Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Panic owns owns owns! I made an idiot move that left my ranger girl exposed to some jerk in an alley, then his buddy does mind-magic which just makes her run out of being flanked, take full cover and miss a shot...

Which set a semi truck on fire and did six damage to that no good space nerd the next turn :getin:

edit: oh my gosh i shot a pectoid point blank and missed and his idle/dodge pose looked like he was grabbing the gun away and i freaked

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Just four minutes to go before unlocking is complete, assuming something else doesn't gently caress up along the way. Wish me luck.

Hard-drive failure imminent. :xcom:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yay the game is finally out! Okay doing the dumb tutorial mission, but getting into the story, finish the tutorial mission and---

Computer is hard locked. Couldn't even ALT+F4 or CTRL+ALT+DEL (or CTRL+SHIFT+ESC). Not a great start. I can't remember the last time a game did that to me.

Rebooted and updated my drivers and lowered the game settings, but I dunno whats up. Hrm.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Phew, that was a fun 12 hours of killing aliens. My squad is coming together quite nicely and I've yet to have a single death on Commander. Some definite close ones of course, but now I've left things for a little bit and I need to go to new places and raid their Blacksites, or I lose.

I was curious and checked out the game over cutscene. It's, uh, pretty rubbish. Just Avatar project is done, XCOM is defeated, nothing specific or anything.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Internet Kraken posted:

How bad is it that instead of actually playing this game I'm sitting in the character pool screen making stupid poo poo

Ah yes, the time Death joined the Foreign Legion...

Edit- and now I want kepis and those French round box hat things

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just got a retaliation mission where I have only 4 civilians on my side of the map, and there is a group of 5 stacked on top of each other on the other side of the map being slaughtered one by one per turn. Yay.

Seriously, the quality of the missions vary wildly, which is the danger of procedurally generated maps, I suppose.

Edit: The roof fell on them due to the damage done by the aliens shooting at them and they all died, heh.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 5, 2016

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I am so hyped even though I have been unable to proceed past the fuckin' Gatecrasher mission because it keeps crashing to desktop or freezing before I can even get an opening ambush move. I'm going to try a couple more times before I give up and be a grown up that gets some reasonable amount of sleep.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

PantsBandit posted:

I really hope these goon characters are self-portraits because these are some seriously dorky looking dudes

mine actually looks sorta like me! down to the cigarette even.

I restrained myself from adding aviators even though I rock them whenever it's even moderately sunny

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Oh dear, looks like I need to work from home this morning. My son is err sick.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Is there a way to paste text into the bio field or do you have to do it by hand for every soldier?

Anyway, heres a shitload of dumb goofy soldiers for you guys

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k942tha9qwitmf4/Idiots.bin?dl=0

Thanks for this, some good poo poo in here.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Geight posted:

Anything I can do about the game seemingly having no sound? Verified the game cache, had two files missing, but apparently those weren't the sound files.

restarting fixed it :downs:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Who is this man and why did he steal Bradford's sweater.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I'm having the same problem I had with jabor.bin - the game opens the file and can see the character's name, but nothing happens when you try to import it. Not even an error message, it just doesn't show up in the character list afterward.

Has anyone else successfully added this character? Trying to figure out if it's me or the file.

Anyway, the pool is updated with everyone else that sent me something.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What do I have to do to get a character into the goon pool? Does exporting it in the game do everything?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Furnaceface posted:

This post terrifies me. I dont mind timed missions as a way of breaking up the pace, but having it be the majority of them is going to get tedious quick, even when I set it to babby difficulty.
I think I had one non-timed mission out of six so far. Despite being my first snake tits encounter it kind of almost bored me, timed missions make the game much better. Although I had to savescum the first two because the timers tripped me up.

Internet Kraken posted:

How bad is it that instead of actually playing this game I'm sitting in the character pool screen making stupid poo poo

I don't know how bad it is, but rest assured that you're not alone.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I know people were saying how great Phantom was during Beagle's stream and I am sure it is but man I am loving hacking aliendudes to pieces with ease

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
How do we access a saved character in the pool so we can link it here? I see a characterPool directory but it only contains the default "demos&replays" and "developers". I exported to a new pool called "me".

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

PantsBandit posted:

What do I have to do to get a character into the goon pool? Does exporting it in the game do everything?

Select it in the Character Pool list, pick export, create a new pool named after that character, click on that pool and export the character into it. Then pick up that file (Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\CharacterPool\Importable\[whatever name].bin) and mail it to me.

Davethulhu posted:

How do we access a saved character in the pool so we can link it here? I see a characterPool directory but it only contains the default "demos&replays" and "developers". I exported to a new pool called "me".

Almost there - look for a subdirectory called "importable" and you should see "me.bin".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When does the tutorial end? I'd like to restart after it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm having the same problem I had with jabor.bin - the game opens the file and can see the character's name, but nothing happens when you try to import it. Not even an error message, it just doesn't show up in the character list afterward.

Has anyone else successfully added this character? Trying to figure out if it's me or the file.

Anyway, the pool is updated with everyone else that sent me something.

I think I figured it out - if you rename the character pool file, it doesn't import correctly. Not exactly sure why, but I'd guess the actual name you gave the pool is kept in the character data somewhere (and it fucks up if it doesn't match).

I've re-exported to a pool with the right name, hopefully this one works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9no9c81teawgol9/Jabor.bin?dl=0

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not seeing any problems with the framerate so far, but my new rig admittedly is pretty beefy so I might just be brute-forcing it.

Holy poo poo Bradford you sound so different.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm gonna play this game for a longggggggggggggggggggg time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

necrobobsledder posted:

I am so hyped even though I have been unable to proceed past the fuckin' Gatecrasher mission because it keeps crashing to desktop or freezing before I can even get an opening ambush move. I'm going to try a couple more times before I give up and be a grown up that gets some reasonable amount of sleep.

Yeah it just crashed for me for the second time, this is pretty hosed.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Sorry if this a dumb question , but what is the incentive of the Goon Pool Characters you lads and ladies are sharing?
Did I miss a function or gameplay Layer here?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got this motherfucker as a rookie for the third tutorial mission, his first major action was to crit a sectoid so maybe there was past history or something?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Sorry if this a dumb question , but what is the incentive of the Goon Pool Characters you lads and ladies are sharing?
Did I miss a function or gameplay Layer here?

Goons getting ganked by Alien scum is its own reward.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

I really hope these goon characters are self-portraits because these are some seriously dorky looking dudes

A lot of the dude faces and some ladies are pretty lumpy, you're going to struggle to make an attractive guy. They're fine in game but will never capture my erotic potential.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

immortal flow posted:

Wow, this game is terribly optimized :sigh: The only graphics setting that actually makes a difference is the anti-aliasing, even so it's chugging at 20-45 fps.

People even with ludicrously beastly machines are reporting getting inexplicably shite framerates, how on earth did Firaxis miss this during development?

And yet people with oldish integrated graphics are saying it runs nice and smooth. I suspect this game has alien communist sympathies.

(For real it's probably an interaction between AA and one or more of the higher-quality graphics effects, I had always thought that some of those newer UE graphical options like SSAO weren't even compatible with old style AA. :shrug:)

Pwnstar posted:

That's a bit annoying. I wanted to make a sharpshooter with that Navy Seals Sniper with 300 confirmed kills quote but typing it all out could take almost 2 minutes!
a macro that will type text from the clipboard rather than paste is not difficult

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I grenaded someone and no one yelled at me. Do no longer lose anything by blowing up enemies, or did they just decide not to tell you off for it anymore?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LibbyM posted:

I grenaded someone and no one yelled at me. Do no longer lose anything by blowing up enemies, or did they just decide not to tell you off for it anymore?

I think it makes it less likely for them to drop loot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speedball posted:

I think it makes it less likely for them to drop loot.

It's more that if they WOULD have dropped loot, they no longer do. It tells you the loot was destroyed if they explode to death.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah it's not showing my .bin file in the importable directory either. Not sure what's up, guess I'll try again tomorrow.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm not the only one getting weirdly long (like 2 mins+) load times right? At first I figured maybe it's just my lovely laptop but I'm playing off an SSD and loading a save from inside a mission takes like 5 secs. Is there just THAT much stuff that it's doing while it generates a mission/map?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

It's more that if they WOULD have dropped loot, they no longer do. It tells you the loot was destroyed if they explode to death.

Typically it's just proper aliens and ADVENT officers who drop loot now, right?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VDay posted:

I'm not the only one getting weirdly long (like 2 mins+) load times right? At first I figured maybe it's just my lovely laptop but I'm playing off an SSD and loading a save from inside a mission takes like 5 secs. Is there just THAT much stuff that it's doing while it generates a mission/map?

Remember, the missions are being procedurally generated. So that takes some time.

Speedball posted:

Typically it's just proper aliens and ADVENT officers who drop loot now, right?

I've had grunts drop phat loot as well, so it's not just the higher ups. Though what you get does seem to be determined by who you shoot, so aliens are more likely to drop power cores.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I was seeing 20 FPS at the title screen (!) and ~45 FPS in game with the maximum settings it defaulted to on my 970. I suspect the 8xMSAA is the culprit. I turned it down to FXAA and texture quality down one tick and now it's basically stable 60, looks the same.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

So you only lose out if they would have had loot? That's nice to know.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any tips for the first blacksite?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone explain quickdraw vs lightning hands? Also lolllll at my entire squad of 10 people getting killed, apart from 2 snipers, in my first base defense equivalent mission.
edit: quickdraw says 'firing a pistol does not cost an action' and lightning hands says 'firing your pistol on your first action no longer ends your turn'. Did it end my turn before? If it did, what is the point of quickdraw, at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Man usually when I get all hyped about a game it's always a letdown. Not this time.

VDay posted:

I'm playing this on a 4 year old PC and a regular hard drive and my load times are maybe 20-30 seconds.