Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here
So I'm moving to HK due to work. My job says I can go whenever I want basically, and as my contract on my current flat is up at the end on January, I'd love to go in a few weeks. However, my visa isn't sorted yet, and I'm considering going without a visa (to start with). Is this a bad idea? What are the odds of getting caught and deported if I end up working for a month before getting a work permit? I'm EU, and can enter and stay for 90 days without a visa, though the "working" part makes it fishy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to HK!

If your visa isn't ready you can technically go to Macau for a Visa run and be like thousands of Domestic Helpers! Getting a work visa isn't too hard in HK though as long as you have a work contract.

quote:

It normally takes four weeks to process visa/entry permit applications for employment upon receipt of all the required documents. The Immigration Department will not be able to start processing the application unless all the required documents and information have been received.
All applications are processed and determined by the Immigration Department. Approval of applications is entirely discretionary and is subject to changes in government policies. The Director of Immigration reserves absolute discretion to refuse any application even if the application meets all eligibility criteria.

The current Director of Immigration HK runs a tight ship and whips his department into shape.

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 11, 2016

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

caberham posted:

The current Director of Immigration HK runs a tight ship and whips his department into shape.
You can hear cabe getting hard as he types this sentence

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Why no recommendation to see the Summer Palace ruins? I was pretty impressed for the short time we were there during my visit.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham sighed as he drew his approval stamp

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here
Looks like my worries were for naught. I'll be flying out as soon as my visa is approved, which shouldn't be a problem I guess. I'm pretty hyped about this! 4 weeks and I'll hopefully be in HK, woop!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It's a nice place. If nothing goes wrong I figure I'll spend a year or two working there after I'm done with the mainland but before I go home.

Or, y'know, economic crash, disaster, fighting dogs for food in the street. One of the two.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Solo posted:

Looks like my worries were for naught. I'll be flying out as soon as my visa is approved, which shouldn't be a problem I guess. I'm pretty hyped about this! 4 weeks and I'll hopefully be in HK, woop!

jealoooooooooooooussssssssssssssss

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Has anyone here found a solution to kill mold? The apartment, which my university provides, has problems in multiple rooms and everytime I use to bleach to clean the affected areas, it only grows back with a vengence. Unfortunately, the building manager and my school have been unhelpful and downright unresponsive (any job leads out there?!). I think it's gotten to the point of needing assistance from a professional, though. Or a fungi-savvy goon :)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mildew cleaner, regular wall cleaning

Dehumidifier will help, beware of opening windows during humidity and then closing them as it gets dark, you'll just trap warm moist air inside which then cools and condenses out all its moisture in your home

Dehumidifying boxes for wardrobes and cupboards

If it's damp in the walls causing the mould then lol you're hosed. Or you can chip the plaster out, fix the leak, and rebuild everything.
If there was a mouldy wall and they just painted over it then lol you're hosed. Or you can strip the paint off and re-do everything.

You can also ask in the DIY thread in Creative Conventions, see if they have more tips.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
you could be a disgusting human being like me and leave some trash out so you end up with a bunch of those fruit flies, then let them pick the walls clean and die of starvation

clean walls, just have to sweep the dead bugs off the floor

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

simplefish posted:

Mildew cleaner, regular wall cleaning

Dehumidifier will help, beware of opening windows during humidity and then closing them as it gets dark, you'll just trap warm moist air inside which then cools and condenses out all its moisture in your home

Dehumidifying boxes for wardrobes and cupboards

If it's damp in the walls causing the mould then lol you're hosed. Or you can chip the plaster out, fix the leak, and rebuild everything.
If there was a mouldy wall and they just painted over it then lol you're hosed. Or you can strip the paint off and re-do everything.

You can also ask in the DIY thread in Creative Conventions, see if they have more tips.

If it's on a wall, paint over it with actual paint after you use chemicals on it. Most Chinese walls are covered in that powder substance that probably gives you cancer.

If it's an internal leak, good luck getting it fixed. Your school will probably hate you for not ignoring it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have you considered using liberal amounts of fire to remove the mild?

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009
I'm headed to Guangzhou for a 4 day weekend tomorrow and staying around Zhujiang New Town. I managed to put together about one and a half days or so to do some sightseeing, if there's any to be had. Any must-see or must-do things while I'm there?

I've been living in Shanghai the past year or so, so something special to the city or the south of China would be cool. My girlfriend is going with me, but I'd rather avoid shopping in endless malls and get to see or do something different.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Gulluoglu posted:

I'm headed to Guangzhou for a 4 day weekend tomorrow and staying around Zhujiang New Town. I managed to put together about one and a half days or so to do some sightseeing, if there's any to be had. Any must-see or must-do things while I'm there?

I've been living in Shanghai the past year or so, so something special to the city or the south of China would be cool. My girlfriend is going with me, but I'd rather avoid shopping in endless malls and get to see or do something different.

Let me see if I can help you

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

There's a historical part of the city that's good for an afternoon of walking round

E: god forbid someone ask for tourism tips in the tourism thread

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Shamian Island is the colonial historical place you're thinking of.

Chimelong resort is a ways out of town in Panyu but it's the best amusement park in China if you're into that stuff. They have a circus that's pretty cool. Zhujiang New Town has the opera house that has good shows sometimes, you should see what's there. They have Broadway musicals come through from time to time.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gulluoglu posted:

My girlfriend is going with me, but I'd rather avoid shopping in endless malls and get to see or do something different.

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloodnose posted:

Shamian Island is the colonial historical place you're thinking of.

Chimelong resort is a ways out of town in Panyu but it's the best amusement park in China if you're into that stuff. They have a circus that's pretty cool. Zhujiang New Town has the opera house that has good shows sometimes, you should see what's there. They have Broadway musicals come through from time to time.

I went to the newer one in Zhuhai and it was a pretty good amusement park.

Also they have real life black people in Xiaobei if you're into that sort of thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Gulluoglu posted:

My girlfriend is going with me, but I'd rather avoid shopping in endless malls and get to see or do something different.

I don't think you understand how this works, friend.

Gulluoglu
May 4, 2009

Warbird posted:

I don't think you understand how this works, friend.

On a recent trip to South Korea, it was shopping all day, erry day. I managed to squeeze in one visit to see the old palace. Small victories.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, everyone. I'll check out Shamian, it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You should go look at the black people.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I dream of the day I can talk my old football playing buddy to come see the inlaws with me. I bet a 6'8" 280lbs white dude rolling up anywhere in that country would cause no end of hilarity.

Sub-Machine Goon
Mar 19, 2009
Visiting Beijing for a month starting February 13th, mostly for work. I'm hoping to have some time to do touristy thing as well though, anything I need to make sure not to miss?
Also, am I going to die of the air pollution? Should I get a mask? If so, any recommendations?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes Yes Yes

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Fagged Alliance posted:

Visiting Beijing for a month starting February 13th, mostly for work. I'm hoping to have some time to do touristy thing as well though, anything I need to make sure not to miss?
Also, am I going to die of the air pollution? Should I get a mask? If so, any recommendations?

Plan ahead to go see the great wall. But try try try to go on a weekday.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
During spring festival the wall will be absolute madness. I'd go at the end of February or early March on like a Tuesday and go to mutianyu and not badaling.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

3M masks are good/cheap just make sure they're N95 or whatever.

Warbird posted:

I dream of the day I can talk my old football playing buddy to come see the inlaws with me. I bet a 6'8" 280lbs white dude rolling up anywhere in that country would cause no end of hilarity.

When I was studying in Qingdao one of my friends was 6'8" and he was basically a celebrity everywhere we went. It worked out really well for the most part.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I had some lady filming me on her phone in Qingdao, it was a hoot. I'm going to try and spend a week or so there this summer so I can go get on the beach and just watch the reaction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How's HK for a visit now? I have a ton of vacation I need to use up by end of quarter and always had HK as one of the places to check out. Ideally I could also use it as a base for exploring some other SEA places within budget air coverage.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Shooting from the hip here, but I'd stay the hell away from China for the next month or so for the New Year's chaos to die down and disperse.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

How's HK for a visit now? I have a ton of vacation I need to use up by end of quarter and always had HK as one of the places to check out. Ideally I could also use it as a base for exploring some other SEA places within budget air coverage.

Hong Kong is an awesome place to visit.
Spring Festival is a terrible time to come to China.
Hope that helps.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I am attracted to men and want to hug and kiss them.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

fart simpson posted:

sup

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

lol

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

fart simpson posted:

I would like to acknowledge your statement and amend that I am also a homosexual. I will now chortle sensibly

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
how is that an amendment?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Stringent posted:

how is that an amendment?

I dont know shut up

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
no u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007