Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sickening posted:

Modern is about to start. I expect some magic cards are about to get even more expensive during this weekend.

what are you guys watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

niss-uh or nees-ah?

I swear it should be nees-ah, because I know a Nissa IRL and it's sure not niss-uh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DigitalMocking posted:

The pro tour?

It appears the dumb oath part of the story was all Maro... figures.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I do it because I get all fidgety with my hands when I'm thinking. Someone I played cards with over 10 year ago showed up at my shop a while back and pointed out that they remembered the very specific way I move the cards around in my hand while playing, and we weren't watching pros back then. The people that do it where it makes that loud as gently caress flicking noise are annoying and I've told them to stop in matches before. The mic on streams always picks it up and makes it sound super loud though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Card flicking isn't a problem and should be expected in a card game.

Playing lands in front is something that should be punished like shiite law

also

rabidsquid posted:

You probably listen to The Eagles

spotted jeffery lebowski itt

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

DigitalMocking posted:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I was so excited and then maro and nagel showed up

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lets Pickle posted:

Yeah this Sigrist vs/ Turtenwald match is particularly bad, they're both sitting there staring each other down shuffling the cards in their hands. It's so loving dumb looking, hopefully they will make a new rule that's like "no doing that during a feature match."

Basically this except with cards instead of lightsabers

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Voyager I posted:

Unfortunately this is pretty much every pro match. Turns out high-level Magic is not a home for the socially adjusted!

Tbh I think the people shuffling cards are a bit more socially adjusted than the dudes who it apparently causes to go into a frothing rage.

En Fuego posted:

For feature matches I kinda wished that they would employ a card holder (something like a scrabble tile holder) and have a 'hole camera' so we/the announcers can see the cards quickly and cleanly.

Plus as an added bonus it would get rid of the flip-flip-flip-flip-flip!
During a lot of pro poker matches you'll see dudes shuffling their hole cards around on the table.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The titans are dead. Good story telling.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Man this story is bad

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Randy B is going to give us the expert opinion on the modern meta.

Seems legit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

Ken Wisenhunt was a really poor hire and their ownership clearly just wants to keep costs low to sell the team so I think this is hyperbolic at best

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it's too bad we didn't get this masterwork on an actual card imo

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sickening posted:

The pro tour?

It appears the dumb oath part of the story was all Maro... figures.

They really wanted a DJ script.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I can't believe nobody thought of lighting them on fire before.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

I can't believe nobody thought of lighting them on fire before.

Ugin probably tried but wotc wouldnt reprint ghostfire or smth.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

Randy B is going to give us the expert opinion on the modern meta.

Seems legit.

It's really cool that a million dollar company, when trying to promote their product, chooses to use a man with the voice of Porky Pig trying to simultaneously talk and drink a glass of water, the brain of Michael Scott from the office, and the body of a candle melted down, molded into a perfect sphere, then melted down again.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Zoness posted:

Ugin probably tried but wotc wouldnt reprint ghostfire or smth.

Hmm. Some combination of 5 Ghostfire and Mirrorpool. That's all it takes to kill Emrakul. How has nobody tried tried this before?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hearing them tell the story I kinda wish one of them would have said "nah gently caress this" and left when they were taking the Oath, it would have made for much better storytelling.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

little munchkin posted:

It's really cool that a million dollar company, when trying to promote their product, chooses to use a man with the voice of Porky Pig trying to simultaneously talk and drink a glass of water, the brain of Michael Scott from the office, and the body of a candle melted down, molded into a perfect sphere, then melted down again.

Why would wizards of the coast change anything when they're selling 20000 gp entrance fees

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

wotc's philosophy appears to boil down to "recruit the absolute minimum number of people possible even if we could have a much better product by recruiting like 4 more"

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Just had it confirmed, hatebears #1 most interactive deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jund and junk is control in modern, glad we cleared this up.

lol so is eldrazi.... incredible.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lot of control decks in Modern. Tin Fins, Affinity, Soul Sisters. Now that Twin is gone, the list of control decks is very large.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GonSmithe posted:

Hearing them tell the story I kinda wish one of them would have said "nah gently caress this" and left when they were taking the Oath, it would have made for much better storytelling.

All the oaths are really bad but Chandra's is the worst because it reads like someone suggested having her say "Uh guys this is stupid?", only for weeks of focus groups and committee meetings and discussions of branding and can-we-make-her-oath-embody-redness-better to churn that down into an awful not-actually-rebellious-in-any-way oath.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Was he talking(/spoiling?) about Affinity/Burn/Eldrazi as the most popular decks this weekend, or was that just for what the feature match will be?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Telex posted:

jesus loving christ does every pro player shuffle their cards in their hand the whole time?

They don't change. You just look like you can't handle being alive and have to do something with your hands.

Like, there's two goddamn cards. Why.
When I have 0-1 cards in hand I can't shuffle them so I just sit there saying "fft fft fft fft fft fft fft fft" until I draw 2+ cards.

This makes me an even better magic player because as we all know, the more "I'm not touching you" antics you can pull, the better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

logis posted:

Was he talking(/spoiling?) about Affinity/Burn/Eldrazi as the most popular decks this weekend, or was that just for what the feature match will be?

Yep, I would assume those decks are about to spike.

Everything affinity, burn, and infect is about to go up up up again.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

logis posted:

I believe that was the most popular decks this weekend. I'm really interested to see what kind of Eldrazi stuff they end up with.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Tbh I think the people shuffling cards are a bit more socially adjusted than the dudes who it apparently causes to go into a frothing rage.

During a lot of pro poker matches you'll see dudes shuffling their hole cards around on the table.

It's more like, we turn the stream off, not a frothing rage but whatever floats your boat.

Better than looking like you're trying to hold in last night's taco bell marathon and sweating while sitting down but okay.

And no, people do not flick poker cards in a live tournament at all. You will get a warning, then you will get disqualified if you pick your cards up off the table at any point in the game unless you're 90 and somehow playing Draw Poker.

Chips, people shuffle the gently caress out of those all the time and the sound is much less annoying and the broadcasts tend to use proper microphones that don't pick the sound up as prominently.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

And Wizards cuts to a mac desktop instead of the booth, great job.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I for one am glad that in our first feature match, as a break from standard, we get to see two different 3 color midrange decks filled with good cards going at it

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Telex posted:

It's more like, we turn the stream off, not a frothing rage but whatever floats your boat.

Better than looking like you're trying to hold in last night's taco bell marathon and sweating while sitting down but okay.

And no, people do not flick poker cards in a live tournament at all. You will get a warning, then you will get disqualified if you pick your cards up off the table at any point in the game unless you're 90 and somehow playing Draw Poker.

Chips, people shuffle the gently caress out of those all the time and the sound is much less annoying and the broadcasts tend to use proper microphones that don't pick the sound up as prominently.

Tbh turning the stream off because a dude is shuffling cards around is kinda raging, but whatever floats your boat.

And players do shuffle their cards on the table constantly in poker tourneys. They don't pick them up, but they shuffle them around while they're lying flat (which is what I said). The whole point is that lots of people who aren't autistic goons don't need complete stillness and silence to play games.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Tbh turning the stream off because a dude is shuffling cards around is kinda raging, but whatever floats your boat.

And players do shuffle their cards on the table constantly in poker tourneys. They don't pick them up, but they shuffle them around while they're lying flat (which is what I said). The whole point is that lots of people who aren't autistic goons don't need complete stillness and silence to play games.

oh, ok.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

alansmithee posted:

No amount of magic hand shuffling will ever be as obnoxious as a table full of poker players shuffling chip stacks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Everyone knows fidgeting helps you burn calories. They're just watching their weight.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wow Telex you are so mad right now, haha, hahahaah!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Elyv posted:

I for one am glad that in our first feature match, as a break from standard, we get to see two different 3 color midrange decks filled with good cards going at it

At least we get goyf instead of rhinos, I guess.

Also I do understand trying to get people interested in the pros as players, but I don't think showing some elitist clique of magic dudes is really the best way of going about that.

• Locked thread