Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

ZombieLenin posted:

2. Decreased the number of modules on lower tiers to ease the progression mechanic.

Can I have the XP I blew unlocking useless poo poo back as free XP?

They didn't say they decreased the XP required overall, just the number of modules.

I wouldn't be shocked if Wargaming just tagged the XP from the removed modules onto the unlock costs of the next tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Wargaming just tagged the XP from the removed modules onto the unlock costs of the next tank.

if you tally up exp costs for various tanks that's how it usually works out anyway. just compare the Caern (3 painfully expensive modules) to the VKA (1 expensive module) - one has the T9 cost 110k to unlock, the other 170k.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tank upgrades should be slight upgrades at best and mostly sidegrades for different specifications.

i'll never understand why wargaming thinks giving people barely functioning tanks for 50 battles is minimally interesting.

it's because of that sweet premium cash

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Mans posted:

tank upgrades should be slight upgrades at best and mostly sidegrades for different specifications.

i'll never understand why wargaming thinks giving people barely functioning tanks for 50 battles is minimally interesting.

it's because of that sweet premium cash

Historical (or vaguely historical) configurations differ vastly in power, it's why the upgrade was done to begin with. If you want each tank to be limited to slight upgrades you'll be stuck with a 20 tier War Thunder tree.

Plus yeah, sweet sweet cash.

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I created a PS4 Community for those of us dumb enough to play this game on a console. It is called Goon Tonks.

PM me, Respond here with your PSN name, or send a PSN message to ShankyMcStabber for an invite.

Ensign Expendable, because almost no one looks at the Console thread for this game is there any chance you can add this to the OP?

Can do!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

The M44 is cool and fun and now I just need to be rich so I can play every game with all HEAT and Cola

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So is WG actually selling any of these new premiums besides the Korea tank?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ZombieLenin posted:

So is WG actually selling any of these new premiums besides the Korea tank?

Mutz tomorrow, they have like 30 premiums in the backlog.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can win a Type 59 this month!! (Only good and/or lucky players need apply)

Hellsau posted:

Mutz tomorrow, they have like 30 premiums in the backlog.

There's four more premium pseudo-clones coming in 9.14, too.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
gently caress THE CONTEST gently caress THE TYPE 59 gently caress WG

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

You can win a Type 59 this month!! (Only good and/or lucky players need apply)

There's four more premium pseudo-clones coming in 9.14, too.

the only way I would consider playing for it is the 3rd option but my english comprehension is bad. Does it mean the top 3 players in exp for any tank can get a type 59, which means that a total of 3 * (number of tanks in game) is up for grabs. Or that its the 3 people who can rig a t1 cunningham to kill a bunch of tier 10's

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's three players across all tanks, ranked by base XP. So your Cunningham idea is valid.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Why would I join a contest for something I already have?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you see Steelion as a role model?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Agrajag posted:

I haven't really played in like 2 years is the Glorious Panda Express still king poo poo of the T8 Premiums?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

This game. Christttt. Watching three top tier heavies, one top and one middle tier medium, one mid tier arty and a bottom tier heavy getting utterly and shamefully wrecked by a single IS-3A and an M44. They just fed them both damage. One by one. I saw a full health T34 chase the M44 and... christ. The M44 missed him, he missed the M44. He ran into the IS-3A, missed the M44 again (who was stationary at the time) and got hit by both of them while bouncing off the IS-3A. The IS-3A drove off to reset the cap at that point and I followed that for a bit. It took a full minute for the T34 to kill the M44. They were standing next to each other when I left them. The M44 was just chilling there. I swear to god, I think this match gave me brain damage.

We ended up winning, with only the Löwe and the T34 barely left alive. I normally don't care too much about how bad people are at this game, but jfc.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Campaign 4 report:

SIMP is bad but not funny bad like VOLT or ROXY or IOC. There's my Fourth Campaign story. SIMP is in the top 15 clans because there simply aren't enough clans, not because we succeeded in any way. Welp got tank whatever.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

I haven't gotten around to translating it yet, but I'll add it to the queue if you're interested.

Oh no big deal, I was just curious because he mentioned an article that wasn't linked, and I thought it was either some big deal or some super secret article then. I was under the impression that the FV215b was the Conqueror + 183, and the 120 mm version was the WG fake, yet here he seems to suggest that it was a real project (but not the Conq itself?)

M.C. McMic posted:

Also, I'm not so sure giving pubbies free tier 8 prems is such a bad thing when I'm trying to grind the Pershing. Maybe I should play *more* this month.

On a side not, I'm still mostly stock, and the Pershing is slow as poo poo and I have to fire a lot of premium, and it's frustrating for me, since I have very little time to play tanks.

It's one thing if you're driving vehicles specifically to farm the shitters in their temp tier 8s, but if you're trying to play normally the games are worse than usual. The pubbies are absolutely less than their normal "completely worthless" selves, and you can't TK to get rid of your own shitters so it's been abysmal.

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I created a PS4 Community for those of us dumb enough to play this game on a console. It is called Goon Tonks.

I actually suggested the PS4 version to my little brother, who hasn't played the PC WoT in 3 years but has been exclusively playing his PS4, and to my surprise he said he was just going to play PC again and pick up where he left off. I didn't think he was interested in playing on PC anymore, but he said it didn't make sense to start grinding from the beginning again when he's got that old account. :shrug: What about you; why not do the same thing and continue with your existing PC account?

ZombieLenin posted:

2. Decreased the number of modules on lower tiers to ease the progression mechanic.

Can I have the XP I blew unlocking useless poo poo back as free XP?

You spend barely any XP on modules at low tiers anyway.

Agrajag posted:

Don't worry, the Type 59 isn't even any good. I sold mine; the 59-Patton is just so much better, that's all I play now.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I don't see the big deal, I managed to get a type without even trying! :v:

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/483453-404-tank-not-found/

Campaign related salt mine.

-404- got caught rigging fame, now are blaming everyone else for it. Also they have a hatred for punctuation and grammar.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Atomizer posted:

I actually suggested the PS4 version to my little brother, who hasn't played the PC WoT in 3 years but has been exclusively playing his PS4, and to my surprise he said he was just going to play PC again and pick up where he left off. I didn't think he was interested in playing on PC anymore, but he said it didn't make sense to start grinding from the beginning again when he's got that old account. :shrug: What about you; why not do the same thing and continue with your existing PC account?

To be honest I could go back to playing any one of my various PC accounts that are stocked with tanks, but then I would go back to trolling non-stop and talking poo poo and end up with all my accounts chat-banned (I have no self restraint when it comes to that). On the console there is no text chat which removes that temptation (and even better, I never have to hear the insane drivel that gets spewn by the lead swallowing mongoloids that play on PC). Plus my brother and a couple of friends of mine don't have PCs good enough to really play tanks without horrible frame-rate lag, but they do have a working PS4.

Honestly I was never turned off by "the grind" in tanks and with the PS4 version having a much faster XP rate, it is literally a non-issue for me. Throw in that I also have a XIM, so I am able to still play with Mouse + Keyboard instead of a lovely controller and it just seems I can't get any motivation to even install the game on my computer but I have been playing it on my console pretty often.

I am not sure what the maps look like on PC now (I haven't played in a year) but the maps on the console seem to be a bit different that I remember. Mainly it is a lot of additional uneven terrain providing cover in areas that used to be slaughter zones, but it seems to change the flow of the maps.

The hilarious part is with the game so new on the PS4 almost none of the players have learned what parts of the maps allow you to easily control the flow of battle while at the same time there seems to be less camping. I was on a Campinovka map that only had 2 whole tanks camping base while the rest were brawling in the small northern town (the only people who went hill from either team was my platoon, and we used that advantage to ruthlessly cull the herd). I haven't even seen more than 1 or 2 heavies try to climb the hill while fighting on The Dorf.

It's been some fun seal clubbing while going working my way back up the tank tiers. And yes, I even made a PS4 version of Stug Lyfe to see if I could stir up some drama from others who crossed over from PC to PS4 (and there seems to be more than a few).

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Vorkosigan posted:

-404- got caught rigging fame, now are blaming everyone else for it. Also they have a hatred for punctuation and grammar.

Jesus SIMP thought they technicalled a fight last night and we were laughing at them. This is way funnier. Rip rigging.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

Oh no big deal, I was just curious because he mentioned an article that wasn't linked, and I thought it was either some big deal or some super secret article then. I was under the impression that the FV215b was the Conqueror + 183, and the 120 mm version was the WG fake, yet here he seems to suggest that it was a real project (but not the Conq itself?)

The FV215 Heavy Anti-Tank SP No. 2 only used the suspension from the Conqueror (and even that was reinforced), the hull was from the FV200 experimental heavy tank.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Hellsau posted:

Campaign 4 report:

SIMP is bad but not funny bad like VOLT or ROXY or IOC. There's my Fourth Campaign story. SIMP is in the top 15 clans because there simply aren't enough clans, not because we succeeded in any way. Welp got tank whatever.

You guys should probably fire anyone who can only get one shot off in a waffle.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

The M44 fuckin' owns. My crew is almost max so I'm going to start shooting HEAT. Are there any tanks I need to be wary of that my HEAT shell might not penetrate? I really don't understand how HEAT works.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
The gently caress is up with LT-9 on the T28 concept? The retarded mission says I need to spot 4 tanks before anyone spots me and ive done that in like 4 games so far and it wont loving complete it for me.
Does my retarded team need to actually manage to damage the tanks I spot or what?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Things HEAT has difficulty with/cannot pen: Spaced armor/tracks, heavily sloped armor.

So for the M44 just avoid shooting anything that looks curvy. German and Japanese tanks are your friends.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Vorkosigan posted:

Just want to say check out page 11 where a -404- member admits to rigging the T-22 after several screenshots are posted of rigged Domination battles. Good thing WGA clearly allows T-22 rigging.

RocketSurgeon posted:

The gently caress is up with LT-9 on the T28 concept? The retarded mission says I need to spot 4 tanks before anyone spots me and ive done that in like 4 games so far and it wont loving complete it for me.
Does my retarded team need to actually manage to damage the tanks I spot or what?

You have to be the first tank to light a particular enemy tank four times, and all four times must be before you are lit once. Remember that Sixth Sense has a delay. The Obj 260 version of that mission is to spot SEVEN tanks before any of your teammates do and before being lit a single time. It's awful and actively harms your teams.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Hellsau posted:

You have to be the first tank to light a particular enemy tank four times, and all four times must be before you are lit once. Remember that Sixth Sense has a delay. The Obj 260 version of that mission is to spot SEVEN tanks before any of your teammates do and before being lit a single time. It's awful and actively harms your teams.

That sounds incredibly stupid and also not what is advertised in the description. gently caress LT missions

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

RocketSurgeon posted:

That sounds incredibly stupid and also not what is advertised in the description. gently caress LT missions

Rather, gently caress all missions. They are pretty bugged as it is as well.
I got "the kill 3 tanks while remaining unspotted" by killing Mutzes at point blank range in an AT-15 in the city on Windstorm.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
And this is why I drink.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
HEAT mechanics are pretty lackluster. They don't matter very much for arty because of all the other randomness involved.

Anyway here's a quick rundown. HEAT like AP in that it's either pen and do damage, or fail to pen and do nothing. AP and APCR autobounce off armor angled over 70 degrees, but HEAT doesn't bounce until armor hits 85 degrees*. The tradeoff is HEAT doesn't get normalization, which is an automatic reduction to effective armor angle on shots that don't bounce**. Also, HEAT gets completely eaten by spaced armor (including gun mantlets, tracks, side skirts).

* Any reasonably thick plate is going to be very thick above 70 degrees, so this advantage isn't as big as you think it is. The upside is being able to penetrate thin plates at extreme angles that would bounce AP and CR, which is extremely rare in practice.
** Let's say you hit a plate at 65 degrees with AP. Normalization gives you -5 degrees to the effective angle of the plate, meaning the plate will be considered to be only 60 degrees thick in the penetration calculation.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

official pic of the G15 this time:

that gun mount is remarkably ugly. speaking of ugly, the kirovets manages to make the IS-3 unsexy. no small feat.

i do like the grey bulldog though

Prav fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 5, 2016

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Why are they not releasing the rear turret is3? Is it because it would be unstoppable while sidescraping or what? There was talk about it a year ago or something and I've seen it in game on one of those promo/supertester accounts.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You got a screenshot of that? Sounds amazing.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Now granted I might be retarded but im pretty sure I've seen a tank with the kirovets' flat front plate but with a turret in the rear in game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

RocketSurgeon posted:

Now granted I might be retarded but im pretty sure I've seen a tank with the kirovets' flat front plate but with a turret in the rear in game.

....The Obj 416? The KV-4 TD abomination?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Just let me delve into the "soviet archives" I'm sure I can find some napkins of Comrade Stalin that combines all these tanks together.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Infected posted:

Just let me delve into the "soviet archives" I'm sure I can find some napkins of Comrade Stalin that combines all these tanks together.

please don't sass EE he's a cool dude

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Infected posted:

I'm waiting for the KV-VI before I grind Russian heavies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

RocketSurgeon posted:

Why are they not releasing the rear turret is3? Is it because it would be unstoppable while sidescraping or what? There was talk about it a year ago or something and I've seen it in game on one of those promo/supertester accounts.

There was never such a thing. There is, however, an abomination designed by iirc Shashmurin that somehow became known in the West as IS-2M. This thing had a rear turret and AFAIK is the only thing relates to IS tanks to do so.