Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
hmm you guys sound poor

Fretlight is also doing a dumb not-guitar thing

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG561NAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

unlawfulsoup posted:

http://www.gtar.fm

Pack it up bros.

Haha, did he play any sick blues licks?

No but he was interviewed under a tarp (lol) at the infield in Daytona (so, outside, very loud, lots going on in the background) and the whole time he is wearing a Santana model strapped to his body. He doesn't play the guitar. He doesn't even make reference to the guitar. He just wore it while he talked like a retarded rear end in a top hat who takes his dentist guitar everywhere he goes.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

fyodor posted:

No but he was interviewed under a tarp (lol) at the infield in Daytona (so, outside, very loud, lots going on in the background) and the whole time he is wearing a Santana model strapped to his body. He doesn't play the guitar. He doesn't even make reference to the guitar. He just wore it while he talked like a retarded rear end in a top hat who takes his dentist guitar everywhere he goes.

Dude has to impress the ladies.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

hmm you guys sound poor

Fretlight is also doing a dumb not-guitar thing

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FG561NAT

Yeah, the fretlight seems like a better thing if you really need an aid like that.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fyodor posted:

Stunning, durable, and tone-friendly PRS V12 finish

The Custom 22 is finished in a stunning PRS V12 finish. If you're seeking vintage vibe with a sophisticated edge, then your search ends here. Over a decade in the making, PRS's V12 finish blends the thin, resonance-enhancing characteristics of a nitro finish with the non-cracking reliability you expect from a modern acrylic finish. It has a classic feel all its own that makes your axe feel like an old instrument - one that will look flawless for years to come.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lemme guess: they mixed a little paint thinner in with the varnish

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they probably did that but spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on research to figure that out

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
apparently it's brittle as poo poo and guitars are already flaking and cracking

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
These guitars relic themselves, FOR TONE.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, the fretlight seems like a better thing if you really need an aid like that.

my dad got a fretlight and apparently the quality out of the box is dogshit but after replacing the pots/sanding the frets/adjusting the action/adjusting the intonation/some other poo poo that i forget, it's pretty playable

also this was the second fretlight he got. he bought one earlier and returned it because it had the same problem and he assumed he got a dud model, then the replacement came in and it was the exact same poo poo. the particular model was claimed to have been used in demonstration videos

they charge 400 for that poo poo lmao

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Was poking round the UltimateMetal forums and came across this:

"I write using tab software. I usually tab everything out in Powertab or Guitar Pro first, write the bass, anywhere from one to three guitars, and drums. I decide beforehand whether I want a part to be distorted or acoustic.

I never really liked writing stuff by sitting around and playing a guitar. I mean, you come up with some cool riffs and things, but I find that, for me at least, it's easier to put thought into these things when it's just me and a computer."

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much all in the box recording/ampsim wise, my drums are all Midi, and I'll sometimes write synth parts like this rather than playing but what the gently caress?

Am I old? Is this, in fact, how I Dj0nt? By foregoing the guitar until its necessary? :confused:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Nothing wrong with it for writing to a system. If you know a little theory you can put down a basic progression, bass line and melody. Then play it and change parts according to feel, add dynamics and expression.

Then again I'm a hobbiest with a background in iterative design where it pays to get a rough outline written down before a sketch, even if the finished design changes considerably. Just watch out for scope creep.

Nobody wants a toilet seat that doubles as a video phone, just as a 15 minute shred solo full of pinch harmonocs isn't always ideal jammed in the middle of a classic punk track.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
apparently it's a thing with one man bedroom bands

i have no idea how you'd go about writing a song in guitar pro

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've done it before sometimes, but I usually don't START in the tab program. I at least come up with something on guitar to start with

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

NonzeroCircle posted:

"I write using tab software. I usually tab everything out in Powertab or Guitar Pro first, write the bass, anywhere from one to three guitars, and drums. I decide beforehand whether I want a part to be distorted or acoustic.

I never really liked writing stuff by sitting around and playing a guitar. I mean, you come up with some cool riffs and things, but I find that, for me at least, it's easier to put thought into these things when it's just me and a computer."

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty much all in the box recording/ampsim wise, my drums are all Midi, and I'll sometimes write synth parts like this rather than playing but what the gently caress?

Am I old? Is this, in fact, how I Dj0nt? By foregoing the guitar until its necessary? :confused:

I usually write in my head or chart on paper, and then check it on a guitar or piano later when I get chance. It depends on how into theory you want to be and if you have much of an ear for intervals. :shrug:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

This is how everyone I know who makes djent writes, yes, and coincidentally one of the reasons I stopped playing in "heavy" bands

I don't get whats hard/bad/not fun about jamming riffs with real people, rather than sending everyone tabs and sitting at home.

Who cares about theory, does riff sound good y/n is enough for most poo poo.

E: VVV yea youre right, its being the stoner dude in tech bands that sucks i guess

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 4, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I can't imagine the stoner metal side of things is so spergy and anal. :420:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Experimental music is the ticket for me. Write music, hahahahaha.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fyodor posted:

I can't imagine the stoner metal side of things is so spergy and anal. :420:

ah poo poo dude which power chord do I hold out for 8 measures again? gently caress. wait hold up, I think I remem-nah I don't. Let's start from the top

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

ah poo poo dude which power chord do I hold out for 8 measures again? gently caress. wait hold up, I think I remem-nah I don't. Let's start from the top

It's really about which combination of boutique fuzz pedals you will run into your sunn model t/matamp. You think that poo poo is easy?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

fyodor posted:

It's really about which combination of boutique fuzz pedals you will run into your sunn model t/matamp. You think that poo poo is easy?

actually its about font on muffs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

field balm posted:

E: VVV yea youre right, its being the stoner dude in tech bands that sucks i guess

wait there are tech death dudes who aren't also massive stoners?

muike posted:

I've done it before sometimes, but I usually don't START in the tab program. I at least come up with something on guitar to start with

i mean yeah i used to have a little 4 track i'd record bits and pieces and sometimes jot down quick tabs so i don't forget stuff

i just can't see writing an entire song from scratch entirely in guitar pro, not at least without playing through things first before writing it down

also it seems way quicker to just write it down on paper/record

on the other hand all of jay randall's stuff in agoraphobic nosebleed is written in a mod tracker so who knows

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 4, 2016

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

comes along bort posted:

yea boring straight edge dudes love the poo poo these days, I don't get it

*plays music of any sort, isn't stoned* lol

E: I think its cause of btbam

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

Don't think so, weed goes hand in hand with tech death like cheap beer and crossover thrash.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I knew a kid who wrote like this and surprise, it was all 9-string br00tal deth sweep arpeggio slam overly techy riff salad bullshit. Couldn't write a decent heavy riff to save his life.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

guitars with more than 6 strings are the stupidest music thing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

field balm posted:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

Don't think so, weed goes hand in hand with tech death like cheap beer and crossover thrash.

weed goes hand in hand with tech death like camo cargo shorts and tech death

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
I take you you aren't a fan of the Byrds, huh?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think Dylan Carlson plays a telecaster. Dude murdered Cobain so I think he knows what he's doing.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

NonzeroCircle posted:

THAT poo poo AIN'T MUSIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnGb28DgFQ

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

field balm posted:

Counterpoint: Matt Pike's 9-string guitar.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

The facial expressions around 7.00 to 7.30 are peak jazz

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
victor wooten only needs 4 strings to suck, what's that guy's excuse?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The high strings were like a ukelele or something, and the lowest strings were just one big rumbling fart. That's too much strings.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

NonzeroCircle posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnEmNzJNeM

The facial expressions around 7.00 to 7.30 are peak jazz

I love how he is facerolling then the sound of the low strings just clacking like poo poo on the fretboard. I don't know how you could watch all of that!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I always wonder how much it costs and how long it takes to re-string these monstrosities: I get bored just doing my 5 string.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Are there any players that use a 7 string guitar with only the regular 6 attached?
That would be a good dumb way to mess with people.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sout posted:

Are there any players that use a 7 string guitar with only the regular 6 attached?
That would be a good dumb way to mess with people.

Which slot would you leave open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Allen Wren posted:

Which slot would you leave open?

The 4th string.

• Locked thread