Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hard counter posted:

I could see that. If you looked into the article I linked, there's some discussion of pre-hygiene surgery and it gets pretty :stonklol:

Thank you Semmelweis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's also El Cid, hero of Spain's great chivalric epic The Lay of the Cid, a poem extolling the loyalty and virtue of El Cid as a great Christian hero. Even when he is unjustly treated by his king, El Cid's faith and trust in his liege never wavers. When El Cid is exiled on false charges, he still continues to fight on behalf of his liege against the Moors, eventually regaining his honor and titles through his stalwart defense of Christiandom. He sets the perfect example of an honorable Christian warrior, loyal to king and God unto death.

The good news is that El Cid is definitely an actual historical figure who did indeed fight in the Reconquista... on the Muslim side. Whoops! After being told to gently caress off by his Christian lord, the historical El Cid turned around and hired himself out as a mercenary to the Muslims, who much admired him for his many successes against the Christians. Even the honorific title the Spanish gave him is adapted from the one the Moors gave him: al Sayyid.

El Cid isn't the only chivalric hero who got a good dose of whitewashing. Over the border in France, the big epic chivalric poem is the Song of Roland, who soloed thousands of Muslims in a desperate rearguard action to protect Charlemagne's army as it retreated through the Pyrenees. At least Roland was fighting on the right side; however, there weren't any Muslims in the Pyrenees at the time. Charlemagne got bushwacked by Basques, who were really touchy about their territory and despite their Christianity weren't very happy about giant Frankish armies tromping around on their turf.

brb playing the best Age of Kings campaign again

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Cellini liked him. But Cellini was himself a cranky, angry jerk (and cold blooded killer also), so birds of a feather maybe.

Cellini got lost in the shuffle. Tell me more about this guy.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

queserasera posted:

Well, Cellini was twice accused of sodomy and only avoided a lengthy prison sentence when the Medici family stepped in for him. He also killed at least two men and was also accused of stealing the papal jewels. He also once had an attack of malaria so severe that he ended up in a raving delirium and inadvertently offended the Duke of Mantua Oh, and he loved prostitutes.

Other fun sordid bits about Renaissance artists and thinkers: Petrarch fathered at least two children while he was in minor orders and the composer Carlo Gesualdo reached his creative creative peak only after he murdered his wife, her lover and possibly his own son.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow, that makes artists today look like boring posers. We need more murder artists trained in the classical style! You know, really give the art world a shot in the arm.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wow, that makes artists today look like boring posers. We need more murder artists trained in the classical style! You know, really give the art world a shot in the arm.

Yeah, Caravaggio was more in line with the kind of stuff you'd associate with a Hip Hop artist these days: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravaggio

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

He also once had an attack of malaria so severe that he ended up in a raving delirium and inadvertently offended the Duke of Mantua

I'd say you get a pass on offending someone (even a Duke) if you're so sick you're literally delirious.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Cellinis autobiography is really good. Its basically this guy who is a paragon of virtue and a pillar of the community, etc, trying to get by and do right by everyone, but somehow there are all these evil people that hate him and try to screw him over for some reason. Poor Cellini. :allears:

Saying this sarcastically if it's not clear.

Present has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Feb 3, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

queserasera posted:

After Casanova and Richard Feynman, his memoirs are the best I've ever read. They're so ridiculous that to attempt to summarize even the juicy bits would be doing them a disservice.

As an artist, he was chiefly a gold and silver smith, and his genius in these areas brought him to the attention of some very powerful people during the extremely blingy era of the Renaissance. Unfortunately, a ton of his masterpieces ended up being eventually melted down for their precious metals and stones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benvenuto_Cellini#Lost_works

Of what remains, by far the most famous is his sculpture for the Duke of Florence, Perseus with the Head of Medusa:

One of the great things about his autobiography is that it explains in great detail how difficult and uncertain the science of creating large bronze statues was in those days. He basically had no idea whether his method would work until it did. Stuff that we take for granted in art these days had to be trailblazed by guys like Donatello and Cellini.

e: As a trivia note, the forged statue that Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole steal in How to Steal a Million was claimed to be a lost work of Cellini.

Tacky-Ass Rococco has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Feb 3, 2016

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yes, but why male models? :v:
Serious? We just told you that a moment ago.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

John Big Booty posted:

Serious? We just told you that a moment ago.

I believe he was, in fact, not being serious

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I believe it is an hour glass not a goblet. The symbolism of a time piece in these flags was essential as it was saying to the (hopefully) badly armed and manned merchantmen 'you have minutes before you don't have a choice in being attacked or not. Surrender.'

Yeah I don't know how I missed that. Skeletons and hourglasses is like death symbolism 101.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

Psst. Both posters are quoting the same movie.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Aesop Poprock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHrn_pHW2so

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Geniasis posted:

Psst. Both posters are quoting the same movie.

Well guess what Mr smart guy, so was I!

actually I don't get the reference even remotely

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well guess what Mr smart guy, so was I!

actually I don't get the reference even remotely

Greatbacon beat me to it, but it's from Zoolander.

"What is this? A center for ants??"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Zoolander is a goddamn treasure and you should watch it if you haven't.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Zoolander is a goddamn treasure and you should watch it if you haven't.

I've seen it a million times apparently I'm just going senile

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Historical fun fact: the famous "but why male models?" line in Zoolander (2001) was an ad-lib due to Ben Stiller legitimately forgetting his next line. Duchovny just rolled with it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah I don't know how I missed that. Skeletons and hourglasses is like death symbolism 101.

To be fair, the art is pretty crude what with the lower half being utterly obscured by the hand.

But pirates as you all can see loving loved symbolism. How this evolved into comedy join the dots style treasure maps now....

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

coronatae posted:

Is it too late for more Chinese eunch facts? Imperial China's greatest explorer was a court eunuch! Zheng He had a hell of a fleet at his command.

Eunuchs were incredibly powerful figures in the Forbidden City. They were allowed direct contact with the emperor and his concubines, and indeed many eunuchs befriended the royal concubines and engaged in the intrigues of the court. Bribery was another perk. Becoming an imperial eunuch could lift your whole family out of poverty, so many families scrambled to castrate their boys early in the hopes of improving their lot in life.

Zheng He had a lot of cults spring up around him in Chinese diaspora communities in the countries he visited after his death, since honoring the spirits of great men isn't exactly uncommon in Chinese folk religion. Zheng He was a Muslim though, as was much of his crew, since they were Huihui, the descendants of Islamic Arab and Persian traders who married into Chinese families. Imagine having to explain that to your jealous, monotheistic god. :v:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

WickedHate posted:

A cardinal wanted a statue of a Bacchus?

There's a story from the Avignon papacy about a Cardinal building a fake bridge over the river next to the grounds of his party that collapsed when people walked on it to the amusement of his guests.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Disinterested posted:

There's a story from the Avignon papacy about a Cardinal building a fake bridge over the river next to the grounds of his party that collapsed when people walked on it to the amusement of his guests.

Huh. The Catholic Church really is the last fragment of the Roman Empire.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phyzzle posted:

Huh. The Catholic Church really is the last fragment of the Roman Empire.

It really is. In ancient Rome the river Tiber was considered sacred, in order to build a bridge over it there had to be a religious ritual. The man responsible for that ritual was called Pontifex Maximus (the greatest bridge builder), the pope still uses this title.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
A few US political/presidential things involving people called Johnson:

- Richard Mentor Johnson, Vice-President to Martin Van Buren and hero of the War of 1812, campaigned for the Vice Presidency in 1836 under the rousing electoral slogan of Rumpsey Dumpsey, Rumpsey Dumpsey, Colonel Johnson Killed Tecumseh!

- At Abraham Lincoln's second inauguration in 1865 newly elected VP Andrew Johnson (replacing Hannibal Hamlin) pre-gamed the event, turned up at the ceremony roaring drunk - "his face extraordinarily red, his balance precarious" - and unexpectedly gave a speech:

quote:

For twenty long minutes he spoke incoherently, repeatedly declaring his plebeian background and pride that such a humble man 'could rise from the ranks, under the Constitution, to the proud position of second place in the gift of the people.' Pivoting to face the Supreme Court justices, he reminded them that they also derived their 'power from the people'. Then he spoke to the members of the cabinet, insisting they, too, were 'creatures' of the people. He addressed each by name - Mr. Seward, Mr. Stanton, and down the ranks - until he reached Gideon Welles, whose name he could not remember. Seemingly nonplussed, he turned to someone near him and loudly inquired 'What's the name of the Secretary of the Navy?' Continuing his tirade, he ignored Hamlin's pointed reminder that 'the hour for the inauguration ceremony has passed'.
There has since been historical argument over whether this happened because Johnson was habitually drunk or because he never usually drank much and was unprepared for the effects of alcohol.

- My favourite example of how history can turn on the little things: In August 1916 Charles Evans Hughes, out in California campaigning against Woodrow Wilson for the presidency, books into a hotel in Long Beach. He and his aides are unaware that Hiram Johnson, the governor and most important Republican politician in the state, is staying at the same hotel, and Hughes goes to bed without trying to meet with him - the latest in a string of inadvertent insults he's offered Johnson. This is the last straw, and an angry Johnson refuses all further overtures from Hughes, who leaves California without meeting him or securing his endorsement. In November, the lack of endorsement from Johnson costs Hughes California's 13 electoral votes and with them the presidency. Woodrow Wilson's second term, his leading role at the peace conferences and crafting the Treaty of Versailles, and 20th century history shaking out the way it did - all due to Charles Evans Hughes checking into the wrong hotel.

- And one thing not involving anyone called Johnson: Calvin Coolidge assumed the presidency when Warren Harding died in 1923. At the time, he was visiting his family in a remote Vermont farmhouse. To maintain the continuity of the presidency, he was sworn in there and then by the only appropriate official on hand - his own father, who was a justice of the peace. As a teetotaler and proud son of New England, he marked the occasion with a drink of Moxie.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wait, was it a statue of Bacchus or St. Bacchus?

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

Jack of Hearts posted:

Richard Feynman

I've love his videos but haven't read too much from him, can you recommend a good memoir/autobiography?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BuddyChrist posted:

I've love his videos but haven't read too much from him, can you recommend a good memoir/autobiography?
Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman! is the book you need to read before they let you in the stoner nerd club.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BuddyChrist posted:

Surely you're joking, BuddyChrist

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Apraxin posted:

A few US political/presidential things involving people called Johnson:

Ronald Reagan was shot in Washington, and George Washington was shot with a raygun.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Apraxin posted:

- At Abraham Lincoln's second inauguration in 1865 newly elected VP Andrew Johnson (replacing Hannibal Hamlin) pre-gamed the event, turned up at the ceremony roaring drunk - "his face extraordinarily red, his balance precarious" - and unexpectedly gave a speech:

There has since been historical argument over whether this happened because Johnson was habitually drunk or because he never usually drank much and was unprepared for the effects of alcohol.

The story presented in Bland Ambition is that Andrew Johnson was undergoing a bout of malaria (Washington was still mostly a swamp at that point), and wasn't well enough to be inaugurated, but many official were terrified of what might happen if something happened to Lincoln and there was no clear line of succession. So Hannibal Hamlin, the outgoing Vice-President, was sent to rouse Johnson and fill him with enough bourbon to get him through the ceremony. Hamlin, no fan of Johnson and somewhat pissed that Lincoln had dropped him from the ticket, may well have pushed Johnson into drinking beyond his limit as a form of revenge.

ETA:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Ronald Reagan was shot in Washington, and George Washington was shot with a raygun.

A week before he was shot, Lincoln was in Monroe, MD. A week before he was shot, JFK was in...

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Eschers Basement posted:

A week before he was shot, Lincoln was in Monroe, MD. A week before he was shot, JFK was in...

Historical fun fact: this joke implies JFK was a necrophile.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whiz Palace posted:

Historical fun fact: this joke implies JFK was a necrophile.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF Historical Fun Fact: George Washington was shot with a raygun

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was.

I'm pretty sure JFK found a way to have sex with people that didn't even exist. Dude humped everything.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Made love, read minds, went inside more than half of mankind

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Eschers Basement posted:

The story presented in Bland Ambition is that Andrew Johnson was undergoing a bout of malaria (Washington was still mostly a swamp at that point), and wasn't well enough to be inaugurated, but many official were terrified of what might happen if something happened to Lincoln and there was no clear line of succession. So Hannibal Hamlin, the outgoing Vice-President, was sent to rouse Johnson and fill him with enough bourbon to get him through the ceremony. Hamlin, no fan of Johnson and somewhat pissed that Lincoln had dropped him from the ticket, may well have pushed Johnson into drinking beyond his limit as a form of revenge.

ETA:

Lincoln, NE?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
I like words. Like the word "laconic."

From Wikipedia :

A laconic phrase or laconism is a concise or terse statement, especially a blunt and elliptical rejoinder.
It is named after Laconia, the region of Greece including the city of Sparta, whose inhabitants had a reputation for verbal austerity and were famous for their blunt and often pithy remarks.

My favorite example of a laconic phrase is:
After invading southern Greece and receiving the submission of other key city-states, Philip II of Macedon sent a message to Sparta: "If I invade Laconia you will be destroyed, never to rise again." The Spartan ephors replied with a single word: "If." Subsequently neither Philip nor his son Alexander the Great attempted to capture the city.

Owned that fukboi hard.

Another word is "decimate."

From Wikipedia:
Decimation (Latin: decimatio; decem = "ten") was a form of military discipline used by senior commanders in the Roman Army to punish units or large groups guilty of capital offences, such as mutiny or desertion. The word decimation is derived from Latin meaning "removal of a tenth". The procedure was a pragmatic, yet vicious, attempt to balance the need to punish serious offences with the practicalities of dealing with a large group of offenders. A cohort (roughly 480 soldiers) selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten; each group drew lots (sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot fell was executed by his nine comrades, often by stoning or clubbing. The remaining soldiers were often given rations of barley instead of wheat (the latter being the standard soldier's diet) for a few days, and required to camp outside the fortified security of the marching camp. Because the punishment fell by lot, all soldiers in a group sentenced to decimation were potentially liable for execution, regardless of individual degrees of fault, rank or distinction.

Now we use that word to describe where dots go when writing numbers :)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
South Louisiana is oft called "the sportsman's paradise." They've got great hunting and fishing, y'see. One of those good fishing lakes, up until 19 November 1980, was Lake Peigneur -- a nice little lake, not much more than a big pond, really, ten feet deep and well-stocked with all the freshwater fish you could want, and had a rather picturesque Texaco drilling rig in the middle.

A bit of geology/history for those of you who had to GIS what an oil derrick looks like: A good bit of what is now Louisiana and eastern Texas was one a shallow sea. That's where we get oil -- dead zooplankton settles to the bottom, the sea dries out and leaves a non-permeable cover of salt over it, and then geology happens and the plankton's mortal remains are transformed into sweet light crude, and the salt seals it in and keeps it from bubbling up to the surface and evaporating all the useful bits away (as in, say, the La Brea tar pits).

So salt mines and oil wells tend to be working two levels of the same strata, and this was no exception, there was a salt mine under Lake Peigneur. Totally safe, the roughnecks would drill through the bits of salt the miners had left behind to hold up the roof, and everybody profits, right?

Except the driller and the guy who mapped the salt mine's underground works had a bit of a miscommunication on the subject of the coordinate system used, and the 14-inch-wide drill punched through a mineshaft. Which wouldn't have been so bad, except it seized up when it hit solid ground again, so they pulled the drill string out to inspect it. And, in doing so, let the lake into the mine.

Salt dissolves in water like ... well, like salt in water. With the borehole going through solid salt, it wouldn't have been a problem, any water that got in would maybe widen the bore a bit and then get saturated. But letting an entire freshwater lake into a salt mine washed away the supports, and the bottom literally fell out, causing the canal draining the lake to the Gulf of Mexico to flow backwards and the lake doubled in surface area (from the banks falling into the hole) and gained an order of magnitude in depth. Amazingly, all the miners, roughnecks, fishermen, and people with waterfront homes made it out, the only casualty was a single dog.

Now it's a rather large saltwater lake 1200 feet deep in the middle.

History Channel documentary clip;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 02:09 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Present posted:

Now we use that word to describe where dots go when writing numbers :)

It also actually gets used as basically a synonym for devastate.