Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Holy gently caress, apparently I can do 6 solid dead hang +25lb chins clearing the bar. When the gently caress did that happen?

Ended up getting 6 touch and go reps with 495 too, had enough gas left in the tank for easily 7 and maybe 8 but my grip started to get suuuuper squirrely so I decided no mas. I really like alternating both dead stop and touch and go every so often, you get the absolute strength from dead stop while at the same time providing the time under tension and work capacity at a higher weight with touch and go than you'd be able to manage otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Seriously you can get swole as gently caress just doing (proper form and not half rear end'n) pull-ups/dips with added weight while ramping it up

I think at my peak I was banging out 6-8 with about 35 lbs. Felt like a beast

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Just took my WOCS PT test. Apparently the answer to not running in the cold is squats and swimming. I ran a 15:20 and have avoided running for the past year.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Seriously you can get swole as gently caress just doing (proper form and not half rear end'n) pull-ups/dips with added weight while ramping it up

I think at my peak I was banging out 6-8 with about 35 lbs. Felt like a beast

My back/bis day starts off with 4 sets of 25 pull ups while wearing my plate carrier w/ 5 loaded mags. 2-3 minute rest in between sets. :getin:

But I'm also socially awkward as gently caress so it's pretty useless.

My life is min/maxed like my Fallout character builds.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Rat posted:

while wearing my plate carrier w/ 5 loaded mags.

The Rat posted:

But I'm also socially awkward as gently caress so it's pretty useless.

You don't say

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Endbuster posted:

Just took my WOCS PT test. Apparently the answer to not running in the cold is squats and swimming. I ran a 15:20 and have avoided running for the past year.

Swimming is amazing for cardiovascular endurance, like probably just as good as running, the only thing it lacks is increasing muscular endurance in the legs. If you added like 1 or 2 days of moderate running, even just 2-3 miles you'd probably be able to shave 30+ seconds off your time, if you're into that kind of thing.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

MurderBot posted:

Swimming is amazing for cardiovascular endurance, like probably just as good as running, the only thing it lacks is increasing muscular endurance in the legs. If you added like 1 or 2 days of moderate running, even just 2-3 miles you'd probably be able to shave 30+ seconds off your time, if you're into that kind of thing.

Yeah, its warmer again now. I went from a 18:00 minute 2 mile down to that 15:20 in about a month. There's way more time in my legs and once I start actually running again twice a week I will break 13:30 like I used to. The run is the only thing keeping me from getting 300's again. Also Wtf how do fat people do situps. I lost 2 inches on my waist. 32 to 30 inch. The amount of mobility I had lost from being skinny-chubby was unreal. Something like 50 sit ups in 2 min to 87. Being fat is stupid. Don't do it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Swimming is worlds better than running for cardio

In fact it's the absolute best cardio you could do (besides running stairs)

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've been considering getting back into triathlons due to my increase in running and maintaining a decent amount of miles on the bike, mainly because swimming is a ton of fun and going fast in the water is hella dope

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Endbuster posted:

Being fat is stupid. Don't do it.

Agreed

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also even if you lose fat you don't lose the fat cells so being fat and then skinny makes you more prone to get fat again :tipshat:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

This is true. keeping weight off after going from 250 lbs to 160 loving sucks balls

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

MurderBot posted:

This is true. keeping weight off after going from 250 lbs to 160 loving sucks balls

I was like, 134 lbs right up until I turned 26 then BOOM congrats you are 155 now. I lost it all back down to 140. I got some bros into working out with me in the basement doing conditioning poo poo a few days a week and they thought it was a big lie that if you are fat its hard to lose, but if you were skinny, then fat, its easier to lose again.

I totally didn't eat the best over the holidays and still lost a pound a week. Those fuckers gained weight and complain that my workouts aren't helping.

Bitch, you lose weight in the kitchen... you get strong in the gym. And your rear end ain't outrunning a fork.

Also stairs are dumb and my knees hate them. I'll be a bitch an take that hill over there instead.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 5, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

idk when I do my bi-annual "get swole" thing with a tiny bit of cardio I always lose a ton of weight and get shredded whilst eating everything

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

you def werent a fatty growing up. don't quote me on it, but I read somewhere that once you hit about 25 years old you can't really make any more fat cells. so even if you do get fat, the ones you have will just stretch out all weird and you will look pretty retarded. Men hold the most fat cells around their waist. the only way they get into your limbs is if you were a total hog growing up. Thats how people end up looking like watermelons with straw legs, versus some dude with a huge panniculous and thunder thighs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean I was a chubster in 6th grade before I grew into it like everyone else.

Also when peeps get lipo the cells are still there and fat can manifest in other parts of your body like back

Pretty much just don't get fat

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

STR +++

CHA 0

(I only use the plate carrier cause I have no other methods of adding weight to myself for pull ups and dips in the house. :shobon:)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

the rat is a tru warrior in need of a war. dont go starting nothing if you arent prepared for that poo poo my dude

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

MurderBot posted:

You're not swimming right if you're not getting a leg workout hth.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Swimming utilizes legs but a majority of the leg power comes from your hip flexors and core to propel yourself through the water, also the majority of propulsion is from your upper body rather than your legs. In running the physiology is mainly based around a variation of concentric and eccentric movements within a large range of motion that you don't get with swimming, as well as a greater use on other muscles that play a smaller role in swimming such as the vastus medialis and rectus femoris. To be a faster runner, you have to run, and while swimming will help with "dem baby gainz" and allow for individuals to run with little run distance, it will never turn anyone into a fast runner.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 5, 2016

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I swam competitively for 8 years and it's not the same. Your kicking power mostly comes from your core. Your forward motion comes heavily from your arms. Your leg muscles are there to keep your legs in the correct kicking technique. The only caveat is the breast stroke since you are extending and retracting your legs from the knee down while using your hip flexors/abductors to squeeze your legs and push water. Even then it's your arms that doing most of the work.

So yeah, swimming. I dunno how awful your technique is. But it really doesn't do much for you leg endurance.

It's still really good for your overall endurance though.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 5, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I mean, I'm not going to go into a pissing match about who's more qualified on swimming or whatever, but a good swim workout will definitely activate your upper leg muscles. But yes your power does come from your core predominantly.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Yeah, I wasn't meaning it like a pissing match. I just swam (even coached technique) all those years and was in incredible shape, but still couldn't run a 9 minute mile to save my life. I was cut as gently caress though, from the year round swimming.

I only got good at running once I started squatting and running 60-120s and sprinting up hills and poo poo. It was like my legs were still strong as poo poo, but were missing that something to make running fast possible. It just sounded like you were saying that swimming would make you a powerful runner (given the context).

AAANNNYWAY.

I saw a dude drop the bar on his head doing an inclined tricep extension this morning.

Idiot.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

How the gently caress do you drop a bar on your head doing a tricep extension

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Whip Slagcheek posted:

How the gently caress do you drop a bar on your head doing a tricep extension

Do it wrong. Like really wrong.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
lol

a dude unracked one side of a barbell a couple days ago. Guess where the other half went when he completely unloaded one side?

Luckily nobody was hurt.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 5, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I always laugh when people don't rack the other side of their barbell and it goes tumbling over as soon as they lift it up.

Also, people that grab two different dumbbells and don't notice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

me trying to get my life together this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlCIIhvIQg

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
life hack: you can leave 2 plates on one side of a regular olympic bar but not 3.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

me trying to get my life together this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlCIIhvIQg

nice bitch pad you pussy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I always want to lecture people about how counter intuitive those pads are and to never touch them

But they also don't wanna break 90 because "it's bad for your knees!" So ces't la vie

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

But they also don't wanna break 90 because "it's bad for your knees!" So ces't la vie

This one is my favorite. One time my department head who rarely attended group pt told me I was encouraging people to get hurt when I made sure everyone who could did full rom squats (no weight added, just normal pt stuff). Like straight bro science poo poo and I was all just alright sir I'll take it into consideration.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've gotten over my hesitation to go beyond my 90 by putting small weights under my heels. It's helped with my flexibility while not compromising on my form. I also have stupidly long legs in relation to the rest of my body.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I've gotten over my hesitation to go beyond my 90 by putting small weights under my heels. It's helped with my flexibility while not compromising on my form. I also have stupidly long legs in relation to the rest of my body.

You could also get some olympic lifting shoes. The little wedges are perfect and you don't have to worry about stepping wrong on the little weights. I say this as someone who spent a long rear end time using the little weight method and when I bought some wedge shoes it was like a miracle in my lower portion.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

You could also get some olympic lifting shoes. The little wedges are perfect and you don't have to worry about stepping wrong on the little weights. I say this as someone who spent a long rear end time using the little weight method and when I bought some wedge shoes it was like a miracle in my lower portion.

Buying and using lifting shoes is by far the best thing I did to improve my form, and by extension get more out of my workouts..

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

vulturesrow posted:

Buying and using lifting shoes is by far the best thing I did to improve my form, and by extension get more out of my workouts..

You'll pry my Romaleos from my cold, dead hands.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I've been using the same lovely pair of converse for the past 4-5 years

I really need new ones since these things are blown the gently caress out, but drat are they great for the gym.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

elite_garbage_man posted:

I've been using the same lovely pair of converse for the past 4-5 years

I really need new ones since these things are blown the gently caress out, but drat are they great for the gym.

Replace them with a real pair of shoes. To be fair, when I first started lifting seriously I started out with Converse and they are definitely a step up from trainers. But going from them to lifting shoes was night and day for me.

And none of you assholes better be lifting in Vibrams.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bro if you've never done squats or deads in vibrams you've never lived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

Replace them with a real pair of shoes. To be fair, when I first started lifting seriously I started out with Converse and they are definitely a step up from trainers. But going from them to lifting shoes was night and day for me.

And none of you assholes better be lifting in Vibrams.

I wear those vibram-soled new balances. Deal with it.