Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Keep in mind cards that can produce any color of mana like Birds of Paradise can still attempt to make mana outside of your Commander's identity, which will result in ♦ valid for Thought-Knot Seer's casting cost. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is also legal in any deck as it isn't actually black, and in a nonblack deck like Wildborn it'll give every land the ability to tap for ♦.

iirc they just changed this rule and urborg will generate B and not C regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Colorless is not a color, same as before. Thought-Knot Seer specifically asks for colorless mana but the absence of a color identity is not the same thing as a color identity in absence. Its as colorless as Skullclamp.

Keep in mind cards that can produce any color of mana like Birds of Paradise can still attempt to make mana outside of your Commander's identity, which will result in ♦ valid for Thought-Knot Seer's casting cost. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is also legal in any deck as it isn't actually black, and in a nonblack deck like Wildborn it'll give every land the ability to tap for ♦.

They specifically just changed this rule.

Birds can be tapped for B or W for whatever reason if you're playing Animar. Sen Triplets can take mountains and forests out of hands and use them to cast red and green spells as well.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Colorless is not a color, same as before. Thought-Knot Seer specifically asks for colorless mana but the absence of a color identity is not the same thing as a color identity in absence. Its as colorless as Skullclamp.

Not anymore. That rule changed with the latest update. YOu can now generate mana outside your color identity.

Edit: So beaten

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alaan posted:

Not anymore. That rule changed with the latest update. YOu can now generate mana outside your color identity.

Edit: So beaten

It was the best change because now I can free up the slot Celestial Dawn was wasting and put something better there.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

They specifically just changed this rule.

Oh so they changed it to be less fun and make it harder to play the cool new cards.

Sheldon why.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh so they changed it to be less fun and make it harder to play the cool new cards.

Sheldon why.

Because this way Sen Triplets is better altogether, you can clone things outside your color identity and not feel completely cheated, and you can put Chromatic Lantern in your decks for reasons other than "it makes my Tabernacle tap for mana". Also, there's plenty of ways to make colorless mana in EDH.

The format revolves around ramping with shittons of colorless mana.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Sheldon why.

Probably because it was a weird rule that doesn't matter 90% of the time and something that most casual players wouldn't know.

Edit: also holy poo poo when did sen triplets become a 25 dollar card.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 4, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
somebody photoshop shades and fat stacks onto praetor's grasp, now

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh so they changed it to be less fun

Actually the complete opposite of this. Now I can build Triplets or Ramirez di Pietro and not feel bad all the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

Actually the complete opposite of this. Now I can build Triplets or Ramirez di Pietro and not feel bad all the time.

If you say so. I instantly distrust anyone who expresses excitement at the prospect of Esper commanders, though.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

If you say so. I instantly distrust anyone who expresses excitement at the prospect of Esper commanders, though.

would you prefer they just play oloro

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I actually just figured out what I WANT to play in place of Celestial Dawn. It's actually Praetor's Grasp. I can cast any spell I exile now!

Thanks UberJew!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zur prison decks forever

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm legit surprised that Praetor's Grasp hasn't been the latest victim of MTGFinance bullshit with how hugely it got buffed in EDH. It's essentially Demonic Tutor for anyone else's deck as long as you're running BoP or City of Brass or something.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I'm legit surprised that Praetor's Grasp hasn't been the latest victim of MTGFinance bullshit with how hugely it got buffed in EDH. It's essentially Demonic Tutor for anyone else's deck as long as you're running BoP or City of Brass or something.

Even without that the floor was always getting a 4 mana sol ring, really it's just that Praetor's Grasp is only a fun card rather than a good card

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

UberJew posted:

Even without that the floor was always getting a 4 mana sol ring, really it's just that Praetor's Grasp is only a fun card rather than a good card

I mean I'm running a "Steal Your poo poo" flavor of Sen Triplets over "Nobody Gets To Have Fun" Control Style.

So it' a fun card and that means it goes in place of the less fun card.

I've been blown out once by Flashfires. Never again.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Madmarker posted:

ftfy, everyone knows Sphinx-Elixir was the best deck ever.

you mean the ivan floch pro tour winner one right?

that's easily the best deck in recent magic history.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

you mean the ivan floch pro tour winner one right?

that's easily the best deck in recent magic history.

That one exactly yes....man I loved playing that deck.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Madmarker posted:

That one exactly yes....man I loved playing that deck.

It rivals Maze's End as my favorite deck ever

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

It rivals Maze's End as my favorite deck ever

Turbo Gates (aka Mazes End and a bajillion fog and bounce effects) was the best standard ever hands down.

Sphinx's rev for 12.
Yeah whatever that's cool.
Okay uhh....how many gates do you have in play?
9 and 2 mazes :getin:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It was the best card when commanders could be tucked. :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Incorrect. It generates mana of the color you tapped it for now.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Casting fog and activating maze's end is a feeling that cant really be replicated anywhere else

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fiend Computer posted:

Probably because it was a weird rule that doesn't matter 90% of the time and something that most casual players wouldn't know.

Edit: also holy poo poo when did sen triplets become a 25 dollar card.

With the release of OGW. Probably because of this exact change to the EDH rules.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

UberJew posted:

would you prefer they just play oloro

GeneX posted:

Zur prison decks forever

These are why I don't trust Esper decks.

Bastards, getting counterspells and a billion wraths to bother my Animar, I just wanna jack off for five minutes per turn... grumble grumble...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

These are why I don't trust Esper decks.

Bastards, getting counterspells and a billion wraths to bother my Animar, I just wanna jack off for five minutes per turn... grumble grumble...

I have like 3 counters in my Zur deck. I just cast Doomsday a lot.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Exactly. More people should build Ramirez dePietro :yarr:

Night Danger Moose posted:

It was the best card when commanders could be tucked. :allears:
Didn't actually work like that. Since you had knowledge of the card, even if it's exiled face-down, you'd have to reveal the commander and give them the option of sending it back to the zone. My L2 dreamcrushed me when I tried that.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
...Did you? I mean, the caster knows, but the owner does not have to know. You do not have to reveal it and it is not exiled face up, so...it seems like you could def. jack their commander and then just never tell them that you did.

Is it like the morph clause, where even if you win off it being face down 100% of the time, you still lose when you reveal it at end of game?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

...Did you? I mean, the caster knows, but the owner does not have to know. You do not have to reveal it and it is not exiled face up, so...it seems like you could def. jack their commander and then just never tell them that you did.

Is it like the morph clause, where even if you win off it being face down 100% of the time, you still lose when you reveal it at end of game?

I think that was one of the last rule changes to face down commanders before the no-tuck rule.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I've been wondering if there could be a Hedron Alignment deck that harkens back to the salad days of Maze's End. Not so sure it can compare, though.
I want to believe.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

just rust posted:

I've been wondering if there could be a Hedron Alignment deck that harkens back to the salad days of Maze's End. Not so sure it can compare, though.
I want to believe.

Maze's End Turbo-Fog had the assistance of a dozen fogs and an assured clock - Maze's End searched a gate every turn.

With Dig and Cruise it might not be too big of a problem to get the exlied one, but with both of your tutors even capable of getting it costing 3BB it's hard to get them all in place. Once Kahns rotates out I don't see it having hope unless something SoI is real good at exiling it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
stolen from reddit but lol check this guy out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYhVztlG5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNku1IvSfU0

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Turbo Gates (aka Mazes End and a bajillion fog and bounce effects) was the best standard ever hands down.

Sphinx's rev for 12.
Yeah whatever that's cool.
Okay uhh....how many gates do you have in play?
9 and 2 mazes :getin:

please let us go to ravnica for a 3rd time.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

oh my god that second one is incredible, the pause

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Poe's law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HObjzBnBZcA

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

just rust posted:

I want to believe.

Maze's End Turbo-Fog had the assistance of a dozen fogs and an assured clock - Maze's End searched a gate every turn.

With Dig and Cruise it might not be too big of a problem to get the exlied one, but with both of your tutors even capable of getting it costing 3BB it's hard to get them all in place. Once Kahns rotates out I don't see it having hope unless something SoI is real good at exiling it.

You asked for this. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Also Maze's End's progress towards its win condition was literally 'consistently make your land drops,' i.e. what a control deck (and most decks) wants to be doing anyway, every turn. Hedron Alignment's value prior to actually winning is... the scry, which isn't nothing, but really not anywhere near as valuable.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

this is art

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's 5 generic not 5 colorless idiot. :goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rofl

• Locked thread