Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There are way too many hot guys with glasses in films and TV for me to believe this.

well yeah, myself included

but for real i don't get what it is with japan and girls with eyepatches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you play a black dude in fo4 you'll immediately guess who your son is because he's the other black person in the entire world

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Looper posted:

well yeah, myself included

but for real i don't get what it is with japan and girls with eyepatches

Isn't it mainly that there is one character who Japanese guys go crazy over with that one trait so everyone starts copying it? I remember when Black Rock Shooter was still huge all of the sudden a bunch of girls had one flaming eye.

Or when Key gave some of its lead girls some kind of vocal tic like 'uguu' or 'auuu' and so it became a Thing for a bunch of VNs afterwards. I think the worst case I ever saw was a game where the girl's vocal tic was saying 'pya' randomly. Japan is the master race for running poo poo into the ground.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Looper posted:

unfortunately men with eye problems aren't as fetishized

Meganebu!
The plot focuses on Akira Souma, a glasses fanatic at the rural Himaraya Third Technical School. Akira's great love for glasses causes him to form the "Glasses Club" at his school and he somewhat forces his classmates and glasses wearers Takuma Hachimine, Yukiya Minabe, Mitsuki Kamatani, and Hayato Kimata to join. The series follows the activities of the Glasses Club and the antics resulting from their shared passion for eyewear.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Getsuya posted:

Isn't it mainly that there is one character who Japanese guys go crazy over with that one trait so everyone starts copying it? I remember when Black Rock Shooter was still huge all of the sudden a bunch of girls had one flaming eye.

Or when Key gave some of its lead girls some kind of vocal tic like 'uguu' or 'auuu' and so it became a Thing for a bunch of VNs afterwards. I think the worst case I ever saw was a game where the girl's vocal tic was saying 'pya' randomly. Japan is the master race for running poo poo into the ground.

I think the progenitor in this case is Rei Ayanami from when she wears a medical eyepatch for like one scene.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

if you play a black dude in fo4 you'll immediately guess who your son is because he's the other black person in the entire world

The guy who gets you to lead the minutemen is your son? But yeah he's the only black character I can think of off the top of my head. It IS Boston after all...

mycot posted:

I think the progenitor in this case is Rei Ayanami from when she wears a medical eyepatch for like one scene.

I'd believe this. Medical eye patches are common enough in Japanese games as a cosmetic thing that after going "what, why, who would put this on their character?", I remember that it's in a bunch of other games and move on.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Getsuya posted:

Japan is the master race for running poo poo into the ground.

That's kind of a fuckin weird way to say that

Running poo poo into the ground, Western gaming industry edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwFD5bC6ptM

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

thorsilver posted:

The person you're talking to actually lives in Japan IIRC, they're not saying that just as a "lol Japanese people" thing.

Like, if Booker, Master Chief, and Joel all had one purple thigh-high sock, then we'd be talking.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

thorsilver posted:

I don't disagree, but there were at least six japanese games in there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't know what the clearly japanese dude from devil's third has to do with white male protagonists

edit: wait, the dude from devil's third isn't japanese?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

i don't know what the clearly japanese dude from devil's third has to do with white male protagonists

edit: wait, the dude from devil's third isn't japanese?

Nope, Russian. Incredibly Russian.

e: plus it's a video on dudes, not just white dudes. makes it pretty dumb but yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Isn't it mainly that there is one character who Japanese guys go crazy over with that one trait so everyone starts copying it
they do this with characters japanese girls like, also.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Endorph posted:

the water monsters are pretty alright. i like their mid-range attack. their big problem is they're very inaccurate, though.

for generic leaders, i like bandits, wolves, and pretty much all of the flying classes.

In my view if you're not fielding that room that lets you move immediately after summoning with as many pyromancers as you can fit in it you're needlessly making the game harder for yourself. Terror Blaze (and the dragon sage equivalent) does bullshit-level damage in an area (on the map), from a long range, with no enemy retaliation. It's a shame that a lot of players don't use it because the game doesn't give you a named pyromage unit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Nope, Russian. Incredibly Russian.
russian dude with a ton of japanese tattoos is still an interesting direction for your protag, i guess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

In my view if you're not fielding that room that lets you move immediately after summoning with as many pyromancers as you can fit in it you're needlessly making the game harder for yourself. Terror Blaze (and the dragon sage equivalent) does bullshit-level damage in an area (on the map), from a long range, with no enemy retaliation. It's a shame that a lot of players don't use it because the game doesn't give you a named pyromage unit.
imo im glad people don't use it, because it makes the game too easy, and room experimentation is fun

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mycot posted:

The person you're talking to actually lives in Japan IIRC, they're not saying that just as a "lol Japanese people" thing.

Like, if Booker, Master Chief, and Joel all had one purple thigh-high sock, then we'd be talking.

It's racist to point out a country's marketing trends

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

thorsilver posted:

I see your video and raise you the Japan version of running poo poo into the ground:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26oQ3LwbKVQ

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Motto posted:

SWERY is a huge westaboo so I think he'd be kinda flattered.

vvvv I don't think you could call a guy with a random shark tooth necklace generic if nothing else.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 5, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ivo is the most generic character in the history of generic characters ever. Devil's Third has a bad main character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

shocked that something in Devil's third is bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

russian dude with a ton of japanese tattoos is still an interesting direction for your protag, i guess

A shame it was utterly squandered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

I see your video and raise you the Japan version of running poo poo into the ground:

pya

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

mycot posted:

vvvv I don't think you could call a guy with a random shark tooth necklace generic if nothing else.

If he did anything but grunt and say one liners that were cliche back in the 90's, maybe. He is incredibly bland for Ninja Gaiden With Guns.

Also for some reason, bats are randomly in areas of the game that make you go near-death.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Hopefully this can die and be the only time this video is ever linked on SA. I was in a visual novel fan community that thought it was the most hilarious video ever made and would spam that poo poo whenever they had nothing better to say.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

mycot posted:

I lived in Japan for several years and have been married to a Japanese woman now for eight years, doesn't mean I should go around calling Japanese people 'the master race' for something IMO. Maybe I'm being oversensitive, I dunno.

And I kinda see your point but I also don't see how that's much different from so many AAA protagonists being grizzled brown-haired white dudes with extremely similar facial features? It's still lovely, identikit character design either way.

The whole industry is bereft of creativity in general, is what I'm saying

Motto posted:

That's true, should've said 'AAA game industry' I suppose. But that space is largely dominated by Western devs so it still works I think.

Getsuya posted:

OK yeah, that's pretty terrible

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 5, 2016

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

thorsilver posted:

I lived in Japan for several years and have been married to a Japanese woman now for eight years, doesn't mean I should go around calling Japanese people 'the master race' for something IMO. Maybe I'm being oversensitive, I dunno.

Oh that's what you meant. Yeah sorry I agree that was a weird phrase to choose. I just meant they're really good at it. The only other context I've heard 'master race' used in in the last decade is 'PC master race' so it's lost any other meaning to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thorsilver posted:

I lived in Japan for several years and have been married to a Japanese woman now for eight years
ive been married to a japanese woman since october 4th, 1995

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Getsuya posted:

Oh that's what you meant. Yeah sorry I agree that was a weird phrase to choose. I just meant they're really good at it. The only other context I've heard 'master race' used in in the last decade is 'PC master race' so it's lost any other meaning to me.

Ahh, OK no worries. I figured I was just overreacting but I couldn't help feeling a bit miffed over it.

I remember when I was actually in Japan I read a good interview by some anime producer or character designer, and he was lamenting how the trend at the time was that every anime had to have a very similar set of character designs/personality types in it. He called it something like 'database design' and talked about why he thought things had gone that way. It was interesting and I'm really pissed off I can't find it now!

If I can find it I'll post it, maybe it's interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My reason for always making a female character is: a cool girl is cooler than a cool boy. It's an incontrovertible fact.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

ive been married to a japanese woman since october 4th, 1995

*10 minutes of googling later*

nice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think there's any Japanese women in Yoshi's Island

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thorsilver posted:

'database design'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thorsilver posted:

Ahh, OK no worries. I figured I was just overreacting but I couldn't help feeling a bit miffed over it.

I remember when I was actually in Japan I read a good interview by some anime producer or character designer, and he was lamenting how the trend at the time was that every anime had to have a very similar set of character designs/personality types in it. He called it something like 'database design' and talked about why he thought things had gone that way. It was interesting and I'm really pissed off I can't find it now!

If I can find it I'll post it, maybe it's interesting.

It was one of the producers of XAM'D, I remember it. He discussed database culture and how they were basically obligated to build characters out of archetypes like something created out of a database.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is that his excuse for xamd being bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It was one of the producers of XAM'D, I remember it. He discussed database culture and how they were basically obligated to build characters out of archetypes like something created out of a database.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

thorsilver posted:

Running poo poo into the ground just seems to be a thing humans do, sadly.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

*10 minutes of googling later*

nice

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think there's any Japanese women in Yoshi's Island

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah just found the interview with that dude: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2008/10/02/music/explosive-new-anime-packed-with-surprises/#.VrQEJZOLS8U

This is the guy I was thinking of though: http://www.japantoday.com/category/arts-culture/view/hiroki-azuma-the-philosopher-of-otaku-speaks

The book apparently goes into the 'database culture' thing in a lot of depth and is supposed to be a good read. Never got round to it though.

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's the world ends with you on mobile (android)? Mostly I'm asking about the control scheme, as I heard they fixed the compatibility issues