Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At first I wondered if the animated footage was from the anime, but the anime is like 3 months out, and knowing anime studio scheduling, there's no way they'd have any footage of von Karma ready by this time, which just means they animated separate animated footage for the pachislot machine, which I can buy but seems silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

At first I wondered if the animated footage was from the anime, but the anime is like 3 months out, and knowing anime studio scheduling, there's no way they'd have any footage of von Karma ready by this time, which just means they animated separate animated footage for the pachislot machine, which I can buy but seems silly.

It's pretty common.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Nah, the anime is finished but locked into the Pachinko machines, you have to earn it.

Okay, I think I'm almost done with PLvsPW, nearing the end of Chapter 9 i assume and then there'll be an epilogue one that takes place where a prologue would or something, fun stuff so far, tho! Interesting mechanics, playing with 'em was cool specially when they felt overwhelming I could just throw in a hint coin to narrow it down to a ludicrous degree since I only ever used the coins for, like, four puzzles. Very nice cases, mostly fun puzzles, the only lowpoint was the puzzle tower since they were hilariously easy.

But the real reason i'm posting is that Nick is now pacing back and forth behind the bench and murdering the framerate whenever he walks close to an active torch placed where I can't even see the fire lol. Oh this game could've used a bit more time being optimized.

Kinda love that the final(?) bit of the case is Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 30, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

if maya's not in aa6 i'm not even buying it

but it's okay because there's no way capcom can gently caress this up

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

also does anybody know if the anime will cover 1-5 or not

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Got the "big reveal", saw it coming but I was really excited for it because I so needed to know how the gently caress they'd pull of the godoor trick (a portal through sides of a wall painted green) and that's the one trick they don't loving explain. Also it's kinda hilarious "it was surprisingly easy to pull this off, just needed to keep the witches at 5-10 at all times and have several dozen people in charge of following these girls during their entire day by working in shifts" that's not loving easy, that's actually very, very convoluted! I'm sure if I spent some more time thinking on it there'd be even more stuff not adding up, but eh, still very fun.

Ohhh did I speak too soon? ...so the reason for these inexplicable things, which no logic could've solved, is nothing but drugs? am i about to prove that we are all baked 24/7 420?

"Although you know me as the Storyteller, I have one more identity. I am the president of Labrelum Inc." I want to loving frame this quote in a wall. Wait, no the research facility one. YUP, THEY ARE LIVING ON FIELDS OF WEED. SO THIS RICH rear end in a top hat JUST WALTZ INTO WEED TOWN AND STUDIES THE SUPER WEED, ESPELLA ACCIDENTALLY LITS IT AND THEY ALL START HAVING MASS HALLUCINATION.

Man, if I had one complaint for most of the cases is that they weren't outlandish enough, the explanations made a bit too much sense all-around, but this poo poo delivers at the end.

GOVERNMENTAL CONSPIRACY INVOLVED THIS IS THE FUCKIGN BEST. I understand the complaints on this, even though it's hinted there's quite a bit that doesn't add up at all, and it's such a huge tone changer, it is by all means dumb but goddamn I loving love this stupid ridiculous thing, I very much enjoy AA cases that have contrived, ridiculous and somewhat stupid revelations, showcasing that the guilty parties are ridiculous, unhealthy people, I just love it a ton, dating back to AA1 and good ol' Manfred having to raise a child and not once take a day off for his bullet wound to hide his crime, when not doing all that would've probably been better, or 5-2, my first real case in the franchise, involving the accused donning a wrestling outfit opposite of his real person gimmick and not revealing this due to carrying the dreams of children on his werestling muscled back, thus causing the case to need to be made. This game's freaking up there with my favorites, it's nowhere near as strong as AA3 but that one's just straight up perfection, this is very great execution and hilarious contrivance.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 30, 2016

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I just finished a replay of Layton vs. Wright yesterday and I loved it because once you know and stop caring about the stupid nonsensical twists at the end it's just a lot of dumb fun.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Just finished it now (was practically falling asleep at around 1:30am but still had some ending dialogue to go through) and yeah, it's a lot of fun.

The cases were a lot of fun, even though the first ones were extremely obvious with the culprit the way you got to them with the new mechanics involved was very interesting, and the first gimmick in the last case was very interesting and, thanks to the hint coins, ended up not being as tiring as you'd think. The puzzles were good, god I loving love puzzles, I'd say 60/70 were solid with some shining standouts here and there and 10 (more than half of which show up near the end) are pretty lame, which I guess was done so you wouldn't spoil the "yeah, good guys are now breaking through the mystery at full pace!" moment with someone getting stuck for ten minutes on puzzle 2 out of 4. Final puzzle I understand had the same reasoning but c'mon. The overarching story is okay, nothing too deep and emotional but, hey, this is a crossover game, same reason Nick is sorta like a time missplaced version of himself (he sorta acts like he's not even finished with JFA yet his dialogue sorta implies he's done T&T) can't go too deep on the characters and give them development outside of the main series.

Had a stellar time, I can see what moment people say the game went downhill, but I loving loved that moment and all the insanity that ensued thereafter. It sorta felt like it started off like Mulder writing Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton fanfiction, then Scully found and wrote the final chapter just to be a dick. "Oh, Mulder, since magic and the supernatural aren't real I just assumed this is where you were going with your fanfiction, it just makes more sense don't you think?" "Dammit they were going to kiss!" i haven't actually seen the x-files but i assume this is what they do.

Oh and yeah, I understand that it's the simple nature of the characters: Layton is a respected gentleman (with sick loving swordsman cutscenes??) and Nick is the underdog defense attorney, but a bit too often it comes out like Layton is the better man and Nick relies on him even when we're dealing with his specialty. It's an annoying thing but doesn't break it for me.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 30, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I could forgive alot of it if Nick actually had a decent role to play in the finale and got to be an Ace Attorney, getting patronisingly led by the nose by Layton through the whole final courtroom segment was absolutely unacceptable though, it didn't feel like the AA side of the game was given any consideration at all in the endgame

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 30, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would've been fine with it PLvAA didn't lie about being a good game after the first two cases and decided it wasn't gonna give a poo poo anymore about the AA side after the second case of the game and didn't make him into this dumb joke character. I can handle stupid insanity, but not when it compromises one of the game's central character's.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The lie was calling it a VS. game because Layton showing up as a prosecutor wasn't an actual fight (because Phoenix would have won). Instead, it's just an unbelievably bad info dump you inflict upon yourself by selecting evidence a piece at a time.

We know that development of the game went through a lot of changes and iterations but we don't know exactly what they were. I choose to believe Level 5 refused to let Layton look bad at any time and that resulted in Phoenix looking dumb and Layton being a complete Mary Sue. Kind of like how Kratos had Fatalaties on him changed in MK9 so he didn't look "silly" while being killed.

Kratos can have his head chopped open but he can't have a trophy stabbed into his neck hole.

Layton can oppose Phoenix in the courtroom but he can't ever be wrong in an argument.

Waffleman_ posted:

Having Phoenix best Layton in any way would have opposed their explicit intentions behind Layton's conception, which was literally "Let's make Phoenix Wright better."

They failed. :colbert:

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 30, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Having Phoenix best Layton in any way would have opposed their explicit intentions behind Layton's conception, which was literally "Let's make Phoenix Wright better."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Nah, he had a pretty rad role to play in all cases, specially in Golden Court. The final bit was more a hamfisted attempt at redoing 2-4 with both sides working solely to find the truth rather than Nick being lead on, though that does happen quite a lot, specially in the bits where you as Layton present evidence but by the end it's clear they're working on the same page.

Heck, after the Golden Court Nick starts really becoming a part on the puzzle solving as well, they should've rechecked which characters show up on the "solved" cutscenes things (there's a specially bad one on the tower of bad puzzles where Luke goes "i'll solve this one!" and when you finish it it's Layton who gets the "solved" cutscene) and the key puzzle was a very cool way of mixing them both together and making it clear Nick's type intelligence was good for puzzles.

It could've been way better balanced, but eh, the cases themselves are still good, the puzzles are good, just because it's not a perfect combination of both games doesn't mean it's bad, it was still a solid 4 cases and with games like AAI out there I can't believe someone could consider this a not good game.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 30, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Layton should've stayed dead after the Golden Court.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The real crime is Maya never got to bust out the ol' Kurain Channeling Technique and prove she is a real spirit medium to Layton's smug face

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Evidence is everything in court, Waffleman.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The real crime is Maya never got to bust out the ol' Kurain Channeling Technique and prove she is a real spirit medium to Layton's smug face

It's weird that she never summons Mia, yeah. I mean, I get Phoenix is supposed to be an Ace Attorney that doesn't need her now, but the game doesn't treat him like one.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
A single line going "Witches are burned alive here, so maybe don't do the magic looking thing," would have been sufficient for not having any Mia action. Then they go ahead and have Luke literally talk to animals because boys can't be witches so that magic is fine, I guess.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Yeah, the Mia thing I assumed was just that Nick is an odd version of his character in which he's done T&T stuff but is about as confident and skilled as he was in the middle of JFA, it's an odd thing. What would've been perfect is a bit where Maya tries and fails to channel Kira to get answers, just a short exchange where Layton shows doubts of her skills and then we find out it didn't work because she was still alive.

Anyways I'll be leaving AAI2 for a rainy day, so now i'm going back to the first game I played: AA5, which i couldn't finish because my 3DS somehow got super hosed up in the middle of case 4, corrupted that game's data (and a few others) and I didn't want to go through all those hours of story just to get where I was. Over a year later this is kinda the best case scenario, this opening cutscene is so much more important now that I know exactly what had happened.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Evidence is everything in court, Waffleman.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-21-inafune-surprised-layton-wright-happened

quote:

Hino also said Phoenix Wright's influence on the hugely popular Professor Layton games in the interview, acknowledging that "from the outset, Professor Layton owed a lot to Phoenix Wright in some ways...

"We researched the good and bad points of Phoenix Wright, developed the good points and overcame what I saw as the bad points - that's how we created Professor Layton."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's weird because Layton is just Sherlock Holmes without the heroin addiction and smugness.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Puzzles are the purest form of heroin.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wasn't it cocaine?

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

"I strongly recommend a 100% solution to this puzzle. Would you care to try it?"

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ace Pachinko has a pretty sweet theme

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Anime starts April 2.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime starts April 2.

I'm gonna have to watch every second of this in the hopes it gets more aren't I

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime starts April 2.

Yessssss

I've been playing through AA5, which is how I had gotten into the franchise about a year and a half ago but during Case 4 my 3DS had some problems where it shut down if it was opened past the first clicky thing and it ultimately lead to corrupted data and stuff, anyways back then it was a really good way to enter the franchise, very accessible with how it used its characters and how much it helped players. Now that I've gone through all localized games it's extra-easy since it asks for very simple things that I've already come to expect, like someone mentioning fingerprints and I automatically go prove the inconsistency with it. Still, the story is pretty neat and good so far, specially nice now that I can appreciate the references to previous stuff and idk i'm writing too many words to say "AA5 is a fun game, it's easy but that's good to attract new players"

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm gonna have to watch every second of this in the hopes it gets more aren't I

Watching doesn't really do much I don't believe. Better hope it does well in home sales!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They also announced the writer, Atsuhiro Tomioka, who has worked on the Pokemon anime, of course writing under the supervision of Takumi.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So Phoenix is going to be the same age for the whole thing? :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It also seems that the full title of the anime is Gyakuten Saiban - This "Truth", OBJECTION!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So Phoenix is going to be the same age for the whole thing? :v:

Wasn't it doing AA1 and JFA? He'll get at least one year older.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope all the fansubs keep the California thing going.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If it gets an official stream, then yeah, it'll use localized terms for licensing purposes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Raxivace posted:

I hope all the fansubs keep the California thing going.

Yeah right. We'll be lucky if the fansubs don't write HIS NAME ISN"T PHOENIX WRIGHT every time they have "Naruhodo" in the subtitles.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They also announced the writer, Atsuhiro Tomioka, who has worked on the Pokemon anime, of course writing under the supervision of Takumi.

What were they involved in for the Pokemon anime

E: They did all the later Ash vs. Paul episodes so I'm willing to believe

Oh hey, they also did the episode where Krabby wipes some idiot's team all by itself

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 5, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fansubs nowadays are 99% (barely) edited official subs, so

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

And some of them trend more liberal than official subs. Depending on which service picks it up, there's a chance you might get something dumb like "Phoenix Wright-san".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Strange Quark posted:

Well those are the "fansubs" that are literally just ripping the official subs and pirating them.

• Locked thread