Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

big scary monsters posted:

Which is kinda ironic because in yet a third meaning of the word, table salt is inorganic while the much hated and widely considered unhealthy monosodium glutamate is in fact (an) organic salt.

msg is great to add to stews/soups/sauces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tesseraction posted:

I thought that whole point of a salt is that it's half organic, half-inorganic. Or do you mean naturally-occuring?

Organic in that sense is just (almost) any compound containing carbon.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I buy organic Heinz ketchup and organic Weetabix.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

msg is great to add to stews/soups/sauces

I don't want lots more MSG 5 chat that was really loving boring

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I thought that whole point of a salt is that it's half organic, half-inorganic. Or do you mean naturally-occuring?

A salt is any compound composed of positive and negative ions you get if you react an acid and a alkali together. Eg: Hydrocholoric acid + Sodium Hydroixde = Sodium chloride (table salt) + water. Neither of its components has to be organic (you do get organic salts though, like sodium ethanoate)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes, but sodium chloride is half organic (Chlorine) and half inorganic (Sodium). I suppose what I meant was that the cations are provided by metals and the anions by non-metals, as opposed to organic/inorganic which refers to the chemistry of those relative metal classifications.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
If you get elected police commissioner and don't outsource law enforcement to a sociopath local billionaire vigilante you're doing it wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chlorine isn't organic, organic chemistry is generally hydrocarbons.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

This: an organic compound is generally just one with carbon in it, somewhere.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol apparently "organic" salt just doesn't have iodine or anticaking agents

good luck with ur giant clumps of salt and thyroid cancer in the nuclear wastleand, hippies

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, but sodium chloride is half organic (Chlorine) and half inorganic (Sodium). I suppose what I meant was that the cations are provided by metals and the anions by non-metals, as opposed to organic/inorganic which refers to the chemistry of those relative metal classifications.
You can actually get organic cations, eg methylammonium ([MeNH3]+), although there aren't (many) metal anions because their whole thing is not liking electrons.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 4, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

The halogens are definitely part of organic chemistry. Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine pop up in plenty of organic chemistry.

I'm rusty as gently caress on it but I did do Chemistry to A-level.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nothing to seehere posted:

This: an organic compound is generally just one with carbon in it, somewhere.

Well yes, but unless the human body is solely diamond and graphite I'm guessing we have other things in there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's kind of a silly distinction being originally based on the idea that organic chemicals could only be created by living things and inorganic chemicals could be made by reactions in a lab. Then in the early 19th century some German guy made a piss in his lab and then Germany spent the next 100 years dominating org. chem.

But yeah the distinction is mainly that org. chem. is concerned with carbon atoms and the myriad different functional groups that can attach to them, and attracts a lot of guys with beards.

e:

Tesseraction posted:

The halogens are definitely part of organic chemistry. Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine pop up in plenty of organic chemistry.

I'm rusty as gently caress on it but I did do Chemistry to A-level.
Yeah, the halogens are one of those types of functional groups, so they're part of org. chem. when they're bonded to a carbon. Chloroform (trichloromethane) is organic. Sodium chloride is inorganic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As reagents or as components of complex hydrocarbons yes, but not as a necessary part of the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_chemistry

Guavanaut posted:

It's kind of a silly distinction being originally based on the idea that organic chemicals could only be created by living things and inorganic chemicals could be made by reactions in a lab. Then in the early 19th century some German guy made a piss in his lab and then Germany spent the next 100 years dominating org. chem.

But yeah the distinction is mainly that org. chem. is concerned with carbon atoms and the myriad different functional groups that can attach to them, and attracts a lot of guys with beards.

It is true that Organic Chemistry is rather a nebulous distinction because there's nothing overly special about it, hydrocarbon chemistry might be a better term because that tends to produce painfully complicated molecules.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well it was more to do with covalent bonds vs. ionic bonds, but the distinction does melt down with more complicated compounds, I agree.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Halogens do pop up all over the place in organic chemistry, but then so do metals.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right, but I suppose my question was how monosodium glutamate is organic given it's a salt, which is ionically bonded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

D block supremacy colourful ions err'day.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Tesseraction posted:

Right, but I suppose my question was how monosodium glutamate is organic given it's a salt, which is ionically bonded.
Glutamate is an organic anion.

e: the thing below is a representation of its structure. Each vertex that isn't tagged with a letter represents one carbon atom. See how it has a long chain of such vertices? That, loosely, is what makes it organic.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 4, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Cos the glutamate bit is an amino acid which is a hydrocarbon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

XMNN posted:

lol apparently "organic" salt just doesn't have iodine or anticaking agents

good luck with ur giant clumps of salt and thyroid cancer in the nuclear wastleand, hippies

Put dried peas in it, that'll stop it clumping (in theory) and also make it, like, double organic (probably)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right, but it ionically bonds, which has always been the defining thing of inorganic chemistry, I mean like even going from the wikipedia page on 'inorganic chemistry' brings up salts almost immediately https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inorganic_chemistry#Key_concepts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw that dumb pink himalaya salt in the shop.

Like, I can purify salt, I am actually qualified to do that, it doesn't matter what salt you use, if you don't break out the fancy glassware your salt isn't pure. Especially not if it's loving pink.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Many inorganic species are salts, but plenty are not - for example, chlorine gas is certainly inorganic but not a salt. You can even have inorganic compounds that have quite a lot of carbon in them, like tetrakis(triphenylphosphine)palladium(0).

AMA palladium catalysis. Or, you know, don't

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Right, but it ionically bonds, which has always been the defining thing of inorganic chemistry, I mean like even going from the wikipedia page on 'inorganic chemistry' brings up salts almost immediately https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inorganic_chemistry#Key_concepts
If either of the ions is organic it gets called an organic salt though. Like if all the bonds within that particular ion are covalent and involve a carbon backbone, except for one that gains or loses an electron to the other ion.

There are very few things with clear cut lines, and there are some bonds that are elongated to the point of almost being ionic but are kinda covalent too, but they have to be labeled otherwise we get into metalinguistics or random grunting sounds. Or both.

e: Palladium is cool.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tbf its a p good question, it is ionically bonded and conceptually sodium chloride is fairly similar to sodium acetate except one has a much bigger and more complex anion (and different crystal structures etc obv

the answer is that chemistry is mostly held together by spit and convention and that goes doubly for the distinction between physical, organic and inorganic chemistry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IUPAC holds a royal rumble every decade and the winner gets to decide which branch gets supremacy.

Organic chemistry held the title belt during the last championship by elbow dropping inorganic chemistry through a titration stand.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tesseraction posted:

"Organic" vs "Inorganic" isn't "Covalent" vs "Ionic", which you learn after A-level is a massive oversimplification in any case.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fair enough, I guess the overwhelming majority of the compound is organic. Ahh, this is why I wish my teacher hadn't died mid-term. RIP C00l PhD Teach

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Organic" vs "Inorganic" isn't "Covalent" vs "Ionic", which you learn after A-level is a massive oversimplification in any case.

I know, I addressed that in an earlier post, but I always tended to work with 'mostly ionic for inorg' vs. 'mostly covalent for org' with special cases from time to time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

All organic compounds contain carbon, but after that all bets are off. It's an entirely arbitrary distinction, and only really survives because the chemistry of hydrocarbons, amino acids and the like is so important a field it gets given a name to distinguish it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I like biology because you can settle arguments like this by flicking bits of kidney at people until they stop arguing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

IUPAC holds a royal rumble every decade and the winner gets to decide which branch gets supremacy.
And the shouting noises are recorded and used to revise IUPAC nomenclature.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

And the shouting noises are recorded and used to revise IUPAC nomenclature.

I think IUPAC and Germany should team up and put the esszets they took out of German into IUPAC nomenclature.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I like biology because you can settle arguments like this by flicking bits of kidney at people until they stop arguing.
youre not allowed to do this in chemistry labs because youll set people on fire

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you really want to get into it we can start talking about orbital hybridisation, perturbation theory and band structure :getin:

OwlFancier posted:

You can do that in chemistry too if you're hardcore enough

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If you get elected police commissioner and don't outsource law enforcement to a sociopath local billionaire vigilante you're doing it wrong.

Batman?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

Still possibly less unpleasant than being doused in yeast water.

But then the chemistry student will smash a bottle of glacial ethanoic acid over your head and you will regret it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can do that in chemistry too if you're hardcore enough

just don't use benzine

that's how my teacher died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

XMNN posted:

my favourite thing in lessons was when someone hosed up their reflux reaction and created a towering inferno

• Locked thread