Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Hey it's a double XP weekend! If you spend MC on converting XP to GXP, you get free* bonuses!

If you spend nearly 100 dollars in MC shuffling XP around, you get a free* mech bay!

WHAT A DEAL

If this wasn't an event thing and rather a persistent reward system, it would be a bit better, but even still XP conversion is hilariously overpriced (even at double the rate). I have to assume some people are using it as is, which is strange given that the pricing model is borrowed from WOT and there XP is used to not only upgrade tanks and crew but also unlock the ability to purchase tanks, making the importance and utility of Free XP (GXP) much higher and thus arguably more valuable.

I think a mechanic to make use of the excess XP on mastered chassis might at the very least add a bit more depth to the game, even with trivial rewards. Someone awhile back suggested it just get converted into cbills, which would be something at least. However, any such system can be seen as discouraging the purchase of additional mechs which is of course ~bad~.

E:

A.o.D. posted:

Clan PPC builds are inherently bad. They run too hot, are too difficult to use well, and have cripplingly low DPS. Don't be me and pilot a War hawk Prime with 4x ERPPCs. It's not something you do to be effective. It's something you do because you like seeing erppcs smack into things.

I am ashamed to say the highest KDR and Win rate of all my mechs is in that mech/fit (I am bad at robots).

veedubfreak posted:

So I bought the Marauder pack cause I'm bad with money. Does it just not work until you get it fully basic'd/elited or am I just really out of practice with AC5s?

It's good, but are you chain firing or group firing the AC/5s? Chain fire will cause pubbies to panic and usually struggle to hit you if you're in their face, while group firing is more accurate and better when you're a bit further away.

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Roll in a 3xPPC Thunderbolt, like it's CW launch again.

I don't need to buy another 'mech to compound my folly.

Also, the Ppc bolt got meganerfed. The war hawk has 4x the heat managed DPS.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 4, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Buff Butler posted:

Against bad players and idiots, sure. Post your best CW scoreboards, and then I'll post mine. Better yet, I'll post the vods of guys who bring nothing but ERLL whining about being curbstomped because I just walked up and shot them in the loving face, lol

my dude

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Played my first ever game with goons, did about 10 times better than I've ever done before. Incredible.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
just got this, the ui is absolute dogshit and cluttered. first match dumps me in the oceanic servers, and i end up dying because someone thought it would be a great idea to put the chat and targeting keys right next to each other

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Robot Randy posted:

just got this, the ui is absolute dogshit and cluttered. first match dumps me in the oceanic servers, and i end up dying because someone thought it would be a great idea to put the chat and targeting keys right next to each other

Play with goons

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Robot Randy posted:

Guess you should play something else then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad no other video game in the history of video games has ever mapped R and T to different functions.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's almost like it's a standard control scheme.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I mapped R to shutdown and T to shut down.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I mapped left mouse to shut down

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Press [unbound] to shutdown

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I mapped the North America servers to the Oceania servers.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Alt + F4 is my emergency over ride.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Even though I don't drop with you guys, I always appreciate running into you lot in the group queue. Primarily because you'll actually get stuck in, instead of hide the whole goddamn match. Few things are more irritating than having assaults on your team who refuse to leave cover and engage.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I wish there was a way to toggle the TAG laser on an off so that I wouldn't have to hold a button down all the time.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

AutoHotKey is your friend for these kind of things.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kurzon posted:

I wish there was a way to toggle the TAG laser on an off so that I wouldn't have to hold a button down all the time.

It's PGI telling you to not encourage bad play.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

It's PGI telling you to not encourage bad play.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's trying to break through ecm cover so his streaks can lock.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Good to know about massive amounts of ammo for UACs, and the game rewarding single weapon types. Gonna go Marauder when I get the chance then.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
gently caress converting xp to xp for mc, i want to convert xp to mc instead.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

10 MC per Thousand XP after mastering a chassis? I'd take that poo poo. Give me something to do with my Stalker 4N, Hunchback 4G and Stormcrow XP.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Same. If I combined my Timber, my Ilya and my Firebrand I have over 1 mil xp. Hell I'm already sitting on over 60k GXP.

Double xp does sound good though since I just bought crabs, urbies, marauders and hellbringers. Guess I need to turn on a month of banked premium too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Basically, anything that lets us earn mc that isn't literally handing over cash and isn't limited to events.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

A.o.D. posted:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's trying to break through ecm cover so his streaks can lock.

But theres a passive module thingy for that, unless you want locks further than 180m.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Drakes posted:

But theres a passive module thingy for that, unless you want locks further than 180m.

No modules break ECM coverage. BAP acts as a counter-unit but is not a module, Seismic allows detection within 180m but no target data.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Also, BAP only shuts down one ECM in its radius. If two are active, you'll still get a low signal from the other ECM you didn't shut down.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Kilo147 posted:

Is this completely worthless? It's the best approximation of my old Battletech loadout, I'd buy a single Cauldy just to do this.

Starlancer

Take off the LRM5's and the ammo and put on heat sinks and that will work. Without the added heat sinks it will be useless. LRM's are really bad in MWO, usually the team with the most LRM's looses.

Edit: and someone else said put on at least 5 tons of AC ammo, they are right.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 4, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its not about the cbills. If you ever wanted a hula girl you can get one for 500 MC now. That appears to be about middle of the road as far as cosmetics, and I don't see them available at all for regular purchase.

Nows a chance to make like the trailer and put 'er in your atlas.

I'm probably going to do it as a shortcut to useful modules, and once those are exhausted my GXP pool just becomes a lazymode/shortcut for eliting things.

On that related note, what are the most useful things out of this list: Seismic, 360 target retention, target decay 2(i already have 1 for some reason), improved gyros, consumable boosts? Any others i've forgotten?

I already have the other big ones like Radar Dep.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 4, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Infidelicious posted:

So, how awful is this?

This is bad because for 30 damage it takes 50% of your heat, and you can't shoot the PPC's at all if you are over 50% heat or you shut down, also only 10 of the 15 ppc damage goes to the hit location. If you switch them from PPC's to LPL your heat goes way way down and you do 11 damage to the hit location instead.

Skoll posted:

Alt + F4 is my emergency over ride.

Be like me and ALT-F4 in a huff every time a goon does something stupid and gets you killed.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Be like me and ALT-F4 in a huff every time a goon does something stupid and gets you killed.

So, 90% of the games I've had with you?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drakes posted:

Clan streaks can connect out to almost 400m with the range module. Fit dat tag.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

TheParadigm posted:

On that related note, what are the most useful things out of this list: Seismic, 360 target retention, target decay 2(i already have 1 for some reason), improved gyros, consumable boosts? Any others i've forgotten?

I already have the other big ones like Radar Dep.

I'mma gonna say that for me it's seismic. I live for brawling and close range encounters, using the terrain to mask my approach, setting up ambushes and reporting contacts without line of sight.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah seismic is basically wallhack. essential on just about anything that will ever stand still -- big assaults and snipey mechs especially, so you can detect a cheetah coming to carve you up

cool rush consumables are great on DPS mechs and anything that is going to be running hot

well-placed UAVs can help swing a match -- very good on anything sneaky

airstrikes and artillery feel cheap to me, but if you drop one correctly it can really mess up a blob

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Artillery and air strikes are crucial in cw

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Suicide feet artillery when you are about to die is a pro move. Especially when you take some extra goons with you.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Buff Butler posted:

ER Large Lasers are very bad weapons, and it's extremely funny to see that PGI somehow thinks they are the new balance boogeyman.

ERLLs are only good if the other team is equally stupid and willing to play the 1000 meter trading game, or if you are aimbotting and you can keep your lasers on a center torso through a full 1.25 seconds of twisting.

I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of players don't aimbot, making ERLLs hot loving garbage against anyone with a pulse.

ERLL work well on my Cicada harasser, throws teams off and when people come to chase me I can just run back to the team so they get ganked. However on alot of mechs they are poo poo.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I solo drop alot and I love ERLLs, I find it way too hard to brawl on the average map when playing with pubs.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mashed_penguin posted:

Suicide feet artillery when you are about to die is a pro move. Especially when you take some extra goons with you.

I recorded a game where someone got taken out and dropped an airstrike as they died that obliterated two of their own teammates. it was legit hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
We are giving PGI too much money

They are going to start working on a new lovely game or something

• Locked thread