Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

ChaosArgate posted:

Wii U mode doesn't use the SD card at all, except for certain games like Smash Bros. You can just leave an SD card with homebrew stuff for vWii in your system with no ill effects.

Yes but does it support SDHC? I had to use an SD card for the hack, but after the inital hack does it support SDHC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

shaitan posted:

Yes but does it support SDHC? I had to use an SD card for the hack, but after the inital hack does it support SDHC?

Up to 32 GB. This is on a firmware basis though so some games that basically run on older Wii firmwares, like Brawl, only support up to 2 GB. Probably won't affect you much, but I'd keep around a 2 GB card for official stuff and a 32 for homebrew.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

flyboi posted:

From what I read it was all FUD and nobody knows why whomever said that was banned. They claimed that 10.5 had mod check code in it which is flat out impossible, only the friend app was modified. Only thing people are known to be banned for is hacking badge arcade to get free pulls and even then it's only a ban to badge arcade.

That doesn't really have anything to do with what he said.

What he is talking about is something that went into effect Feb 1st. Nintendo blocks playing online unless the friends system module is the latest version. You can use 3DSNUS to download the appropriate title at version 9216 and install it to your emunand to play online again. Although it's much easier to just update emunand to 10.5

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

What are the steps for fixing eshop error 022-2634 again?
o3DS RXT 10.5, unlinked emunand.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

What are the steps for fixing eshop error 022-2634 again?
o3DS RXT 10.5, unlinked emunand.

1. Backup emuNand with the emuNand tool.
2. Backup emuNand's files which are inside the Nintendo 3DS folder of your sd card.
3. Format emunand from system settings (normally)
4. On the newly formatted emuNand, set everything up again ( date, name, etc.) and link your NNID ( now you can).
5. Turn off 3ds. And restore the emuNAND backup and the folder you backupd previously.
6. DONE

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Someone accidentally updated my N3DSXL to 10.5 before I had a chance to downgrade but they ended up buying one themselves that's still on 9.6 and will let me trade for it. Can I downgrade that new system, set up an emunand, update that to 10.5 then perform a system transfer from my stock 10.5 system to the emunand of the homebrewed system? Is that a thing that's even possible?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yes.

Definitely make a backup of your emuNAND after the transfer though

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So my friend managed to get her new SD card and bring her o3DS over to me to set up emunand etc on. I assumed she'd be on 10.x or if I was lucky 9.2 already and I would either have to do the steps I've already done on my own two 3DS systems or even nothing. Turns out she's on 6.3 and I have no idea what to do.

Anyone got any good reliable guides for pointing me towards what I should be doing? Should I just keep sysnand on 6.3 and have the exact same menuhax -> rxTools on 10.5 setup that I would normally have?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You can use ninjahax 1 I believe and then sysupdate to 9.2 which will allow you to install cfw

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Andrast posted:

5. Turn off 3ds. And restore the emuNAND backup and the folder you backupd previously.

I tried restoring with emuNANDtool but it gives out a invalid NAND file size error when I select my backup.

Uh-oh?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

I tried restoring with emuNANDtool but it gives out a invalid NAND file size error when I select my backup.

Uh-oh?

Try the 1.01 version of emunandtool or try restoring it with emunand9

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Andrast posted:

Try the 1.01 version of emunandtool or try restoring it with emunand9

Actually, I tried 3DS Multinand and that did the trick. Apparently emuNANDtool sucks now.

e: eShop works, all is well in the world.

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 4, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

flyboi posted:

You can use ninjahax 1 I believe and then sysupdate to 9.2 which will allow you to install cfw

I don't have cubic ninja though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

So my friend managed to get her new SD card and bring her o3DS over to me to set up emunand etc on. I assumed she'd be on 10.x or if I was lucky 9.2 already and I would either have to do the steps I've already done on my own two 3DS systems or even nothing. Turns out she's on 6.3 and I have no idea what to do.

Anyone got any good reliable guides for pointing me towards what I should be doing? Should I just keep sysnand on 6.3 and have the exact same menuhax -> rxTools on 10.5 setup that I would normally have?

I think the commonly accepted method to get an old 3DS up to the FW 9.0+ stage where all the current hacks operate is to use a game cartridge that has the 9.0 or 9.2 firmware on it. I guess since downgrading is possible, you could also use a newer game that has up to 10.3 firmware, but it adds the dangerous extra step of a downgrade.
You can check which game ships with what firmware here: http://3dsdb.com/

edit: Alternatively, try if browserhax works on the 6.3 firmware: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The big thing you want when setting up EmuNAND, especially for someone else who might not be as technologically enthusiastic, is to make it as hands-off and easy as possible to use. You really want menuhax for this reason, so it all runs basically automatically when you switch on.
Menuhax requires 9.0+ FW, because that's when theme support was introduced. So you'll definitely want to update to there, if you can swing it. Either go with the gamecard option if you have one around, or download one of the O3DS 9.0 or 9.2 CIA update packs and use browserhax (if it works) and sysupdater to update it manually.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Every single time I think I have it all figured out... I keep hitting a new roadblock. Today I discovered I can no longer install .cia files through FBI, either I get a "File can not be opened" if I launch HBL from within emuNAND, and I get a "invalid signature" error if I enter HBL before emuNAND..... annoying.

Mind you I was able to install about 3-4 .cia files (retroarch) just two days ago, but I don't remember if that was before I updated emuNAND to 10.5 from 9.2 or what else I may have done in between that stopped it from working.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

HenryEx posted:

I think the commonly accepted method to get an old 3DS up to the FW 9.0+ stage where all the current hacks operate is to use a game cartridge that has the 9.0 or 9.2 firmware on it. I guess since downgrading is possible, you could also use a newer game that has up to 10.3 firmware, but it adds the dangerous extra step of a downgrade.
You can check which game ships with what firmware here: http://3dsdb.com/

edit: Alternatively, try if browserhax works on the 6.3 firmware: http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax.php

The newest game I have is ultimate nes remix which comes with 8.1.0 apparently. Any chance I can go from there?

e: Oh, according to this I can use rxtools to inject sysupdater into the H&S app, I'll try it this evening. I think I can just launch rxTools from the browser, hopefully I'm right!

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 4, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

sharktamer posted:

The newest game I have is ultimate nes remix which comes with 8.1.0 apparently. Any chance I can go from there?

e: Oh, according to this I can use rxtools to inject sysupdater into the H&S app, I'll try it this evening. I think I can just launch rxTools from the browser, hopefully I'm right!

I believe oothax should also be doable from that firmware version as well if you have that game. You shouldn't use game updates unless you absolutely have to because most of them don't update to the same revision as online updates and there may not be a rop for hax on your revision.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I'll just try and launch rxtools from the browser and go from there. I should be able to do a sysnand backup from there too if I'm remembering right.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

shaitan posted:

Every single time I think I have it all figured out... I keep hitting a new roadblock. Today I discovered I can no longer install .cia files through FBI, either I get a "File can not be opened" if I launch HBL from within emuNAND, and I get a "invalid signature" error if I enter HBL before emuNAND..... annoying.

Mind you I was able to install about 3-4 .cia files (retroarch) just two days ago, but I don't remember if that was before I updated emuNAND to 10.5 from 9.2 or what else I may have done in between that stopped it from working.

To install CIAs on emuNAND, you need to have FBI installed as a CIA on emuNAND, or have FBI injected into emuNAND Health and Safety. If you launch from HBL it will not have the required permissions.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Flagrama posted:

To install CIAs on emuNAND, you need to have FBI installed as a CIA on emuNAND, or have FBI injected into emuNAND Health and Safety. If you launch from HBL it will not have the required permissions.

Thanks this was what I suspected. Sounds like I'm going to have to figure out how to inject it into the H&S since I don't know how I can install FBI as a CIA if I can't install CIA files right now :D

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
If i remember correctly, I ran minipasta and installed FBI from there.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Got the 3DS upgraded from 6.3 to 9.2 in a pretty weird set of steps. Had to use the gateway launcher to create a GW emunand so that rxTools would let me inject fbi into the H&S app. Without doing this I think it was trying to inject into the emunand H&S which didn't exist. From there I was able to boot into pasta mode from rxTools, install sysupdater and go from there.

e: I've been continuing to use rxTools on 9.2 since update notifications and lack of folder icons is less important than seamless region free for me. This new blocking of the friends app by nintendo is gonna force me to update or fix this in some way. As someone said a few posts back I can just update that one title, but it's probably just easier to switch to reinand right? It does work with 10.5 on N3DS?

Alternatively is there any murmuring about when rxTools is going to work on 10.5?

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 5, 2016

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I have a N3DS on 10.3 that is hacked with the browser exploit and ironfall.
I want to update to 10.5 so I can play online again.
What do I do to update, while still retaining access to be able to boot in to homebrew menu?

I'm not terribly interested in the custom firmwares and the seemingly huge amount of failures for going back to 9.2 etc. I just want access to emulators and online play for real games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Brekelefuw posted:

I have a N3DS on 10.3 that is hacked with the browser exploit and ironfall.
I want to update to 10.5 so I can play online again.
What do I do to update, while still retaining access to be able to boot in to homebrew menu?

Update your homebrew launcher/starter kit, then upgrade to 10.5, then use webhax to boot into the homebrew launcher and install menuhax (ironhax is dead, you can't run Ironfall 1.0 on 10.4+).

If you already had menuhax installed, remember to change back to a system theme before you upgrade to 10.5.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I thought browserhax didn't work on 10.5? Or is it just the memchunkhax2 stuff that got patched? Kinda nice of nintendo to allow people to retain access to the innocuous homebrew if that's the case. Probably by accident though...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It works, I did the upgrade last Sunday.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So Nintendo's repair company decided they'd kindly update my firmware to 10.5 while they were fixing the broken LCD screens slipping on some ice caused me on my 2DS. Any chance I can downgrade my firmware back to 9.2 again? :( If Browserhax works on 10.5, what is the hiccup?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The arm9 or whatever exploit that gives you kernel level access doesn't work any more.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Wonderous. Damnit, Nintendo. I really liked my 2DS before now.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Nintendo will always update you to the latest firmware when sending in for repair. You can be pretty sure refurbished units straight from them will be on the latest firmware too.

If you want to keep your downgraded firmware you'll have to DIY it, or have a repair shop do it. I wouldn't really trust the latter to not mess around though.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, well, too late to do anything about it now. I'll just have to wait for a 10.5 downgrader. Any ideas what kind of timetable I'm staring at?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, well, too late to do anything about it now. I'll just have to wait for a 10.5 downgrader. Any ideas what kind of timetable I'm staring at?

Probably never?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Apoplexy posted:

So Nintendo's repair company decided they'd kindly update my firmware to 10.5 while they were fixing the broken LCD screens slipping on some ice caused me on my 2DS. Any chance I can downgrade my firmware back to 9.2 again? :( If Browserhax works on 10.5, what is the hiccup?

You can hard mod the system and downgrade it still. Requires soldering and that kind of fuckary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/43fj8t/wip_hardmod_users_only_an_untested_downgrade_of/

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Welp. Anyone know if any Goons sell Sky3DSes? Or if there's someone willing to lend me one for a fair reimbursement?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

flyboi posted:

You can hard mod the system and downgrade it still. Requires soldering and that kind of fuckary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/43fj8t/wip_hardmod_users_only_an_untested_downgrade_of/

This might just be what I'm looking for, thank you.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Uh, no it's not. It means you'll have one in the future, but it's pretty much guaranteed to brick your 3DS.

e: Oh wait, you can't even do this without a hardmod.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 6, 2016

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Best bet would be to buy a new 2DS at retail. I think Gamestop had them for like $55 this week?

Your chances of getting a new soft mod on 10.5+ are rather low.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Update your homebrew launcher/starter kit, then upgrade to 10.5, then use webhax to boot into the homebrew launcher and install menuhax (ironhax is dead, you can't run Ironfall 1.0 on 10.4+).

If you already had menuhax installed, remember to change back to a system theme before you upgrade to 10.5.

Thanks. That worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Colour working in my testbed, and I've started working on a touchscreen keyboard.
I might dump a test build here at some point when it's all moved over to the main app :pervert:

• Locked thread