Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

xthetenth posted:

You're wrong, it's topic homeopathy :colbert:.

That makes it more potent.....

I expect some really weird poo poo to be posted soon then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Illuminti posted:

That makes it more potent.....

I expect some really weird poo poo to be posted soon then
The moon is faked. Not the moon landings, the moon itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3axPn65MGM

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

Yes because projecting a hologram over the entire surface of the moon is a far better way of covering up a secret moonbase than, for example, moon coloured tarpaulins.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Didn't really know where to put this, so this thread seemed best. Reddit has worked itself up over the recent death of a man in Fresno, who was found dead of stab wounds in his house (surrounded by a locked gate), which had been set on fire. A grisly scene to be sure, but they are convinced he was murdered by Fresno PD as retaliation for making negative remarks about them in the comments section of a local news website. For several days before he died, he wrote on facebook that the cops were out to get him. His youtube is filled with security camera footage of, seemingly, people walking and cars driving in front of his house, and his website is filled with long rants that seem to be the work of a paranoid schizophrenic; every one who calls him and strangers he sees or encounters in real life are all connected, and all part of the police conspiracy to take him down for some Disqus comments.

This has been sitting at the top of /r/news for hours. Naturally, Reddit is convinced they've uncovered a huge conspiracy and coverup by the Fresno PD. Now, I have no doubt that those cops are less than squeaky clean (and distrust of LEOs isn't really unwarranted), and its awful what happened to this guy, but the whole thing is just so over the top, and it's not surprising at all that Reddit is full of :tinfoil: it just makes so much sense :tinfoil: types. His website is truly a deep rabbit hole of paranoia, and there's an additional sad part about it which is that this guys problems with the police started at the same time his marriage was falling apart.

Or maybe it's all true and the Fresno PD is the most vindictive, evil LEA in the country :shrug:

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 29, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Geez, I figured that Fresno story was limited to conspiracy nuts in my area. Good thing they have so much evidence to go on

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
You'd think Reddit (the more popular/visible parts of it anyway) would have learned their lesson about trying to solve real-life cases after they bungled their investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing so spectacularly, but self-awareness doesn't seem to be their wheelhouse.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mr Jaunts posted:

Didn't really know where to put this, so this thread seemed best. Reddit has worked itself up over the recent death of a man in Fresno, who was found dead of stab wounds in his house (surrounded by a locked gate), which had been set on fire. A grisly scene to be sure, but they are convinced he was murdered by Fresno PD as retaliation for making negative remarks about them in the comments section of a local news website. For several days before he died, he wrote on facebook that the cops were out to get him. His youtube is filled with security camera footage of, seemingly, people walking and cars driving in front of his house, and his website is filled with long rants that seem to be the work of a paranoid schizophrenic; every one who calls him and strangers he sees or encounters in real life are all connected, and all part of the police conspiracy to take him down for some Disqus comments.

This has been sitting at the top of /r/news for hours. Naturally, Reddit is convinced they've uncovered a huge conspiracy and coverup by the Fresno PD. Now, I have no doubt that those cops are less than squeaky clean (and distrust of LEOs isn't really unwarranted), and its awful what happened to this guy, but the whole thing is just so over the top, and it's not surprising at all that Reddit is full of :tinfoil: it just makes so much sense :tinfoil: types. His website is truly a deep rabbit hole of paranoia, and there's an additional sad part about it which is that this guys problems with the police started at the same time his marriage was falling apart.

Or maybe it's all true and the Fresno PD is the most vindictive, evil LEA in the country :shrug:

That's called being a victim of "gangstalking" and of all the ct's i think it's the one that is most clearly a mental illness. There are some bizarre videos on youtube of "victims" who present some baffling evidence. They seem to think that the 'government' or whoever is just loving with them, sneaking into their homes and rearraging their clothes or scuffing their shoes. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them had Morgellons as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuGR_DmnoI a handy guide about 4 mins in he starts explaining how they are sneaking in and artificially wearing out his clothes

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To be fair, police departments, especially in smaller more conservative areas, are hilariously evil.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also to be fair, he was paranoid about something and was then found dead of stab wounds inside a burning house. Sounds like his paranoia was justified, even if it was possibly misdirected.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Jaunts posted:

Even if everything about this is true they don't even come close to the NYPD or Chicago PD.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Mr Jaunts posted:

You're leaving out the most interesting part of the story, which is that right before he was murdered he said "if I die in the next few days you'll know that it was the Fresno PD". Whether or not the police were actually involved this is at least a pretty unusual case of a seemingly paranoid and unhinged individual actually dying at the exact moment they said they were in danger.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like it's a classic case of "gangstalking" except there was just this perfect storm of the guy being killed under suspicious circumstances just when he was "supposed" to, and it's blinding a bunch of people who'd otherwise not care or be able to pick out that it's gangstalking otherwise.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This "gangstalking" concept sounds really insidious for someone with mental illness because it seemingly tells you that your growing isolation and inability to relate to employers, landlords, government officials, etc. is all thanks to a vast conspiracy:

quote:

What is Gang Stalking?

A Simple Definition

Under Occupational Health and Safety laws, individuals are being flagged and placed on community notification lists. This is happening without the targets knowledge. In many countries these community notifications are being used by companies and others to target innocent individuals such as whistle-blowers, the outspoken, etc. In conjunction with these notifications, companies and others are in some cases using a practice that was used in the former soviet union called the psychiatric reprisal. This is used as a means of retaliation, blacklisting, silencing, or controlling members of society. Once on the notification system, warnings about the targets are sent out to every individual the target comes in contact with, thus poisoning their associations, and socially annexing the targeted individual.

Full Definition

Gang Stalking is a systemic form of control, which seeks to destroy every aspect of a Targeted Individuals life. Once a target is flagged a notification is sent out to the community at large, and the target is followed around 24/7 by the various communities that they are in.

The community notifications will go out to various places. Apartment rentals, future employers, stores and communities where the target visits, will be notified. Doctors offices, fire departments, police, etc. A covert investigation might also be opened, and electronic, means used by the civilian spies/snitches as part of the overt and covert monitoring and surveillance process.

Individuals can be flagged designating them as having a history of aggressive or inappropriate behavior. This notification system will follow the target if they move, change jobs, visit other areas. It let’s the community believe that the target is a person who needs to be watched or monitored.

I have a mentally unwell -- but basically functional -- friend who is both convinced of his own significance (major international corporations apparently change their product and marketing decisions in response to his behaviors) and occasionally displays paranoid thought patterns ("the government is tracking me and giving my information to people who don't like me") and I can just imagine the kind of damage that the idea of gangstalking could do to his psyche if he came across it at the wrong moment and it "clicked" for him.

I wonder if there have been any sustained studies of how internet communities have changed the face of mental illness and its treatment. There have been crazy conspiracy books and radio call in shows for a long time but I feel as though the interactivity and community oriented nature of internet forums and blogs might make them particularly dangerous.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

I'd be more willing to laugh at him if I hadn't loving helped the military promote Black Ops lll last year

We set up an armored car covered in gilly nets on a show floor and the kids swarmed it. You're going to have a lot of broken, desperate, stupid people joining our service in the next few years because they believe in patriotic idolatry.

Baronjutter posted:

So my friend's 8 year old daughter is apparently TERRIFIED of THE ILLUMINATI and their mind control. And it's not just her, apparently the whole elementary school system of her age range is just full of gossip and fear mongering and making up stories about illuminati conspiracies.

What weird loving times we live in. When I was 8 I was scared of people figuring out my pog hustling scam and the bottom falling out of the pog market.

Related: all the kids talk about ISIS over here. I live in the biggest military town in CA and it's by design to fill your kids with that nonsense from day 1, swaddling them in old glory, naval stars, camo print, or eagles. There's a particularly older veteran of Desert Storm who likes to come into my store and talk about how we need to educate our children with CALL OF DUTY: ISIS and ANGRY ISIS BIRDS to prepare them for a battle with the Islamic hordes that he sees as a war that will darken us for another 100 years.

Armani fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 29, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Armani posted:

I'd be more willing to laugh at him if I hadn't loving helped the military promote Black Ops lll last year

We set up an armored car covered in gilly nets on a show floor and the kids swarmed it. You're going to have a lot of broken, desperate, stupid people joining our service in the next few years because they believe in patriotic idolatry.

The military has seen entertainment as a valid means of recruitment ever since Top Gun came out and apparently caused a spike in enlistment. :shrug:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Armani posted:

Related: all the kids talk about ISIS over here. I live in the biggest military town in CA and it's by design to fill your kids with that nonsense from day 1, swaddling them in old glory, naval stars, camo print, or eagles. There's a particularly older veteran of Desert Storm who likes to come into my store and talk about how we need to educate our children with CALL OF DUTY: ISIS and ANGRY ISIS BIRDS to prepare them for a battle with the Islamic hordes that he sees as a war that will darken us for another 100 years.

Honestly, the better thing to do would be to focus on physical fitness. How are we supposed to fight ISIS when most of the 18 year olds are too loving fat?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The military has seen entertainment as a valid means of recruitment ever since Top Gun came out and apparently caused a spike in enlistment. :shrug:

I think this and having a loving assload of media assuring you that sexless, motherless violent patriotism is totally dope is what caused a spike IMO

boom boom boom posted:

Honestly, the better thing to do would be to focus on physical fitness. How are we supposed to fight ISIS when most of the 18 year olds are too loving fat?

This is not going to be any easier thanks to the NFL CTE research from the last few years. It's not the NFL, as of now, at risk - it's the pee wee and kids leagues, where everyone basically starts, which will annihilate the NFL for talent in a few decades.

I think we're going to see stupid-big changes in that area alone. I am pretty sure my kids will watch football that looks completely alien to me.

Armani fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 29, 2016

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Helsing posted:

You're leaving out the most interesting part of the story, which is that right before he was murdered he said "if I die in the next few days you'll know that it was the Fresno PD". Whether or not the police were actually involved this is at least a pretty unusual case of a seemingly paranoid and unhinged individual actually dying at the exact moment they said they were in danger.

That's kind of the weirdest part for me. If he was being stalked to the extent that he thought he was, I would've thought that they'd see those posts and go, "well we can't kill him now, everyone will know it was us!" The circumstances are definitely suspicious, but it strains credulity to think that a local PD would go so far out of their way to get this guy for a relatively minor grievance (he also claimed before he died that they were trying to frame him for CP possession).

Either way, I've never heard of gangstalking before, so thanks for teaching me something new everyone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Helsing posted:

This "gangstalking" concept sounds really insidious for someone with mental illness because it seemingly tells you that your growing isolation and inability to relate to employers, landlords, government officials, etc. is all thanks to a vast conspiracy:

I have a mentally unwell -- but basically functional -- friend who is both convinced of his own significance (major international corporations apparently change their product and marketing decisions in response to his behaviors) and occasionally displays paranoid thought patterns ("the government is tracking me and giving my information to people who don't like me") and I can just imagine the kind of damage that the idea of gangstalking could do to his psyche if he came across it at the wrong moment and it "clicked" for him.

I wonder if there have been any sustained studies of how internet communities have changed the face of mental illness and its treatment. There have been crazy conspiracy books and radio call in shows for a long time but I feel as though the interactivity and community oriented nature of internet forums and blogs might make them particularly dangerous.

I think my favorite part is this:

quote:

Individuals can be flagged designating them as having a history of aggressive or inappropriate behavior. This notification system will follow the target if they move, change jobs, visit other areas. It let’s the community believe that the target is a person who needs to be watched or monitored

It even provides a way to justify everyone being really cautious and suspicious around someone known for being crazy aggressive!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Armani posted:

So the status quo, then

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I feel like the gangstalking concept could make for a really compelling psychological horror movie. Everyday life through that lens would be terrifying.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

A Beautiful Mind

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

So the status quo, then

Fair enough.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was foolish and touched the poop on the Skeptoid FB page when Dunning was complaining about Dawkin's being uninvited for from bigoted comments (Like he has any other type) by posting his Dear Muslima letter, and people got all "he was just joking!" and "he was making fun of a feminist who gets angry guys find her attractive!". The whole thing is people defending him against the PC police and skeletons.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

boom boom boom posted:

that's why Mountain Dew War Fuel has half the calories

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Armani posted:

This is not going to be any easier thanks to the NFL CTE research from the last few years. It's not the NFL, as of now, at risk - it's the pee wee and kids leagues, where everyone basically starts, which will annihilate the NFL for talent in a few decades.

I think we're going to see stupid-big changes in that area alone. I am pretty sure my kids will watch football that looks completely alien to me.

Maybe kids could play better games, like soccer or bicycling or MMA or triathalons

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I feel like the gangstalking concept could make for a really compelling psychological horror movie. Everyday life through that lens would be terrifying.

Like the Truman Show, but with a smaller budget.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Hell, if it weren't for the inherent ethical problem, a reality TV show where they actually gangstalk an unsuspecting person would probably be pretty fun to watch.

Maybe they could do it to Ted Cruz or someone suitably horrible so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Hell, if it weren't for the inherent ethical problem, a reality TV show where they actually gangstalk an unsuspecting person would probably be pretty fun to watch.

Maybe they could do it to Ted Cruz or someone suitably horrible so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Have them gangstalk another reality TV show crew that is in turn gangstalking them.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Larch posted:

Have them gangstalk another reality TV show crew that is in turn gangstalking them.

scientology documentaries are basically this

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did yall see this article on the Truman Show delusion?

quote:

Suddenly, Lotz solved the puzzle of his life. Since starting college, he had been the star of a reality-TV show. The network had kept the cameras hidden, as in “Candid Camera” and “Punk’d.” That night was supposed to be the finale. All he had to do was call his father, who’d find him in the crowd, lead him onstage, and present him with a check for a million dollars. Lotz took out his cell phone, but he was too strung out to place the call. It was too late—he’d missed his chance to make the cameras turn off.

He returned to the tent and paced outside it until daybreak. When Cecelia woke up, she asked him what was wrong. He responded, “Smile, you’re on camera!”

The next day, he flew to Montana and began rehab. A counsellor, explaining the rules of the program, said, “We’re all going to be watching you.” To Lotz, this was an explicit acknowledgment that he was the star of a show that was being broadcast live, all day and all night. At the treatment center, he ducked into empty rooms, searching for editing equipment. He didn’t find any, but that proved nothing: cameras could be hidden behind mirrors or inside shirt buttons.

Lotz was discharged from rehab before he completed the program—his problems, the counsellors said, went beyond drug abuse. Back at home, he remained agitated, but he decided to keep quiet about the show. He completed a local rehab program, and declared himself ready for school. His parents, unsure what to do, allowed him to return to college for his sophomore year.

Lotz decided to embrace being watched by millions of strangers. He left his laptop open, allowing the cameras to zoom in on the screen, broadcasting his words to the world. When he spoke in class, he grinned clownishly, letting the audience know that he was in on the joke. He enrolled in acting and public-speaking courses, determined to become a better performer. Once, in acting class, he read an article about “the doubt or fatigue” that can wear down an actor. That night, Lotz wrote in his journal, “Anything that humiliates me or pisses me off is actually . . . a hazard of being famous.”

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JFairfax posted:

scientology documentaries are basically this

Don't they have a dedicated crew to do this? Hang outside critics and ex-members homes, filming them, following them and other harassing actions? I know they show a bunch of this in Going Clear, along with accusations of the CoS having basically a prison where members are tortured.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

kids are scared of dumb things. when i was 8 it was the height of 80's-90's interest in the paranormal and my biggest, most terrifying fear was being abducted by aliens

the more interesting part is why specifically the illuminati has become a topic of schoolyard conversation at this particular school

For real. Somebody should take a good look at the teachers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

katlington posted:

For real. Somebody should take a good look at the teachers.

Isn't this some dumb pop music thing now? I know legit crazies have been calling pop music part of the illuminati for years, but don't they talk about it on gossip shows now via some dumb memes?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It is. It's also a joke on a lot of video game streams apparently.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

twistedmentat posted:

Don't they have a dedicated crew to do this? Hang outside critics and ex-members homes, filming them, following them and other harassing actions? I know they show a bunch of this in Going Clear, along with accusations of the CoS having basically a prison where members are tortured.

The most famous of those (and the ones shown in Going Clear) were the "Squirrel Busters", hired by the Church of Scientology to harass their ex-Inspector General Marty Rathbun. The group is called "Squirrel Busters" because "squirrel" is a term for dissident Scientologists who "go off Source" (break from the CoS's authority).

The CoS will often hire private investigators to "noisily investigate" enemies of the church, but they're especially scared of Rathbun because for a while he was flirting with the possibility of setting up his own sect of Dianetics auditors and using his cachet as former policy chief to attract other ex-members. For five months straight, they rented the house across the street from him, sat in the street with cameras pointed at his windows, followed him around town in a golf cart, and tried to provoke him into taking a swing at them or damaging their equipment so they could get him arrested.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't that just be regular stalking? Isn't that a crime?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skellybones posted:

Wouldn't that just be regular stalking? Isn't that a crime?

A private investigator working legally or under the supervision of an attorney is specifically excluded from stalking, and Scientology prides itself on using its lawyers to gently caress over people. As long as the PIs don't commit other crimes (like burglary or wiretapping or violating a court order prohibiting them from approaching the person they're investigating), they're protected.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Illuminti posted:

That's called being a victim of "gangstalking" and of all the ct's i think it's the one that is most clearly a mental illness. There are some bizarre videos on youtube of "victims" who present some baffling evidence. They seem to think that the 'government' or whoever is just loving with them, sneaking into their homes and rearraging their clothes or scuffing their shoes. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them had Morgellons as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WuGR_DmnoI a handy guide about 4 mins in he starts explaining how they are sneaking in and artificially wearing out his clothes

Laugh if you want but when he started showing how his clothes had been messed with, I realized I've been being gangstalked my entire life. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GWBBQ posted:

That's no moon

• Locked thread