Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
That sucks. I'm nowhere near that time and I doubt that's in the range of my capabilities. I think I JUST broke under 1:44, and she canna take much more.

They're still giving out 100 random cars to any participants though, cross fingers I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
How many people would have to drop out if we moved GETREKT to sunday at 4 instead of saturday at 4? Sounds like we can pick up at least 2 people.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I would likely be IN if that were the case, for a Sunday race.

In your face.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
And just an FYI, this Sunday is the Super Bowl, so I will definitely not be there this Sunday. After this weekend, Sundays are a go for me.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Woops. No go for me then!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah no Sunday for me this week, but I can make future Sundays when the Broncos aren't playing and there isn't F1 in the afternoon.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Yeah you guys weren't kidding about the Wraith being a huge piece of trash to drive. Got down to a 1:39.2 with Raceboy's setup. There's definitely more there through.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Sundays arent great for me becuase once f1 and track day (bro) season starts up again in another month or two i'll be missing every round unless its at like 10AM EST. Sunday is a sports/racing day for pretty much everyone, right? Whatever we end up deciding i'm excited :)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I can do either day. Maybe Sunday we can do earlier in the day?

L_Harrison posted:

Yeah you guys weren't kidding about the Wraith being a huge piece of trash to drive. Got down to a 1:39.2 with Raceboy's setup. There's definitely more there through.

Not a fan of his setup. The front end sways too much with the wheel. The DTM Lionel is more my style. But I still hate that car, as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So I have a few tips about the Rolls for this rivals event:

-Never drop below 3rd gear. You lose too much momentum shifting to second. I am in 4th gear for turn 1 and 3rd for all the other corners.
-The curb in Hawthorn Bend will gently caress you up bad. Do not hit it.
-You can cut the everloving gently caress out of both Westfield Bend and Dingle Dell without dirtying your lap, like three tires in the grass and one on the curb levels of cutting:

This gains you a shitload of time.

Also Harrison you can gain probably an addition 3 or 4 tenths in the first two turns, I'm routinely ahead of your ghost through them before I eat poo poo in turn 4.

e: I beat the T10 dude's time by a tenth while making a couple pretty major mistakes. Keep trying guys, his current time is totally beatable.

e2: Hey Harrison

get hosed boi

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 5, 2016

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
I'm only going to try again if he beats me. Otherwise that car is never leaving my garage again.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well he said he's gonna try again on the 12th. Personally I'm pretty confident I could run a mid 1:38, as I made some mistakes on my best lap.

Also I don't dislike this car at all. It's a hell of a lot better than that loving shitterrible Corvette you had to drive in Forza 4 to beat Montoya.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

It's a hell of a lot better than that loving shitterrible Corvette you had to drive in Forza 4 to beat Montoya.
That sucked.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I cannot do poo poo with that car and I honestly hate Brands Hatch. This challenge makes me feel like A Bad Racer instead of just a mediocre one and I get angry at it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Crossposting from GTCC, highlights from last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDEIr7FR70

If you're not already racing with us, you should be.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Cubey posted:

Also I don't dislike this car at all. It's a hell of a lot better than that loving shitterrible Corvette you had to drive in Forza 4 to beat Montoya.

Trigger warning that poo poo.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
So am I correct in assuming I missed the first unicorn car?

I'm going to try to get this one.

What's everyone's preferred tune to use? Also I figured I would pimp myself out and post these here.

*I shared all my tunes I've made since I started racing with GTCC, and cataloged them here, right in this super special post.*

A700
1989 Buick Regal GNX (now with shared donk paint)
1970 Buick GSX
Local Motors Rally Fighter (its seriously actually fast for a Rally Fighter)

B600
2000 Silvia
1993 Cobra Mustang
2002 Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
2002 Camaro SS

C500
1970 El Camino SS 454 (Le Mans Classic only)
1956 F100 Truck
1977 Holden Torana A9X
1997 Civic Type R (two tunes, dunno which was better, probably the Project NoAero one)
1973 Firechicken Trans-Am SD-455
1997 Volvo 850 R

D400
1967 Chevelle SS 396
2007 Civic Type-R

Special Cars
A615 2005 MX-5 Miata

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 5, 2016

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Endbuster posted:

So am I correct in assuming I missed the first unicorn car?

I'm going to try to get this one.

What's everyone's preferred tune to use? Also I figured I would pimp myself out and post these here.

*I shared all my tunes I've made since I started racing with GTCC, and cataloged them here, right in this super special post.*

A700
1989 Buick Regal GNX (now with shared donk paint)
1970 Buick GSX
Local Motors Rally Fighter (its seriously actually fast for a Rally Fighter)

B600
2000 Silvia
1993 Cobra Mustang
2002 Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
2002 Camaro SS

C500
1970 El Camino SS 454 (Le Mans Classic only)
1956 F100 Truck
1977 Holden Torana A9X
1997 Civic Type R (two tunes, dunno which was better, probably the Project NoAero one)
1973 Firechicken Trans-Am SD-455
1997 Volvo 850 R

D400
1967 Chevelle SS 396
2007 Civic Type-R

Special Cars
A615 2005 MX-5 Miata

For me I liked the feel of the DTM Lionel tune over the Raceboy one. There's another one LMR (something) that is in the top ten. I haven't tried it yet, was going to give it another go this weekend.

Cubivore: thanks for the tips!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

robotsinmyhead posted:

I cannot do poo poo with that car and I honestly hate Brands Hatch. This challenge makes me feel like A Bad Racer instead of just a mediocre one and I get angry at it.

Try loading up a ghost that's only a couple tenths faster than your current best and race until you beat it, then load up another ghost a couple tenths faster than your new best, repeat. I find that incrementally improving times when I'm struggling is the way to go rather than immediately going for a time a few seconds faster than what I've done.

Endbuster posted:

LMR Harmonic's tune put me atop the goon leaderboard for this event. It makes the car feel really planted as long as you avoid the urge to shift into 2nd in the slower turns. I highly recommend it.

geeves posted:

Cubivore: thanks for the tips!

:hf:

e: I improved to a 1:39.005 this morning. Hopefully that puts me in the clear for whatever new time this dude sets on the 12th. Still got a good half a second in this car at least, really messed up the last two turns in that run.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 5, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I miss the FM4 ghost system where it would have your own ghost show up as well. It really made it easy to chase your own times and see where improvement was needed. Now you can only see your own ghost if you pick yourself as the rival, and then you can only see it until you beat it. Instead of a new ghost representing your new fastest time you get no ghost.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah. The game not being able to just load in a new ghost dynamically while you're driving makes no sense to me. Even if it means that after you beat the current target you have to race for a lap with no ghost while it downloads the info for the next one, it seems like something that should be easy to pull off.

I hate having to go through loading screens to exit and re-enter the race and then waste another cold lap just to get a new ghost on the track.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I miss the FM4 ghost system where it would have your own ghost show up as well. It really made it easy to chase your own times and see where improvement was needed. Now you can only see your own ghost if you pick yourself as the rival, and then you can only see it until you beat it. Instead of a new ghost representing your new fastest time you get no ghost.

Yeah the mario kart way would be a nice thing to have as well.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Cubey posted:

-Never drop below 3rd gear. You lose too much momentum shifting to second. I am in 4th gear for turn 1 and 3rd for all the other corners.
-You can cut the everloving gently caress out of both Westfield Bend and Dingle Dell without dirtying your lap, like three tires in the grass and one on the curb levels of cutting:

Also Harrison you can gain probably an addition 3 or 4 tenths in the first two turns, I'm routinely ahead of your ghost through them before I eat poo poo in turn 4.

e: I beat the T10 dude's time by a tenth while making a couple pretty major mistakes. Keep trying guys, his current time is totally beatable.

get hosed boi

This is really helpful, thanks.

I just can't get Druids down for some reason. The car just doesn't want to turn in hard enough, even though it seems like I'm braking at the same point and going the same speed as the ghost I'm following. I'll lose a ton of time here and then I'll make most of it back on the rest of the track.

The last turn is also a 50/50 shot on whether I do it perfectly or it ruins my lap entirely, but at least there I know why I gently caress it up when I gently caress it up.

You can cut the corner on the left hander at the bottom of Graham Hill leading into Cooper Straight pretty significantly too without it dirtying your lap. I haven't seen many of the faster ghosts doing that and I tend to pick up some time there.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Digging through the GTCC videos to hype a throwback spec, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKeplZyRoy4

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Those halcyon days when I had no loving idea how to be even relatively decent at Forza.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cubey posted:

get hosed boi

Woah nws it next time you post a limp dick pic in this thread.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BCRock posted:

I just can't get Druids down for some reason. The car just doesn't want to turn in hard enough, even though it seems like I'm braking at the same point and going the same speed as the ghost I'm following. I'll lose a ton of time here and then I'll make most of it back on the rest of the track.

The approach that seems to work best for me in Druids is to take a wide entry and a very late apex. It's not what I did on my current PB, but in trying to beat that PB I'm making up several car lengths by doing that. Turn 4 and the last two corners are what are losing me the most time.

e: into the 1:38's I go :toot:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 6, 2016

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

PhancyPants posted:

Digging through the GTCC videos to hype a throwback spec, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKeplZyRoy4

Of all the terrible driving in that video, the mention of Falken made me laugh the most.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I don't understand what's going on in that video.. the group is driving sports cars with a racing pedigree that are fun to drive instead of S class Campervans with mandatory maximum ride height, stock tires and no aero?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't understand what's going on in that video.. the group is driving sports cars with a racing pedigree that are fun to drive instead of S class Campervans with mandatory maximum ride height, stock tires and no aero?

Dont forget mandatory race brakes and roll cages.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well, alright

Also:

Done with this event unless the T10 dude sets a faster time than that. Not sure I could even beat him if he does, that lap was as close to perfect as I'm gonna get.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Going to give this event a proper try next weekend potentially - been too busy racing actual racecars to race internet racecars. The RR seems okay so far.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

So for those of you "hurting" for credits, check what Boost mods you have. If you have +60% or +100% XP mods, use them on endurance races. This weekend I use 3 +60%XP on Sebring and 3 +60% on Indy then 3 +100% XP on Daytona and climbed from ~215 and 34m credits to ~264 and 56m in credits due to all the spins. I probably could have gotten more XP if I ran higher than Highly Skilled in the drivatar settings and also more credits.

Cubey posted:

Well, alright

Also:

Done with this event unless the T10 dude sets a faster time than that. Not sure I could even beat him if he does, that lap was as close to perfect as I'm gonna get.

I tuned my own Wraith and got down to 1:43ish; forgot I was in test drive mode so it didn't count. - I still take Druids in 2nd though. I don't think I'm going to improve 5 seconds with this boat, so I'm kinda done with this challenge. It was still fun though to drive a car I might normally have written off. I might try to improve just in the hopes I one of the lucky 100 give the car because of participation.

I think I'm going to tune it to A class so I can get sport tires and weight reduction and maybe a bit more power. (seriously 5000 lbs curb weight?)

geeves fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 7, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

What on earth do you plan on doing with 56 million credits :psyduck:

Also I too started using 2nd on Druids. It's not as consistent and easier to lose time to wheelspin, but it gains a tenth or so if you do it right. I also started using 3rd for turn 1 rather than 4th.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Crossposting from GTCC, highlights from last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDEIr7FR70

If you're not already racing with us, you should be.

That garbage car looks like the perfect multiplayer gimmick race car

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

That garbage car looks like the perfect multiplayer gimmick race car

My a class tune is shared for it. Give it a go. It's not really all that bad.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cubey posted:

What on earth do you plan on doing with 56 million credits :psyduck:

Also I too started using 2nd on Druids. It's not as consistent and easier to lose time to wheelspin, but it gains a tenth or so if you do it right. I also started using 3rd for turn 1 rather than 4th.

I think I'm going to start to buy every car in the game. I am hitting the 1 million payout on pretty much every 3rd level up spin. I've gone from about 6 million at Christmas to what I have now. :v:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I don't know if they tweaked the prize spin formula or if it's just a function of being a high level, but I've gotten about $20M credits (including the guaranteed $10M spin at level 200) going from level 192ish to 205 in the last week. I've hit $1M on almost every prize spin and $750k on the couple that weren't $1M.

I feel like I got a ton of garbage spins from 150-190.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

They tweaked the prize amounts for spins (ie there are far fewer low amounts in higher-level spins) while reducing the money you earn in individual races, which is most noticeable in endurance races. Once you are above level 50 or so you make money faster overall than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Everytime on Spa

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/geeves412/video/14602261

• Locked thread