Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Snark posted:

Or alternatively I can yield that the genius has in fact divined that high and low art is utterly meaningless to me, which is objectively false. Perhaps they are not my reasons for being and certainly they have minimal relevance to my self-worth but I think 'It's all just bad' is something of a gross and self-serving simplification of my opinion there, SMG.

You are entirely free to prove me wrong.

But, currently, you have not written anything about any film. You are only making a great display of non-communication. A spectacle of inaction.

Writing about a film is a feat that I have accomplished without effort, and I am not a genius. I do not even actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Red posted:

Iron Man 3 is the worst.

Tony Stark makes a bunch of terrible decisions, including outfitting himself with an untested suit of armor to battle a new villain. Hilariously, this new suit slams into his junk, fails at the worst possible times, and generally, we see Tony do his best to get rid of the thing. Because we want to see an Iron Man film with no Iron Man.

Don Cheadle is a terrible, personality-less War Machine.

Then, at the end, he gets some miracle surgery to fix his heart thing that... all of a sudden, he can just have done, instantly negating any tension/need for the Iron Man suit in the first place.

Also, it's filled with lovely generic scowling goons who are bad actors, there's a completely pointless scene where he saves tons of people who fell out of a plane (with everyone smiling and waving at the end), and the villain sucks. Oh, and Happy somehow figures out the "mystery" crime scene, that the FBI or whoever couldn't, by finding clues in plain sight.

The only redeeming part was Ben Kingsley.

gently caress Iron Man 3.

???

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
cinema sins has an account on here?!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Iron Man 2 is at the very least worse than the other Iron Man films because it starts the whole "Tony Stark (and family) is not at fault at all and any flaws are due to other people" that continues on into Age of Ultron.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Iron Man 2 is the model - ineffectual villains with their motivations edited out of the script and film, cameos galore, seamless advertisement for the next film.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
At least Iron Man 2 had Sam Rockwell.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You are entirely free to prove me wrong.

But, currently, you have not written anything about any film. You are only making a great display of non-communication. A spectacle of inaction.

Writing about a film is a feat that I have accomplished without effort, and I am not a genius. I do not even actually exist.

Agreed for the most part Sir and/or Madam Puff of Existential Mystery. That said, I dare say you have put in the effort. You're not lazy on this point- and in all fairness do a far better job of writing fiction than many of the films you have shot at or inflated with hot air. It's just I highly doubt you recognize it as fiction.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Iron Man 3 is great, but I'm not sure what it has to do with Star Wars.

Okay, maybe you can explain something to me: what exactly are these observations people are making that are so deep and complex that they must be made up? Because most of the points I've seen that get responses like this are fairly basic statements like "The Jedi are flawed". We're not exactly talking about things you need a career in film studies for. And yet whenever they're pointed out, the response is always that these ideas are so deep and so insane that only the most brilliant of geniuses could write them and only the most insightful of film scholars could understand them.

I am very unhelpful. If you can't find any examples here, I can't help you.

But to get back to the topic of the thread- has anyone determined the profound meaning of Supreme Leader Snoke in The Force Awakens? Was there a reason they had to have a name that sounds like it was stolen from a passive-aggressive English bureaucrat and the aesthetic of a retired Grendel from the animated Beowulf? Because let's be fair- it would have been absolute magic had it been Jar Jar revealed as Palpatine's ol' Master instead. Though, naturally, content to shed the insufferable voice now there is no need for ruses. No one should suffer that again.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 4, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Iron Man 2 is the model - ineffectual villains with their motivations edited out of the script and film, cameos galore, seamless advertisement for the next film.

Excellent transition back to the topic of Force Awakens.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Snoke is a very big man in a very big chair.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Snoke uses a very awkward telephone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Man 3 is the best. It's like a weird sequel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Also, TMP has very good effects. Best in the whole prequels. That isn't a diss. Those effects look great and hold up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
[Mimicking Mike & the 'Bots, when Snoke appears] Oh no! It's General Thade!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Iron Man 3 is the best. It's like a weird sequel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Every movie he's made since has been like a weird sequel to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. That's the movie where he really nailed the RDJ persona, then he did it again for Zodiac and that's when someone realized it was perfect for Stark.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Also, TMP has very good effects. Best in the whole prequels. That isn't a diss. Those effects look great and hold up.

Why are you talking about Star Trek: The Motion Picture here?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't really agree. Harry Lockheart is a ineffectual idiot who completely fails at everything. He's also insecure as gently caress. Tony Stark is a cocky, confident rear end in a top hat who actually can do poo poo but chooses not too (at first) because money is good.

cargohills posted:

Why are you talking about Star Trek: The Motion Picture here?

:confused:
um, i'm talking about Star Wars the Menaced Phantom. idiottt!!

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 4, 2016

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

CelticPredator posted:

To be fair, there are some janky ones. For example, the battle droids in the opening fights in the corridors of the Trade Federation ship don't really appear to be attached to the floor. The CGI effects in later prequels fixed those technical issues, even if you feel that their overall style is not as seamless.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snoke uses a very awkward telephone.

"HELLO? KYLO? IT'S GRANDPA SNOKE. THE SIZE BUTTON ON MY HOLO-PHONE IS STUCK CAN YOU COME FIX IT?"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Guy A. Person posted:

"HELLO? KYLO? IT'S GRANDPA SNOKE. THE SIZE BUTTON ON MY HOLO-PHONE IS STUCK CAN YOU COME FIX IT?"
Ugh, he is positively riddled with bed sores.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I don't have Spartacus and I'm not sure where my copy of Phantom Menace is so sorry about the image quality, but here's some screenshots.

For future reference, get your Star Wars screencaps here:

https://screencaps.us/category/starwars/

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Oh, nice. Thanks.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Snoke's ship must be like 4 star destroyers stacked on top of each other with an awkward hole cut out in the middle so he can walk around.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Datacron Sith makes sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In regards to the discussion over the last few pages about CinemaSins style criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

"WHAT'S THAT? YOU FOUND A GIRL? THAT'S NICE KYLO DID YOU TAKE HER SOMEWHERE NICE YET?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zoran posted:

To be fair, there are some janky ones. For example, the battle droids in the opening fights in the corridors of the Trade Federation ship don't really appear to be attached to the floor. The CGI effects in later prequels fixed those technical issues, even if you feel that their overall style is not as seamless.

I wouldn't even call that particular shot bad. It was an ambitious decision to composite the CG characters onto footage of a set with a semi-reflective floor, and it's pretty much fine. The floaty effect is due to, I think, the contrast on the shadows beneath the feet being slightly off.

What's funny, rewatching Phantom Menace for the first time in several years, is that the CG battle droids look far better than the practical rod-puppet effect used to create C3PO (though, of course, the point is that C3PO is a shambling mess). In the scene where they first confront the Jedi, many of the battle droids are visibly trembling, having trouble holding their guns steady.

When you have a better eye for practical effects - especially miniature effects - the number of them employed in the pod race scene is downright shocking.

I think people just generally don't understand what CGI is. It's easy to comprehend a hand-puppet, but when you talk about CG you get all these weird ideas. Like people see the endless green hills and, instead of assuming that it's a stylistic choice to create an alien landscape, assume that 'CGI' has somehow failed to render a generic mountainside.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

I wouldn't even call that particular shot bad. It was an ambitious decision to composite the CG characters onto footage of a set with a semi-reflective floor, and it's pretty much fine. The floaty effect is due to, I think, the contrast on the shadows beneath the feet being slightly off.

What's funny, rewatching Phantom Menace for the first time in several years, is that the CG battle droids look far better than the practical rod-puppet effect used to create C3PO (though, of course, the point is that C3PO is a shambling mess). In the scene where they first confront the Jedi, many of the battle droids are visibly trembling, having trouble holding their guns steady.

When you have a better eye for practical effects - especially miniature effects - the number of them employed in the pod race scene is downright shocking.

I think people just generally don't understand what CGI is. It's easy to comprehend a hand-puppet, but when you talk about CG you get all these weird ideas. Like people see the endless green hills and, instead of assuming that it's a stylistic choice to create an alien landscape, assume that 'CGI' has somehow failed to render a generic mountainside.

CGI chat is the most boring thing imaginable. No one's ever going to change their mind. We've seen it in this thread dozens of times. Show someone that a "janky-looking CGI effect" was actually 100% practical, and they'll just immediately pivot to "Well it still OBJECTIVELY looks like complete and total poo poo/literal N64 video game graphics (literally) and therefore it is still the movie's problem and not mine."

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The problem with CG vs practical effects is that with practical the reaction is, "WOHA! How did they do that?" Or slightly more advanced, "That combination of petroleum jelly, plaster of paris, and foam latex looks almost like a real thing!" Whereas with CG it's, "Oh yeah they did it on a computer. Computers can do anything. It's probably not even that hard."

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

porfiria posted:

The problem with CG vs practical effects is that with practical the reaction is, "WOHA! How did they do that?" Or slightly more advanced, "That combination of petroleum jelly, plaster of paris, and foam latex looks almost like a real thing!" Whereas with CG it's, "Oh yeah they did it on a computer. Computers can do anything. It's probably not even that hard."

Which is actually really funny if you have some sense of how computer graphics work, because there are many effects you can pull off practically that are ludicrously difficult to make with computers. There's a reason why television-grade computer animation almost never has billowing capes or loose, wavy hair.

For me, Fox McCloud's character model in Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube was one of those "WHOA! How did they do that?" things.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 5, 2016

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Zoran posted:

Which is actually really funny if you have some sense of how computer graphics work, because there are many effects you can pull off practically that are ludicrously difficult to make with computers. There's a reason why television-grade computer animation almost never has billowing capes or loose, wavy hair.

For me, Fox McCloud's character model in Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube was one of those "WHOA! How did they do that?" things.

Speaking of video games, hell, didn't that one Castlevania fighting game for the Wii from a couple years back totally change one of the characters' designs because properly animating her hair was way too labor- and resource-intensive?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

CGI chat is the most boring thing imaginable. No one's ever going to change their mind. We've seen it in this thread dozens of times. Show someone that a "janky-looking CGI effect" was actually 100% practical, and they'll just immediately pivot to "Well it still OBJECTIVELY looks like complete and total poo poo/literal N64 video game graphics (literally) and therefore it is still the movie's problem and not mine."

I fully encourage CGI-chat! It's either an interesting look at how designs are implemented through special effects, or it's a fascinating look into people's misconceptions, akin to T****r's astonishing misuse of the 'rule of thirds'.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I fully encourage CGI-chat! It's either an interesting look at how designs are implemented through special effects, or it's a fascinating look into people's misconceptions, akin to T****r's astonishing misuse of the 'rule of thirds'.

I cycled through Tumblr and Twitter before I figured out what that meant. :D

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

Show someone that a "janky-looking CGI effect" was actually 100% practical, and they'll just immediately pivot to "Well it still OBJECTIVELY looks like complete and total poo poo/literal N64 video game graphics (literally) and therefore it is still the movie's problem and not mine."

Correcting someone on how an effect was created doesn't change how it happens to look. Which in the prequels, is usually "badly".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

porfiria posted:

Yeah, but that's just simple ignorance.

Besides, I don't think that's a reflection of the way the average person processes a given special effect.

RBA Starblade posted:

Correcting someone on how an effect was created doesn't change how it happens to look. Which in the prequels, is usually "badly".

Something can't look "badly."

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 5, 2016

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My favorite is that the skin texture of the Kaminoans was taken from one of the animators themselves but drained of color.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
http://dovahcaine.tumblr.com/post/127731583716/darth-mail

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, but that's just simple ignorance.

Besides, I don't think that's a reflection of the way the average person processes a given special effect.

I think the average reaction these days is probably mild indifference.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

Something can't look "badly."

Sorry I should have said crappy, I lost track of my sentence structure. In any case, they're assuming the reason it looks bad is because it's cgi.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

You need to be far more specific.

Definitions of 'bad' have so far ranged from "critical of Hera-worship" to "the wrong kind of grass".

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

You need to be far more specific.

Definitions of 'bad' have so far ranged from "critical of Hera-worship" to "the wrong kind of grass".

The prequels were definitely insufficiently reverant to Hera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Give Hera some space yo

• Locked thread