Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
BC is taking some tweets from Snyder as confirmation that he's moving to Detective Comics although I'm not so sure about that. The whole exchange is about his time with Capullo in the title and how he wants to enjoy the time they have left there. He did mention a huge new project with Capullo around six months from now though.

Also, BC is reporting that Marc Silvestri will be taking over art duties in Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If he's been working on it for over a year, it probably wouldn't be the main title.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dario the Wop posted:

Thanks dude!
once upon a time, the idea of topping Year One was blasphemy.

Still is. Year One is something that Snyder will never top.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Teenage Fansub posted:

If he's been working on it for over a year, it probably wouldn't be the main title.

Not only that, but Silvestri couldn't manage the deadlines for a monthly title if his life depended on it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

A Jeff Lemire Batman book would be cool. Get the artist from his Animal Man run, have it be some kind of serial killer mystery I'm all for it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Alhazred posted:

Still is. Year One is something that Snyder will never top.

But none of his stories are even trying to be a mob crime story?

I think it sucks that his critics are always throwing the "he's no Frank Miller" argument at him. He's not trying to be.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Veg posted:

I think it sucks that his critics are always throwing the "he's no Frank Miller" argument at him. He's not trying to be.

I think he's talking in the terms of definitive 'First Batman Story'.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think he's talking in the terms of definitive 'First Batman Story'.
Exactly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Veg posted:

Scott Snyder is not an insane racist, no.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone complaining about Zero Year didn't read it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone complaining about Zero Year didn't read it.

The middle act of Zero Year (Dark City) could've been reduced for the benefit of the plot as whole.

Anyways, Capullo confirms Snyder is also off Batman

https://twitter.com/GregCapullo/status/691002645293744128

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Red Hood One stuff is the weakest part of Zero Year, it's way too on the nose and he already talks like Snyder's awful Joker from Death of the Family. I can forgive this because Zero Year is otherwise fantastic.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
We are Robin was pretty good and heart wrenching this week. I didn't really follow Robin War so I'm glad I didn't need to to enjoy this week's WaR and Grayson. Both comics were excellent and I am looking forward to the new arcs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, Grayson straight up ignored the big reveal for Dick that it's own writer put at the end of Robin War. He joins the Court of Owls.

Not that I'm mad. Maybe the plot is on the backburner till King and Seeley come back after whatever Rebirth is, but this one was incredibly fun.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 28, 2016

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Hey guys, talking with a friend I remembered seeing on here a comic where batman was an older guy that used guns and shot criminals constantly, was a mini or something. Any ideas? My google-fu is proving weak.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, Grayson straight up ignored the big reveal for Dick that it's own writer put at the end of Robin War. He joins the Court of Owls.

Not that I'm mad. Maybe the plot is on the backburner till King and Seeley come back after whatever Rebirth is, but this one was incredibly fun.
I'm betting this is the whole "story over continuity" thing. Grayson will continue being its own thing and the end of Robin War will be addressed in a different book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It'd sure be weird if that was the case.

King wrote the Robin War bookends and the second to last Grayson was a chapter in it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Hey guys, talking with a friend I remembered seeing on here a comic where batman was an older guy that used guns and shot criminals constantly, was a mini or something. Any ideas? My google-fu is proving weak.

Possibly meaning the Flashpoint story.

They made a movie out of it, Flashpoint Paradox, it's amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Veg posted:

Possibly meaning the Flashpoint story.

They made a movie out of it, Flashpoint Paradox, it's amazing.

Or the Earth 2 Batman

I assume the Court of Owls thing will come up when he tries to get Spyral and the owls to destroy each other.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Another BC rumor

quote:

I understand from multiple parties that Tom King, writer of Grayson, Omega Men, Sheriff Of Babylon, Futurama and The Vision comics, is favourite at DC Comics to take the reigns. When I least heard, it wasn’t quite locked down, but it was expected to happen by all parties.

Ex-CIA operative King, though relatively new to comic books, has had an impressive run of work so far and is one of Scott Snyder’s gang at DC Comics. Tom King working on Batman while Snyder works on Detective Comics has been described to me as akin to Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen working in simpatico together on Star Wars and Darth Vader, basically in and out of the other’s pockets…

Indeed, maybe that’s the better analogy to make. Batman is DC’s Star Wars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I already said it once in the thread. I'm so loving down for Tom King batman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Batman Europe was FANTASTIC

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Azzarello gets to write more Batman down the line, he gets the characters a lot better that many other writers. Hell, he even brought master planner Bane back!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batman Europe was FANTASTIC

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Azzarello gets to write more Batman down the line, he gets the characters a lot better that many other writers. Hell, he even brought master planner Bane back!

Hasn't Azzarello written a decent amount of Batman? The only thing of his I've read is Batman/Deathblow which... well it looks loving amazing, but I could not follow the story. I liked the concept, but I don't know if I needed to know more about Deathblow to understand it or if it's just a tangled web of double crosses and triple crosses that confused me, or both.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

catlord posted:

Hasn't Azzarello written a decent amount of Batman? The only thing of his I've read is Batman/Deathblow which... well it looks loving amazing, but I could not follow the story. I liked the concept, but I don't know if I needed to know more about Deathblow to understand it or if it's just a tangled web of double crosses and triple crosses that confused me, or both.

He wrote Broken City and currently Dark Knight 3

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Whoever wrote this week's Eternal cribbed a section from Return of the Joker JLU Epilogue hard.

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 4, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

Whoever wrote this week's Eternal cribbed a section from Return of the Joker hard.

I think you mean JLU Epilogue

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

bobkatt013 posted:

I think you mean JLU Epilogue

drat it you are correct

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly I feel like this reveal was meant to be shocking and unforeseeable, even though people have been calling the twist since as early as issue 12 or 13 when we learned Cass' first kill was some random woman.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Could someone spoil it for those of us not reading Eternal?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Could someone spoil it for those of us not reading Eternal?

A villain named Mother orphans children to raise and program into child soldiers. We've been teased this whole time that one of Batman's helpers was one of these kids, ordered for him (In flashbacks, to investigate her, Bruce was pretending to be looking for a replacement for Dick) Was it Tim?! Nope, Harper! :toot:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even know who that is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't even know who that is.

There's this comic called Batman. It's pretty good.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

She's a good guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That does seem pretty cool.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stop giving good guys guns in batman.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

they have an out with tranquilizers or other sci-fi mumbo jumbo, but yeah I agree with you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone in comics should be shooting zap guns.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Norns posted:

Stop giving good guys guns in batman.

On the one hand, I'm not a fan of gun culture, and love that the world's most popular street vigilante superhero simply does not use guns. On the other hand, I like to think that Batman's whole thing is taking shadows and fear and uncertainty and isolation—all the things that hurt him in his origin—and using them to protect people. He's there to say "These things are on your side, now. No more children need to be be hurt or scared by them". Batman exists, in part, to make sure no one else has his trauma.

When he adopted Dick Grayson, Bruce Wayne let him live a whole childhood of defeating the sort of people who killed the Flying Graysons. Becoming Robin gave that kid the only sort of therapy a broken-rear end Bat-mind could supply: control, power, and the ability to straight up laugh at everything that might hurt him. Batman raised that kid to have none of the fears and weird compulsions that Bruce Wayne never got over.

On some level, I think that every Batman sidekick who is at least comfortable around guns, is a success story for ol' Bruce. Not that they should want to use them, but, hey. I'm not making the editorial decisions on that stuff.

e: I'm a serious man and no fan of fun culture, either, but I corrected that to gun culture above.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 5, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Old Batman comics have indicated that learning to use firearms has been a part of Bruce's training, even showing him teaching the skill to various Robins as they prepare for their vigilante debuts.

All of Harper's stuff is tazers and techno-babble though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Squizzle posted:

On the one hand, I'm not a fan of gun culture, and love that the world's most popular street vigilante superhero simply does not use guns. On the other hand, I like to think that Batman's whole thing is taking shadows and fear and uncertainty and isolation—all the things that hurt him in his origin—and using them to protect people. He's there to say "These things are on your side, now. No more children need to be be hurt or scared by them". Batman exists, in part, to make sure no one else has his trauma.

When he adopted Dick Grayson, Bruce Wayne let him live a whole childhood of defeating the sort of people who killed the Flying Graysons. Becoming Robin gave that kid the only sort of therapy a broken-rear end Bat-mind could supply: control, power, and the ability to straight up laugh at everything that might hurt him. Batman raised that kid to have none of the fears and weird compulsions that Bruce Wayne never got over.

On some level, I think that every Batman sidekick who is at least comfortable around guns, is a success story for ol' Bruce. Not that they should want to use them, but, hey. I'm not making the editorial decisions on that stuff.

e: I'm a serious man and no fan of fun culture, either, but I corrected that to gun culture above.

• Locked thread