Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

DontMindMe posted:

No, I mean the discount voucher doesn't work (27PERC-OFFXCO-M2GAME)

Ohhh. Might be too late =/

Yep. Also, drat thread moves fast. Also, gently caress, I thought it was unlocked last night at midnight and I woke up and no XCom. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trilin posted:

afaik, ironman can't be enabled with the tutorial.

it's not even an option

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Press start game without tutorial checked, should be there.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You can still force random nicknames on custom characters right?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Okay my character is back up, spelling mistake fixed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3stva8auxuc0aiq/TheIronRose.bin?dl=0

DonQuickshot
Aug 26, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

As another person on 3440x1440, I am not looking forward to hitting this at all on a single GTX 970. I turned down resolution in most other games to make it work out for me but I'm just hoping that the SLI is the problem rather than the game is murder on GPUs.

Game doesn't like high resolutions at all. Trying to play this in 3840x2160 resolution on 980Ti just leads to a slideshow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For when I make my character tonight, what class should I be

Bio: bad at strategy games, tends to charge to the front and die horribly, really likes explosions and lightning; also may or may not be a WH40K commissar

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

The Iron Rose posted:

Okay my character is back up, spelling mistake fixed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3stva8auxuc0aiq/TheIronRose.bin?dl=0

Too late.

"Resistence" is now the canon spelling in the XCOM universe. :colbert:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyways from what it looks like people need to create a character and put them in a pool of their own, before sending it to someone who will then put them in a big large character pool. I'm happy to do that if people send their characters to me at ironroseSA@gmail.com though I believe someone else said they would be down to do so as well.

E: hahaha there are three people doing this now wow

When I said I would do this yesterday, I admit I did not think there would be that much competition for the role of "person who checks boxes over and over again for several minutes and then uploads a file".

It might be worth taking a look at the file format itself in the longer term. It should conceivably be possible to automatically concatenate them, and if their code release includes the code for writing the pool files I expect it wouldn't even be that hard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

When I said I would do this yesterday, I admit I did not think there would be that much competition for the role of "person who checks boxes over and over again for several minutes and then uploads a file".

It might be worth taking a look at the file format itself in the longer term. It should conceivably be possible to automatically concatenate them, and if their code release includes the code for writing the pool files I expect it wouldn't even be that hard.

I kind of want to do that to be honest, get my C# chops on

But that would prevent me from actually playing XCOM 2

That's a tough call!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

For when I make my character tonight, what class should I be

Bio: bad at strategy games, tends to charge to the front and die horribly, really likes explosions and lightning; also may or may not be a WH40K commissar

Creating a character doesn't lock them to a class, they can show up as a rookie who can promote to anything. You can also tag them to show up in the base as an engineer/scientist or in missions as a VIP.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I kind of want to do that to be honest, get my C# chops on

But that would prevent me from actually playing XCOM 2

That's a tough call!!!

Is it though? :twisted:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Advent leaders have grenades, it's not fair

(rip half my starting squad)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here's my guy.

http://bit.ly/GyoruXC2

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zore posted:

Creating a character doesn't lock them to a class, they can show up as a rookie who can promote to anything. You can also tag them to show up in the base as an engineer/scientist or in missions as a VIP.

I was led to understand you can also choose a class for them for the purpose of pre-promoted soldiers, like in mission rewards?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is it though? :twisted:

It is!! I've wanted a personal programming project to set my chops on for a long time, doing it just for work is lame as hell. But I also want to play XCOM 2!

RARGH!

(edit) I'll probably start looking at the file formats when the game inevitably makes me ragequit, that seems like a solid compromise :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I've pretended to be Australian long enough...here we go :getin:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Stuck in class for another four hours, plus the commute home. Gonna die of anticipation while my teacher spergs about epidimiology and the APA citation style :suicide:

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
527 posts since I last viewed, hell yeah. Totally going to wait until after work tomorrow to finally play but I am beyond excited

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm just gonna pretend I can't gently caress with launch options to play the game early and watch Beagle's TNX stream instead.

The hard part now is to decide if I want to play Xcom 2 tonight and never go to bed or try and fall asleep.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The tutorial is a bit more extended than EU's, spread over three missions, with the gatecrasher, where you control two rookies then bradford to get the commander. Then a mission to retrieve the power source for the avenger. Finally, a normal hit mission to set up where your headquarters will be. There are a few unique cutscenes, including one where when the commander first steps onto the bridge the alarm goes off cause he's not authorized. But you get the achievement after gatecrasher anyway, so restart if you want ironman or to immediately get into the game.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, just got to wait till 11, made up all of my lunches for the next few days, going to be tidying my room and got a nice glass of beer ready and waiting. Going to be a nice evening in.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So is there any significant long-term gameplay difference between tutorial and no? Like how in EU you'd get a free satellite but have a forced building placement

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Ciaphas posted:

It is!! I've wanted a personal programming project to set my chops on for a long time, doing it just for work is lame as hell. But I also want to play XCOM 2!

RARGH!

Right now there's a lot of enthusiasm and manual labor available to do all this stuff by hand. Later in the game's lifecycle that might not be the case, so your efforts might be more valuable then.

In other words, go play XCOM.

Semi-related: since I already got asked this in PMs, if for some reason you are unable to get to the character generator or feel you are bad at it, but still want to be in the goonpool, I'll make a character for you this evening, time permitting. The most relevant pieces of information would be:

1) Character name (could be your real name, or just some pseudonym, doesn't matter as long as it looks vaguely real)
2) Your username.
3) General appearance you want for the character. Obviously there are only so many customization options, so, you know. Get the skin and hair color in there, at least.
4) Attitude: Normal, Laid Back, Twitchy, Happy-Go-Lucky, Hard Luck, Intense, or By The Book.
5) Major/minor colors for armor and color for weapons (three colors total).
6) Nationality. Doesn't need to be your real one, of course, will pick the closest available country.
7) Which things the character could show up as (soldier, VIP, dark VIP).

Probably best to request that in PM or e-mail rather than putting them in the thread since it's too easy to miss them.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 5, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is there any significant long-term gameplay difference between tutorial and no? Like how in EU you'd get a free satellite but have a forced building placement

There is some important story stuff so just play it

Also this game rocks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am playing the tutorial but if going non-tutorial gives a gameplay benefit....

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Has anyone looked into what it takes to make a mod? I was curious how difficult it would be to make melee attacks have a 100% hit chance.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SeaTard posted:

Has anyone looked into what it takes to make a mod? I was curious how difficult it would be to make melee attacks have a 100% hit chance.

Not to worry, it seems that upgraded blades always hit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Successful Shot Percentage: 100.00% **NEW RECORD**

:geno: Well now what game?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I didn't expect Council Dude to actually take up a weapon and fight, instead of just using his awesome voice to talk. A true hero. o7

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

Right now there's a lot of enthusiasm and manual labor available to do all this stuff by hand. Later in the game's lifecycle that might not be the case, so your efforts might be more valuable then.

In other words, go play XCOM.

Sounds like a plan to me :v:

I had this rather sudden, grandiose idea for a systray app that monitors wherever saved character files go, and automatically uploads them to some central server, categorized by user name with lots of tagging and grouping options. You would be able to pick characters from the site like a shopping cart, and create a character pool you can download and import. I know I could eventually do the client part, but I am hot loving garbage at web programming (I don't even know what the favorite web programming languages are nowadays), so it'd be an interesting learning experience anyway.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So if you do the tutorial, does it go from the Commander Rescue straight to Operation Gatecrasher?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'm definitely pleased that Ironman isn't even an option after all the :smug: Ironman is the only way to play, prole :smug: chat earlier

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Pretty sure you get the popup for Ironman once you start the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HenryEx posted:

I didn't expect Council Dude to actually take up a weapon and fight, instead of just using his awesome voice to talk. A true hero. o7

Please be real, and let him also do it while still wearing a suit.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Game needs a mod to see hack values of characters during a battle, unless I'm missing a way to see people's stats.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hey can somebody notify this thread when Beags is on. I would have watched Jamball but she's far into the campaign and I don't want spoilers from endgame.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Totally want to make Roland Deschain, the gunslinger from the Dark Tower series, and whatever other storybook soldier characters I can think of for Xcom.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DeathSandwich posted:

So if you do the tutorial, does it go from the Commander Rescue straight to Operation Gatecrasher?

I'm not sure what you mean. The tutorial mission is where you rescue the commander (You). Is Gatecrasher a different mission on non-tutorial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe I glossed this over, but do you get to choose the class your Rookies evolve into in this iteration?