Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Goddamn Fiery Blow-Hogs torching my Pikmin :argh:

The best is when they set your pikmin on fire and while you're desperately trying to save them a loving cannon beetle pops up and just crushes everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Away all Goats posted:

In XCOM Enemy Within there's a status affect called 'panic' where the character will do random actions like fire at the enemy, fire at friendlies, run and hide, or just cower wherever they are. Normally this is reserved for your rookies at the early stages of the game when they're facing the terrifying unknown aliens.

About early-mid stage of the game though you get a flamethrower which in addition to setting the enemy and environment on fire makes them panic like mad. It's almost guaranteed. Even the powerful psychic overlords of the alien forces, the Ethreals, lose their poo poo when set on fire. It's like the ultimate reward to see this evil invading species who enslave other races, invade planets, kidnap subjects for experimentation and consider themselves above physical combat just freak the gently caress out over getting set on fire.

Brilliantly this also includes the otherwise unflappable enemy humans, EXALT. They don't speak - their dialogue is deliberately scrambled with indistinct radio "chatter" - but they completely lose their poo poo when set on fire.

"I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION :supaburn:"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4mB5J0bDE

"Good, Rico! :thumbsup:"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I mentioned a problem with it in the 'dragging games down' thread, but seriously, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam is a goddamn love letter to Paper Mario and all of the little things they do to act as nods from those games are great.

When Mario and Paper Mario first meet, they experimentally match abilities, and Mario sets Paper up to do both the spin from 64 and the spring jump from TTYD.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

In XCOM Enemy Within there's a status affect called 'panic' where the character will do random actions like fire at the enemy, fire at friendlies, run and hide, or just cower wherever they are. Normally this is reserved for your rookies at the early stages of the game when they're facing the terrifying unknown aliens.

About early-mid stage of the game though you get a flamethrower which in addition to setting the enemy and environment on fire makes them panic like mad. It's almost guaranteed. Even the powerful psychic overlords of the alien forces, the Ethreals, lose their poo poo when set on fire. It's like the ultimate reward to see this evil invading species who enslave other races, invade planets, kidnap subjects for experimentation and consider themselves above physical combat just freak the gently caress out over getting set on fire.

Watching a muton lose its goddamn mind and start running away from you in terror is such a good feeling.

I've been playing it a lot recently with the sequel coming up and everything and one thing I never really thought about before is just how good the kill animations are. Considering a lot of strategy games have enemies just kind of fall over or fade away, it's really gratifying to watch a sectoid get lifted clear off its feet and thrown like ten feet backwards by a burst of automatic weapons fire while doing its weird warbling death scream.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Byzantine posted:

Civilization V

Byzantium having her flamethrower ships.

I love how in Brave New World the new future tech combat unit is the XCOM squad. It's too bad the barbarians don't turn into sectoids for them to fight though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

poptart_fairy posted:

Brilliantly this also includes the otherwise unflappable enemy humans, EXALT. They don't speak - their dialogue is deliberately scrambled with indistinct radio "chatter" - but they completely lose their poo poo when set on fire.

"I'M LOSING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION :supaburn:"

I've been playing it wrong all this time. I was almost never using flamethrowers :(

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been playing it wrong all this time. I was almost never using flamethrowers :(

Anytime there is a flamethrower in a game you have to use it, just as a rule of thumb.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Iron Crowned posted:

While the flamethrowers are bossanova, using a MEC to robo-punch a Muton through the hull of a UFO is loving METAL.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Don Gato posted:

Anytime there is a flamethrower in a game you have to use it, just as a rule of thumb.

I am bad at games :(

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

Don Gato posted:

True

http://i.imgur.com/2TDjc31.gifv

https://twitter.com/shin01571/status/668399084529516544

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
Looks like I'll be playing XCOM again.... I somehow never realized there was a flamethrower...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Don Gato posted:

Flare guns are also nice for immolation at a distance.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This belongs in a museum.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Don Gato posted:

This is true everywhere except Dead Space.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Bah, about 50% of video game flamethrowers just set monster on fire and then it keeps attacking you while its health is slowly draining.

Other 50% are awesome though.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Don Gato posted:

LA Noire of all games has a flamethrower available in the last 5 minutes of the game and it's objectively terrible, probably the worst part of that flawed game (it happens to be one of my favorites but it definitely has its issues)

That being said I use it every time I get to that point anyways because

Don Gato posted:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I always have to try the flamethrower in a video game, just in case it turns out to be the legendary Video Game in Which the Flamethrower is Useful. It never is though.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Yeah, I always have to try the flamethrower in a video game, just in case it turns out to be the legendary Video Game in Which the Flamethrower is Useful. It never is though.

You should really try Payday 2.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I think my all-time favorite video game flamethrower was the one in GTA 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twt-4e79QK0

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

McDragon posted:

Killing Floor 1 and 2 have good flamethrowers, as well as a class revolving around them.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Jim DiGriz posted:

You should really try Payday 2.

The flamethrower in Payday 2 might be the best flamethrower in video game history. It does a poo poo-ton of direct damage and the afterburn stacks, so for every second you have fire on-target you've doubled your afterburn damage. Only a handful of the enemies in the game can withstand a full tank of fuel. It takes a little bit to learn how to use it properly, but nothing clears a room like it. Combine it with a very accurate, powerful secondary and you've got the ability to live through almost anything in that game.

My favorite little thing in Payday 2, though, is the mask customization system. How with only a few simple choices (material, pattern, colors for pattern) you can render something genuinely disturbing. I get kicked from pubbie matches for wearing these things. Behold:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

McDragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUCXpSPUF3c

Black Ops 3 has a good flamethrower but you can only use it a few times a round.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Exit Strategy posted:

The flamethrower in Payday 2 might be the best flamethrower in video game history. It does a poo poo-ton of direct damage and the afterburn stacks, so for every second you have fire on-target you've doubled your afterburn damage. Only a handful of the enemies in the game can withstand a full tank of fuel. It takes a little bit to learn how to use it properly, but nothing clears a room like it. Combine it with a very accurate, powerful secondary and you've got the ability to live through almost anything in that game.

My favorite little thing in Payday 2, though, is the mask customization system. How with only a few simple choices (material, pattern, colors for pattern) you can render something genuinely disturbing. I get kicked from pubbie matches for wearing these things. Behold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8YMgQc6I4U

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Iron Crowned posted:

The flamethrower is incredible for crowd control, and can really gently caress up the enemy's day in terms of sheer damage later on. But it isn't quite as satisfying as giant robot punchy fist.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

McDragon posted:

My favorite was Return to Castle Wolfenstein:
Nice long range, fills a volume (so that you can bounce it off walls or fill rooms through windows), great visuals for the time, actually hurts the enemy, it's perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZs9OnW6o9c

Skip to ~0:30 sec. This was the only video I could find of it :saddowns:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Irsh posted:

Looks like I'll be playing XCOM again.... I somehow never realized there was a flamethrower...

It's in the Enemy Within expansion pack, so if you don't have that then you don't have the flamethrower. And you have to choose between flamethrower and punching fist, and despite the coolness of fire the fist is better.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Well even though gameplay wise yeah the robofist is the better option, the flamethrower is a solid B to the rocket punch's A.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

scamtank posted:

I think the best one is when you make a British section garrison a church, specifically. "Let's see if Duffy bursts into flames."

Everything the snot-nosed Volksgrenadiers say is gold, too. "Dismount! Fire at anything! FIRE AT EVERYTHING!"
been playing COH2 past few days pretty much constantly and the lines are gold. Especially the T-34s, "I will gently caress you up!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Actually the Flamethrower is insanely useful for the hordes of those little bacterial globs and the skinny guys that fall apart. It's useless against anything else though.

Exit Strategy posted:

Jesus Christ :stare:.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

McDragon posted:

The one in Postal 2 is pretty great - at least, in Paradise Lost it is. It's been too long since I played the original for me to remember whether it was any good in that (or even if it was in the base game at all). Where most video game flame throwers fail is that the enemies don't react appropriately to them. If you get hit, you have to get out of there immediately or you'll die. If they get hit they just keep attacking you (and sometimes set you on fire as well). Games where they work have the enemies run away when you start shooting fire at them.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

This is a good post.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The flamethrower on XCom's MECs was mutually exclusive with the rocket punch, which didn't cause panic, could only attack one target at a time, and couldn't attack diagonally but they gave you more movement points, didn't require any ammo, you and could explode a freaking tank if you punched an alien into it.

I never trusted the psi panic ability. There was always a chance they would shoot one of your guys.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dr Christmas posted:

The flamethrower on XCom's MECs was mutually exclusive with the rocket punch, which didn't cause panic, could only attack one target at a time, and couldn't attack diagonally but they gave you more movement points, didn't require any ammo, you and could explode a freaking tank if you punched an alien into it.

I never trusted the psi panic ability. There was always a chance they would shoot one of your guys.

I would have loved to have been able to MEC punch diagonally but I also appreciated that the punch did a few more points damage than the flame. I can't recall if it was 2 or 3 points damage difference but when you're trying to take down something with high health like a mechtoid or a berzerker, those few points can matter. Don't some enemies resist flame damage as well? I thought I remember flaming a sectopod or something else robotic and it took no damage, or something like that.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

Also, standard enemies are incapacitated by fire. And you can combine it with a perk where dealing damage heals you. It's insane.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Q-bWPETg0

Farcry 3 has the best Flamethrower mission

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Tiggum posted:

The one in Postal 2 is pretty great - at least, in Paradise Lost it is. It's been too long since I played the original for me to remember whether it was any good in that (or even if it was in the base game at all). Where most video game flame throwers fail is that the enemies don't react appropriately to them. If you get hit, you have to get out of there immediately or you'll die. If they get hit they just keep attacking you (and sometimes set you on fire as well). Games where they work have the enemies run away when you start shooting fire at them.

The gas can + match is one of the most satisfying weapons ever.

-slosh-

-fwish-

"AAAAHHHHHHH!!!"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The Half-Life 2-ish game Timeshift has a SMG that it's primary fire is to shoot bullets that set people on fire.
Secondary is a flame-thrower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyWcY5cOaOc&t=196s

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Missing Link posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Q-bWPETg0

Farcry 3 has the best Flamethrower mission

I had The Doors on in my player and literally the second I clicked the video Morrison goes "C'mon, Baby, Light My Fire".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

That is horrifying. :gonk:

In other news:

*snip*

http://gfycat.com/ImpurePoliteBovine

:black101: Metal.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 13:30 on Feb 5, 2016