Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Finally have a new person starting Monday and I will no longer have to worry about help desk stuff and only worry about sys/network admin stuff. Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am impressed that you lasted that long

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Finally have a new person starting Monday and I will no longer have to worry about help desk stuff and only worry about sys/network admin stuff. Finally.

Hah, right.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Kashuno posted:

This new person will know nothing and you need to spoonfeed him for at least 2-3 months.

If you're lucky he'll pick it up from there and you'll only have to help him a few times per week for the rest of the year. If you're unlucky he'll be at your desk multiple times per day until either you quit or get him fired.

Hth.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kashuno posted:

He'll spend 3 days troubleshooting one printer while you take all the other user calls.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

I am impressed that you lasted that long

From late November until now. I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Guys don't ruin my optimism it's all I have left

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If optimism is all you have, you're in the wrong industry.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Optimism and booze

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kashuno posted:

Are you me?

Actually I just had the first in person interview today for the batch of candidates and ran into the age old problem of having the best candidate in first. I didn't schedule him first, HR did, and now I have to sit through all the other bright eyed candidates that have a very low chance as being as promising and it isn't' fair to either of us.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

He'll spend 3 days troubleshooting one printer while you take all the other user calls.

and there's nothing wrong with it

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Optimism and booze

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LochNessMonster posted:

and there's nothing wrong with it

No, he forgot to remove the orange ribbon before putting in the new toner.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

go3 posted:

NESSUS SCAN SAY FIX

Just you wait, that SNMP read string set to public on an HP DeskJet CAN and WILL lead to your doom!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Just you wait, that SNMP read string set to public on an HP DeskJet CAN and WILL lead to your doom!

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/co...efences-1314135

FTP not SNMP but still, default settings.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

You'd never catch me dismissing an FTP finding. SNMP Read, though...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

LochNessMonster posted:

If you're lucky he'll pick it up from there and you'll only have to help him a few times per week for the rest of the year. If you're unlucky he'll be at your desk multiple times per day until either you quit or get him fired.

Or, he'll be good, and within a month of him becoming in your mind a stable dependable resource who can be counted on to fix problems quickly and competently, he'll figure out helldesk sucks and move on without warning, thus dumping you even further into the pit of despair than where you started back in November.

I've only met one helpdesk guy who was both competent and seemingly happy to continue doing it (dude's been helpdesk for 7+ years) and I'm pretty sure he's slightly autistic or otherwise just unmotivated. That's a true IT unicorn.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Trigger warning... We had some old printers we had to disable SNMP on because THE SCAN! said so. It ended up breaking the printer showing online to all the clients, and caused headaches. We just replaced perfectly good older printers because of THE SCAN

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Potato Alley posted:

Or, he'll be good, and within a month of him becoming in your mind a stable dependable resource who can be counted on to fix problems quickly and competently, he'll figure out helldesk sucks and move on without warning, thus dumping you even further into the pit of despair than where you started back in November.

I've only met one helpdesk guy who was both competent and seemingly happy to continue doing it (dude's been helpdesk for 7+ years) and I'm pretty sure he's slightly autistic or otherwise just unmotivated. That's a true IT unicorn.

Had a coworker like that when I worked for the county jail. Dude was only just getting on full time from contract 4 years later. He's never going to leave now that he has govt benefits.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Our Nessus constantly generates false positives for Windows-related CVEs. It's a lot of fun.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Inspector_666 posted:

Our Nessus constantly generates false positives for Windows-related CVEs. It's a lot of fun.

You say false positives, I call it 'dynamically generated training content'!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
There is not a day that goes by where I don't think "but at least we aren't beholden to PCI."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

You say false positives, I call it 'dynamically generated training content'!

There is very little training that can be done with a "Windows cannot install this hotfix. Reason: It is already installed." message.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Inspector_666 posted:

We use Qualys, and we have several systems we have to argue about constantly because the vendor says they're not affected by the vuln, but Qualys flags them as vulnerable. We've seen some cache type issues as well where previously fixed issues come back on the next weeks report for some reason.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just had a phone interview and I couldn't answer a single question on it. I've never felt this loving stupid in my life. It was just kind of sprung on me, I want to be defensive and say "Well I don't really work with hardware all that much," but honestly it's just that I suck, and need to spend more time learning.

Blech.

I didn't know the importance of a 169.254 ip address
I didn't know the difference between raid 0 and raid 1
I didn't know what a .pps file was in relation to a .ost
And there was a question that just sounded like a list of acronyms and numbers.

I think it's time to start drinking.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have no idea what a .pps file is in relation to an offline cache for Outlook either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Turtlicious posted:

Blech.

The first two you should know (you know now, right?), but I don't even know what a .pps file is, much less how it relates to a .ost.

EDIT: Wait .pps is a Powerpoint file, do you mean .pst?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Turtlicious posted:

I just had a phone interview and I couldn't answer a single question on it. I've never felt this loving stupid in my life. It was just kind of sprung on me, I want to be defensive and say "Well I don't really work with hardware all that much," but honestly it's just that I suck, and need to spend more time learning.

Blech.

You know now though, right? As long as you're learning that's all that matters.

Thanks Ants posted:

I have no idea what a .pps file is in relation to an offline cache for Outlook either.

Also this.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
.pps is power point, and ots is outlook, they don't relate to each other outside of Microsoft Office

Raid 0 has no redundancy, the blocks are striped, and don't have parity
Raid 1 has it's blocks mirrored, which means if one fails, we've got back ups.

169.254.x.x means that the computer hasn't been assigned a subnet by the DHCP

Still, I feel like hot garbage.

I'm pretty sure the .pps one is to see if you're willing to say "I don't know"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

.pps is power point, and ots is outlook, they don't relate to each other outside of Microsoft Office

169.254.x.x means that the computer hasn't been assigned a subnet by the DHCP

Still, I feel like hot garbage.

I'm pretty sure the .pps one is to see if you're willing to say "I don't know"

To be more specific, 169.254 is a link local address, which means any traffic from one will be dropped by routers. There are legitimate uses for them.

That was a... wide variety of questions.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Inspector_666 is probably right and it was a .pst vs .ost question.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

skipdogg posted:

Trigger warning... We had some old printers we had to disable SNMP on because THE SCAN! said so. It ended up breaking the printer showing online to all the clients, and caused headaches. We just replaced perfectly good older printers because of THE SCAN

ACL to block THE SCAN! from probing certain targets.

Its a thing.

I've done that thing many times. Going through SOX compliance is something I will *NEVER* do again in my career. I'd quit first.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

H110Hawk posted:

There is not a day that goes by where I don't think "but at least we aren't beholden to PCI."
PCI-DSS is pretty much the least difficult and least stressful regulatory compliance you could be bound by. It's really not that terrible unless your network has no segmentation whatsoever, and the state laws regarding data breach notification are honestly a lot more difficult than what the PCI standard says you have to do.

HIPAA and SOX are a whole other ballgame.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

KillHour posted:

To be more specific, 169.254 is a link local address, which means any traffic from one will be dropped by routers. There are legitimate uses for them.

That was a... wide variety of questions.

I think I'd rather do deny ip host 10.1.1.1. any before I'd actually use an apipa.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not everybody has control over all the adjacent routers.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Vulture Culture posted:

PCI-DSS is pretty much the least difficult and least stressful regulatory compliance you could be bound by. It's really not that terrible unless your network has no segmentation whatsoever, and the state laws regarding data breach notification are honestly a lot more difficult than what the PCI standard says you have to do.

PCI-DSS is fine tier 1, 2 and 3.

Tier 4 can gently caress right off.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Turtlicious posted:

I'm going to be a dick and stress that RAID is NEVER a backup. If a disk in a RAID1 fails, you have redundancy so you can replace it while not taking the system down. If the rebuild fails and you don't have a backup, you are hosed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Never, ever, call RAID a "backup." You can take a backup of your RAID, but not use RAID as a backup. Talk about redundancy, degradation, time to repair, etc. Backups are what you go to when the last disk in your mirror set croaks before you finish rebuilding.

Vulture Culture posted:

We have a whole plan just in case we accidentally need to become PCI-DSS. It involves a completely separate network segment joined only by our firewall and basically implementing a token passing scheme so that the two systems never touch. There will be no direct routing between the segments.

We will never be HIPAA.

SOX is referred to as a "liquidity event" and is looked upon as a necessary evil for which I will not bitch. I encourage the balance of the people I work with to view it the same way.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

H110Hawk posted:

Never, ever, call RAID a "backup." You can take a backup of your RAID, but not use RAID as a backup. Talk about redundancy, degradation, time to repair, etc. Backups are what you go to when the last disk in your mirror set croaks before you finish rebuilding.

We have a whole plan just in case we accidentally need to become PCI-DSS. It involves a completely separate network segment joined only by our firewall and basically implementing a token passing scheme so that the two systems never touch. There will be no direct routing between the segments.

We will never be HIPAA.

SOX is referred to as a "liquidity event" and is looked upon as a necessary evil for which I will not bitch. I encourage the balance of the people I work with to view it the same way.

Everything up to tier 3 PCI is a joke. You can do your own assessments and just sign a piece of paper that says "yep, we're good".

Tier 4 however... that's just hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For shits and giggles to show how bad this phone interview went, I got Raid mixed up with SATA so I answered that they were just different ports on the mobo, except 0 was the master drive.

Basically shoot me in the loving face.