Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Clock is ticking on that eviction, better find a boat soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I have an idea. You need to go find a marina you want to live at and scout out the boats that never get visited. I spent a lot of time at marinas with my folks because my Dad was also boat-tarded. You'd always see a few lovely hulks sitting there, rotting away, that clearly never get visited or checked on. Scout one of these out and then just...take it. Then you can live life on the high seas, avoiding those blasted redcoats, drinking rainwater, eating salt pork, and trading fish for limes to fight the dreaded scurvy. Pay the iron price :black101:
e:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2016

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

BloodBag posted:

I have an idea. You need to go find a marina you want to live at and scout out the boats that never get visited. I spent a lot of time at marinas with my folks because my Dad was also boat-tarded. You'd always see a few lovely hulks sitting there, rotting away, that clearly never get visited or checked on. Scout one of these out and then just...take it. Then you can live life on the high seas, avoiding those blasted redcoats, drinking rainwater, eating salt pork, and trading fish for limes to fight the dreaded scurvy. Pay the iron price :black101:

Not even close to the worst idea in the thread

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BloodBag posted:

Also forge a document suggesting someone "sold" it to you. Then if you get caught, just pretend you were a rube who got duped by a con man and then you'll just have to give it back and probably not go to jail. Just play stupid--which should be pretty easy for you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pick posted:

Also forge a document suggesting someone "sold" it to you. Then if you get caught, just pretend you were a rube who got duped by a con man and then you'll just have to give it back and probably not go to jail. Just play stupid--which should be pretty easy for you.
Nah, don't even need to go that far. You're assuming anyone would want a stolen houseboat back, instead of feeling overjoyed that someone took their floating pyre of dollar bills off their hands.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm not nearly as bad with money as you all wish/think I am.

If this is true, the right credit card might not be the worst option on the table. Consider:

Step 1: Get one of those zero-interest promotional offers, the longest one you can find (some of them are up to 18 months now). Use that plus your current down payment savings to buy the boat. You can probably get $15K for this, though you'll probably come close to maxing out that card.

Step 2: Pay off the loan at the same rate you would if you had a mortgage. Your principal will drop really fast, because you're not accruing interest.

Step 3: A month or two before the promotional rate expires, go back to your bank and either "refinance" (if they'll let you). Use this to pay off the remaining credit card balance. You should have "lots of equity" by now so it shouldn't be too hard. Even if you can't, you can take out one of those 10% personal loans at this point and still come out ahead, because you've been paying so much straight to principal (right?).

Step 4: Drown in savings.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm going to make some posts on some boat forums and put up some flyers and see if maybe someone would rent out there boat to me through the year, that would still save me some money and give me some good boat experience.

Do you expect this to cost less than renting an apartement and if so why?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Unfortunately the guy is desperate for money and wasnt willing to work out a payment plan even with 1/4 down.
And none of this raises any red flags to you? Even if you could somehow buy a house boat without a bank loan, how are you expecting anyone to buy it from you once you realize you don't like living on a drafty, stinky water RV? Are you really this desperate to sink all your money into something you can't sell?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Pics of the boat/interior? I want to see what sort of squalor you're considering living in.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

n8r posted:

Pics of the boat/interior? I want to see what sort of squalor you're considering living in.

Ooh ooh me too!

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
It might be a better use of your time at the moment to look for apartments and not boats, seeing as you are getting kicked out of your place you knucklehead.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
OP have you considered getting a submarine instead? That way you only need to pay docking fees when you come ashore and you won't have to worry about ice forming around your hull in winter.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

It might be a better use of your time at the moment to look for apartments and not boats, seeing as you are getting kicked out of your place you knucklehead.

If it comes down to it, he can always just buy 2 of these:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=57280866&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832&categoryId=4417844

Lash them together, and put this on top:

http://www.backcountry.com/eureka-a...2F0NzExMDAwNDc=

After two months, he'll have saved literally (two) hundreds!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

SarutosZero posted:

OP have you considered getting a submarine instead? That way you only need to pay docking fees when you come ashore and you won't have to worry about ice forming around your hull in winter.

Something, something, screen door

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SarutosZero posted:

Sounds like houseboat he's going to end up with will probably self-convert into a submarine anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

But apartments are so overpriced, and he just can't compromise on having a smaller living space/longer commute/roommates like us plebians do. (Or on going back in time and not getting a dog if he's going to be that picky about apartments :v:)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

n8r posted:

Didnt take any. Was much nicer than what you are all probably imaginging though. The bathroom and kitchen were actually pretty nice and typical of what you would see in nicer cabins. So not full featured but nice and compact.

Haifisch posted:

But apartments are so overpriced, and he just can't compromise on having a smaller living space/longer commute/roommates like us plebians do. (Or on going back in time and not getting a dog if he's going to be that picky about apartments :v:)

Apartments are definitely overpriced. I just read a story the other day that said that since younger people are starting to move out of their parents houses but cant afford to buy becase of a weak economy and crippiling student loan debt that the rental market is more expensive then ever. It's not like the place I have now is some super posh downtown loft. It's a small 1 bedroom that allows a dog. Finding any place that allows pets is hard. All the people who brag about their $700 one floor apartments with pets either knew someone who got them a deal or got extremely lucky.

As to why I wont move into a van or something if I'm worried about cheap rent there are a couple of reasons. Number one is that living in a van would suck. The houseboat offers far more room and space and is really more like a floating cabin. Secondly I would worry about the health and safety of my dog and finally I wouldnt want to have to deal with the insane logistics of van living.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

As to why I wont move into a van or something if I'm worried about cheap rent there are a couple of reasons. Number one is that living in a van would suck. The houseboat offers far more room and space and is really more like a floating cabin. Secondly I would worry about the health and safety of my dog and finally I wouldnt want to have to deal with the insane logistics of van living.

What if you bought a RV those are pretty big

Although those dont build equity the same way a boat would!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Pets aren't a problem. Have your shrink write a note. If you don't have a shrink, resolve that. It'll pay for itself.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I think we're being too hard on him and offering him few viable alternatives. Give the dog up and share an apartment like a normal person? You monsters.

OP, have you considered riding the rails? It would not only be 100% free, but you would be able to travel to exotic paradises like Detroit and Omaha and you could meet new and interesting fugitives. You could write a memoir of your travels. Call it bindle equity.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What do the girlfriend and her family think of these developments?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Why not just buy a cabin? Hey, what about a tiny house? Just build yourself a human sized doghouse, plop it down in your gf's parents backyard and live in there until your wedding night when the parents will invite you to stay in the house now that you're all hitched to their daughter and whatnot.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

What do the girlfriend and her family think of these developments?

It doesn't matter, see the OP

quote:

I have a long term girlfriend, who is not on board with this idea at all but I'll talk her into it once she sees how cool the boat is.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

I Might Be Adam posted:

Why not just buy a cabin? Hey, what about a tiny house? Just build yourself a human sized doghouse, plop it down in your gf's parents backyard and live in there until your wedding night when the parents will invite you to stay in the house now that you're all hitched to their daughter and whatnot.

Because the water has to come to you to make a cabin float and who knows when that'll happen. How's he supposed to make an above water investment without a boat?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

You can lead a man to water, but you can't force him to make a rational decision.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/man-who-hijacked-banks-fine-print-to-flee-russia/484348.html

I think we found OP's soulmate.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nail Rat posted:

It doesn't matter, see the OP

I meant about getting evicted.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Did I miss how the dog is supposed to do its business when you're on a frozen lake?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Did I miss how the dog is supposed to do its business when you're on a frozen lake?

Why can't it poop and pee on the ice? Get it some spiky paw boots. I think pooping on the liquid lake would be harder. Maybe a plank?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Doc Hawkins posted:

I meant about getting evicted.

As long as he gets the boat in time, no one needs to know!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Why doesn't the dude just buy one of those semi popular tiny homes or cabins?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TLG James posted:

Why doesn't the dude just read the thread, especially the first post, where this question has been answered?

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

TLG James posted:

because living on land is for suckers who hate money

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

TLG James posted:

Don't ruin the thread.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TLG James posted:

Because this all has nothing to do with saving money, and everything to do with "this guy wants to live on a houseboat full time (in Minneapolis)", because he's all caught up in the idea of being able to go where he wants, without considering that probably of the majority of the time you aren't going to feel like actually putting in the effort to do so, and the rest of the time you're stuck in a small, questionably-insulated apartment with a bunch of maintenance issues that sways when you walk around.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Also there's nothing thrilling about surprising your girlfriend with the cabin you bought. That'd probably only creep her out because cabins are scary. Buy a house boat though, and boy howdy that's a real treat to show off.

He'll show her a great time out on the high lakes.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Because this all has nothing to do with saving money, and everything to do with "this guy wants to live on a houseboat full time (in Minneapolis)", because he's all caught up in the idea of being able to go where he wants, without considering that probably of the majority of the time you aren't going to feel like actually putting in the effort to do so, and the rest of the time you're stuck in a small, questionably-insulated apartment with a bunch of maintenance issues that sways when you walk around.

This very much has something to do with saving money as well. After running all the numbers and looking at rates should I take out a loan even a crazy %10 APR loan I would still come out ahead. Not by as much as I originally thought but at least a couple of hundred a month. That said I still think it'd be fun to do. And I dont know why people keep thinking these boats are so small. It'd probably be bigger than my actual apartment.

That said I think my money problems will be solved once my Left Shark super bowl bet pays off.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That said I think my money problems will be solved once my Left Shark super bowl bet pays off.

Lol hold on.

Your what?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Will this latest scheme pay off and will the OP finally be able to buy the lakehome of his dreams?? Tune in next episode to find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Veskit posted:

Lol hold on.

Your what?

Its simple, if the left shark guy shows up in the Super Bowl halftime show I'll be sitting pretty. Like sitting on the deck of a houseboat pretty.

• Locked thread