Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

is there a limit to how many rocket launchers you can buy? because I'd seriously consider that for any repeat playthroughs

depends how much money it would waste I guess

I've never fought the second gigante without a rocket launcher, just go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think that guy understands what a port is but he's not a programmer so w/e

yeah i guess if you're being pedantic

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Help Im Alive posted:

Could there really be a person out there that hasn't played RE4

I played it up to the point of being on some elevated wooden dock/platform surrounded by fire. That's all I remember. It couldn't have been very far in the game, but I lost interest, due to the whole "it's so easy to :filez: PS2 games" era. I didn't like the predicament of being stuck on a wooden bridge surrounded by fire. poo poo sucks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Looper posted:

yeah i guess if you're being pedantic

He said himself he's not a programmer. He doesn't know a programming language, just how to use Game Maker. Which doesn't compile into whatever the Wii U uses. He would basically have to take all of his assets and remake all the game logic from scratch in a Nintendo SDK.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

He said himself he's not a programmer. He doesn't know a programming language, just how to use Game Maker. Which doesn't compile into whatever the Wii U uses. He would basically have to take all of his assets and remake all the game logic from scratch in a Nintendo SDK.

when most people say port, they just mean "game on one system is now on another"

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

And to do that, he'd have to rebuild the entire game's logic from scratch in a format that compiles and runs on Wii U since his "engine" isn't Wii U compatible. Just as a general example, if I had a program in Python that just displayed the words "Hello World", the code would look like this.

code:
print "Hello World"
If I wanted that exact same function in, say, Java, I can't just take my Python code and dump it into a Java compiler; I'd have to rewrite it to use the equivalent Java functions so my program would look like this:

code:
System.out.println("Hello World");
That's not a hard porting job because most languages have a built in function to print text to the console, but that's the general gist of porting from one language to another. Other things you have to account for are things that are different between systems when porting, so oftentimes you can't just take the code from, say, Dark Souls for Xbox 360, and directly convert all of the code 1:1 for a PC or PS3 port. Sometimes the game logic is tied to the hardware it runs on so porting stuff over directly can cause major issues, such as with the driving in Saints Row 2. That's tied to system clock speed, I believe, so it works fine on 360 and PS3, but it's hosed up on PCs, which generally run faster.

Porting jobs are mostly easy these days since middleware engines are all the rage and it's easy to make a game in Unreal and compile Xbox, Playstation and PC versions, but Game Maker doesn't have that luxury and it'd probably be an arduous process for someone who's not a programmer to do a porting job of that to Wii U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does game maker support any console platforms?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

greatn posted:

Yes, after paying a bunch of extra money, it supports XBox One, PS3, PS4, and PS Vita, as well as iOS, Android and some other mobile stuff.

You'll notice nothing Nintendo was on that list. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No game maker game would ever receive the Nintendo Seal of Quality.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

greatn posted:

XBone, PS3, PS4, Vita.

edit: Beaten like your save file after completing a loop of UnderTale :v:

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Ahh, RE4, that takes me back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4OZcV-5fE

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

And to do that, he'd have to rebuild the entire game's logic from scratch in a format that compiles and runs on Wii U since his "engine" isn't Wii U compatible. Just as a general example, if I had a program in Python that just displayed the words "Hello World", the code would look like this.

code:
print "Hello World"
If I wanted that exact same function in, say, Java, I can't just take my Python code and dump it into a Java compiler; I'd have to rewrite it to use the equivalent Java functions so my program would look like this:

code:
System.out.println("Hello World");
That's not a hard porting job because most languages have a built in function to print text to the console, but that's the general gist of porting from one language to another. Other things you have to account for are things that are different between systems when porting, so oftentimes you can't just take the code from, say, Dark Souls for Xbox 360, and directly convert all of the code 1:1 for a PC or PS3 port. Sometimes the game logic is tied to the hardware it runs on so porting stuff over directly can cause major issues, such as with the driving in Saints Row 2. That's tied to system clock speed, I believe, so it works fine on 360 and PS3, but it's hosed up on PCs, which generally run faster.

Porting jobs are mostly easy these days since middleware engines are all the rage and it's easy to make a game in Unreal and compile Xbox, Playstation and PC versions, but Game Maker doesn't have that luxury and it'd probably be an arduous process for someone who's not a programmer to do a porting job of that to Wii U.

i uh, i know that :shobon: that's not why i was making fun of that guy

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

chaosargate don't ignore my post demanding you play resident evil 4 you gently caress

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

chaosargate don't ignore my post demanding you play resident evil 4 you gently caress

Maybe next time it goes on sale. :shobon:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Does RE4 require a motion control to play on Wii U?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Augus posted:

Does RE4 require a motion control to play on Wii U?

No, which means you could use it on the Gamepad. That said, it has one of the best uses of motion controls on the Wii.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm not sure but if you're not planning on using the Wii Remote/Nunchuk I dunno why you'd be considering the Wii version over the HD versions on PC/PS3 etc

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not sure but if you're not planning on using the Wii Remote/Nunchuk I dunno why you'd be considering the Wii version over the HD versions on PC/PS3 etc

I've heard it's one of the few Wii titles that used the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo to great effect.

Also the HD version was poo poo. At least on PC.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rexroom posted:

I've heard it's one of the few Wii titles that used the Wiimote/Nunchuk combo to great effect.

Also the HD version was poo poo. At least on PC.

A newer version came out on PC 2 years ago that isn't poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

A newer version came out on PC 2 years ago that isn't poo poo.

That's the HD version.

Which wasn't poo poo, so that dude's wrong. It's a great port, especially since they fixed mouse aiming a month or so after release so the mouse now acts like a mouse instead of emulating a Wiimote.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The only flaw I can think RE4 has is not all of the weapons are balanced. The Mine Thrower is fun to gently caress around with but kinda useless, and I've never been a fan of the TMP. Is it even worth buying the Riot Shotgun?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

voltcatfish posted:

The only flaw I can think RE4 has is not all of the weapons are balanced. The Mine Thrower is fun to gently caress around with but kinda useless, and I've never been a fan of the TMP. Is it even worth buying the Riot Shotgun?

It's good when its upgraded but I prefer the normal shotgun. I kinda like that some weapons not as good. It's fun to mess around crappy stuff like the TMP after you're playing the game for the 3rd or 4th time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

voltcatfish posted:

I think it handles faster, or at least it aims faster, but the wider spread of the Striker makes the faster aiming less useful. Besides, shotguns are more important for their knockback than their damage, at least among mook-level enemies.

Even so,

In Training posted:

it really, truly is one of the best games ever.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

the tmp's niche is better filled by the shotgun and grenades in story mode but it's also part of what makes HUNK so great

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Rirse posted:

That said, it has one of the best uses of motion controls on the Wii.
lol.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

are you being for real right now

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Looper posted:

are you being for real right now

Heh, if you don't think that "wiggle back and forth to [anything]" isn't absurd, then nevermind. We're probably on totally different planes.

To be fair, I've always felt like the Wii remote's motion control was weak at best and nonsensical at worst. MotionPlus made it a bit better, but then I had to deal with the frustrating controls in Skyward Sword... No, I'm not swinging upward; I'm bringing the sword up so I can slice diagonally downward... stupid.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MisterAlex posted:

Heh, if you don't think that "wiggle back and forth to [anything]" isn't absurd, then nevermind. We're probably on totally different planes.

To be fair, I've always felt like the Wii remote's motion control was weak at best and nonsensical at worst. MotionPlus made it a bit better, but then I had to deal with the frustrating controls in Skyward Sword... No, I'm not swinging upward; I'm bringing the sword up so I can slice diagonally downward... stupid.

would you rather be wiggling the control stick

would you rather use a control stick to aim in a shooting game

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

Looper posted:

would you rather be wiggling the control stick

would you rather use a control stick to aim in a shooting game

I wouldn't rather be wiggling anything, but if I'm having to rapidly do anything that isn't a button press, moving a stick a quarter of an inch with my thumb is preferable to shaking a remote control wildly in my hand.

And yes, I would definitely prefer a stick to the Wii remote's aiming (though a mouse is always nice). The Wii remote's tracking is terribly laggy and unreliable.

Edit: The PS Move's tracking is pretty good. I'd probably be fine with using that to aim. I'm not against motion controls entirely; I'm just unimpressed with the Wii's.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

It's "waggle" guys, waggle

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I prefer woggle

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Sometimes wyggle.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

big ups to the underdog wuggle

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Resident Evil 4 owns, hth.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

MisterAlex posted:

Edit: The PS Move's tracking is pretty good. I'd probably be fine with using that to aim. I'm not against motion controls entirely; I'm just unimpressed with the Wii's.

Hahaha, what? The Move required a camera tracking a glowing ball. It was laggier than Wiimotes because of that.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MisterAlex posted:

You're using the motion controls in SS wrong by the way. That's not how it tracks movements.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MisterAlex posted:

I wouldn't rather be wiggling anything, but if I'm having to rapidly do anything that isn't a button press, moving a stick a quarter of an inch with my thumb is preferable to shaking a remote control wildly in my hand.

And yes, I would definitely prefer a stick to the Wii remote's aiming (though a mouse is always nice). The Wii remote's tracking is terribly laggy and unreliable.

a wiimote would have to be pretty crazy laggy to be as slow as aiming with a stick

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MisterAlex posted:

The Wii remote's tracking is terribly laggy and unreliable.

There are pills for that, you know. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEzy1IE2x0c

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Is it even worth buying the Riot Shotgun?

Its final upgrade is a 100 shell magazine, which will carry you through some of the harder difficulties because upgrading ammo capacity fills your magazine to the max.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

MisterAlex posted:

If you were moving the Wiimote up so that you could slide downwards then you're playing Skyward Sword wrong, hth