Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Well as long as she doesn't point them at Batman, I don't see a problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like Harper's schtick of making/shooting taser guns because electricity guns appeal to my inner child in a big way. On the other hand I really hate undercuts...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's probably due to being raised on X-Men cartoons but laser guns that don't actually hurt people are the way to go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Undercuts seem to be the new saggy pants where it makes a lot of people angry for reasons I can't understand.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My affection for electricity guns grew at least 500% after Greg Pak's first Action Comics arc.

People like to say DC does dumb things. Actually they've only done one dumb thing in the last two-ish years. That is not publishing a Lana Lang shooting electricity guns series.

e: \/ Pakistanian? Anyone could make that mistake.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 5, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

My affection for electricity guns grew at least 500% after Greg Pak's first Action Comics arc.

People like to say DC does dumb things. Actually they've only done one dumb thing in the last two-ish years. That is not publishing a Lana Lang shooting electricity guns series.

I dunno, this seems pretty stupid.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

But how will those poor birds defend themselves now? :(

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Is it Outhousers still doing that "Did DC do something stupid" counter again? Honestly that site just hates DC in general, I rarely ever see anything positive come out of it.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I know the gun that shoots tiny batarangs isn't anything new, but when I see it from this angle, it's like...How is this not the most toyetic gadget yet? You can get this at Toys R Us as we speak, right?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FAT BATMAN posted:

I know the gun that shoots tiny batarangs isn't anything new, but when I see it from this angle, it's like...How is this not the most toyetic gadget yet? You can get this at Toys R Us as we speak, right?

What Batman is this? Not familiar with that suit or what looks to be red hair.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

What Batman is this? Not familiar with that suit or what looks to be red hair.
It's Jim Gordon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's Gordon but he's really drawn like Bruce there, in terms of body type

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TwoPair posted:

It's Gordon but he's really drawn like Bruce there, in terms of body type

it's weird when you're used to Old Man Gordon from the animated series.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

it's weird when you're used to Old Man Gordon from the animated series.
Well, that, but Capullo has been drawing him pretty thin and limber in-comic, and not super muscle-man as seen there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman #49 preview. http://www.newsarama.com/27869-preview-batman-49.html Remember that weird clone machine?

I like alternative/Elseworldy Batman stories. Looks fun. The manor being on top of the tower should be a real thing.

I don't know why I didn't guess Bruce's amnesia fix till now. Looking back at #43, it's beyond blatant.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 9, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That's.....the dumbest thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope he just uses it on himself then destroys it because, yeah, it's really, really stupid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd like Snyder to use it as the basis of his Detective run and essentially tell a new Elseworld story every issue.

Dunbar posted:

I'm starting to think DC has a line wide strategy to torpedo the quality of their current output so thoroughly that Rebirth can't be anything but a major success in comparison.

I'm confused. Yanick Paquette drawing a Mayor Bruce Wayne issue is a bad thing?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 9, 2016

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm starting to think DC has a line wide strategy to torpedo the quality of their current output so thoroughly that Rebirth can't be anything but a major success in comparison.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't know why I didn't guess Bruce's amnesia fix till now. Looking back at #43, it's beyond blatant.

Once again Snyder's run echoes Morrison's but in a weirdly literal way:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The cloning machine remains as dumb now as it was then but everything else about that looks fresh as hell.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'd believe you if you said Morrison wrote that preview. Looks great. Guess I need to get back into Batman.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Die Laughing posted:

I'd believe you if you said Morrison wrote that preview. Looks great. Guess I need to get back into Batman.

Yep I'm catching up now. Pretty excited to see where this leads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because that is what Batman needs more Morrison.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We finally agree on something!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The DC comics iPad App store thing has just put up a new collection: "Batman by Ed Brubaker". It collects Batman 582 - 586, 591 - 597 and Batman: Our Worlds At War 1.

Was Brubaker's Batman run good? Is this worth checking out?

For reference I've read all of Morrison's Batman run and all of Snyder's current run and enjoyed them both. I've also read most of the classic graphic novels and storylines, like Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, Year One, No Man's Land, Knightfall, Hush etc. I'm currently finishing up reading Gotham Central (which was also written by Brubaker) so need something else to move on to. Thoughts?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

monkeu posted:

The DC comics iPad App store thing has just put up a new collection: "Batman by Ed Brubaker". It collects Batman 582 - 586, 591 - 597 and Batman: Our Worlds At War 1.

For reference I've read all of Morrison's Batman run and all of Snyder's current run and enjoyed them both. I've also read most of the classic graphic novels and storylines, like Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, Year One, No Man's Land, Knightfall, Hush etc. I'm currently finishing up reading Gotham Central (which was also written by Brubaker) so need something else to move on to. Thoughts?

Brubaker's run ran from pretty good to really really good. The story telling is fairly tight though can come across as somewhat generic in some cases. It is more episodic than his later work at Marvel. I do recommend checking it out though for some fun Batman stories.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

monkeu posted:

Go for it. Rucka had a concurrent run on Detective that tied in somewhat kind-of closely if you're interested.

FYI, B:OWAW goes between 592 & 593.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
However, his run is full of crossovers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LISTEN TO ME, DAMMIT! YOU SAID IT YOURSELF. HE NEVER RAN THE SIMULATION PAST BRAIN DEATH, BECAUSE BATMAN DOESN'T KILL. BUT THE MOST RECEPTIVE BRAIN WOULD BE FULLY BLANK, NO SELF INSIDE. HE DOESN'T KILL, BUT HE DOES! HE HAS TO. FOR BATMAN TO LIVE, BRUCE WAYNE ALWAYS HAS TO DIE!

Snyder's attempt to go full Morrison in this issue was fun, if pretty clunky in explaining it's self.

The art, though :swoon:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I don't think I've ever felt so bad for poor alfred.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The art didn't do the comic issue justice which is a drat shame because that was a really good one.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So Batman's new origin is that Bruce set up a cloning factory to pump out Bio-Bats in case he dies? :lol:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

On a personal level, I dislike this recurrent idea that There Must Be A Batman. In my mind, most of Batman's goal is to prevent future Batmans. He fights all the bad actors from his own origin as his modus operandi.

But if we get good comics out of it, w/e. It's better than getting :mediocre: comics that conform to my biases.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As insane as the Bat-Brain Cloning Machine is god drat issue 49 was incredible. If this is Snyder's last run on the title he's sure cementing his legacy with these last few issues.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gorgeous art but I'm simply sick of Snyder's work. And the whole cloning machine idea is beyond stupid.

Can't wait for Snyder to be replaced.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Snyder Batman #49 interview
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/scott-sndyer-talks-batman-49-spoilers-and-the-end-/1100-154879/

quote:

COMIC VINE: The issue opens with a look at a different Bruce Wayne and Council of Owls. How much of that backstory did you come up with?

SCOTT SNYDER: We actually came out with a lot of backstory and scenarios—me and James [Tynion IV]. He’s a real world builder like in Batman and Robin Eternal. He loves that stuff. The idea was to try to create scenarios that weren’t just fun things, but something that would really show us a sense of another opportunity for who he was. Here the idea was with the Council of Owls, Joe Chill being in the cave, the possibility of his villains being his helpers…all of it. We really wanted it to be something where it felt almost like a possibility he would want somehow. The Manor moves to the top of Wayne Tower and so on. This is Bruce as a well adjusted Batman—if he was over the trauma. If he was able to get over the scar, he’d still have all these abilities to be Batman. Here, what we wanted to do was say, is that possible? Would that make for a better Batman? Batman would still be the same pathologically driven detective character we know. Instead he’s able to overcome some of the scars of his life.

CV: Do you think you’d ever want to fully explore this version, or the others seen here, at some point?

SCOTT: I’d love to! I have so many stories in my head for all these different things. The ones we did here are sort of glimpses. You’ll notice, one of the themes I love to do, I’ve done throughout this run, is to try and see how far I can extend the mythology in my mind in different variants. Like in the DETECTIVE COMICS #27 short with Sean [Murphy], that reality where he clones himself and became Batman for hundreds and hundreds of years, we’ve sort of introduced that into continuity.

Also in Endgame, there was all the different ways he could die when he was exposed to the fear gas. I love doing moments where we get to see insane conventions of the mythology and push the characters to their limits. The thing that’s amazing about it is when you do—any of these things I’d be happy to write. I’d love to write Batman, Bluebird, and Lark like we saw for a moment at the beginning of Endgame—fighting aliens or whatever. I know we could make it work. Not because Batman is flexible or rubbery, but because at his core, there’s that one thing he has to overcome to bring meaning to it all. That could be touched on in so many different ways. There could be Bruce Wayne adopted by the Kents, Bruce Wayne if his parents had lived, there’s just so many. There’s so many different story possibilities I’d love to write.

CV: Who came up with the white suit design of this Batman?

SCOTT: I suggested it. I asked for something that’s bright and kind of regal and a little more like the sun. The bat symbol here is the sun that lights the city. I suggested it to Yanick [Paquette] and he really came up with a killer design. I’m so thrilled with what he’s been able to do.

CV: Julie Madison drops a pretty big bombshell about what she knew. Will you explore that later?

SCOTT: Yup. For me, one of the things about this arc is defining a lot of the conventional troupes and try to avoid things that look familiar. We wanted every turn to be something unexpected, even if we’re taking characters that would make a really good plot reveal and play them differently in ways that might be more subtle. For example, in the beginning, I think everyone expected Geri Powers to be a big villain and Julie Madison to secretly be Bloom and stuff like that. There’s twists like that, and you’ll see in 50 there’s some fun things coming up that’ll surprise you.

Ultimately I think this arc has been not just about defining plot conventions but taking these characters to places you haven’t seen emotionally and psychologically. With Julie, it was about making her a real and viable partner—making her someone Bruce admires and looks up to and inspires him. She also understands him better than he understands himself. In that way, I wanted it to be something where she’s the hero. She also makes a big sacrifice. She also plays the part of her father by pulling the trigger or providing the trigger. She provides the ‘gun’ that will kill this Bruce to bring back Batman.

CV: Alfred doesn’t want Bruce to go back to being Batman. Will he still be willing to perform his role in assisting Batman?

SCOTT: You’ll have to wait and see! I think it’ll change their relationship in some ways. You’ll hear a little about it in 50 and I think 51 and so on. We’ll definitely address it. For me, Alfred is the father figure for the son that doesn’t understand. It’s a really rough road. I think about it a lot. What if my son wanted to be something that puts him in the line of danger that I hate seeing him do, but I knew deep down it was the only thing that would make him happy. That’s what Alfred is going through.

CV: Will you touch on Alfred’s role in We Are Robin at all?

SCOTT: No, I’m not going to really touch on that in Batman itself. I’m trying to give everyone enough room to wrap up their stories and do what they do best, you know? Like stuff in Justice League, We Are Robin, or Batman and Robin Eternal, I’m trying to steer clear of and let everyone have the space to finish their stories. I want them to have the pieces they need and make Batman pretty singular.

CV: If Bruce can get his Batman memories back, will he have to train his body again to perform the moves he might remember being capable of?

SCOTT: Spoiler! I don’t mean to spoil 50, but we end Bruce’s emotional arc here with a big revelation that he found a way back and has a bunch of tough decisions and Jim’s story is still going. Jim’s really the protagonist of the arc. His biggest challenge is coming. What that means for Bruce is that now it’s time to have fun with it. Bruce is now going to be the most awesome Batman you’ve ever seen. For me, the idea is if he becomes Batman again, we’ll bring him back healed. He’ll be faster and stronger than he’s ever been. No more scar tissue. No more wear and tear. He’s like Bruce physically 25 almost. Not the age but his body is healed. His body is perfect. At the same time, he’s got all the skills. You should prepare to see him kick some serious rear end.

CV: What can you tease about issue 50?

SCOTT: Just that Greg [Capullo] and I have had a blast together on this run. It’s our second to last issue together. 51 is my last issue as well on Batman. For me, 50 is the quiet issue and 51 is really just a letter to the fans from us and a letter to Batman. It’s the lightest I’ve ever written. Not lightest as in happy but light as in not as many panels per page. It’s really really open. It’s a chance for Greg to draw the close before we take our break. 50 we wanted to be the opposite. We wanted it to be the most explosive, jam-packed sort of blockbuster crazed issue we’ve ever done. I hope it delivers in that regard.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Caught up and read issue 49. Loved it, stupid clone machine and all. Really excited to see where the next 2 issues go before the new creative team hops on.

Also gently caress yes, Tom King Batman still seems really likely.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That's slightly odd that he isn't writing #52. I figured all the #52s would wrap the current arcs up and the Rebirth #1s would be the full-on reboot issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dunbar posted:

That's slightly odd that he isn't writing #52. I figured all the #52s would wrap the current arcs up and the Rebirth #1s would be the full-on reboot issues.
I too thought 52 was his last issue.

• Locked thread