ok with an Xbox One wireless adapter for the computer? I've never used a PC controller before but have an xbox one wasting away with nothing to play so I may as well get some use out of the controller. I'm really wanting to play this, I just know if its not on my tv i'm not going to have much time. Thanks.

I used something called 'Game Profiler' or something like that a few years ago. it basically dupes a controller by assigning user-defined keyboard and mouse functions to a controller's buttons and joystick. It worked well enough for games like mass effect and such, though it doesn't have the same range of movement and ability to distinguish between how hard you push as a joystick would when the game has native controller support.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So when you do google searches you get japanese characters, right? And the steam store page doesn't have a countdown timer?

Correct.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does the game support :smug: posting if you unpack the game before other people?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

cheesetriangles posted:

Does the game support :smug: posting if you unpack the game before other people?

Why would you post when you could play?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can I start the game and then do character pool poo poo for my file? want to start but also want to come back to the editor and make more guys and gals.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The Kins posted:

My favourite part of the thread so far is Americans being culturally unable to cope with the sheer horrifying concept of not being able to play a videogame before a country that historically has to wait six months extra to pay fifty bucks more.

I'm pretty sure it's less inability to cope more, why not play this game now? For fifty bucks less because we're after all God's Country.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Reposting again: is GMG the best place to buy this still? Thanks.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

MinibarMatchman posted:

can I start the game and then do character pool poo poo for my file? want to start but also want to come back to the editor and make more guys and gals.

You can edit everything about any character at any time and push a button to export them into the character pool.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

pnumoman posted:

I can't play.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

pnumoman posted:

What's the point of playing the game if people who can't don't know about it?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Sauce posted:

Reposting again: is GMG the best place to buy this still? Thanks.

yes

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Do you need to stay on the VPN once you unlock it or can you dump it the moment it starts decrypting?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
My game just unlocked? Playing in PST/Seattle.

Ok then, time to see if this works.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

my unpack time went up to 9 days for a second there now its at 3 hours.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

year199X posted:

Do you need to stay on the VPN once you unlock it or you can you dump it the moment it starts decrypting?

You need to set steam to offline mode/have the game launched or it'll lock you out again once you close the vpn.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I meant why would anyone post about their decrypt finishing when they could be playing... my lovely laptop is still decrypting this goddamn game which is why I'm posting this reply.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Literally stuck at the last second of unlocking.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Speedball posted:

Beat the game with unupgraded ballistic weapons?

Just the final mission. There's also going through the campaign with no squad size upgrade and no soldier deaths. Like XCOM2012, they're only on Commander+ difficulty

There's even one for evaccing with a soldier bleeding out, that might be obtained eventually. :v:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What's the point of playing the game if people who can't don't know about it?

Fair enough, what's the point of living in AsiaLand if I can't post about it.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

year199X posted:

Do you need to stay on the VPN once you unlock it or can you dump it the moment it starts decrypting?

You need to be online to decrypt, so you need to be on the VPN while decrypting.

At this rate it would be faster for me to drive to NCIX, buy a new ssd, install it and use that to decrypt rather than waiting for my old drive to do it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What would be the best difficulty to start on for a newcomer to the series? (Tried out the original XCom's way back, but didn't really get into it at the time)

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
OK, despite VPNGate not seeming to work for me, WTFast appears to work fine. Recommend that for anyone still having trouble with their VPNs.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It finished unpacking then started to download the DLC before it would let me play. :smith:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Trick to tell whether or not you're going through your VPN.

* Make sure your VPN is off.
* Open up a Windows command line (Windows key + R, then type "cmd").
* Type this: tracert 8.8.8.8

This will display the route the packets are using to reach the 8.8.8.8 IP address (this is Google's public DNS server). If you're from home the first hop is going to be something like 192.168.1.1 (could be a different network, but chances are it's going to be 192.168.x.x). That's your local gateway.

Now turn on your VPN and do that again. If the first hop is the same IP address as before, then you're not going through your VPN.

Also, don't use free VPN services unless you're absolutely sure they are safe. If I wanted to spy on people and record their traffic for various reasons (like trying to insert ads or malware in their traffic), I'd provide free VPNs.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, at the very least trying to figure out this VPN stuff will help to pass the time until the game legit unlocks for me in a few hours.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kiggles posted:

This is what Steam controller does best. Supports basically everything, and is fully customize-able, even for things like Xinput. It's really just a matter of loving/hating the touch pads.

Cool to know, thanks. I've been thinking about getting a Steam Link for a while, so I don't have to run HDMI, USB, etc. across the room to the TV and deal with monitor fuckery; maybe I'll buy a Steam Controller to go with it. Wish I could try the touchpad thing before I buy, though.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Behaviour theorists see delaying gratification as an adaptive skill. It has been shown that learning to delay gratification promotes positive social behaviour, such as sharing and positive peer interactions.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Steam Workshop is already up and has the release mods in it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ciaphas posted:

Cool to know, thanks. I've been thinking about getting a Steam Link for a while, so I don't have to run HDMI, USB, etc. across the room to the TV and deal with monitor fuckery; maybe I'll buy a Steam Controller to go with it. Wish I could try the touchpad thing before I buy, though.

FYI the X360 pad works like a charm with the Steam Link (Valve is the maintainer of the driver Linux of that pad), even if you use the PC wireless adapter. If you have one hanging around, you can save yourself $50.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Furism posted:

FYI the X360 pad works like a charm with the Steam Link (Valve is the maintainer of the driver Linux of that pad), even if you use the PC wireless adapter. If you have one hanging around, you can save yourself $50.

Also good to know! But I was thinking more about the Steam controller for games like this, that don't support controllers by default.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Don't forget to check out Steam Workshop and subscribe to the Long War Studios mods if you were at all interested in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Still 15 minutes left on decryption. I have work in 5 hours and have barely slept :D