Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Somebody tell Kanan that manspreading like that in a cantina is how Greedo can blast your genitals off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

porfiria posted:

I think the average reaction these days is probably mild indifference.

True, if only because these days people don't recognize a lot of CG when they're looking right at it. In Fury Road, the most jarring effect was a poorly-executed practical shot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Motto posted:

True, if only because these days people don't recognize a lot of CG when they're looking right at it. In Fury Road, the most jarring effect was a poorly-executed practical shot.

There's kinda different tiers. At one level people don't recognize things like digital compositing because it's blended in so well.

At another level, people don't care that it looks fake because they like it. This can be stuff like talking to a puppet in ESB or it can be the Transformers being obvious CGI but they kick rear end so ooh rah.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the stupid bobbing bird in TFA took me out of that movie more than any terrible CGI ever has, honestly alot of the practical effects in TFA seemed bad to me. like they were trying really hard to make them look like practical effects instead of good.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Elfgames posted:

the stupid bobbing bird in TFA took me out of that movie more than any terrible CGI ever has, honestly alot of the practical effects in TFA seemed bad to me. like they were trying really hard to make them look like practical effects instead of good.

The Force Awakens is a good movie that makes fun of you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Elfgames posted:

like they were trying really hard to make them look like practical effects instead of good.

lol

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they spent too much time making the real stuff look real guys

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Empress Theonora posted:

The prequels were definitely insufficiently reverant to Hera.

And I can't think of a single effect that pays tribute to Zeus!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

PBS Newshour posted:

they spent too much time making the real stuff look real guys

A practical effect looking like an obvious puppet does not make it look real.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

RBA Starblade posted:

And I can't think of a single effect that pays tribute to Zeus!

... Not even the wizard who can summon lightning at will?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Filthy Casual posted:

please enlighten me to the satire inherent in the bobby bird or the weird demon creature that pops up for like half a second like a bad horror house animatronic, i am legitimately all ears.

heck maybe it was CG and i'm being weird.

also i reeally hope snoke is some tiny alien with a little person complex cause i find the giant full color hologram too silly.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If you are interested in VFX and compositing here is a 45m video about it in TFA. Also talks about the cooperation between the practical FX and VFX groups, tidbits like BB-8's wiggly antenna came from an animation test using the CAD model the practical guys made to mill the BB-8 puppet's parts, and that it took 2 years to figure out what color the Millenium Falcon is/what miniature to base it off of (they went with the 5-foot model from ANH). Also the interviewer asks "how do you convey emotion?" in the most robotic way possible, he's a man a goon could look up to.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BetterAntiqueEasteuropeanshepherd.webm
https://zippy.gfycat.com/SkeletalUnluckyLadybug.webm
https://zippy.gfycat.com/AffectionatePlasticElephant.webm
Maz

If you want to know more about deep compositing, you can nerd up here https://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-art-of-deep-compositing/

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 5, 2016

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Maz looks a lot better at the end there than in the actual movie, not sure why. Maybe they should have 3D printed that model as a puppet and gotten the best of both worlds.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

in that second gif there is that Takodana or D'Qar? If it's Takodana I don't remember Maz's statue-castle being that big

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Filthy Casual posted:

You are abusing my material.

As has been pointed out, TFA is nonsatirical. There is nothing provicative about this pecking-bird effect.

In fact, I don't recall any other scene, in any other film, where such a creature is placed in the foreground and used to establish a setting.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
What bird are people referring to?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Ya, same

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Lord Krangdar posted:

Maz looks a lot better at the end there than in the actual movie, not sure why. Maybe they should have 3D printed that model as a puppet and gotten the best of both worlds.

She's not composited at the end. There's nothing wrong with the model, it's just that animation and compositing are difficult to do convincingly.I get the feeling that's the case with a lot of CGI models.

Zoran posted:

For me, Fox McCloud's character model in Star Fox Adventures on the GameCube was one of those "WHOA! How did they do that?" things.

At the time I was really impressed and thought developers were going to start doing hair and stuff in everything, but it seems like they're only just now getting into it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

At the time I was really impressed and thought developers were going to start doing hair and stuff in everything, but it seems like they're only just now getting into it.

Ten years later and some people still haven't learnt

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
A very rudimentary vulture puppet is featured prominently in one shot, awkwardly smacked against a bit of metal. This vulture puppet blatantly represents the scavengers of Jakku, who feed on metal.

Various people have pointed out that this puppet effect stands out as a practical effect. Since the fact that the scavenger puppet represents scavengers is so boneheadedly obvious, people focus on the sheer crappiness of the effect. It reads as a sort of deliberate statement about 'practical effects', although the overall point is unclear.

The poster Filthy Casual asserted, disingenuously, that that crappy bird effect is somehow satirical. No-one takes this assertion seriously.

That's where we are now.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

that's too bad i was picturing something more like

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

computer parts posted:

There's the fundamental disagreement, since Star Wars has always been about revolutionaries and how working within the system doesn't work. You see this in ANH when the Senate is dissolved and you see it in TPM when the Trade Federation is allowed to continue unabated.

I feel that the OT is about how working within a system that is utterly broken, because there is no form of democratic representation at all, requires revolutionary action. The dictator then y'know blows up a planet killing like 8 billion people which is a pretty big failing if I ever saw one.

I do not think the PT sufficiently justifies the same kind of action because a single planet making, unfortunately, a baseless claim gets ignored by the Senate. The entire TPM argument in the Senate is literally a "He said, she said" argument. No government in their right mind would act on that. Again, the failing of the PT is that actions that are meant to be "wrong" are completely logical absent further work to show why they are wrong. Also note again, literally no suffering is shown on Naboo beyond a simple statement that the people are starving against Alderaan literally being annihilated.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I feel that the OT is about how working within a system that is utterly broken, because there is no form of democratic representation at all, requires revolutionary action. The dictator then y'know blows up a planet killing like 8 billion people which is a pretty big failing if I ever saw one.

I do not think the PT sufficiently justifies the same kind of action because a single planet making, unfortunately, a baseless claim gets ignored by the Senate. The entire TPM argument in the Senate is literally a "He said, she said" argument. No government in their right mind would act on that. Again, the failing of the PT is that actions that are meant to be "wrong" are completely logical absent further work to show why they are wrong. Also note again, literally no suffering is shown on Naboo beyond a simple statement that the people are starving against Alderaan literally being annihilated.

I'd argue that's at least kind of the point? It's easy to ignore a tragedy when it's not as bad as it looks.

Think about how many people starve to death each year, or die from easily preventable diseases they can't afford to buy medicine for. Compare how people react to that as opposed to a singular tragic event like 9/11.

(For what it's worth, one of SMG's favourite Zizek quotes is basically the above paragraph but written in extremely dense academic text mostly for the sake of rhetoric.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's where we are now.

By the way who was the person who said something in the prequels was "critical of Hera-worship", I meant to ask last night because that sounds hilarious and I missed that part of the thread.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way who was the person who said something in the prequels was "critical of Hera-worship", I meant to ask last night because that sounds hilarious and I missed that part of the thread.

If you search your feelings, you'll already know the answer

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cargohills posted:

A practical effect looking like an obvious puppet does not make it look real.

if only they spent more time not making it look like a puppet, instead of making it look like a puppet

Beeez
May 28, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I think he's harking back to his point about the Jedi being portrayed as Greek Gods.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Beeez posted:

I think he's harking back to his point about the Jedi being portrayed as Greek Gods.

I thought it was an auto correct of 'hero'.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Slugworth posted:

I thought it was an auto correct of 'hero'.

That's also possible, but since he mentioned the Greek Gods a few posts before that it seemed like it might've been intentional.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If the OT is working within the system, what would working outside of the system look like?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Lord Krangdar posted:

The importance of compositing! :v: And they ran out of time to do her as a puppet.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I think you'll find that people don't hate CG,-they just hate bag CG- which was abundant in the PT.

It's fine guys. You don't have to defend every single aspect of these movies.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yaws posted:

I think you'll find that people don't hate CG,-they just hate bag CG- which was abundant in the PT.

It's fine guys. You don't have to defend every single aspect of these movies.

You also don't have to demonize every single aspect Yaws

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I've learned to appreciate the prequels a lot more through this thread and the RLM reviews, but I still think the shot where Anakin power-walks through Palpatine's foyer on his way to confront Windu is bad. It's something I kind of expect to be a grand entrance, but instead it feels kind of like he's late to work and rushing into a meeting in progress. But again, subverting my expectations doesn't mean it's bad, but what does it mean?

This is what I'm talking about btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLcxXR1PMw&t=126s

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 5, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Frackie Robinson posted:

I've learned to appreciate the prequels a lot more through this thread and the RLM reviews, but I still think the shot where Anakin power-walks through Palpatine's foyer on his way to confront Windu is bad. It's something I kind of expect to be a grand entrance, but instead it feels kind of like he's late to work and rushing into a meeting in progress. But again, subverting my expectations doesn't mean it's bad, but what does it mean?

This is what I'm talking about btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLcxXR1PMw&t=126s

He doesn't want to trip on his robes, man.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Motto posted:

Which one?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've seen quite a few people complain about the shot of the steering wheel flying towards the screen at the end.

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 5, 2016

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

I've seen quite a few people complain about the shot of the steering wheel flying towards the screen at the end.

Which just makes me go :what:

It was a cool stinger to the crash. Skull on steering wheel symbolizes control over life when you have control of where you're going. Like it's not like things are gonna be perfect with the new people in charge, just different (hopefully). You try and forget this when Nux heroically sacrifices himself, but then BOOM IN YOUR FACE. I also thought the guitar was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The guitar gag(it is absolutely supposed to be funny) at the end of Fury Road is an absolutely perfect fit for the film that its in. When I showed the movie to my roommate he of course thought it was fantastic, but his one criticism was that it should have ended with the guitar shot. I disagree but I can see where he's coming from.

• Locked thread