Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Chiming in to say that I never used any of that there fancy "flaxseed" stuff on mine, the most important thing is proper care and re-seasoning after cleaning in my opinion. I think I just used regular canola oil for the original seasoning, but it was a long time ago and hasn't given me any problems since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have a bottle of flaxseed oil and I must admit, I've used a *lot* less oil in my cooking since getting it. I suspect that's not due to seasoning properties though but more due to how much it cost for such a tiny bottle. A couple of drops before I start cooking, a couple of drops after and all is good.

I've never kept it in the fridge though...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Food grade flax does not need to be refrigerated, linseed does.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Canola oil, bacon, use it, take it easy.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I feel like someone has to say this every 5 or so pages:

It's a cast iron pan. Just use it. It'll be fine. Occasionally make some bacon in it, or dont; it'll be fine.

Things you'll do that will cause it "not to be fine":
Leave it outside.
Leave it sitting in the sink for weeks.

Outside of that, not much is going to harm the pan that a little bacon wont cure (pun intended). Even tomato sauce is fine in moderation, just don't leave it in there for days.

There's a reason why we all have our great grandmothers pans and it's not because they were spergy and went on the internet asking how to protect their precious cast iron. It's because they're indestructible

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is that too long for a thread title?

It's a cast iron pan. Just use it. It'll be fine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My seasoning keeps coming off really fast. I'll season my pan with veg oil and then a bake for an hour at 450, then sear a steak in it, and when I use a regular sponge to get off the gunk on the bottom (no soap) I can see the bare metal in spots on the bottom. OP says even soap should be fine for a quick wash so I dunno what's going on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You need more layers of seasoning--5 bake cycles should be enough.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BraveUlysses posted:

Thought that might be it. Cool, thanks.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Also since being gifted one at Christmas I can recommend a stainless steel chainmail scrub enough. Abrasive enough to pull off chunks, but not abrasive in a way that touches the seasoning.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I leave the chunks on and call 'em flavor crystals.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Also since being gifted one at Christmas I can recommend a stainless steel chainmail scrub enough. Abrasive enough to pull off chunks, but not abrasive in a way that touches the seasoning.

Mine just pisses me off when i try to actually clean with it.

Fun to play with, though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey so I got an angle grinder and I'm ready to sand off my cast iron.

Should I go 120 grit or 40 grit?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Put your oven on clean with the cast iron in it. You will be left with an immaculate metal surface (that you best get oil on damned quick)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This isn't about reseasoning, I'm trying to grind the pebbly metal surface to a smooth one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

If you're looking to get a smooth surface I'd go coarse then fine. You'll be able to remove the material a lot faster.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some day I wanna take all my pans to a machine shop and have them milled smooth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Porter Cable angle grinder is $30 on amazon, sanding flap discs are $10 each at your local hardware store. You can do it yourself for $50 and you'll get to keep a scary machine that screams like a banshee and wants to eat your fingers off

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah but I want a finish you could seal a head gasket against

i want the flattest pancakes you've ever seen

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Yeah but I want a finish you could seal a head gasket against

i want the flattest pancakes you've ever seen

Hell, have a pan custom made on a CNC machine. Don't go halfassed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

Mine just pisses me off when i try to actually clean with it.

Fun to play with, though.

Odd, mine works great.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cartouche posted:

Hell, have a pan custom made on a CNC machine. Don't go halfassed.

I like the cut of your jib

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Odd, mine works great.

I received one for Christmas as well and mine works great. I should have bought one a long time ago.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If you were to cast a 24x24x24" cube of iron, and then CNC it into a cast iron pan, would it have any significant differences from a regular cast iron pan aside from tighter tolerances and a more precise shape?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm not sure how well that large of a hunk of iron would cool, but no, the milling would just be potentially smoother than a sand or other mold. You'd also be able to get a few more pans out of 8 cubic feet.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
You guys know if you want to spend crazy money there are "boutique," "artisinal" cast iron pan makers for people who hate money right?

http://boroughfurnace.com/shop/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh yeah, but "hand made in Syracuse" doesn't exactly equate to tolerances of 0.0001"

Is there anything fundamentally dangerous about cooking on a mild steel griddle?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Safety Dance posted:

Is there anything fundamentally dangerous about cooking on a mild steel griddle?

It's hot, and you can burn yourself.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

It's hot, and you can burn yourself.

I was trying to come up with a clever way of saying that, but yeah. You can burn the poo poo out of yourself. Great for removing fingerprints though!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Hey it's me again. I've been doing as you said with one season per day and my pots and pans are definitely much glossier than they used to be, so that's good.

One question though. Most of my dutch oven lid and and parts of everything else just don't seem to get oil anymore. Like I pour a tiny bit of oil on, it just slides right off. Even if I try and rub it on with a paper towel, it refuses to stick in those parts. Is that natural?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

AnonSpore posted:

Hey it's me again. I've been doing as you said with one season per day and my pots and pans are definitely much glossier than they used to be, so that's good.

One question though. Most of my dutch oven lid and and parts of everything else just don't seem to get oil anymore. Like I pour a tiny bit of oil on, it just slides right off. Even if I try and rub it on with a paper towel, it refuses to stick in those parts. Is that natural?

That means it's seasoned. Cook an egg on it and watch it slide around like a slip-n-slide.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I have a cast iron pan.
It has no name.
No branding.
No mirror finish.
It is my pan.
There is nothing like it.
It might not perform as well as others.
But it is mine.
It is made of iron.
Cast in sand.
That is all I ask of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

This is after the 40 grit, which was actually already pretty smooth. I did a round with 120 grit afterwards to go even smoother. There were visible ridges and scratches, but running my fingernails over them, I couldn't feel them. Good enough I guess.

Currently seasoning in oven. If there's a marked improvement on this 8 inch, I'm going to do the same for my 10 and 12

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 6, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

This is after the 40 grit, which was actually already pretty smooth. I did a round with 120 grit afterwards to go even smoother. There were visible ridges and scratches, but running my fingernails over them, I couldn't feel them. Good enough I guess.

Currently seasoning in oven. If there's a marked improvement on this 8 inch, I'm going to do the same for my 10 and 12

After doing this I found it was a bit more difficult to get the seasoning to stick, but ultimately once it did it was much smoother. If it's a bit harder to season this time, stick with it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

TheQuietWilds posted:

After doing this I found it was a bit more difficult to get the seasoning to stick, but ultimately once it did it was much smoother. If it's a bit harder to season this time, stick with it.

:rimshot:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a quick way to get rid of that sticky gunk you get from over-oiling during seasoning, if it's just a little around the rim of my dutch oven?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Scrape it with a metal utensil. Anything that comes off easily doesn't deserve to stay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

TheQuietWilds posted:

Holy crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq1ZOG1KLy8

I think it's as slick as a brand new Teflon pan.

I think the secret is to not try to rush the seasoning process. Let it cool down slowly in the oven. Don't pile on too much oil each layer.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a quick way to get rid of that sticky gunk you get from over-oiling during seasoning, if it's just a little around the rim of my dutch oven?
I had a really grossly sticky 6" skillet a roommate abandoned when he moved out, the only way to make the handle and outside not-sticky was to toss it on my bbq grill for a while, and let it burn it all off, then I cooked a pound or two of bacon inside of it to smooth out the parts that lost seasoning on the inside. It's still my favorite egg-cooking utensil, and the handle isn't gross to touch any more.

Also one time I went camping and forgot to take my 12" cast iron skillet off the campfire when everybody went to sleep, it burned off alllll the seasoning, but it wasn't sticky any more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Holy crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq1ZOG1KLy8

I think it's as slick as a brand new Teflon pan.

I think the secret is to not try to rush the seasoning process. Let it cool down slowly in the oven. Don't pile on too much oil each layer.

That video is oddly sexual