Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The only thing that worries me about the Kodiak is that you just know they'll ruin brawling again by the time it's released.

Still can't wait to play it though. Especially the variant that gets both a C-Bill bonus and a slot layout reminiscent of the Atlas-S. I hope they actually make the Jump Jets have their special roar sound, even if I'll probably strip the jets in most cases anyway. Or maybe I'll keep them for high flying drop bear action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nuebot posted:

So if I was considering spending real money on this game for something what would be the best? Probably not more than fifty bucks, if I do at all, though.

The Steam light pack is decent, though I'd wait for a sale.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sebmojo posted:

The Steam light pack is decent, though I'd wait for a sale.

I mastered the cheetah already, is there anything else that's really good in it?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zaodai posted:

The only thing that worries me about the Kodiak is that you just know they'll ruin brawling again by the time it's released.

Still can't wait to play it though. Especially the variant that gets both a C-Bill bonus and a slot layout reminiscent of the Atlas-S. I hope they actually make the Jump Jets have their special roar sound, even if I'll probably strip the jets in most cases anyway. Or maybe I'll keep them for high flying drop bear action.
Just buy the Snow Bear war horn ( if it doesn't come with one ).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Endbuster posted:

Bro its more exp so you can convert it to GXP for MC. Duuuuuuuuh.

I know you're being facetious but I've got like 200k extra exp on my stalker alone

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ZombyDog posted:

Just buy the Snow Bear war horn ( if it doesn't come with one ).

It says the kit comes with 1 (standard) or 3 (collectors) "Kodiak War Horn(s)", which suggests they'd be different than the current Ghost Bear ones, so who knows? I do still have a Ghost Bear horn kicking around that I tend to swap from mech to mech if I'm not running the air raid siren.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
To hero bear or not to hero bear, thats the question...

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I don't understand why more people don't play mediums. You've got speed, some semblance of armor, and in some cases a somewhat devastating arsenal. Some of the best brawling I've been in was in a medium. And I can do long range sniping with my HBK-IIC-A. They can do everything, ugh.

That being said, besides more Atlas which other Assaults are worth getting?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
well, i am of the opinion the bear dad wont knock the Atlas-S off as brawlin champ. on the hero one you may be good foregoing the mediocre clan Autocamnon 20 and filling it full of Small pulses. Think it may suffer from Orion-itis too many varied hardpoints.

Wish we could see the quirks, if it gets structure bonuses I'd be sorely tempted to bust open my wallet

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

FACTION PLAY

MEMBER MANAGEMENT (LOL)

INVITE NEW MEMBER OR SOMETHING

Rank Management shows J4G Scum and Newbirds don't have Invite Member privileges.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Washout posted:

How do I avoid the sliding scale for getting the next match when I end up on polar highlands or alpine? I just can't stand playing either of those maps anymore and quitting does not seem to work, will alt-f4 get around it?

Play the vote game well. Save your high multipliers for when it matters most.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zaodai posted:

I'm sure you guys already saw it, but I'm so pumped to get the Kodiak. :dance:

100 tons of ANGRY BEAR coming at you, pubbies!

Just remember the Dad Bear is probably going to be half as survivable as the Atlas. The lack of strong structure quirks and the presence of an XL engine will ensure that it dies a lot faster.

On the plus side, you'll most likely be much quicker than an Atlas.

Nuebot posted:

I mastered the cheetah already, is there anything else that's really good in it?

A +% cbill chassis, if you don't already have one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A.o.D. posted:

Just remember the Dad Bear is probably going to be half as survivable as the Atlas. The lack of strong structure quirks and the presence of an XL engine will ensure that it dies a lot faster.

On the plus side, you'll most likely be much quicker than an Atlas.

A +% cbill chassis, if you don't already have one.

A +30% cbill cheetah and premium time will reliably get you 350k matches.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A.o.D. posted:

It's a Clan BattleMech so it'll take two side torso destructions to kill it even with an XL, and you can downgrade the engine to a standard while still using ferro/endo for the same slot investment that the Atlas has to pay for just endo.

If it winds up with some decent side torso structure quirks it could still be a very solid angry bear.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 5, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I crammed a 180XL into my UrbanMech. Holy gently caress :pcgaming: 100kph! And it's so cute!

がんばれ, アーバンメックちゃん!!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Nuebot posted:

So if I was considering spending real money on this game for something what would be the best? Probably not more than fifty bucks, if I do at all, though.

The stormcrow, timberwolf, or hellbringer ala carte. Those are the top 3 mechs in the game and having one as a +30% cbill earner would be fantastic, those are $55 though so for $35 the marauder or warhammer with hero add on might be a better purchase.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Stringbean posted:

I don't understand why more people don't play mediums. You've got speed, some semblance of armor, and in some cases a somewhat devastating arsenal. Some of the best brawling I've been in was in a medium. And I can do long range sniping with my HBK-IIC-A. They can do everything, ugh.

Banshee-3E, Stalker, Dire Wolf, Battlemaster that's pretty much it, assaults have been in a bad place for a long time now. Lot of goons like the king crab but it's not a good robot.

Washout fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 5, 2016

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
but you can give'em the clamps...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Washout posted:

The stormcrow, timberwolf, or hellbringer ala carte. Those are the top 3 mechs in the game and having one as a +30% cbill earner would be fantastic, those are $55 though so for $35 the marauder or warhammer with hero add on might be a better purchase.

This is good advice. Alternatively wait for hero mechs to go on sale and just buy a couple of fun ones. The Boar's Head with godfists is ridiculously fun, if you like lights then the Ember does the things that awesome firestarters do. Things in-between are things inbetween.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Go vote on my champion builds.

http://mwomercs.com/news/2016/02/1474-community-created-clan-champion-mech-builds

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

From the OP or close enough, is this a fun gimmick? I want to be a plucky little gunboat. Also these links don't seem to work anymore.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll fix it in just a moment and post the results.

Disclaimer: I don't fully remember how these were built and I've never run them, so Patton may yell at me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Anita Dickinme posted:

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll fix it in just a moment and post the results.

Disclaimer: I don't fully remember how these were built and I've never run them, so Patton may yell at me.

it's all good bruh

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=21&l=f89d895d059739e0c7d9e61c8ccda9ab1c430cdd

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=21&l=08c7a07f21433f1124609e34d175438cfbb990bf

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Wafflecopper posted:

I know you're being facetious but I've got like 200k extra exp on my stalker alone

And they are banking you caving and spending it. I've got 150k GXP. I can't buy modules as fast as I buy skills.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nuebot posted:

I think people said that the Mastery packs give you the most value for your money. Personally I bought the Thunderbolt and Cataphract packs, the Thunderbolt being my favourite.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

I think people said that the Mastery packs give you the most value for your money. Personally I bought the Thunderbolt and Cataphract packs, the Thunderbolt being my favourite.

The only two that are worth it are the Thunderbolt and Stalker really. The Huginn or Jenner might be worth it if you love the close range missile boat since they are practically the only thing other than the Jenner-2c that can even do it. But the worse your latency is the worse you are going to do with SRM's.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you're looking to spend money the Marauder is a good mech. Splurge for the hero mech addition and you'll have 4 very versatile heavies, one of which earns a c-bill bonus.

Also I think heavies are a touch more forgiving for a new player than a light, but that's just my opinion.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

So my 2 uac10 , 3 uac 5 dakka wolf is officially min maxed. I got both cool down modules and mastered it so I can run a seismic sensor and radar deprivation. It is literally the 100 million dollar mech.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're looking to spend money the Marauder is a good mech. Splurge for the hero mech addition and you'll have 4 very versatile heavies, one of which earns a c-bill bonus.

Also I think heavies are a touch more forgiving for a new player than a light, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I would say heavies are the easiest class to pilot. Best mix of weapons, survivability, and maneuverability. Mediums are fine too but with rather less room for error when the poo poo hits the fan.

Lights and assaults demand more piloting skill, tactical awareness, and game knowledge (especially map knowledge) to do well with.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Endbuster posted:

So my 2 uac10 , 3 uac 5 dakka wolf is officially min maxed. I got both cool down modules and mastered it so I can run a seismic sensor and radar deprivation. It is literally the 100 million dollar mech.

I got so tired of Canyon Valley and poo poo in mine, I put a hill climb on my second module.

I don't think it does anything

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

The JJs are enough for me. But yeah Valley and Bog are lovely maps for the dakka wolf.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Stringbean posted:

The Mauler is great, at least with 4xUAC-5

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Don't forget you can put the S left torso on the Dakkawolf and get a jump jet. Even 1 helps immensely on maps with tiny loving rocks a 100 ton mech can't step over.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Supraluminal posted:

Yeah, I would say heavies are the easiest class to pilot. Best mix of weapons, survivability, and maneuverability. Mediums are fine too but with rather less room for error when the poo poo hits the fan.

Lights and assaults demand more piloting skill, tactical awareness, and game knowledge (especially map knowledge) to do well with.

I have yet to find a heavy that I find incredibly fun to play. They certainly fit the jack-of-all trades roll, but mechs in the other weight classes always seem to have some fun niche. Then again, I have fun in the worst mechs ever, so what do I know.

On that same note, put 2 UAC2s on a your shadowcats and get on the tallest point around for maximum fun times and pubby rage. If you thought your team gets mad when you hide and shut down at the end of a match, wait until they must watch you plinking the remaining enemy mechs from the top of a plateau/hill/building the last 8 enemy mechs can't reach. The ridge directly on the edge of the butthole around terra therma is perfect for this.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The Mauler looks fun, but I'm just not a good ballistics guy. Leading my shots isn't the problem, I just never get good damage out. Guess I'm more of a laser/SRM kind of guy...

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

I have yet to find a heavy that I find incredibly fun to play. They certainly fit the jack-of-all trades roll, but mechs in the other weight classes always seem to have some fun niche. Then again, I have fun in the worst mechs ever, so what do I know.

The cataphract oxp is a current favorite. Medium pulses, standard engine, ac20, ecm and atlas tier durability quirks. It takes so much punishment for only 70 tons of weight.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I've been having a lot of fun with all the Thunderbolts from the Mastery Pack. They're not exactly goon-meta compliant, but the two long range ones both have a dead side so they can tank decently. And the other is a MPL boat, so that fits.

The Blackjacks have also been a blast, but it sounds like they've got a nerf coming so it's probably not a good time to buy them.

Other than that I've been spending a lot of time lately as a Dad. I'm honestly not that enamoured with the Boar's Head. The pinpoint damage is okay, but I always feel like if I'm going to ditch the ECM I'd rather have the S's 4xASRM6.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TheParadigm posted:

The cataphract oxp is a current favorite. Medium pulses, standard engine, ac20, ecm and atlas tier durability quirks. It takes so much punishment for only 70 tons of weight.

If you treat it like a Hunchback, it sees you through some nasty brawls. I actually recommend normal medium lasers though, to keep your heat managable. I'm maintaining a 3 to 1 KDR with that build, far higher than my usual poo poo average of .90

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

ImpactVector posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with all the Thunderbolts from the Mastery Pack. They're not exactly goon-meta compliant, but the two long range ones both have a dead side so they can tank decently. And the other is a MPL boat, so that fits.

The Blackjacks have also been a blast, but it sounds like they've got a nerf coming so it's probably not a good time to buy them.

Other than that I've been spending a lot of time lately as a Dad. I'm honestly not that enamoured with the Boar's Head. The pinpoint damage is okay, but I always feel like if I'm going to ditch the ECM I'd rather have the S's 4xASRM6.

Tbolts are pretty much a must have in any goon drop deck, and awesome all around.

Goon meta is not using LRMs, unless you're doing so ironically in which case you're still poo poo.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I know LRM have a minimum arming distance but what about short range missiles? Some guy charged my catapault and touched noses and there wasn't a lot I could do but hope my short range missiles did anything (inconclusive).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Krinkle posted:

I know LRM have a minimum arming distance but what about short range missiles? Some guy charged my catapault and touched noses and there wasn't a lot I could do but hope my short range missiles did anything (inconclusive).

SRMs do not have a minimum range and are best when you're as close as possible. Every once in a while the hit will fail to register, which may be what you were seeing

• Locked thread