Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It might surprise you to know that people appealing large judgments against them routinely claim that they have no extra funds and depend upon the income that the other party is trying to garnish

It might surprise you to know that the Baddest With Money part of this whole ordeal is the fact that the well-paid guy is burdening himself with even greater legal fees by going through the extremely transparent and farcical gambit you've identified because he got in a decade+ fight with his neighbors over where a car should be parked, and that's why I posted it :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Oh also here's a fun local news story:

Even better than the credit union somehow landing itself in a $30,000 adverse judgment is the $150K earner in this extremely affordable community claiming that "he has no extra funds" and is essentially living paycheck to paycheck.

:cripes:

This is so incredibly weird and petty that it wraps back around to awesome. Would love to hear a TAL or something about it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Switchback posted:

Divorcing couple divides beanie baby collection under judge supervision, 1999

I'm struggling to believe they both genuinely wanted them.

A student documentary on Beanie Baby Bankruptcy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDsyj5eLmo

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

pig slut lisa posted:

It might surprise you to know that the Baddest With Money part of this whole ordeal is the fact that the well-paid guy is burdening himself with even greater legal fees by going through the extremely transparent and farcical gambit you've identified because he got in a decade+ fight with his neighbors over where a car should be parked, and that's why I posted it :ssh:

The article explains that there's more to it than that.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Why didn't they just have that rear end in a top hat's car towed?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

Why didn't they just have that rear end in a top hat's car towed?

Article explains that the driveway was mistakenly not listed as part of the plaintiffs' property and was "unowned" which is what allowed things to get so muddy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Devian666 posted:

There were a LOT of stupid people back then who thought that they would end up being worth a ton of money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

There were a LOT of stupid people back then who thought that they would end up being worth a ton of money.

Its not that people are stupid, they just gambled and lost. Some things do end up going up in value during a price bubble, and it's a matter of luck to cash out while the price is high. See muscle car pricing leading up to 2008.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Nitrox posted:

Its not that people are stupid, they just gambled and lost. Some things do end up going up in value during a price bubble, and it's a matter of luck to cash out while the price is high. See muscle car pricing leading up to 2008.

Yup.. If those were instead Magic The Gathering beta cards, they would have been basically splitting a house in that picture. Collectibles are weird.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Devian666 posted:

A student documentary on Beanie Baby Bankruptcy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDsyj5eLmo

Love the chick in the nice kitchen with granite countertops who can't be arsed to change the batteries in her goddamn smoke alarms

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Uncle Enzo posted:

Love the chick in the nice kitchen with granite countertops who can't be arsed to change the batteries in her goddamn smoke alarms

There's probably no way to access the alarm with boxes of beanie babies blocking any place to set a ladder.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Blinkman987 posted:

Yup.. If those were instead Magic The Gathering beta cards, they would have been basically splitting a house in that picture. Collectibles are weird.

Because of this and the Beanie Baby bubble, the creators of Magic worked as hard as they could to prevent speculation on future sets.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/03/11/392381112/episode-609-the-curse-of-the-black-lotus

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The default 401k contribution percentage for new employees here is lower than the maximum the company will match.

Wonder if whoever came up with that got a raise?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

It might surprise you to know that people appealing large judgments against them routinely claim that they have no extra funds and depend upon the income that the other party is trying to garnish

And let's not forget that quite a few people actually do manage to live paycheck to paycheck on a 6 figure salary. Anyone who would try to exploit a public records screwup to steal their neighbor's driveway is likely to be greedy enough for that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Oil! posted:

Because of this and the Beanie Baby bubble, the creators of Magic worked as hard as they could to prevent speculation on future sets.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/03/11/392381112/episode-609-the-curse-of-the-black-lotus

Well they are doing a real lovely job of that.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Yeah, that's really common among child support payers here.

:cheers:: "I can't pay child support because I spent all my money on vodka again.
:cop:: "Oh, ok then. Don't worry about it."

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

John Smith posted:

Whaaaa for like a whole year

Can anyone explain this dude's hatred of Artists and The Poor while talking about how he deserves the good life over others itt.

E: I am legitly wondering if he is a relative.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I always just assumed that he was a troll or a libertarian shithead

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Not a Children posted:

I always just assumed that he was a troll or a libertarian shithead

Say it with me: "The world is a better place when you Ignore John Smith"

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

BraveUlysses posted:

from a VW TDI forum, same idiot posted this in a couple of threads:

Yup, the only solution was to buy a new car, and tap your 401k to do it :eyepop:

"Hopefully I can recoup $10k from the class action law suit."

lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That was my favorite part. As if you can participate in a class action lawsuit now that you chose to lose your rear end on trading the car in.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Unless the case is settled in the year 2147, I've never heard of a class action paying that much to an individual.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Plaintiffs in the VW class action lawsuit will be given a discount on a new VW car as compensation, you know it'll happen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

That was my favorite part. As if you can participate in a class action lawsuit now that you chose to lose your rear end on trading the car in.

He'll get something. I get class action lawsuit notices for products every year that I don't own anymore. None of them require I still own/use the product.

Insurance companies have plenty of algorithms for determining reduced value. They could also refund the couple of thousand dollar premium people paid for TDI engines. KIA had to do something similar when they fudged their MPG figures - affected owners get a check every year for the averaged difference in mileage.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Armani posted:

Can anyone explain this dude's hatred of Artists and The Poor while talking about how he deserves the good life over others itt.

E: I am legitly wondering if he is a relative.

Because they are undeserving while I am deserving through my hard work and merit.

[having achieved what I did despite being of humble birth]

John Smith fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 7, 2016

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Actually free will is an illusion and all our choices are determined by our genetics and environment, so attempting to distinguish between "hard work" and "birth" is a fool's errand. Hope this helps

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Don't start this loving D&D poo poo in here again, ignore John Smith and make him go somewhere else for attention.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Series DD Funding posted:

Actually free will is an illusion and all our choices are determined by our genetics and environment, so attempting to distinguish between "hard work" and "birth" is a fool's errand. Hope this helps

Such fatalism is a defensible position, but then in that case, nothing matters so no point discussing anything to begin with, yah?

NancyPants posted:

Don't start this loving D&D poo poo in here again, ignore John Smith and make him go somewhere else for attention.

I didn't start anything here. And yes, you should ignore me then since that is your position. Starting with you yourself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Wanting to buy a house with four friends, all of whom are making minimum wage and barely have savings, while you have no savings outside of your figurine inventory: Bad with decision-making, even if it's not actively BWM yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/43uhsu/need_to_know_if_i_can_afford_home_with_4_friends/ posted:

Need to know if I can afford home with 4 friends, advice and general help would be great (self.personalfinance)

So after talking about it for months I have decided that myself and 4 of my HighSchool friends want to buy a home. Before you mock anything or say how dumb the idea is let me finish. So I myself am self employed and buy and sell figures, currently working on building up inventory so I can lower prices and sell it all to build up some savings, currently have $23,000 of stock and $35,000 in my collection that I am willing to sell if need be. My friends all have $5,000 currently saved up and are working minimum wage jobs at roughly 20 hours a week to also save up. I have budgeted everything I have thought of here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qwr2SiCUfk6rLS01RHDYOG2fQTEdPkPgXhQ9AAu2mCM/edit?usp=sharing The house is a $90,000 house with a $18,000 down payment, any additional help would be great and I will add anything you guys can think of, thanks

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hell 20 hours a week at minimum wage, I see zero problems with this, tell him to go right ahead.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I originally read that as 'buy a horse with four friends' and got really excited. Buying a house is also pretty bad but doesn't compare to the picture I had in my head.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 7, 2016

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

That figurine collection sounds like an amazing BWM story that deserves better than to be buried in a plan to buy a house.

quote:

So I myself am self employed and buy and sell figures, currently working on building up inventory so I can lower prices and sell it all to build up some savings, currently have $23,000 of stock and $35,000 in my collection that I am willing to sell if need be

"I spent $23k on figures which I haven't been able to sell, maybe I need to lower the price (and probably sell at a loss). And that's not counting the $35k on my own waifu collection"

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

That figurine collection sounds like an amazing BWM story that deserves better than to be buried in a plan to buy a house.

"I spent $23k on figures which I haven't been able to sell, maybe I need to lower the price (and probably sell at a loss). And that's not counting the $35k on my own waifu collection"

I dug into his post history.

It's worse than we thought: the figurines appear to be Star Wars...

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Fitting that someone just posted that beanie babies video. That's what this guy probably looks like in 20 years, except he has no kids. Instead, there's 3 guys living with him, still paying off their 90k house.

Sounds like a great setup for a sitcom, if you ask me!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Did he have a kid recently?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

For those of you who don't watch the Super Bowl, Quicken just put out consumerism: the commercial

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMdA7-E7VVM

"You meant twenty one thousand, I thought you meant twenty one hundred"

"Well don't tell my wife!"

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Not a Children posted:

For those of you who don't watch the Super Bowl, Quicken just put out consumerism: the commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRm6Y5iVfw

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

2017 is gonna be turn out to be Mortgage Crisis 2: Electric Boogaloo, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Talk about sucking the cock of consumerism. That's terrible.

• Locked thread