Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Geostomp posted:

To get back to this game, I've heard that Ubisoft has claimed that Aiden being such a terrible person was intentional. Do you think that's likely?

Having watched all of that Bad Blood LP linked earlier, there's multiple times where characters call out how terrible Aiden is. Going forward, Aiden being terrible is going to be intentional, but comparing Bad Blood to the main game, there's no way it was originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Aithon posted:

Every possible interpretation of Aiden has probably been "intended" at some point through development, the problem is that they didn't end up properly deciding and focusing on one.

This. It's less Ubisoft backpedaling and more 'shifting the narrative to match the public's current outcry/perception of him.'

So really, it's people figuring out Aiden is a terrible person and Ubisoft confirming it :v:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Geostomp posted:

To get back to this game, I've heard that Ubisoft has claimed that Aiden being such a terrible person was intentional. Do you think that's likely?

Not even slightly. Said it before - games can work with the protagonist being a terrible person, but it requires proper narrative framing.

Aiden never suffers from his own hubris or poor behavior. Others suffer for it, but he never does. The worst he gets is that his sisterwife is kidnapped - a person who he's outright said he's estranged from and has minimal contact with, and aside from the occasional angstful one-liner he never seems to give a drat. Including when he risks her life by calling Damien's bluff. At the end, Aiden walks away with everything he wanted and no downsides.

Aiden never has an introspective moment where he thinks about the terrible things he's done. He is, start to finish, totally fine with the fact that he is rampantly ruining the lives of everyone near him. He murders people without the slightest regret (and often only the flimsiest of reasons), he'll steal from anyone he feels like, ruins lives for no other reason than because he can, etc. A purposely terrible character would at least have a moment of "I have become the monster", but Aiden never shows any second thoughts about it.

Aiden also never has anyone else call him out on it. He could get away with the rest, if it weren't for the fact that everyone else also treats him like he's golden. T-Bone gives him some poo poo at the beginning but almost immediately gives up his biggest secrets and deepest principles to help Aiden. Clara basically commits suicide to appease Aiden's guilt, despite the fact that he spends the entire game treating her poorly and physically assaulting her. Jacks comes the closest by being sad at him for twenty seconds after Aiden murders a dozen people, but that's literally never followed up on or touched again. Nicky has a brief shock of "Oh my god, you do bad things!" but then turns around and immediately does everything Aiden tells her to without question. Even the antagonists treat Aiden like a paragon. To say nothing of that final monologue.

If Ubi meant for Aiden to be seen as a terrible person, they missed literally every cue to show it, went out of their way to have him treated as a hero by everyone and made the script reward him at every turn for being terrible. It's totally a backpedal after they realized they'd created a sociopathic rear end in a top hat.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Not even slightly. Said it before - games can work with the protagonist being a terrible person, but it requires proper narrative framing.

The absolute best example of this is The Last of Us.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'm amazed they had the restraint not to call the game #WATCHDOGS.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

OldMemes posted:

I'm amazed they had the restraint not to call the game #WATCHDOGS.

That's the sequel title.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Tempest_56 posted:

Aiden never suffers from his own hubris or poor behavior. Others suffer for it, but he never does. The worst he gets is that his sisterwife is kidnapped - a person who he's outright said he's estranged from and has minimal contact with, and aside from the occasional angstful one-liner he never seems to give a drat. Including when he risks her life by calling Damien's bluff. At the end, Aiden walks away with everything he wanted and no downsides.

Aiden never has an introspective moment where he thinks about the terrible things he's done. He is, start to finish, totally fine with the fact that he is rampantly ruining the lives of everyone near him. He murders people without the slightest regret (and often only the flimsiest of reasons), he'll steal from anyone he feels like, ruins lives for no other reason than because he can, etc. A purposely terrible character would at least have a moment of "I have become the monster", but Aiden never shows any second thoughts about it.

Aiden also never has anyone else call him out on it. He could get away with the rest, if it weren't for the fact that everyone else also treats him like he's golden. T-Bone gives him some poo poo at the beginning but almost immediately gives up his biggest secrets and deepest principles to help Aiden. Clara basically commits suicide to appease Aiden's guilt, despite the fact that he spends the entire game treating her poorly and physically assaulting her. Jacks comes the closest by being sad at him for twenty seconds after Aiden murders a dozen people, but that's literally never followed up on or touched again. Nicky has a brief shock of "Oh my god, you do bad things!" but then turns around and immediately does everything Aiden tells her to without question. Even the antagonists treat Aiden like a paragon. To say nothing of that final monologue.

If Ubi meant for Aiden to be seen as a terrible person, they missed literally every cue to show it, went out of their way to have him treated as a hero by everyone and made the script reward him at every turn for being terrible. It's totally a backpedal after they realized they'd created a sociopathic rear end in a top hat.
Yeah, pretty much this. gently caress you Ubisoft for having absolutely no sense of writing, Assassin's Creed III had better sense of character than this and yes I do include the ending.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

The absolute best example of this is The Last of Us.

Definitely. Joel is a monster but one you 100% understand which is why he's so effective.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Definitely. Joel is a monster but one you 100% understand which is why he's so effective.

The Last of Us remains one of my favorite games primarily for its character development. Joel's a raging rear end in a top hat who kills and tortures a bunch of people, but he doesn't really hurt anyone who didn't have it coming (whereas Aiden will steal hundreds of dollars from poor cancer patients so he can buy a new pistol). When Joel gets stuck having to take care of a bratty teenage girl, he doesn't grab her by the neck to assert dominance. He just grits his teeth and goes along with it, even diving in filthy water to float her on a raft because she can't swim. Over the course of a year, the two of them grow to respect and have loyalty toward one another: Joel views her as a surrogate daughter and goes further and further to protect her from harm and make her feel comfortable, while Ellie mellows out and learns to take care of herself. In the end, Joel is even willing to sacrifice an end to the apocalypse just to keep her safe.

The key is that Joel and Ellie are both assholes, but both acknowledge their flaws and work to correct them.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

chitoryu12 posted:

The Last of Us remains one of my favorite games primarily for its character development. Joel's a raging rear end in a top hat who kills and tortures a bunch of people, but he doesn't really hurt anyone who didn't have it coming (whereas Aiden will steal hundreds of dollars from poor cancer patients so he can buy a new pistol). When Joel gets stuck having to take care of a bratty teenage girl, he doesn't grab her by the neck to assert dominance. He just grits his teeth and goes along with it, even diving in filthy water to float her on a raft because she can't swim. Over the course of a year, the two of them grow to respect and have loyalty toward one another: Joel views her as a surrogate daughter and goes further and further to protect her from harm and make her feel comfortable, while Ellie mellows out and learns to take care of herself. In the end, Joel is even willing to sacrifice an end to the apocalypse just to keep her safe. not allow her to make her own decision.

The key is that Joel and Ellie are both assholes, but both acknowledge their flaws and work to correct them.

There we go.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

There we go.

Don't forget about lying directly to her face about it!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That puts it in a way more negative light than I think it deserves. Joel grew to truly love and care about Ellie, when there was once a time where if it wasn't for trying to live up to Tess's demands to finish the job he probably would have just dumped her on the side of the road and kept running out of Boston. In the end, the Fireflies themselves weren't 100% sure that they could get anything positive out of killing Ellie.

Ellie couldn't have agency, as she was drugged without being told that she was sacrificing her life in the operating room. It's arguable whether or not it was right for Joel to lie about how it all went down, but it's definitely not arguable that Ellie had her choice taken away by the Fireflies before Joel ever made his own. Joel was given the choice of either letting his surrogate daughter unknowingly get her brain scooped out so they might be able to cure the plague, or saving her life.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

We should probably nip this in the bud, as this is a thread about Watch Underscore Dogs but: There is nothing in the game to suggest that Ellie did not fully understand getting to the firefly's would mean her death. In fact there are a few moments that suggest the opposite is true. Joel decided that the girl was his replacement daughter, and directly went against her own wishes for his own selfish reasons. Then he lies to her about it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Plus it's heavily implied that the Fireflies don't know what they're doing, and all the scientists who could have made a cure got killed years ago, so they're going to play doctor and hope for the best. There's a good chance getting Ellie killed won't do anything, except humour the last remenants of a resistance so they can give the finger to the last remenants of the miltary.

See, The Last of Us has a layered and complex story with characters who have ambigous motives. Watchdogs doesn't.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Fourteen year olds are well known for their critical thinking skills and ability to responsibly assess and pursue the course they want their life to take.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

you guys wanna talk about monsters well lemme tell you about this nathan drake character

he kills people and just makes jokes about it like a psycho!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

you guys wanna talk about monsters well lemme tell you about this nathan drake character

but
but they were BAD MEN, and they clearly talk about it lots of times about how BAD MEN they are and pewpew in lots of places, like even an innocent village full of people! :ohdear:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

That's your neck :hehe:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I would pay for iconic terrible charecter merchandise for the Prototype series, shame Activism couldn't figure out what to do with their iconic hoodie character the way DogWatch capitalized on

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thats probably for the best, Alex Mercer has one of the dumbest outfits this side of Jrpgs.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Having watched all of that Bad Blood LP linked earlier, there's multiple times where characters call out how terrible Aiden is. Going forward, Aiden being terrible is going to be intentional, but comparing Bad Blood to the main game, there's no way it was originally.

This reminds me of the Bioshock Infinite DLC where, after the stupidity of the "both sides are bad" message when the leader of the Vox Populi threatens to murder a child they then retconned it using the twins.

Just a big ol' "We're not lovely writers, we totally had this planned out all along guys! Please believe us!"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

This reminds me of the Bioshock Infinite DLC where, after the stupidity of the "both sides are bad" message when the leader of the Vox Populi threatens to murder a child they then retconned it using the twins.

Just a big ol' "We're not lovely writers, we totally had this planned out all along guys! Please believe us!"

Except then the Infinite DLC made the entire plot of the entire Bioshock series worse. Bad Blood actually somewhat improves things,

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RareAcumen posted:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

The precursor to Aiden. My god, it was right in front of us this whole time and we just ignored it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

interstate 76 remake looking good

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So I guess we're in agreement about Ubisoft claiming Aiden was supposed to be a dick was just someone trying to cover their rear end about how much of a raging hypocrite their "hero" became after all the various script pages settled?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

My only question is when do we play a game where you play as a criminal that does screw everybody over to get money real fast, but you're so loveable because you got 40 lego mans that are too adorable to defy even when they're ransacking your bank?

I'm talking of course about Watch_Bonnes.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
MegaMan is never coming back.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

FinalGamer posted:

My only question is when do we play a game where you play as a criminal that does screw everybody over to get money real fast, but you're so loveable because you got 40 lego mans that are too adorable to defy even when they're ransacking your bank?

This is pretty much the exact set up for the opening of Saint's Row 3 but minus the robots

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

This is Saints Row 2

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FinalGamer posted:

Hey. Hey, let me ruin this for you.

Servbots are just Minions who speak English.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

END ME SCOOB posted:

Shut the gently caress up, don't ruin Tron Bonne for everyone

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

END ME SCOOB posted:

Take it back

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

END ME SCOOB posted:

No, but nice try.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Testekill posted:

Shut the gently caress up, don't ruin Tron Bonne for everyone

JordanKai posted:

No, but nice try.

TELL ME I'M WRONG, MOTHERFUCKERS

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

Servbots are just Minions who are cute.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think you meant to say that Minions are just Servbots that are lovely.

I'm pretty sure it is.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

END ME SCOOB posted:

The thing is that the character traits people dislike about Minions aren't character traits they share with Servbots. Servbots don't speak gibberish, they aren't loud and on tilt all the time, they don't have creepy, soulless eyes and they don't have hairlines that make them look like fat, middle-aged men. Servbots are also downtrodden and constantly the butt of jokes. Even when they're being smug and confident it's only to show how weak and insignificant they really are. From the amount of cringeworthy memes I've seen on Twitter and Tumblr, the impression that I get is that when the Minions are being smug and self-righteous you're supposed to relate to that and/or project yourself onto them. They radiate an obnoxious sense of self-worth combined with an extremely cynical worldview.

The only thing the two really have in common is two colours in their colour palette and that they're henchmen. Other than that they're pretty different to be honest.

That's my effort post about why Servbots rule and Minions drool. I hope you enjoyed it. :coffeepal:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

END ME SCOOB posted:

You're wrong, motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Those memes don't nearly have enough gradients, different fonts in a single sentence, JPG artifacts, or watermarks to compare to minion memes.

• Locked thread