Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Turtlicious posted:

For shits and giggles to show how bad this phone interview went, I got Raid mixed up with SATA so I answered that they were just different ports on the mobo, except 0 was the master drive.

Basically shoot me in the loving face.

Do you mean IDE/PATA? Pretty certain SATA doesn't have master/slave configurations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Turtlicious posted:

For shits and giggles to show how bad this phone interview went, I got Raid mixed up with SATA so I answered that they were just different ports on the mobo, except 0 was the master drive.

Basically shoot me in the loving face.

I am almost certain we have all had the same disastrous interview you did. I got destroyed for a Linux admin job a couple of years ago that helped put me in place with where my skills really were.

Interviewing is hard and it takes practice. Have a drink, learn from your mistakes, and you'll do better the next time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Funny enough the absolutely soul crushing technical interview I had was the job that hired me. The boss has everyone take the wonderlic test and those results and a charming personality got me through. "You can teach anyone IT if they have a certain aptitude." The only time those stupid tests have done me any good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My first interview in IT went so poorly I was thoroughly convinced I was an idiot and in the wrong field

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My first IT interview, they asked me what SAS was. And then what iSCSI was (I confused it with eSATA). I felt really stupid.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I failed fizzbuzz after programming for 3 years.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel a lot better, I think I'm going to get some more Certs, and take a long honest look at my abilities.

But holy poo poo, I've never felt so loving dumb in my entire life, then when trying to google Raid systems while on a phone interview.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I failed fizzbuzz after programming for 3 years.

I had to Google what this was, but it sounded fun so I gave it a shot.

code:
// FizzBuzz.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	for (int i = 1; i <= 100; i++) {
		if (i % 3 == 0) {
			if (i % 5 == 0)
				cout << "fizzbuzz";
			else
				cout << "fizz";
		}
		else if (i % 5 == 0) {
			cout << "buzz";
		}
		else cout << i;

cout << "\n";
	}

system("pause");
    return 0;
}
I'm sure there's way more elegant ways to do this, but I haven't done anything in C++ since college and only code C# and Javascript on occasion as a hobby.

I had to look up how cout worked, but if pseudocode was allowed, I probably would have passed.

Edit: I had a header file I really didn't need.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 5, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

There is not a day that goes by where I don't think "but at least we aren't beholden to PCI."

I'm in the midst of reviewing, revamping, and straight up creating security requirements, policies and procedures just to make sure that all the logs and associated documented controls are in place to satisfy PCI audits and SOC 2 audit requests from our customers. And since we're looking at expanding our services in the health care realm, I've also got HIPPA to keep in mind as well. Fortunately, 3rd party SOX audits for our department will be pretty easy, since our stuff doesn't really touch anything that involves financial transactions other than just another encrypted leg of the journey for data in flight.

I'm trying to set things up so we can just gather up the info and say here you go, in a matter of days. I mean I'll most likely need to spend an unconscionable amount of times in meetings *explaining* poo poo to auditors, but it will free up the systems guys of digging this poo poo up for that amount of time.

It's a huge pain in the rear end and sometimes I feel like Sisyphus pushing boulders, but it will be worth it in the end.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 5, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

flosofl posted:

Fortunately, 3rd party SOX audits for our department will be pretty easy, since our stuff doesn't really touch anything that involves financial transactions other than just another encrypted leg of the journey for data in flight.

They looked at me like I was crazy to lock the financial stuff in a rack, where the only way in was an 802.1X certificate + windows login credentials + encrypted tunnel. Now I can print a quarterly report automatically of who had access to the "jail" right out of our HR system. Magic! Auditors get reports, Finance and Accounting get seamless access. All they know is Oracle works.

There was teeth gnashing at first (before we had 802.1x rolled out it was a non-split tunnel vpn w/ 2FA.) But once we drew a quick sketch of it for the auditors they stopped caring at all.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
While we're on the subject, everybody go look at 2fast2fizzbuzz

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Or fizzbuzz enterprise edition

https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 5, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Apparently, some people dismiss the nested if statements as ugly or bad coding.

First off, gently caress those guys. But if you really feel the need to do it without nested if statements (or if-else statements, for that matter), you can do this:

code:
#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	bool match;
		match = false;
		if (i % 3 == 0) {
			cout << "fizz";
			match = true;
		}
		if (i % 5 == 0) {
			cout << "buzz";
			match = true;
		}
		if (match == false)
			cout << i;
		cout << "\n";
	}

system("pause");
    return 0;
}
It's slower, the code path is longer, and it takes up more memory. But it makes some people happy, I guess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

They looked at me like I was crazy to lock the financial stuff in a rack, where the only way in was an 802.1X certificate + windows login credentials + encrypted tunnel. Now I can print a quarterly report automatically of who had access to the "jail" right out of our HR system. Magic! Auditors get reports, Finance and Accounting get seamless access. All they know is Oracle works.

There was teeth gnashing at first (before we had 802.1x rolled out it was a non-split tunnel vpn w/ 2FA.) But once we drew a quick sketch of it for the auditors they stopped caring at all.

Way back at $JOB-1, I started in the Crypto group. We had a single box made of solid steel that was put together with tamper-proof screws, had a physical alarm that went off for power failure, NVRAM encased in tamper-proof X-Ray opaque epoxy, locked in a rack in an limited access data center, in a more limited access cage. The only way you could unlock console access for it (no remote vty at all for this thing) was with a special smart handheld loaded with a client certificate and a smart card inserted that had to be checked out two people from a safe controlled by someone else. This box was basically the Master Key for SWIFT transactions (moving VAST amounts of currency between banks electronically)

That was my first experience in a SOX controlled environment. That and then moving to the Global Security Group an moving up the ranks over 6 years gave me a really good toolset for what I'm doing now. For people interested in a info-sec career who ever get a chance to work at a medium to large financial institution, jump at it. It's one thing learn about it from white-papers and books, it's a completely different thing to create, implement and practice extremely stringent security controls in the real world. If you're lucky, and I've been very lucky in my career, you'll move from responsibility to responsibility, and get to do things like risk assessments, pen-testing, and leading an incident response team.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 5, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

Apparently, some people dismiss the nested if statements as ugly or bad coding.

First off, gently caress those guys. But if you really feel the need to do it without nested if statements (or if-else statements, for that matter), you can do this:

code:
#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	bool match;
		match = false;
		if (i % 3 == 0) {
			cout << "fizz";
			match = true;
		}
		if (i % 5 == 0) {
			cout << "buzz";
			match = true;
		}
		if (match == false)
			cout << i;
		cout << "\n";
	}

system("pause");
    return 0;
}
It's slower, the code path is longer, and it takes up more memory. But it makes some people happy, I guess.

You don't need the 0's and the match could be written as if (! match)

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 5, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My first interview they used "S.Q.L." and "Sequel" interchangeably. I got confused because while I had setup and used SQL in the past, I had never actually talked to someone (using speech) about the technology. :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I worked with a tech today and told him to RDP to a server and he was confused until I opened the program and he said "OH! Remote Desktop! I never heard it called RDP before!"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Internet Explorer posted:

My first interview they used "S.Q.L." and "Sequel" interchangeably. I got confused because while I had setup and used SQL in the past, I had never actually talked to someone (using speech) about the technology. :v:
When I interviewed for my second system administrator job, the director kept using the abbreviation "SA" and I got confused because I had previously used that acronym very extensively in the context of Microsoft Software Assurance, and the idea that someone might use it for "system administrator" literally never crossed my mind.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Glenfiddich or Tullamore Dew a better sorrow whiskey?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Scotch is never sorrowful; it is pensive. Irish whiskey can be sorrowful though, so go Tullamore.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
HOLY poo poo GUYS.

THE DUDE IS BACK.
http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude

quote:

code:
What's new in 6.34rc16 (2015-Dec-04 14:10):

*) dude - “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated”;

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Scotch is never sorrowful; it is pensive. Irish whiskey can be sorrowful though, so go Tullamore.
The Irish are less about sorrow and more about crippling guilt (you should expect nothing less from a nation of Catholics). Sorrow's more of a bourbon thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vulture Culture posted:

The Irish are less about sorrow and more about crippling guilt (you should expect nothing less from a nation of Catholics). Sorrow's more of a bourbon thing.

Bourbon is the drink of a victor.
American whiskey is made from the tears of sorrow.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Evan Williams green label.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

psydude posted:

Macallan 12 or bust.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Whichever one is more full.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Macallan 12 or bust.

I'm an Islay man. Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig are my game.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Someone mentioned git in #powershell on freenode and I always thought it was a huge complicated thing but then they linked to a how-to setup a local git server on windows and this is the greatest thing ever. No longer will my scripts be named script0101.ps1, script0105.ps1, script0105-fixed.ps1, script0105-fixedforreal.ps1

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Danith posted:

Someone mentioned git in #powershell on freenode and I always thought it was a huge complicated thing but then they linked to a how-to setup a local git server on windows and this is the greatest thing ever. No longer will my scripts be named script0101.ps1, script0105.ps1, script0105-fixed.ps1, script0105-fixedforreal.ps1

Agreed, I'm exclusively using git for a variety of Microsoft-centric scripts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

You don't need the 0's and the match could be written as if (! match)

I knew the if (! match) thing, but I didn't know that you didn't need the 0's (or rather, I probably knew about it years ago and have since forgotten). I figured writing if (match == false) was a bit clearer for someone who didn't code. What would the syntax for the modulus operators be in that case? Just if (i % 3)?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Danith posted:

I couldn't find a good git guide for Powershell so I just downloaded Sourcetree and use the GUI to handle everything. I don't even really feel bad about it since I hear the devs next to me constantly talking about how they don't get git either :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KillHour posted:

I knew the if (! match) thing, but I didn't know that you didn't need the 0's (or rather, I probably knew about it years ago and have since forgotten). I figured writing if (match == false) was a bit clearer for someone who didn't code. What would the syntax for the modulus operators be in that case? Just if (i % 3)?

Yes, that should work just fine.

Edit. Apparently not. I've been programming in plangs too much or some poo poo and am now apparently retarded. :smith:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 5, 2016

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Wanna link me to that git thing?

On the same subject: Visual Studio Code is free, has git integration and is surprisingly awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

psydude posted:

I'm an Islay man. Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig are my game.

Gross.

Also, seriously guys? You are interrupting our alcohol chat here.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gross.

Also, seriously guys? You are interrupting our alcohol chat here.
It's a long game, Git will ultimately amplify the number of problem drinkers.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Swink posted:

On the same subject: Visual Studio Code is free, has git integration and is surprisingly awesome.

Is there an easy walk through how to setup it up?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Swink posted:

yes please, that sounds fantastic.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For the record, you're all wrong. You have a glass of each and you drink them in turn, rotating constantly.

e: CAPS loving up my posts

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

For the record, you're all wrong. You have a glass of each and you drink them in turn, rotating constantly.

e: CAPS loving up my posts
You just mix the red wine and the white wine together, and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scotch is gross you're all gross