Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it'll be back when the game comes out

i'm going to say who cares about japanese audio but please don't respond to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

People seemed to be assuming JP VA was in based on the size of the game so I wouldn't discount the "game journalist dumb" possibility

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Polygon wrote that birthright doesnt have same sex marriage.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Now that would shock me if it's true!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that would be a great way to cause a media shitstorm

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

it'll be back when the game comes out

i'm going to say who cares about japanese audio but please don't respond to me

I'm gonna respond anyway: I don't care 99.9% of the time, but more options are always nice.

Tae posted:

Birthright's same-sex option is in the 2nd gen, so I'll confidently chalk that up to "polygon dumb".

e: Where did you read that?

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 5, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Considering Nintendo has literally said the opposite of that, this is the journo being dumb, or specifically referring to male gay marriage.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i'd marry a gay bitch

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Motto posted:

I'm gonna respond anyway: I don't care 99.9% of the time, but more options are always nice.

Birthright's same-sex option is in the 2nd gen, so I'll confidently chalk that up to "polygon dumb".

e: Where did you read that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol yeah, they're just dumb

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hitori Omou was Renka's debut song, and Valshe voices a character. It does not surprise me at all that there's no Japanese option.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Maybe they just want it to be a pleasant surprise.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Terper posted:

Hitori Omou was Renka's debut song, and Valshe voices a character. It does not surprise me at all that there's no Japanese option.

This. I imagine the cost just wasn't worth it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Looper posted:

ouendan's music sucks

Now I know you're just trolling.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is Birthright supposed to be the easier of the new Fire Emblem games or something??

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh lmao I had a friend call me a puss for buying Birthright first. Welp I didn't know and I just wanted a new FE game. I'll get the other half later.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's cool, they're cool, you're cool. It still has challenge and bite to it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

iirc birthright actually has stronger enemies, it just also has grinding available and simpler map design

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's preloading now so I'm excited. Games are fun.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Really, there's no shame in playing Birthright first (or only playing Birthright).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wouldn't you want to play the easy one first and work your way up?

That's what I'm doing because I expect to like Conquest better but I still want to play both

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Wouldn't you want to play the easy one first and work your way up?

That's what I'm doing because I expect to like Conquest better but I still want to play both

I didn't know Birthright was the easier one until after I bought it. Either way I just want to play Fates and this is all that matters. I'm playing all the games anyways.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Mocking people for playing an easier thing is lovely, it's good that FE allows for a variety of skill levels now because it makes the series more accessible and more likely to continue existing. iirc Birthright is also pretty rough on Hard if you don't grind or minimally grind.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

I didn't know Birthright was the easier one until after I bought it. Either way I just want to play Fates and this is all that matters. I'm playing all the games anyways.

I'm just saying, your friend is dumb

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Cake Attack posted:

iirc birthright actually has stronger enemies, it just also has grinding available and simpler map design

You fight more ninjas in Conquest, and I think they're the most dangerous enemy type.

Playing Conquest on normal difficulty is still pretty easy, so don't let that be your only factor in deciding which version to play first. There's big jumps from Normal -> Hard and Hard -> Lunatic though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't really been following it closely since it's not out in Europe until ??? but I thought the idea was that Conquest is more like the GBA/GC/Wii FE games and Birthright is closer to Awakening

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 5, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What did rubbing the character with a stylus actually do? Did it just make them say a line and blush or something I don't get it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

voltcatfish posted:

What did rubbing the character with a stylus actually do? Did it just make them say a line and blush or something I don't get it

IDK but i wish all the creep anime poo poo would stay on the Vita

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't know what this thing is, but I don't like it tell you what

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Heads up, unless Japan goes full mobile or Sony makes another handheld, all that's gonna congregate on the NX handheld.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Motto posted:

Heads up, unless Japan goes full mobile or Sony makes another handheld, all that's gonna congregate on the NX handheld.

Why did it even go to the Vita to begin with? Niche audience or not I would think it would still be better to release on the console with the bigger userbase.

Unless the 3DS just wasn't powerful enough for titties I guess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mycot posted:

Why did it even go to the Vita to begin with? Niche audience or not I would think it would still be better to release on the console with the bigger userbase.

A lot are PS3/4 multiplats, so that's one reason. Plus the Vita's like the PSP in that it does relatively well domestically.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lord Ephraim posted:

You fight more ninjas in Conquest, and I think they're the most dangerous enemy type.

Playing Conquest on normal difficulty is still pretty easy, so don't let that be your only factor in deciding which version to play first. There's big jumps from Normal -> Hard and Hard -> Lunatic though.

What's the standard difficulty in Fates? In Awakening it was Hard, and Normal was easy mode in a funny hat.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Silver Falcon posted:

What's the standard difficulty in Fates? In Awakening it was Hard, and Normal was easy mode in a funny hat.

Normal in almost every game is the "Do you know how to play a game? Ok, then you can breeze through this with only minimal trouble" mode.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Normal in almost every game is the "Do you know how to play a game? Ok, then you can breeze through this with only minimal trouble" mode.

i mean, in most games normal is what was originally designed and higher difficulties are just adding onto that. the only exception i can think of off the top of my head is metal gear rising, where hard is the default

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mycot posted:

Devs like NIS are heavily aligned with Sony so their early presence there brought over other smaller devs within the same niche, and once they were all there it was easier to just stay there than to branch out.

It's similar to how all the bullet hell devs congregated on X360 last gen - that console didn't do poo poo in Japan but most of the devs couldn't afford to go multi-platform and many of their fans bought consoles just to play their games, so they stuck with it because it was easier and they felt like they owed it to their customers to stick to the one platform.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Looper posted:

i mean, in most games normal is what was originally designed and higher difficulties are just adding onto that. the only exception i can think of off the top of my head is metal gear rising, where hard is the default

American release of Mega Man 2. "Difficult" was the original version, "Normal" was made easier for us stupid Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

For some reason, the Donkey Kong Country games were made easier in Japan. More DK Barrels everywhere.