Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

The sphere grid is pretty much a straight line at this point, there isn't that much he can do wrong there right now.

You'd be surprised, people were complaining that he missed stuff in earlier videos.

You can also straight up teleport onto other people's lines with certain spheres. I actually made the mistake of doing that on my first playthrough even though it's a bad idea until lategame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Andrast posted:

The sphere grid is pretty much a straight line at this point, there isn't that much he can do wrong there right now.

He forgot to activate some nodes when he reached the one before them in the first parts, so it's definitely helping avoid getting people riled up over stuff.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jeff Gerstman literally was confused about the sphere grid because he didn't see the beginning tutorial.

People sometimes severely overestimate how easy or simple rpgs are.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Jeff Gerstman literally was confused about the sphere grid because he didn't see the beginning tutorial.

People sometimes severely overestimate how easy or simple rpgs are.

The sphere grid is just something that looks more complicated than it actually is.

Anyway, there are still plenty of other mechanics that Matt and Woolie don't really understand/utilize properly for people to complain about if they are so inclined. I'm not really sure why some people except optimal play or deep understanding of the mechanics in a blind LP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sphere grid is just "follow the lines" when you boil it down but that does not by any stretch mean it isn't real stupid

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Matt, here's a mid-late game tip: Go to a tutorial battle option on any panel you see in like an inn or something. Use Yuna, summon your Aeons and let them get hit to charge their overdrives.

That's the fastest way to spam close to 9999's with each Aeon and it takes up an enemy's turn to kill off your Aeon. No one comes close to matching Yuna's damage output for basically until the end of the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Matt, here's a mid-late game tip: Go to a tutorial battle option on any panel you see in like an inn or something. Use Yuna, summon your Aeons and let them get hit to charge their overdrives.

That's the fastest way to spam close to 9999's with each Aeon and it takes up an enemy's turn to kill off your Aeon. No one comes close to matching Yuna's damage output for basically until the end of the game.

Yeah, getting the overdrives up for every Aeon before a boss fight and then just unloading all of them at the boss is pretty much the best way to handle most bosses in the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Counterpoint: It's also super lame.

I wanna see Seymour Flux in all his stupid glory dammit :argh:

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

The sphere grid is just "follow the lines" when you boil it down but that does not by any stretch mean it isn't real stupid

Remember when RPGs would just increase your stats when you level up. What a piece of poo poo system that is. gently caress off Persona.

The Sphere grid is fine and it lets you do bullshit later which is kind of neat like using friend spheres to get a weird move on someone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Now instead of giving you 1% higher chance to inflict a status effect when you level up, the game makes you do it yourself! What a revolutionary system!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Every time I hear mention or discussion of the Sphere Grid, my mind is just immediately reminded of Digital Devil Saga and how both of those games' Mantra Grids are just better in every way.

Hell, DDS1 was just a series of small straight lines instead of one long line, and it's still way more compelling.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

Beyo is rad, Corrin is cool. Smash 4 rules. Liam drools.

I bought the whole bundle even though I kinda thought mii costumes were dumb, but now I have a suckles and blails preset. I'm hoping my friends get a kick out of them. I had a laugh when someone picked the Hank Hill gunner that I totally forgot I made.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Geez, Woolie screaming because Titus was the voice of reason during the Macalania Temple scene was great.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Woolie gonna back down hard when his whole complaint about showing the sphere is completely negated.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I forget, how is it negated exactly?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tae posted:

Woolie gonna back down hard when his whole complaint about showing the sphere is completely negated.

he still has a point about everyone just standing there like morons though, and that Titus is the only one who brings up "uh we're not the bad guys here" while they're like WHAT HAVE WE DONE

and yeah, the Sphere Grid is just pointless faux-customization. To be fair though I do prefer it over the "anyone can do anything" approach which takes all the uniqueness out of everyone super hard. The super-customization method can work too but it needs to be interchangeable or have clear dividing lines.

DDS1 probably isn't the best comparison to make, that ability system was grindy as gently caress. It would've worked way better if every ability didn't cost a million billion dollars, but I don't know how you'd balance it if that was the case. Interesting attempt though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

The guado don't give a gently caress about seymour doing patricide. Racism is a thing among all Spira races. Guados' whole deal is that they were very, very recently integrated into the Yevon society which was what the dead dad was talking about. To them, it's just those pesky humans killing their race yet again.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yinlock posted:

he still has a point about everyone just standing there like morons though, and that Titus is the only one who brings up "uh we're not the bad guys here" while they're like WHAT HAVE WE DONE

I don't know, this is a bit like the President's trying to kill you and you kill him first, then White House security shows up and at the end of the day you killed the loving President with your only proof being a video of his dad saying "my kid? yeah he's evil, you should murder him".

Shame Anima's overdrive didn't get shown off, hopefully Matt will do the relevant sidequest later on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ConanThe3rd posted:

Tromell destroys the sphere the second Rikku brings it up

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Shame Anima's overdrive didn't get shown off, hopefully Matt will do the relevant sidequest later on.

He's not. That would require him to enjoy the chambers of the fayth puzzles and fight super bosses in this version since he already missed a few which he's already said he's not going to do.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I don't think they can even get Anima anymore. At least not without a ton of grinding or abuse of the monster arena.
Now it's straight to Bikanel + Bevelle and at this point Dark Valefor might start blocking off Besaid temple, where they didn't bother getting the destruction sphere. And while Dark Valefor is one of the easiest of the super bosses, it still requires an endgame ready party and I doubt they want to bother with any of that poo poo. If they happen to not get the destruction sphere in Macalania it's even worse than that because Dark Shiva is ten times worse than Dark Valefor.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 4, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phantasium posted:

He's not. That would require him to enjoy the chambers of the fayth puzzles and fight super bosses in this version since he already missed a few which he's already said he's not going to do.

The only major optional content I can see them doing is getting Yojimbo since that is fairly simple and doesn't require anything else than going to the right place.

Zwiebel posted:

I don't think they can even get Anima anymore at this point. Now it's straight to Bikanel + Bevelle and at this point Dark Valefor might start blocking off Besaid temple, where they didn't bother getting the destruction sphere. And while Valefor is one of the easiest of the super bosses, it still requires an endgame ready party and I doubt they want to bother with any of that poo poo.

They could always instantly kill it with Yojimbo but that is a moot point since they aren't going to do it.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 4, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A couple of the ultimate weapons are super easy to get, but Yuna seriously gets overpowered by the endgame as she can solo random fights with her Aeons.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

If they happen to not get the destruction sphere in Macalania it's even worse than that because Dark Shiva is ten times worse than Dark Valefor.

They didn't.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hhhmmm the Seymour/Constantine connection is actually pretty solid.

Seymour vs Constantine:

Child of two different races vs Child of pagan warlord and his Christian wife/concubine
Worships mother/Mother is literally saint
Bizarro intepretation of religion/Couldn't keep straight whether he was a Christian or not
Ruthless climb to the top/Ruthless climb to the top
Kills own father/Kills own son WHAT THE gently caress Constantine

In conclusion, Seymour is more well adjusted than Constantine the Great.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
I completely ignored the sphere grid until sinspawn gui

that being said, all the cool poo poo you can do with the sphere grid takes an incredible amount of grinding and it's not really worth it.

Mesothelioma fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 4, 2016

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mesothelioma posted:

I completely ignored the sphere grid until sinspawn gui

that being said, all the cool poo poo you can do with the sphere grid takes an incredible amount of grinding and it's not really worth it.

Not really, unless you're fleeing from every fight and doing a low level run then by the time you hit the "endgame" you will have started Yuna and Tidus down Lulu and Auron's paths, respectively, thus breaking the rest of the game over your knee with how strong they become.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TriffTshngo posted:

Not really, unless you're fleeing from every fight and doing a low level run then by the time you hit the "endgame" you will have started Yuna and Tidus down Lulu and Auron's paths, respectively, thus breaking the rest of the game over your knee with how strong they become.

Yeah playing the remastered version I got everyone to the end of their line really early on (around Home) and if you just actually use Rikku for what she's initially there for (Steal/Mug and Bribe) you can get some real rear end poo poo going really early.

Also the coolest thing you can do with the Sphere grid you can do right at the start and that's Send Yuna down Lulu's path and vice versa. Black mage Yuna is a damage Goddess.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 5, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah playonig the remastered version I got everyone to the end of their line really early on (around Home) and if you just actually use Rikku for what she's initially there for (Steal/Mug and Bribe) you can get some real rear end poo poo going really early.

Also the coolest thing you can do with the Sphere grid you can do right at the start and that's Send Yuna down Lulu's path and vice versa. Black mage Yuna is a damage Goddess.

It also makes her Aeons' overdrives really loving strong since their overdrive damage is based on Yuna's Magic stat.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 4, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm glad they aren't doing the dark aeons fight's because every video I've seen makes the fights seem overly long and boring.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I mean if Matt is going to get Yojimbo and wants to show off his sweet moves, he could just Zanmoto both Dark Valefor and Dark Shiva

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The worst part about the FFX LP are mostly battles, why would you want more of that

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
I shoulda just been a Let's Watch.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
"I'm just going to go through the main story."

"Okay, but what about this annoying side quest?"

"But what about this balls hard optional boss?"

"Okay but what about these optional super weapons?"

*sigh*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But is he just going to go through the main story???

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CJacobs posted:

I don't think so.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a 102% complete playthrough.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
You're telling me there's an upside-down castle you gotta fight the REAL Sin in!?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheRealestMatt posted:

I shoulda just been a Let's Watch.

Nah it's good. I'm just worried you guys are gonna hit a wall but you'll probably be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

pulp rag posted:

You're telling me there's an upside-down castle you gotta fight the REAL Sin in!?

You're not far off....