Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Fox posted:

Alex has been professing his love for ATS on twitter and has Jeff playing too, so it's pretty much a lock we're getting one.

As much as Beast's QLs tend to be poor, unfocused, rambling messes, I think that's exactly why they should handle this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Cojawfee posted:

Transmission talk
I figured out how to float going up, but down is still impossible for me without some kind of shifter feedback and without the ability to really pre-select.

My problem floating up through the gears was that, in a real transmission, you want to pull the shifter out of gear exactly as you release the gas, really putting pressure on it well before you even start to release the gas. If you do that in game, it over-revs and takes forever to fall (read: GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND) back into gear. In this game, if I release the gas a split second before pulling the shifter out of gear, the timing is pretty easy after a few tries.

I hate how this game models it as your driver pulling with all of his force on the shifter if the timing wasn't right, rather than just putting some pressure toward the next gear and waiting for it to drop in. Oh well.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Am I dumb or is this game missing 7 lane gridlock on the 405 fwy? Where is the 405, the 101? Also, wasn't 10 the Santa Monica Fwy, did it always run out to the desert?

I lived in LA a lifetime ago, so I might be misremembering...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I assumed that all these trucks just have synchronized transmissions and effectively drive it like I drive my car, which has been working fine. I haven't tried double clutching or floating as it seems unnecessary, and honestly I'm kinda going from muscle memory anyways because I've been driving a stick car for about 20 years. Should I actually be trying to treat it like a non-synchronized transmission and learn how to do that?

Edit: ^^^^ Ignore real roads, it'll just lead to frustration. All the roads in this game are a vague facsimile of the real roads if they were described by someone who once looked at a map a few years ago but has never been in the area.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
I, too, have been driving it like a stick Civic. What is drifting and dropping nonsense?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit: ^^^^ Ignore real roads, it'll just lead to frustration. All the roads in this game are a vague facsimile of the real roads if they were described by someone who once looked at a map a few years ago but has never been in the area.
Yeah, the high way that passes by not too far from my house is just a regular road in the game. It doesn't even connect to the right intersection.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Get your Vegies here!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny little thing I noticed: by default, the game uses backwards US units with miles, Fahrenheit, gallons and so on. But when you run low on diesel, the game advises you to find a petrol station.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 5, 2016

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Snaxx posted:

I, too, have been driving it like a stick Civic. What is drifting and dropping nonsense?

It's a thing you do with non-synchonized transmissions, which I don't think is simulated in the game.

Edit: ^^^ Considering they're based on the Czech Republic, I think they did a lot better than most small American companies would have trying to localize for Czech Republic.

ssb fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 5, 2016

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

I assumed that all these trucks just have synchronized transmissions and effectively drive it like I drive my car, which has been working fine. I haven't tried double clutching or floating as it seems unnecessary, and honestly I'm kinda going from muscle memory anyways because I've been driving a stick car for about 20 years. Should I actually be trying to treat it like a non-synchronized transmission and learn how to do that?

They become unsynchronized if you enable advanced shifting in the control options.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Harmburger posted:

Get your Vegies here!

gently caress wallbert lots.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

There's something really weird going on with my game for first person. I noticed that 3rd person mode gives me 10fps over 1st person and I have no idea what's causing this.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ManicJason posted:

They become unsynchronized if you enable advanced shifting in the control options.

Interesting, I didn't know that. If actual techniques don't work right, is it worth doing?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cowman posted:

There's something really weird going on with my game for first person. I noticed that 3rd person mode gives me 10fps over 1st person and I have no idea what's causing this.

The cabs are decently detailed. Is your rig poopy?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cowman posted:

Takes horsepower to render the mirrors?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Edit: Nevermind, it was a conflicting inversion of the acceleration and deceleration axis.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 5, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The cabs are decently detailed. Is your rig poopy?

rig's fine. I got a GTX 970 and an AMD Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Takes horsepower to render the mirrors?

Even if I turn the mirrors down all the way I still struggle with FPS. I dunno what's going on but it's evidently something in the cabin.

Edit: Alright, it was the mirrors. I swear I turned them all the way down before and didn't have any FPS change but whatever, I can truck!

Cowman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 5, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's the 970. A few people here with them have reported inexplicably HORRIBLE performance and a few people (myself included) have a buttery smooth experience with theirs.

I am NOT on the latest drivers.

I also have TrackIR so I only use the physical mirrors, not the PiP ones.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I have SLI 970's and it's definitely a bit wonky, I have to turn the mirrors down a fair bit to hold FPS. I also struggle near water unless I lower the reflection detail.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Has anyone else run into a glitch where there is no parking indicator. I am doing the first mission, I selected the skilled parking area, then went into options to make it always select skilled and there is no parking indicator at all.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Mirrors, depth of field, scaling above 200% - those are usually the primary culprits. Reduce all these starting with mirrors and see what happens. I wouldn't necessarily blame the 970. I'm seeing some issues on both my GTX 980Ti and my backup 3-way SLI 670. I'd love to blame nvidia, but they've actually done a fairly decent job with their recent crop of drivers. It's probably the usual SCS bollocks that will never get fixed.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I'm running a 770 Classified pushing 2560x1440 with nearly everything all the way up, and I've never seen below 60 FPS. The only way I can get the frames to dip is if I do 200% scaling or higher.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
My 970, maxed settings, 400% is doing JUST fine. I don't even see a dip in cities.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
In ETS 2 I'm getting dips to 40~50 FPS at max settings, 200% scaling, and 1440p on SLI 970s. Same in ATS with ETS 2's SLI profile.

Might be a CPU thing? Windows 10 vs. 8/7? HDD vs. SSD?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I run a single 970 and a rift, it's super smooth.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

If you've ever switched ownership from an ATI card to Nvidia make sure to do a clean uninstall of all driver components with Display Driver Uninstaller. The official ATI uninstaller will not remove all the driver components and it can cause performance problems. I had bizarrely low framerates in some games and doing a full uninstall then a reinstall of the latest drivers gained me 20-30FPS in many games.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I've been noticing while playing that the truck dashboard is a bit blurry, would that be fixed by bumping the Scaling?
I put it at 100% because I thought it meant the UI elements - like the pop ups.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Interesting, I didn't know that. If actual techniques don't work right, is it worth doing?

It's preference. Skipping more than one gear and downshifting are painful and often require me to clutch anyway, but it's worth it for me to be able to float up, especially through split gears.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

King Faraday posted:

I've been noticing while playing that the truck dashboard is a bit blurry, would that be fixed by bumping the Scaling?
I put it at 100% because I thought it meant the UI elements - like the pop ups.

Yeah, I had a terrible time reading the dashboard, went to 400% and it's crystal clear.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Doctor Meat posted:

If you've ever switched ownership from an ATI card to Nvidia make sure to do a clean uninstall of all driver components with Display Driver Uninstaller. The official ATI uninstaller will not remove all the driver components and it can cause performance problems. I had bizarrely low framerates in some games and doing a full uninstall then a reinstall of the latest drivers gained me 20-30FPS in many games.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I did switch from ATI, so I'll try this and see if it helps.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Peterbilt 389 has a lot of mod options too. Drives good especially with 800 HP. You can even go into the sleeper:

Wish you could get a bypass and not have to stop at weigh stations. Do the scales at rest areas serve any purpose cause when you go to one no options for getting weighed come up.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 5, 2016

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Dumb question time: Was in San Fran and looking for a place to sleep. There's a repair garage with a bed marked on the north side of town, but I'll be damned if I could figure out where the sleep area was. Anyone been there and know where it is?

Kammat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 5, 2016

texasmed
May 27, 2004

ManicJason posted:

edit: I also discovered that you can adjust the point at which the turn signal resets. It's always bugged me how close to center the steering wheel has to go before canceling the turn signal.

Does anyone know what this guy is talking about, because I still haven't found out what to do to modify this. Anything I search for just comes up with some keyboard control layouts or people talking about what buttons to bind where.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I just realised: there are ports in San Francisco and Oakland, even an achievement for delivering cargo to them, but none in Los Angeles. Considering that the real life Port of Los Angeles is the busiest container port in the US, this is a mystifying choice.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

texasmed posted:

Does anyone know what this guy is talking about, because I still haven't found out what to do to modify this. Anything I search for just comes up with some keyboard control layouts or people talking about what buttons to bind where.

Someone can make a mod that does it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Polygon did their impressions of ATS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXxfabOa_Gg
Not quite Giantbomb, but ehh...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Where do you redeem the steampunk paintjobs?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, still haven't figured out why the parking guide box isn't appearing for me when I make a delivery. It is moving the flag on the minimap, but not giving me the parking box, so I dont' know the exact position I need to place it. Has anyone else run into this?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
First job right out of the tutorial, get stuck behind a cop the whole way. :arghfist::mad:

I quickly modded my warp speed transmissions and engines from ETS2. Hopefully when I get my own truck I can test them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

My old ETS2 nvidia inspector settings seem to work great.

If you're going to use them, you need to add the ATS executable to the ETS profile in nvidia inspector (or just create a new one and copy all the settings over) because there's no default profile for it yet. As always, disable MLAA and Scaling in-game.

I'm going to see if I can get the Force Feedback mod working on ATS since I'd forgotten how worthless the default ffb is.

Edit: it claims it is! http://forum.scssoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=49772

Edit 2: It is! If you have one of the supported wheels you absolutely should use this.

Quoting myself for nvidia users, instead of using in-game MLAA and scaling, give this a go. I believe you'll be very happy with the results.