Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

Yeah keep that avatar imo

a mod gave it to me so I don't really have a choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

blue squares posted:

Chapter 2 onward. I'm on page 86 now

but on a positive note, I am loving Sophia this time around. I read the first half last night and will finish it today. I've never had such a turnaround with a book before in a such a short time. I guess it goes to show that some books have to be approached with the proper mindset.

When rereading it I found Wyatt the most irritating character, but he's really more of a foil for everyone else to want to be. I'd say it's worth perservering because there's a lot more great stuff in there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

tragic confession, I have only read 1 Pynchon and its Calling of Lot 49
I really didn't understand Crying of Lot 49 at all. maybe it was too American for me or something

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Little Life is like if Eli Roth wrote YA about adults and it's also not good, but I guess you 'have to read it'

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

Little Life is like if Eli Roth wrote YA about adults and it's also not good, but I guess you 'have to read it'

Little Life confirmed as book of the year

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Amory is a cartoon villain. He is never not a cartoon villain.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

His name is basically Amoral Ghoul

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

His name is basically Amoral Ghoul

oh jesus if this was deliberate

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really didn't understand Crying of Lot 49 at all. maybe it was too American for me or something

I think it's very much a product of its time, in a way that most Pynchon work is not. Maybe that's to be expected from an early work.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Great dialogue is my #1. It doesn't have to seem authentic or realistic but if it isn't then it better be good. Clever, funny, poetic, insightful, whatever. Regular prose can get away with the same but I have less tolerance for length there.

blue squares posted:

Do you like Pynchon? Because I feel like his characters are deliberately inauthentic. Maybe that's part of his postmodernism, in that pomo fiction is self-aware of its fictionality. But his characters exist more to make literary and philosophical points rather than to exist in the world of the book
There may be something to this because if you look at say The Crying of Lot 49 even some of the characters meant to seem relatively normal like Oedipa do absurd things at times that seem off. I don't think Pynchon is interested in telling stories about authentic 100% relatable people but I think he's theoretically capable of doing so.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think there's really anything to "get" about it as such. It's mid-60s counterculture, or possibly mocking counterculture, or possibly both, and the search for identity and meaning therein. You don't really have to know much more than the broad strokes ("there was TV and weed and a bunch of Beatles knockoffs") to get the idea, and the specific counterculture Pynchon invents for the book is entirely his thing.

I can't speak for all of Pynchon's work but Crying isn't impenetrable or anything.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Probably not, since none of the other characters have names like that. An interesting thing about Hallberg is that he has been a book critic for years and has a huge number of articles on The Millions, so his thoughts about literature are easy to find: http://www.themillions.com/author/ghallberg

Here's a really good one: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/magazine/why-write-novels-at-all.html?ref=magazine

And here's one that he wrote right as he was beginning work on City on Fire: http://www.themillions.com/2010/09/is-big-back.html

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 4, 2016

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Actually, the thing that makes Mason & Dixon good is the tangents on 18th century surveying techniques.

Or the things with the Werebeaver, the giant weed plants, and the hollow earth.

The things that make Mason & Dixon incredible are the parts with Jenkins' ear, the english worm, and the calendar shift.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
lithub has a p. cool list of new & upcoming books by african authors (ok, oyeyemi has lived in UK since she was 4, but she's cool): http://lithub.com/25-new-books-by-african-writers-you-should-read/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

When rereading it I found Wyatt the most irritating character, but he's really more of a foil for everyone else to want to be. I'd say it's worth perservering because there's a lot more great stuff in there.

his fate at the end in the monastery is what I aspire to

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016
Most of what I read is highbrow masquerading as lowbrow. Up your game.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr. Squishy I am sorry to say that I returned The Recognitions. I am vastly more interested in contemporary fiction, and I have a policy with non-current books: if I am finding the book to be a chore, and it's not some incredibly important book like Ulysses, I'm just not going to read it when I could be reading stuff that comes out now.

So I replaced it with a book whose jacket blurbs mention Gaddis twice: Naked Singularity by Sergio de la Pava. I'd never heard of it, but it was one of my amazing bookstore's recommended books, and the effusive praise makes it seem like a book I am going to be in love with. I'll report back once i start it next week or so.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

blue squares posted:

Mr. Squishy I am sorry to say that I returned The Recognitions. I am vastly more interested in contemporary fiction, and I have a policy with non-current books: if I am finding the book to be a chore, and it's not some incredibly important book like Ulysses, I'm just not going to read it when I could be reading stuff that comes out now.

So I replaced it with a book whose jacket blurbs mention Gaddis twice: Naked Singularity by Sergio de la Pava. I'd never heard of it, but it was one of my amazing bookstore's recommended books, and the effusive praise makes it seem like a book I am going to be in love with. I'll report back once i start it next week or so.

Naked Singularity is fantastic. I have no explanation for this but I always saw it as Infinite Jest if IJ was actually great, even though the novels don't have a lot in common. Prose style, maybe. Either way I found the book riveting once you get into it and I really hope you like it because the book doesn't get enough love.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jeep posted:

Naked Singularity is fantastic. I have no explanation for this but I always saw it as Infinite Jest if IJ was actually great, even though the novels don't have a lot in common. Prose style, maybe. Either way I found the book riveting once you get into it and I really hope you like it because the book doesn't get enough love.

I am about 10x more excited to read it now! Thank you!

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I have a similar problem. I loved JR, but I stalled out of The Recognitions not long after the introductory section. Maybe I'll give it another shot after I finish Ferrante.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

why's everyone reading ferrante

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mallamp posted:

es bueno

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im elena ferrante

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im elena ferrante

ur books r pretty good

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im elena ferrante

hosed up if true

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I'm one of the four people who are secretly Thomas Pynchon irl

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Apparently Annie Proulx is finishing up and publishing an 800 page epic this year.

I really liked The Shipping News so maybe I will give it a shot

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The new Julian Barnes novel is less than 200 pages and I can't wait because I'm bored of everything being stupidly overlong.

Even when a book is a reasonable length it's like publishers are ashamed of it. I picked up the UK edition of A Spool of Blue Thread the other day and they've printed it in comically large font with loads of white space in order to pretend that it's a 500 page novel rather than a 350 page one.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
200 pages of Barnes is 200 too many.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

mallamp posted:

it's good, and this thread tends to do things in waves

see also: that month when we all read dictionary of the khazars

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm reading the Tao Te Ching, is this real literature

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

peanut- posted:

The new Julian Barnes novel is less than 200 pages and I can't wait because I'm bored of everything being stupidly overlong.

There was actually a study recently that showed American fiction is getting longer and European fiction is getting shorter.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm reading the Tao Te Ching, is this real literature

If it can be used to practically enrich your life in any way then it is not real literature.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
but it's really good, one of the few books i took w/ me when moving cuntries

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I was told I won't fully understand it because I'm not Chinese c/d

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

I was told I won't fully understand it because I'm not Chinese c/d

sorry but its impossible to fully understand anything. I hope this doesn't shatter your worldview too much

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Popular Human posted:

it's good, and this thread tends to do things in waves

see also: that month when we all read dictionary of the khazars

That was a good month.

I am doing a challenge this year where I only read female authors so I am glad of the Ferrante and Proulx recommendations among others. I have a spreadsheet with like 50+ authors on it, at least 2 dozen from this thread. This also means I won't be able to participate in BoTM sorry Hieronymous

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Maybe I'll do all male challenge this year

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mallamp posted:

Maybe I'll do all male challenge this year

I get the distinct impression this is every year for you

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

That was a good month.

I am doing a challenge this year where I only read female authors so I am glad of the Ferrante and Proulx recommendations among others. I have a spreadsheet with like 50+ authors on it, at least 2 dozen from this thread. This also means I won't be able to participate in BoTM sorry Hieronymous

Read lots of poems by Sappho and also The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine de Pisan. I don't know if the second ones good but I'v heard it is and it's very very old and by a lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

sorry but its impossible to fully understand anything. I hope this doesn't shatter your worldview too much

This thread is a safe space from post-modernism

All Post-Modernist have to leave this thread now