Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah it does. apple is really bad at software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

are you sure you did that or did you press "skip" when asked for apple ID during initial setup

because I've never had to sign into game center, it just works for me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you probably signed in separately you just don't remember. the app store, game center, facetime/imessage, and backup all use separate stored accounts even though 99.99999% of times they are the same account. there are probably others too

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

dont gaslight me shags. i've done it enough times to know what happens

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah you can have separate accounts for those things but if you sign in during firstrun setup it will sign into everything for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no it doesn't.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hmm yep. you're wrong buds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
every time ive done it it signs in for the app store and then you have to go manually setup the others or otherwise wait until you get prompted for them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that never did happen to me

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just tried it on a QA device and sure enough no password prompt in game center, messages, find my friends, etc after firstrun setup. sounds like user error.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i can certainly understand why a windows user would decline to sign in during initial setup tho. it's standard practice in windows 8/10

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

that is literally how it works

iCloud, iTunes, Game Center and Find Your Friends all ask for your Apple ID and password separately

I think iBooks does too, but its been a while since I had to configure a blank phone

you hosed up somewhere

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

you hosed up somewhere

yea, at checkout

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
lol @ the sheeples paying almost $300 extra for a small bit more flash memory in their idevice

but you can upgrade it for few bucks + labor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGb5AOwp44

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

i can certainly understand why a windows user would decline to sign in during initial setup tho. it's standard practice in windows 8/10

I definitely signed in at the start because it gets the backup. my guess is you're restoring the previous credentials from the backup.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stux posted:

lol at an anroid user not understnanding why ios actually asks for passwords instead of just letting anything hijack ur device

i'm fine with it asking for my password, i just need to be able to open my password manager to copy my apple id password, because i don't know it and don't want to know it.

just make the password prompt non-modal, that is literally all i'm asking.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Wheany posted:

i'm fine with it asking for my password, i just need to be able to open my password manager to copy my apple id password, because i don't know it and don't want to know it.

just make the password prompt non-modal, that is literally all i'm asking.

use a better password

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

aapl pls build 1password support into iOS X

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shaggar posted:

I definitely signed in at the start because it gets the backup. my guess is you're restoring the previous credentials from the backup.
nope. setup as new device. perhaps you restored a backup that was already messed up due to previous apple id fuckery by the user (you)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

THC posted:

nope. setup as new device.

we've been over this: the software on iOS sucks and doesn't work. Your constant fibbing will get you nowhere here, in the land of high IQ computer professionals. Maybe try and spin your yarn over in IYG or something where they're more gullible.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

actually it works great for me and millions of satisfied people. this problem doesn't happen to me or anyone i know.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*dazed looking emaciated man in blue jeans and new balances staggers onto an open grass field* the sky!!! the sky~!!! tis ORANGE! *bends down and plucks a fistfull of lush green grass from the field* THE FIELD, oh, this BEAUTIFUL field! 'Tis BLUE!! The air I breath, ah *takes a deep, lung-filling breath* the AIR is thick with water! *pulls iphone out of pocket* The software on my phone! my Phone! It's OS! IT'S GOOD!!!! It work so well!"

regular guy, looking on from a gleaming riding mower: "that guy's got issues."

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

*dazed looking emaciated man in blue jeans and new balances staggers onto an open grass field* the sky!!! the sky~!!! tis ORANGE! *bends down and plucks a fistfull of lush green grass from the field* THE FIELD, oh, this BEAUTIFUL field! 'Tis BLUE!! The air I breath, ah *takes a deep, lung-filling breath* the AIR is thick with water! *pulls iphone out of pocket* The software on my phone! my Phone! It's OS! IT'S GOOD!!!! It work so well!"

regular guy, looking on from a gleaming riding mower: "that guy's got issues."

can the second guys pecs be gleaming too?

no big rush but lmk asap tia

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

nope. setup as new device. perhaps you restored a backup that was already messed up due to previous apple id fuckery by the user (you)

why didn't apple fix it if the backup was busted? I think its just that apple is garbage cause I signed in multiple times for those other services, but only ever once for the app store.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but the core of the problem is why do all the apple services on the device require you to login separately despite them all using the same login?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

remember lots of yospos apple contrarians have never used an ios later than 5

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i just opened find friends for literally the first time ever and it didn't ask me for my password and i was already logged in.

shaggar was wrong

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DaNzA posted:

lol @ the sheeples paying almost $300 extra for a small bit more flash memory in their idevice

but you can upgrade it for few bucks + labor

this is a great idea if you want uninitialized flash that doesn't have a valid bad blocks table, was probably rejected from some manufacturing line, and will stop working in a few weeks when the solder cracks if it doesn't lose the master blocks before that.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Shaggar posted:

but the core of the problem is why do all the apple services on the device require you to login separately despite them all using the same login?

I've only encountered this on fresh OS X installs, never iOS

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
The only Apple software that I have to sign in every time is Find My iPhone. The rest automatically do it. If you're signed into iCloud, every single Apple service should be single sign-on enabled.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Shaggar posted:

they dont

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they do

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Endless Mike posted:

i just opened find friends for literally the first time ever and it didn't ask me for my password and i was already logged in.

shaggar was wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so why are there separate logins for things like game center?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
just went on game center for the first time on this device and im logged in

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I always need to sign into my account for iTunes a few times even after getting my iCloud account all set up.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

same. works on my machine!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stux posted:

you must have logged in previously.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
:toot::toot:

quote:

We attended the trial of VirnetX (NYSEMKT:VHC) vs. Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) that started on January 25th, which concluded yesterday with the jury finding infringement by Apple on VirnetX's four patents at issue, and awarded VirnetX $625M in damages. Importantly, the jury found that Apple's products continue to infringe the VirnetX patents even after they attempted to design around the patents. Since the beginning of this dispute, Apple has released additional products such as the iPhone 6 which were not included in this case or the damages calculation. This means that there are additional 500 million units or so already sold by Apple that are likely also infringing but were not included in the damages award provided by the jury.

quote:

• Apple received a $625 million jury verdict against Apple for infringement by VPN on Demand, FaceTime and iMessage.

• The infringement finding makes it possible that many more products sold by Apple that were not included in the damages calculation may infringe.

• The willfulness finding makes it likely that the judge will find some enhancement of damages.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3866246-virnetx-scores-big-court-win-apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
quick reminder to pro-apple trolls: good trolling isn't just saying "nuh uh" or outright lying about things

• Locked thread